Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[FEEDBACK] any suggestions on how to improve the forum? post them here.

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, if you think we could do things better, post your thoughts here.

Any questions on the forum rules should go in the [trading rules] thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Good evening ,
    Can I put an idea on the table ?
    in the Adverts section in the shooting forum you can edit your add, to ''wanted '', ''sale'',''sold'' ,just an idea it would help and stop adds from 2 years coming back

as said just an idea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Good idea, I'll ask the developers about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Villafan6

whydave wrote: »
    Good evening ,
    in the Adverts section in the shooting forum you can edit your add, to ''wanted '', ''sale'',''sold'' ,just an idea it would help and stop adds from 2 years coming back

as said just an idea

+1 for that it's a great Idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

Maybe a Bump button on adverts.ie with a 24 hour cooldown, stop people posting comments like

BUMP

that way mods wont have to tell people to stop bumping due to its cool down.

I think a thread should be made where you can trade non-airsoft stuff for airsoft gear, because no-one really looks at adverts for airsoft trade

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

whydave wrote: »
    Good evening ,

as said just an idea

I know it's technically possible within the forum software - something like:
    [FOR SALE]
    [FOR TRADE]
    [WANTED]
    [SOLD]

What other tags would we need?

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    Maybe a Bump button on adverts.ie with a 24 hour cooldown, stop people posting comments like

BUMP

that way mods wont have to tell people to stop bumping due to its cool down.
    Interesting, I read a while back about something where user couldn't reply to their own thread within a certain period unless someone else replied first.
    I honestly can't remember if it was to do with boards or adverts.
    Villafan6 wrote: »
    I think a thread should be made where you can trade non-airsoft stuff for airsoft gear, because no-one really looks at adverts for airsoft trade
    Would be interested in other peoples opinions on this because these type of ads are normally complained about.

I thought that as well but I think people didn't like them because they took up room and got in the way, but if it had it's own section it should be ok, i think
    just my opinion though

What do you mean by 'its own section'?

I was thinking you should have it's own section in airsoft, like airsoft adverts, airsoft questions etc

• Advertisement

called "sortof Airsoft adverts"? :D

I doubt the admins would approve something like that - this forum only exists because mods on adverts.ie don't know enough about Airsoft stuff and the legalities surrounding it. I include myself in that by the way but at least here, I have the other mods and Airsoft community to point out if something's wrong.

I think that the fact you can offer non airsoft items as trades here is about as far we could push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I think, if it was possible, for a person to have a certain post count (nothing major, just around 25) before they can start a thread in the adverts section would cut down on the amount of people starting a thread with no knowledge of the rules/guidelines for posting.

And, on that note, if it was possible to force people to read the charter, that would definitely help aswell. I know that may not be feasible, but worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

There should be a a info bar type thing where you have to put pics,specs,name etc. Before placing an ad.
    +1 on the bump thing and latest and oldest thread :)

ok just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Steve wrote: »
    [FOR SALE]
    [FOR TRADE]
    [WANTED]
    [SOLD]
    +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Moderators should be graded similar to the Feedback system on adverts. If it can be done for Users Im positive it can be done for mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

[FOR SALE]
    [FOR TRADE]
    [WANTED]
    [SOLD]

What other tags would we need?

[For Sale/Trade]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

maybe singular items or multiple items option?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭*DOBBY*

If bumping is going to be tolerated have a 7 day cool down period.
    I think there is a need for wanted ads seperate to sale ads.
    I've just been observing the ads forum due to having a couple of ads in it and I'm blown away at the ammount of selfish bumping going on and lack of respect to other users.
    Just my 1 cent (there is a recession on after all:))

I'll look at the bumping rule and tighten up the definition a bit regarding time between bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

*DOBBY* wrote: »
    I think there is a need for wanted ads seperate to sale ads.

Just wanted to add some background information here for Steve (unless he's already copped it/been told by someone else/told by me but I can't remember);

The suggestion of separating for-sale and wanted items has cropped up before a few times. The reason why it has - to date - been left as is (any other issues regarding this put aside for the moment) was that if the wanted ads were moved into their own dedicated sub-forum, nobody not looking for something would really go in there, instead posting a FS thread on the "main" airsoft adverts forum instead. Thus, a lot of traffic would just get ignored and we'd have people either constantly creating new ads, getting frustrated with their search, or bumping like hell. It was felt that by keeping them together, there would be a lot more foot-traffic through them so to speak and that one would literally feed the other.

What I think has happened in addition to the above is that there's a number of users (some new perhaps and simply unaware of how it - the forum and forum software in general - all works) who aren't bothering to have a rudimentary read/search through adverts before creating their own thread - or don't understand that threads disappear off the front page and then go create a new ad every day for example.

Thanks Lemming.

I don't think there's a need for a separate forum, if I get off my ass and do something about the thread prefixes, it should go a long way towards addressing that.

As regards bumping, I'd like to tie it down to something solid.

What do you think about a rule saying:

You can bump once every three days up to a maximum of three bumps. If nobody replies after three bumps then you cannot bump again unless it's to post a price drop or other significant change.
    If you get a reply, for example after two bumps, you then start again and get three bumps from the date of the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

That's a great idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A requirement for a seller to post their location in their ad would be helpful too and stop the first few posts being the obligatory "Where are you based?" etc.

Blay wrote: »
    A requirement for a seller to post their location in their ad would be helpful too and stop the first few posts being the obligatory "Where are you based?" etc.
    Valid point but a difficult one to moderate imo.
    Allowances have to be made for new users - most tend not to read the rules till they're pointed out to them. Established users tend to think that 'you already know where I am'.
    I can see the benefit of a rule being put in place but would have to think hard about whether it should be enforced more rigidly than posting a polite reminder to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Blay wrote: »

An odd suggestion from somebody who lists his location as (somewhere bolow area 51)
    I think it would be more helpfull if everybody had there location below their avitar
    I am not looking for a specific location just a general area like mine Co Clare and it is a big county
    The above suggestion will not stop people from not reading it, there are alot of seasoned users here who will still ask where are you based

DeBurca wrote: »
    An odd suggestion from somebody who lists his location as (somewhere bolow area 51)
    I think it would be more helpfull if everybody had there location below their avitar
    I am not looking for a specific location just a general area like mine Co Clare and it is a big county
    The above suggestion will not stop people from not reading it, there are alot of seasoned users here who will still ask where are you based
    To be fair, your location in your boards profile can't be enforced here. look at mine as an example. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

To be fair, your location in your boards profile can't be enforced here. look at mine as an example. :)

I take your point, all I am asking is a rough guide your county perhaps
    I can drive 70+ miles and still be in Clare
    A lot of users just say Dublin and it is great to have a guide

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭*DOBBY*

As regards bumping, I'd like to tie it down to something solid.

What do you think about a rule saying:

You can bump once every three days up to a maximum of three bumps. If nobody replies after three bumps then you cannot bump again unless it's to post a price drop or other significant change.
    If you get a reply, for example after two bumps, you then start again and get three bumps from the date of the reply.
    Might be an idea to stress or give example for 'significant change' as peoples ideas will vary as t what is significant or not.

On a side note , Thanks for your work and effort into the Airsoft forum in general. It sure ain't easy.:)

• Advertisement

DeBurca wrote: »
    I take your point, all I am asking is a rough guide your county perhaps
    I can drive 70+ miles and still be in Clare
    A lot of users just say Dublin and it is great to have a guide
    Good point and duly noted.
    *DOBBY* wrote: »
    Might be an idea to stress or give example for 'significant change' as peoples ideas will vary as t what is significant or not.

On a side note , Thanks for your work and effort into the Airsoft forum in general. It sure ain't easy.:)
    Therin lies the mod dillema - leaving a rule open to someone's (mods) opinion is always going to be contested and will lead to a witch hunt when two borderline cases are treated differently. Making it hard and fast and irrevocable will inevitably lead so someone innocent being hard done by. 'signifigant change' will always be an open issue, if you've any thoughts on how to define it then please offer them..

/side note, thanks :)

Advertisement