Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbie with good tech knowledge seeks help re. torrents, private tracker sites, vpn's

Options
  • 28-06-2015 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As stated above in the title, I am a newbie to this side of things but i do have a good tech knowledge! I am with eircom isp with approx. 8mb down but .5 upwards! I recently got invited to a private torrent site which requires a healthy ratio! It was here that I read up on seedboxes! Do I need a good VPN for overall data encryption including surfing, downloading from a variety of free torrent sites as well as others including genuine download sites. Do I need a good VPN to cover general data and a good seedbank to keep my private torrent ratio healthy! I am on a tight budget also? Finally can anyone recommend a VPN and also a seedbox preferably that they have experience with and if my location in Ireland is not a problem ar catered for? Thanks to all who read and comment on this post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Don't think talk of VPN and torrents is allowed though I may be wrong

My advice is to forget about seeding and pay to get rid of your ratio if you can. Trying to keep a ratio with that upload will be very difficult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

^but torrenting isn't illegal, discussing the torrenting of illegal, copyright files isn't allowed though. Unaware on discussing VPNs, this should also be allowed except discussion of using them to get around region blocks etc. shouldn't

Also I agree with the above post, seeding with that would be a nuisance unless you're okay with leaving files seed for days/weeks. Sites like those are honestly only ideal for people with high speed internet like 100D/>10U

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

^but torrenting isn't illegal, discussing the torrenting of illegal, copyright files isn't allowed though. Unaware on discussing VPNs, this should also be allowed except discussion of using them to get around region blocks etc. shouldn't

I was thinking this as the OP doesn't mention anything illegal but was unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spydah

Thanks to jonny666 and DoYouEvenLift for their responsive comments!If I broke any rules with my post, I also apologise!

@jonny666: You are saying that my miserable upload is too low, even to use a seedbox but I thought that having a seedbox was in part to fix this! You say use the money instead to pay to get rid of the ratio! Do you mean in fact possibly paying an all above board and legal site, a donation as a way of earning credits or possibly controlling any related ratio? What about general online privacy? What are the options available to me including vpn? Thanks, spydah79r

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VPN will only slow you down further on that link. I wouldnt bother.

A seedbox will solve your problems, but it'll cost a chunk. Explanation:
    • You rent a seedbox from X
    • Seedbox has say 100Mbps/100Mbps link(shared) to the internet
    • Seedbox can join torrents and download + upload them very well (up to say 200x faster than you can)
    • You dont torrent from your own connection AT ALL. Just pull content over SSH/FTP/SFTP from your own seedbox

In this scenario a VPN isnt required as the content you're pulling, whatever it may be, will be over a tunnel from your seedbox so your ISP sees random noise. Will also mean you wont nuke your home connection with uploads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I have,t looked into it in detail ,
    but there.s free proxy addons extensions for chrome, firefox browser,
    You install the addon then put in an ip on a proxy ip adress into it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/one-click-proxy/

Usage:
    * Using the toolbar button:
    - Just click on the toolbar addon icon(with a black 'P' letter) and there you have buttons to enable/disable and reload the proxy to change your IP address.

* Using the small icons at the bottom right corner, with your addon bar activated, from left to right:
    - First icon('P' letter): left click to activate/deactivate anonymous browsing.
    - Second icon: left click to change the proxy IP that you're using.
    - Third icon: left click to hide/show the "P" button in the navigation toolbar.

http://proxylist.hidemyass.com/

This can slow down your browsing, for video streaming radio streaming.
    eg i would not be bothered using a proxy for watching youtube.com ,rte.ie tv player.

Many business,es use vpns for perfectly legit reasons ,
    for security, transmitting credit card info,financial bank transfers ,customer data,
    people who work from home need a secure data channel,
    thats not vunerable to random hackers on the web.

Some proxy addons require you to go to addon settings put in a proxy ip adress from the uk, usa etc
    some give you a random ip adress .
    i think its against the rules to talk of using any technical method to obtain pirated content , music etc.

Vpns or proxy,s can be used just for security and privacy reasons .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Spydah

Thanks to everyone who was good enough to reply to my post! I'll post an update on the situation soon! :)

Advertisement