Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic Boom Heard over Cork 90's

• 17-07-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hello, Does any one remember a loud sonic boom being heard over cork in the 90's. I am not sure of the year i can remember being a kid and hearing this load noise that i think was a sonic boom and remember all the windows shaking in the house. My father would was in the navy said at the time it was a sonic boom as he said he heard them all the time while they where out in the Atlantic with the navy. Is there any reports around of what this was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Never heard of that. I've watched countless documentaries on the subject though and I'd say it could possibly have been a U.S black budget aircraft. Infamous SR-91 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

could have been a concorde maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Concorde is a strong possibility yeah, British airways and airfrance would both have had trans-atlantic flights in the 90's, possibly breaking the sound barrier before they should have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

It was probably Concorde. I grew up in Kerry and the sound of Concorde was fairly regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Feckin' Concorde, ruining my beliefs of a Government cover-up! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Duff wrote: »
    Feckin' Concorde, ruining my beliefs of a Government cover-up! :(

I think anyone who doesn't believe that there are black-budget experimental craft out there flying around, needs to wake up & smell the roses. It's been happening for the last 60 years, no reason to think its any different today. But in this particular case, yeah, I think Concorde would be a more rational explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

Concorde's flight path brought it out over Cornwall and to the south of Cork. Once they got out over water and away from land, they fairly quickly accelerated and went mach so odds are extremely high that it was Concorde.

I remember the Concorde flying over Wexford at 4:45 every afternoon. During the winter it was always my alarm for time to untack the pony and head home before dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

budgese wrote: »
    I remember the Concorde flying over Wexford at 4:45 every afternoon. During the winter it was always my alarm for time to untack the pony and head home before dark!

Yeah I used to spend summer's during the 90s in Wexford and can remember the Concorde flying overhead.
    It made a real deep bass sounding long boom which kinda hopped along. ..

Geomy wrote: »
    Yeah I used to spend summer's during the 90s in Wexford and can remember the Concorde flying overhead.
    It made a real deep bass sounding long boom which kinda hopped along. ..

Yup, the windows in the house used to give a bit of a bang too. Was really cool! Hard to explain to anyone who hadn't heard it, it was a real "whoomp", and you felt it as much as heard it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Concorde, you could hear it most days over cork around midday back in the 80's and up until it stopped flying. There was a small forest near our house and the sound would drive every pheasant out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭68deville

Concorde went from subsonic to supersonic once out over the Bristol Channel
    Drove every cock pheasant mad!

Advertisement