Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaupload shut down by Feds.

• 19-01-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

According to affiliated press. No link as its just a flash on their site so go look.

What will this mean for icefilms and xbmc etc

But more importantly what about my photos and home made videos I have stores there????

If wrong forum, sorry.
    McLEAN, Va. — Federal prosecutors in Virginia say they have shut down one of the world’s largest Internet file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

An indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed Thursday, one day after Web sites shut down in protest of two Congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Megaupload.com has claimed it is diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

The indictment says that at one point, Megaupload was the 13th most popular Web site in the world.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1

News Article Added

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

19th January 2011...

.. the day IceFilms died!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

It's a pity that's the first time i had heard of icefilms, It looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Basq wrote: »
    19th January 2011...

And then a year later on the exact same date this happens. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

It's down but what makes you think it's been shut down by the feds, i don't see anything on affiliated press website or am i missing something?

Apparently it's true, twitter is awash with megaupload tags and outrage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Blikes wrote: »
    It's down but what makes you think it's been shut down by the feds, i don't see anything on affiliated press website or am i missing something?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/technology/indictment-charges-megaupload-site-with-piracy.html?_r=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Could this be the doing of Universal after the very public Megasong Spat?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭osullic

Ah my megavideo account has cost me so much money.Outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

They could end up doing what newzbin did last year and just move servers outside the country, but apparently those arrested are looking at 20 years prison for this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just a reminder folks not to discuss any illegal activities in this thread. Please also don't include links to illegal content :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They were located in the US? I thought they were Hong Kong based. Pretty stupid if they were.

Although is this a publicity stunt for Sopa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

They were located in the US? I thought they were Hong Kong based. Pretty stupid if they were.

Although is this a publicity stunt for Sopa?

Dont think it's a publicity stunt
    http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload-with-widespread-online-copyright-infringement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Surprised they've had the clout to do this, I remember when mininova & torrentspy suffered the same fate but they were torrent hosting sites, not direct download.
    Can't see anyone renewing their subs to any of these sites while there's this uncertainty.
    I bet Rapidshare & Fileserve are bricking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I have around 10gb of photos etc from the last 5 years stored on their servers. I'm sure I probably have 90% of the stuff on different hard drives etc but I had it all in one place and zipped into 3 month sections.
    Boo.
    Boo hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Timing is too good. And FBI can and have been directly influenced before by political decisions. Either way, not a great type of site to host in America.

Rapidshare will be fine, they have fought plenty of cases in Germany to stave off anything like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ahhh bollocks.....

I had 9 months of premium left with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Fingers crossed the guys at IceFilms can figure something out, but I fear this has made them obsolete.

What a kick in the teeth that is.

As far as I'm aware, IceFilms was the least dodgy website on the internet for that thing it did that we can't discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ahhh bollocks.....

I had 9 months of premium left with them.

Yeah mine was a lifetime subscription. I guess 5 years is a lifetime. Although reports say they face 20 years in prison so thats. Loser to a lifetime.
    Some reports have alleged that alecia keys husband was the CEO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

19th January 2011...

Ahh for **** sake.

I just bought extended my membership for another 6 months.

****ing livid here, i'm broke, working in a **** job and now the only decent bit of entertainment for the evenings is gone.

You have to hate this crap hole sometimes ****ing ****, Iceflims was brillant.

America can **** off, *****.

Will Icefilms be able to move to rapidshare or other sharing site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I tried to warn people that they shouldn't be buying ATV2s specifically for Icefilms, but nobody wanted to listen.

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    And then a year later on the exact same date this happens. :p
    Alright... brain fart! :D
    Squall19 wrote: »
    Will Icefilms be able to move to rapidshare or other sharing site?
    To be fair, Megaupload was the daddy in terms of speed IMO.

And copyrighted files never seem to last on Rapidshare!
    I tried to warn people that they shouldn't be buying ATV2s specifically for Icefilms, but nobody wanted to listen.
    At least people have Netflix and /or XBMC's varied video support (with movies stored on an external HDD) to fall back on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

jarvis wrote: »
    Boo hop.

Boo hop indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭token56

This is extremely annoying, had a premium account myself and used for backing up all my college work, among other things.

Were the megaupload servers hosted in the US does anyone know? I thought it was a Hong Kong base company?

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty anyway. Although I'm sure they wont stay down for ever, even if it means moving servers somewhere new and having to change their web address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

At least people have Netflix and /or XBMC's varied video support (with movies stored on an external HDD) to fall back on!

Yep, that's why I said specifically. Unfortunately there were people buying them just for the likes of Icefilms. And then recommending it to other people.... like it was some magic device that would give them 'free' movies forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

19th January 2011...

The day I received my new Apple Tv 2! DOH!! :(

like it was some magic device that would give them 'free' movies forever.
    But such a "magic device" does exist.. right?

.. RIGHT? :pac:

Just jailbroke and installed IceFilms on two ATV2's over the weekend - waste of my bloody time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

440px-HydraOrganization_Head.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I installed ice films last week on my atv2 for the first time, and then on my pc... I have megaupload til March i think

But it goes to show you guys never buy more than 3 months for any of these grey area things (rapidshare, liveonlinefooty etc) you never know when this will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

They seized their servers, that means they're probably examining their content for copyright infringement, but that also means they are snooping through personal and commercial accounts that were simply using their servers legally for cloud storage. What happens if critical files are damaged lost or leaked?

To me it equates to raiding an entire estate of houses and snooping through innocent peoples homes because the have information a drug dealer resides in one of the houses.

I don't know what's going on exactly but this concerns me greatly. What happens if google's servers get raided next because people are using their google file storage to hold copyright works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

I installed ice films last week on my atv2 for the first time, and then on my pc... I have megaupload til March i think

But it goes to show you guys never buy more than 3 months for any of these grey area things (rapidshare, liveonlinefooty etc) you never know when this will happen

Maybe it's a blessing you didn't have icefilms too long, I have been using it a good 18 months now.

It's heartbreaking, over the top, but I don't know what to with myself now, im going to drive my girlfriend mad :)

Bye bye Icefilms, we had some great times :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

This sucks alright.

I'd be slightly worried if one was a regular uploader (making money off it) or have a premium account with them. last thing you want is the FBI going through its files and your name and credit card pop up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement