Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MOTU]Synchronicity

• 28-03-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Do you notice much synchronicity? I have noticed lots of it and today a couple of friends have mentioned that subjects I brought up (at random, they kind of popped into my head or I saw them elsewhere and mentioned them in conversation and in online conversation)- have been mentioned elsewhere today, after years of nobody really talking about the topic.

I've never been able to work out what meaning, if any, there could be to these synchronistic little events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 strangelyBrown

Here's one for you. I was going to post it in one of these forums but never got around to it. I'll explain in mind-numbing detail and you can make of it what you will.

Several years ago, 5-7 I'd say, I had a thought in work about a scene from a movie that was on tv when I was quite young. It stayed with me because my father found it quite funny and at the time I didn't really know what was going on. So, I was thinking about this scene at lunch for a moment and trying to figure out who the actor was.

The scene itself goes like this: there's a salesman in an electronics store and he's trying to sell this massive set of speakers to a shopper who looks like a rocker dude. The salesman is trying really hard to sell this speaker cabinet, even though the customer doesn't seem to be able to afford it. To try and make the sale, the salesman exclaims that the cabinet is so big, the customer can even be buried in it when he dies. The customer appears to be sold on the idea now, but then his wife shows up with a child. The salesman feels kind of guilty and then convinces the customer to go for something else.

Anyway, some time later in the week when I arrived home from work, I threw myself on the sofa and contemplated the meaning of life and other thoughts one has when they have a spare moment. I gave another thought to the scene from the film but still couldn't place the actor or anything else about the film. So, I decided to turn on the tv. And the very first channel that's on is showing the same film, and at that moment starts on the very scene I was thinking about and have described above.

Now, it's possible that I overheard the name of the movie in work, and my subconscious picked up on it. However, I don't bother with tv guides and our tv package at the time was analogue UPC, so no chance that I would have seen the movie name earlier in the week or figured out what time to turn on the tv. I've had other small instances of synchronicity every so often but this one is the biggest/weirdest that's ever happened to me.

The name of the film is Ruthless People and the actor in the particular scene is Judge Reinhold. Quality stuff :)

Advertisement