Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netherlands

• 03-04-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi folks

I might have need to move to the Netherlands - specifically Arnhem - for a job. I've visited the country twice before and have fond childhood memories but was wondering what it's like to live in. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi folks

I might have need to move to the Netherlands - specifically Arnhem - for a job. I've visited the country twice before and have fond childhood memories but was wondering what it's like to live in. Any advice?

Pros:
    Public Transport is fantastic
    Great roads
    Easy access to other nearby countries
    Lots of Airports to choose from when going to visit Ireland and other places (Eindhoven, Maastricht, Amsterdam, Groningen, Weeze etc)
    Good beer.
    You don't necessarily need a car.
    People are friendly as long as you make an effort to integrate.
    Public services are great.

Cons:
    High Taxes (Divide your salary in half) although if you get the 30% Ruling this is much lower.
    Food isn't great.
    Weather is just as bad as Ireland.
    While services are great, you will be restricted if you do not speak Dutch (e.g. Tax office won't deal with anything officially in English)

We love it here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Pros:

Cons:
    High Taxes (Divide your salary in half) although if you get the 30% Ruling this is much lower.
    Food isn't great.
    While services are great, you will be restricted if you do not speak Dutch (e.g. Tax office won't deal with anything officially in English)

We love it here though.

i'm moving over soon enough for work and was wondering about the taxes, if I have to divide my salary in half, well that has me freaked!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

nbar12 wrote: »
    i'm moving over soon enough for work and was wondering about the taxes, if I have to divide my salary in half, well that has me freaked!

It is a progressive tax rate, so splitting your salary in two would appear to be an exaggeration, unless you are a very high income earner. Google for an online tax calculator to see how it will impact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

About the 30% ruling....

For simplicity, just say your salary is 100k, so only 70k is considered taxable.

Within that 70k, is all of it taxed at 52% rate? So your overall tax rate is 70%*52% = 36.4%. So take home pay would be 63.6k theoretically?

Or is first part of 70k taxed at 30%, then 42%, then 52% etc.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is a progressive tax rate, so splitting your salary in two would appear to be an exaggeration, unless you are a very high income earner. Google for an online tax calculator to see how it will impact you.

IMO after all the calculations, income taxes, city taxes and mandatory heath insurance its about half.

Actually I work in Germany now and its pretty much half also, even though the taxation systems are pretty different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

About the 30% ruling....

For simplicity, just say your salary is 100k, so only 70k is considered taxable.

Within that 70k, is all of it taxed at 52% rate? So your overall tax rate is 70%*52% = 36.4%. So take home pay would be 63.6k theoretically?

Or is first part of 70k taxed at 30%, then 42%, then 52% etc.

The 70k is taxed normally and it becomes your annual salary on your payslip, so each band, pension deduction, etc., is as per normal. At the end of your salary slip, the tax free bit is added on.

100k is around €5900 with the 30% ruling or €4600 without.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Pros:
    Public Transport is fantastic
    Great roads
    Easy access to other nearby countries
    Lots of Airports to choose from when going to visit Ireland and other places (Eindhoven, Maastricht, Amsterdam, Groningen, Weeze etc)
    Good beer.
    You don't necessarily need a car.
    People are friendly as long as you make an effort to integrate.
    Public services are great.

Cons:
    Food isn't great.

We love it here though.

What is wrong with the food Keith ? I am experiencing the opposite as a Dutchman in Ireland

Weather is better then in Ireland IMO warmer in summers colder in Winters specially around Arnhem ...More influence from the continent

You are right when it comes to taxes ... but people must consider that there are a couple of "perks" ..Vakantiegeld en Reiskostenvergoeding for instance (holiday and travel allowances) Holiday allowance is 8%of your yearly income. And you get 70% of your last income when you are made redundant (WW. ... And more Holidays although i dunno how that compares to the extra Bank holidays here.

weisses wrote: »
    What is wrong with the food Keith ? I am experiencing the opposite as a Dutchman in Ireland

Weather is better then in Ireland IMO warmer in summers colder in Winters specially around Arnhem ...More influence from the continent

You are right when it comes to taxes ... but people must consider that there are a couple of "perks" ..Vakantiegeld en Reiskostenvergoeding for instance (holiday and travel allowances) Holiday allowance is 8%of your yearly income. And you get 70% of your last income when you are made redundant (WW. ... And more Holidays although i dunno how that compares to the extra Bank holidays here.

Jesus .. show me a place where they sell a decent leg of lamb that doesn't cost a fortune .. or a butcher that sells a good Sirloin steak and knows the farm where it came from. :)

Tax Wise I'm not saying its a bad thing, merely giving a guideline on what you can expect in your net pay.

Your 13th month is your money anyway, its not charity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jesus .. show me a place where they sell a decent leg of lamb that doesn't cost a fortune.
    Halal butchers are the best option for lamb over there. I used to go to one in Eindhoven for a while (can't remember where it was now, too long ago after I left!)

Just before I left though I discovered a farm that had it's own Halal butchers that also sold direct to the public at very reasonable prices. I'll have a rummage around on Google maps and see if I can figure out where it was again (could take a while!)

OK, I'm fairly confident it's this place out near Oirschot...

http://www.detelefoongids.nl/linden-islam-slachterij-h-j-vd/11725782/5-1/?what=slachthuizen&where=Brabant

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs&ie=UTF-8&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=51.531685,5.302273&cbp=13,86.4,0,0,0&cbll=51.531676,5.302035&q=Meierijsebaan+8&ei=RZV3UvqxOIey7AbAh4HYCg&ved=0CCwQxB0wAA

There's no info on the net about the place apart from contact info, but it seemed to be one of those places you just had to know about rather than find by accident. The only way you'll know if it's the right place is to give them a ring.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Halal butchers are the best option for lamb over there. I used to go to one in Eindhoven for a while (can't remember where it was now, too long ago after I left!)

Just before I left though I discovered a farm that had it's own Halal butchers that also sold direct to the public at very reasonable prices. I'll have a rummage around on Google maps and see if I can figure out where it was again (could take a while!)

Cool .. cheers for that .. will have a look into it.

We also found a Halal butcher in the neighbourhood that's priced a little bit better ... he rarely has good beef though.

:D

Cool .. cheers for that .. will have a look into it.

We also found a Halal butcher in the neighbourhood that's priced a little bit better ... he rarely has good beef though.

:D
    I have just remembered the one we went to was on the Marconiplein, but looking at Google Streetview all the shops seem to be boarded up now. Still, I guess assuming nothing would have changed since I left in 2001 is a bit much :) I still miss the place sometimes!

Alun wrote: »
    I have just remembered the one we went to was on the Marconiplein, but looking at Google Streetview all the shops seem to be boarded up now. Still, I guess assuming nothing would have changed since I left in 2001 is a bit much :) I still miss the place sometimes!

Probably gone now ... that area is a complete dump, I once stopped to buy cigarettes in a shop there ... they were fake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

weisses wrote: »

Had to smile at this - fair play to you standing up for dutch food/weather.

You have to remember that for Irish people travelling to the continent conjures up ideas of Spain or France or Italy i.e. people expect delicious food and great weather. Holland kind of contradicts those stereotypes for irish people!!

People back in Ireland will assume anywhere on continental Europe has better weather than we do, that's why it's necessary to point out clearly - that is not the case for Holland - in fact it rains as much here as it does in parts of Ireland and the winters here are more harsh than ours.

Also the food - the dutch don't have native cuisine that compares with spanish tapas or lovely italian pizzas or french food cooking. So it's not a comparison with irish food (we never claim to have deleicious cuisine in Ireland), it's a comparision with other continental european food! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Had to smile at this - fair play to you standing up for dutch food/weather.

You have to remember that for Irish people travelling to the continent conjures up ideas of Spain or France or Italy i.e. people expect delicious food and great weather. Holland kind of contradicts those stereotypes for irish people!!

People back in Ireland will assume anywhere on continental Europe has better weather than we do, that's why it's necessary to point out clearly - that is not the case for Holland - in fact it rains as much here as it does in parts of Ireland and the winters here are more harsh than ours.

Also the food - the dutch don't have native cuisine that compares with spanish tapas or lovely italian pizzas or french food cooking. So it's not a comparison with irish food (we never claim to have deleicious cuisine in Ireland), it's a comparision with other continental european food! :)

Yes because we're all big potato heads who've only ever been to Santa Ponsa- wtf??

I'm entitled to say I miss Irish food or that I'd like to have better weather where I live- in fact my Dutch neighbours praise food from other countries and also enjoy the few days of good weather we get here.

I swear, smug emigrants really do get up my nose, as the smell of their own farts get up theirs I bet :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

The weather is better in Holland, no question. Substantially more sunshine, hotter summer temperatures. Precipitation days are about the same but heavier rainfall events for certain parts of the year. Colder winters and higher chance of snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Yes because we're all big potato heads who've only ever been to Santa Ponsa- wtf??

I'm entitled to say I miss Irish food or that I'd like to have better weather where I live- in fact my Dutch neighbours praise food from other countries and also enjoy the few days of good weather we get here.

I swear, smug emigrants really do get up my nose, as the smell of their own farts get up theirs I bet :rolleyes:

A smug emigrant? That means you think I''m smug about Ireland. What in my post implied that? A dutch guy said he doesn't understand Irish complaining about dutch food coz in his opinion d food in Ireland isn't good. I replied by explaining d Irish think good food , good weather &continental Europe go hand in hand. How is that me being smug about Ireland?!

A smug emigrant? That means you think I''m smug about Ireland. What in my post implied that? A dutch guy said he doesn't understand Irish complaining about dutch food coz in his opinion d food in Ireland isn't good. I replied by explaining d Irish think good food , good weather &continental Europe go hand in hand. How is that me being smug about Ireland?!

I don't know any Irish people of that opinion, if anything the only assumption is that its cheaper.

I think it was more around you implying that all Irish people have the assumption that you mention based on a cheap package holiday to somewhere in the Mediterranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hi, I just wondered if I could get some opinions/experiences from Irish expats in The Netherlands. It's a place that always interested me(well amsterdam at least), I just like the idea of living in a so called free society where almost nothing is taboo. I'm actually learning some dutch at the moment using the pimsleur method, which is all audio, but still pretty good. I've been told the dutch are very direct, but i've lived in Germany so I've an idea how they'd be.
    A mate of mine who spent time in holland also said dutch people are 10 years ahead of the germans, not really sure what he meant. Perhaps with regards to society and outlook on life. A bold statement if there ever was one :D

Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

• Advertisement

I don't know any Irish people of that opinion, if anything the only assumption is that its cheaper.

I think it was more around you implying that all Irish people have the assumption that you mention based on a cheap package holiday to somewhere in the Mediterranean.

What are dutch women like generally? After living in germany I found the local women, unapprochable, sour faced and agressive to an extent. Although friends of mine had no prob with that so it might have just been me.

lufties wrote: »
    What are dutch women like generally? After living in germany I found the local women, unapprochable, sour faced and agressive to an extent. Although friends of mine had no prob with that so it might have just been me.

Dutch women are weird! They're not much craic imo but then again the Dutch are a bit boring! After a week of moving over here, I hooked up with a Dutch girl and it was a terrible mistake, she told me she loved me and sent me a picture of a wedding dress after 2 weeks!

Dutch women are weird! They're not much craic imo but then again the Dutch are a bit boring! After a week of moving over here, I hooked up with a Dutch girl and it was a terrible mistake, she told me she loved me and sent me a picture of a wedding dress after 2 weeks!
    :eek:

There isn't as much of a "hooking up" culture here unless you actively look for like minded people I believe- they have plenty of clubs for that sort of thing in Amsterdam :P.

I wouldn't describe the Dutch as boring exactly, they tend to party for longer at a lower decibel. That's why middle aged people are always hilarious here, years of practice! The women are definitely different to Irish women- not as willing to put up with the s***e we're willing to put up with that's for sure. They know what they want and are more likely to be pushy about it. While I think it can be OTT most of the time I do appreciate the influence it's had, making me a lot less passive about things that affect me.

Of course I wouldn't say that all Dutch women are like this without exception, I have friends that are nothing like this aswell. This country is so diverse that you really can't generalise.

Dude, you hooked up with a bunny boiler, just because she was dutch doesn't mean we don't have any in Ireland :P

Dutch women in general ... they drink less.. sense of humor is different, I couldn't generalise more than that really.

You'd probably have the same experience with someone that didn't watch the same TV shows or grow up reading the same books.

People that grow up in the south don't really get people from the north and west/east, country side/city.

Same as Ireland really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

I lived there for a few years and loved it (back in the 90s). The hardest thing was to find accommodation, especially in Amsterdam. Never had any trouble finding work through the uitzendbureaus (temp agencies).

I have to go to Brussels on Saturday to visit my sister and I can only spend the day there so I want to get the train. The thing is that the train is outrageously expensive, €150 return from Amsterdam just for a day trip! Does anyone know any cheap way of getting there by train? I would get the bus but I'm unable to book a return journey for Saturday night

I have to go to Brussels on Saturday to visit my sister and I can only spend the day there so I want to get the train. The thing is that the train is outrageously expensive, €150 return from Amsterdam just for a day trip! Does anyone know any cheap way of getting there by train? I would get the bus but I'm unable to book a return journey for Saturday night

Try rent a car?

If you could stay the weekend it's cheaper to fly and would only take an hour each way. Also carsharing could be an option?

• Advertisement

Car rental for Saturday from 8am to 9pm on www.autoeurope.ie is coming in at €35.58 with Dollar Car Rental from Schiphol Airport.

That would be your cheapest/most convenient option.

Schiphol would be the handiest as most of the city locations are closed after 6 in the evening.

Advertisement