Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Ireland rapper show

• 16-02-2012 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Will this be the final nail in the coffin for Irish rap music, I just seen the ad , it looks like they have found the biggest eejits in Dublin and found out they are rappers and did a documentary on them . I so look foreward to it , I think its on RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

what is the purpose of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Somebody better tell the Cork rappers they are from Dublin, quick smart they should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I thought we could keep running commentary on the show from rap fans points of view.

Final nail in all rap or irish rap?

Final nail in all rap or irish rap?
    I did say Irish rp didnt I? OOps sorry I didnt Ill fix that .

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    I did say Irish rp didnt I? OOps sorry I didnt Ill fix that .

that's why i hadn't a clue what this thread was gonna be about tbh:P

It still makes no sense, if anything this will make it grow a little.

Although it does have a bit of cringe in places by the looks/discussions of it.

Yeah mofo the RTE cant capture our chika chika coolness. My flow blow ten holes in your corn roles tenfold. In Co Down they spit rythmes like Chris Brown . He doesnt rythme ye clown he beats women with downs.
    If RTE are listening Im ready for my close up.:pac:

Boards needs a thumbs down button for post like the one above.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Didn't see the show myself, but that is the second feature of Irish Hip Hop on RTE in a month or so.
    That's quite the achievement fo IHH.

• Advertisement

Boards needs a thumbs down button for post like the one above.
    Your so right Conor but making little comments everytime I post in here would also get a thumbs down , it was a silly rythme kind of an example of which I think they will be blasting in this show. Maybe they will prove me wrong . This was the reason for it.
    This is not your forum , please stop trying to control whats said in it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Your so right Conor but making little comments everytime I post in here would also get a thumbs down , it was a silly rythme kind of an example of which I think they will be blasting in this show. Maybe they will prove me wrong . This was the reason for it.
    This is not your forum , please stop trying to control whats said in it.

Leave the moderating to the moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Claptrap is crazy lol, he obviously knows nothing about ihh.
    ihh is amazing, any sort of shine is good as it will bring the untapped talent to a wider audience that has no clue what it's missing out on.
    Anyone who doesn't agree has NEVER listened to ihh.

This time next year ihh will be dominating charts the world over.

Hugh Cream wrote: »

No one said that, but it will definitely give it a boost.

Also as I said some of the people who seem to be featured in the show are from Cork, not just Dublin.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Claptrap is crazy lol, he obviously knows nothing about ihh.
    ihh is amazing, any sort of shine is good as it will bring the untapped talent to a wider audience that has no clue what it's missing out on.
    Anyone who doesn't agree has NEVER listened to ihh.

Sarcasm doesn't impress anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

Is this the one?
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/realitybites/thisweek.html

From the above site:

This documentary follows some of the bizarre and unusual characters who inhabit the Irish rap scene. Amongst them is Redzer, a charismatic 28-year-old who fronts one of Ireland's leading rap bands, the Class A'z. Redzer whose real name is Kieron Ryan comes from Coolock in North Dublin and sees rap as a means of breaking into the mainstream music industry.
    Along with fellow rappers Terawrizt and Siyo they have produced an enormous back catalogue of songs and videos which have brought them a considerable internet following but as yet no commercial success.

The pop influenced style of the Class A'z is contrasted within the programme by the more idealistic Working Class Army, a Finglas and Blanchardstown rap collective who pursue a more purist form of hip hop.

The Working Class Army includes rapper Lethal Dialect, known to his mother as 23-year-old Paul Alwright who we meet during the making of his second album. Lethal Dialect hopes that this EP will prove to be the breakthrough album for Irish hip hop and allow the band overtake the Class A'z as the number one Irish hip hop act.

There has in fact been a long running feud between the Class A'z and the Working Class Army not unlike the feuds which have broken out amongst American rap stars such as Jay-Z and 50 Cent.
    The feud between the Dublin rappers is explored within the film as is the rap battle scene made famous by the Eminem film 8 Mile. Like in America,

Irish rappers also attempt to settle their differences by having rap battles in underground clubs which are judged by their peers. The threats and insults traded by rival rappers at these events almost have to be seen to be believed and whilst the footage may seem more reminiscent of an illegal fight club, actual violence is rare.

The film also features 24-year-old Elayne Harrington, a rapper from Finglas who goes by the stage name Temper-Mental MissElayneous. MissElayneous is one of Ireland's most outspoken rappers with a unique style of performance which has made her one of the country's most exciting and provocative solo performers in any musical style.
    She is joined in the programme by Cork rappers the Rebel Faction namely Matamatik and Genesis, expert exponents of the unique tongue-twisting style of rap which is associated with the Rebel County and often referred to as 'lyrical jibberish'.

The Irish rap scene has been bubbling under the surface for a number of years and whilst the only Irish rap bands who have achieved any sort of success to date have been comedy acts, this film shows that this is in fact a highly creative and dedicated subculture with a cast of incredible and sometimes barely believable characters.

No one said that, but it will definitely give it a boost.

Also as I said some of the people who seem to be featured in the show are from Cork, not just Dublin.
    Word, I really feel redzer and the boys will do us proud, I feared it may come off as a bit embarrassing and shyt but their just so talented I can't see that being the case.
    I hope people just listen to the knowledge their dropping, god I hope this is the shot in the arm we all need.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Sarcasm doesn't impress anybody.

Lets keep a discussion going here about the topic at hand.

Is this on the rte player?

• Advertisement

Badhb wrote: »

Has not been aired yet.

Badhb wrote: »
    Is this the one?
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/realitybites/thisweek.html

From the above site:

This documentary follows some of the bizarre and unusual characters who inhabit the Irish rap scene. Amongst them is Redzer, a charismatic 28-year-old who fronts one of Ireland's leading rap bands, the Class A'z. Redzer whose real name is Kieron Ryan comes from Coolock in North Dublin and sees rap as a means of breaking into the mainstream music industry.
    Along with fellow rappers Terawrizt and Siyo they have produced an enormous back catalogue of songs and videos which have brought them a considerable internet following but as yet no commercial success.

The pop influenced style of the Class A'z is contrasted within the programme by the more idealistic Working Class Army, a Finglas and Blanchardstown rap collective who pursue a more purist form of hip hop.

The Working Class Army includes rapper Lethal Dialect, known to his mother as 23-year-old Paul Alwright who we meet during the making of his second album. Lethal Dialect hopes that this EP will prove to be the breakthrough album for Irish hip hop and allow the band overtake the Class A'z as the number one Irish hip hop act.

There has in fact been a long running feud between the Class A'z and the Working Class Army not unlike the feuds which have broken out amongst American rap stars such as Jay-Z and 50 Cent.
    The feud between the Dublin rappers is explored within the film as is the rap battle scene made famous by the Eminem film 8 Mile. Like in America,

Irish rappers also attempt to settle their differences by having rap battles in underground clubs which are judged by their peers. The threats and insults traded by rival rappers at these events almost have to be seen to be believed and whilst the footage may seem more reminiscent of an illegal fight club, actual violence is rare.

The film also features 24-year-old Elayne Harrington, a rapper from Finglas who goes by the stage name Temper-Mental MissElayneous. MissElayneous is one of Ireland's most outspoken rappers with a unique style of performance which has made her one of the country's most exciting and provocative solo performers in any musical style.
    She is joined in the programme by Cork rappers the Rebel Faction namely Matamatik and Genesis, expert exponents of the unique tongue-twisting style of rap which is associated with the Rebel County and often referred to as 'lyrical jibberish'.

The Irish rap scene has been bubbling under the surface for a number of years and whilst the only Irish rap bands who have achieved any sort of success to date have been comedy acts, this film shows that this is in fact a highly creative and dedicated subculture with a cast of incredible and sometimes barely believable characters.

You just know they are going to try create some coolock v finglas drivebys, rap battles in underground clubs etc , eight mile getting mentioned ,
    I reckon itll be the butt of a lotta wannabe 8 mile jokes. Fair play to the lads for giving it a go , maybe a single or album soundtrack will chart off the back of the show , but I cant see anyone making a million .

Ye that whole "beef"/"battle" thing is nonsense, if they wanted they could have covered DFI or some other actual battles.

IHH is never going to make millions, like a lot of irish music.

You just know they are going to try create some coolock v finglas drivebys, rap battles in underground clubs etc , eight mile getting mentioned ,
    I reckon itll be the butt of a lotta wannabe 8 mile jokes. Fair play to the lads for giving it a go , maybe a single or album soundtrack will chart off the back of the show , but I cant see anyone making a million .
    your wrong, so wrong.
    who leaves the dfi videos, is it redzer? hope he remembers us when he breaks, i want a shout out when he wins his first award.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Some proper cringeworthy posts on this thread!

I dont really understand the level of vitriol in some quarters here against irish hip hop. Hip Hop is a genre that has been interpreted worldwide, for anybody remotely aquainted with hip hop culture it should not be so absurd to witness an unashamed domestic scene develop in stages.

It shouldnt be talked up unduly nor slated as a whole. But i think there are some artists at the moment who are getting picked up on by people outside those who would usually check for irish hip hop and taken seriously ( not "ironically") which is a bit of a breakthrough. I look forward to seeing the scene further develop over the coming years.

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    Some proper cringeworthy posts on this thread!

I dont really understand the level of vitriol in some quarters here against irish hip hop. Hip Hop is a genre that has been interpreted worldwide, for anybody remotely aquainted with hip hop culture it should not be so absurd to witness an unashamed domestic scene develop in stages.

It shouldnt be talked up unduly nor slated as a whole. But i think there are some artists at the moment who are getting picked up on by people outside those who would usually check for irish hip hop and taken seriously ( not "ironically") which is a bit of a breakthrough. I look forward to seeing the scene further develop over the coming years.

Fo real dawg.

To think only americans should rap goes completely against what hip-hop is.

To think only americans should rap goes completely against what hip-hop is.
    Preach, drop some knowledge on these fools conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

Maybe. but is making a million the point???Really????

hip hop is a global movement, far as I see it, something that enables young, angry and usually marginalised, or disenfranchised people to express their voice. What's wrong with that?

If it isn't some silly attempt to portray Irish people copying the yanks, if it actually is just a genuine portrayal of young peoole learning and emulating the craft from those who have broken through the glass ceilings/barriers in the states, where's the harm in that?

Look it, I haven't seen the programme yet. Lookin forward to it though. Might be good. Might be awful. I just thought it would interesting what people on this forum thought about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Yeah to be honest I think it will spread awareness amongst people who wouldn't know much about IHH, so it's quite an achievement actually. The average Irish person is clueless about IHH, but since everyone watches RTE, they will get a chance to see how good it actually is.

Anyone know what time and date it's on by the way?

Advertisement