Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras - Gah :)

• 15-07-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭

Just got a fine in the door,

Had a feeling I got clocked just over the speed limit yesterday, but this one is from the 05 July, The Police Force down south from me obviously got a shiny new van ! :(

128 in a 120 is a fine of 38 Euros + an Admin fee of 6 euros.

Second offence in this range is 63 euros
    Third offence is 120 euros.

And also theres a sliding scale across the range
    LINK

I've a feeling i've at least 1 more coming in the post, passed a van parked in come bushes with a camera hidden behind an emergency phone on the Motorway.

I mean you do 125 and its 80 euros, someone else does 145 and its 80 euros.

Whereas here it would be
    125 - 31 euro on the Motorway.
    145 - 168 euro on the Motorway.

With regard to why I was speeding, well really its because if the Motorway is any way busy its actually hard to drive 120 on the nose, mainly because people do slightly higher than the speed limit, so if your driving along at 120 then there no space to pull out and you have to slow down to around 100 to match the Vehicle in the right lane, then pull out when you have a gap. This gets annoying after the 14th or 15th time :) and when your doing it every day.. gahh.

Got me thinking though, do you think a sliding scale system is more fair than a flat 80 euro fine as in Ireland.

They have points here also but not for older drivers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

With regard to why I was speeding, well really its because if the Motorway is any way busy its actually hard to drive 120 on the nose, mainly because people do slightly higher than the speed limit, so if your driving along at 120 then there no space to pull out and you have to slow down to around 100 to match the Vehicle in the right lane, then pull out when you have a gap. This gets annoying after the 14th or 15th time :) and when your doing it every day.. gahh.
    I might be misunderstanding this but if you're having problems driving at the speed limit because others around you are going slower, I don't see how going even faster helps ?

But I totally agree with your main point a sliding scale would be very sensible, and IMO should be based on the percentage over the speed limit you are, and allow for aggrevating factors. For e.g. 30kph over the limit on a quiet 120kph motorway isn't very dangerous and therefore should only be lightly penalised. 30kph over a 50kph limit is arguably more dangerous and should be more harshly penalised. 30kph over a 50kph limit outside a busy school with kids running in and out between their mummy's SUVs is more dangerous again, and again should be penalised more harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

8 Km/h over the limit and you got finned?

Seriously there is no way you can tell from a cluster you are 8Km/h over with many cars on the road. Simply because they are not 100% accurate. Some are digital, but still I doubt they are 100% accurate.

That should be fought in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

bmstuff wrote: »
    8 Km/h over the limit and you got finned?

Thats because its a money making racket, nothing more.:rolleyes:

...it is Ireland after all:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats because its a money making racket, nothing more.:rolleyes:

...it is Ireland after all:mad:

the op isn't in Ireland. You'd not get a ticket for 128 in a 120 here generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

stevenmu wrote: »
    I might be misunderstanding this but if you're having problems driving at the speed limit because others around you are going slower, I don't see how going even faster helps ?

You drive in the right hand lane at 120.

A car is coming up the overtaking lane and will speed up to get past you so you cannot pull out before you can overtake the truck, you end up with a line of cars travelling 130/140 in the overtaking lane and you get stuck behind the truck doing 100, then you repeat the process all over again at next truck, 120, slow down to 100 etc. The other option is to pull out at 120 and block the cars doing 130/140, but this is illegal also.

I prefer to drive with the speed of surrounding traffic rather than stick to the exact limit.

Seriosuly though... they are speed camera mad here, forget those GoSafe Vans :)

E.G.

Speed Wheelie Bin
    kliko009.jpg

Speed Trailer Tent:
    aanhanger002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You drive in the right hand lane at 120.

A car is coming up the overtaking lane and will speed up to get past you so you cannot pull out before you can overtake the truck
    Ah, you're in a country where you drive on the right hand side, I was assuming you were in a left-hand side system, that does make sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I've a feeling i've at least 1 more coming in the post, passed a van parked in some bushes with a camera hidden behind an emergency phone on the Motorway.

Nah - Not in Ireland anyway

Advertisement