Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any fans of BBC4 here?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm waiting for the Secret History of Paint Drying or Lawnmowers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Great channel, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Love it especially the way they theme a week on one topic. Reminds me of when Channel 4 back in the day would do a China or Indian season. Hopefully BBC cutbacks leave the channel undisturbed.

My particular favourite theme was the french cuisine season when they showed the below. Hopefully it will get a repeat soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I like their documentaries.

They manage to make it sound like the most boring thing in history and then it turns out to be incredibly intriguing.

+1

Musicians Rachel & Becky Unthank fronted a doc examining the historical and cultural contribution Morris dancing has made to English village life. :eek:

Avoiding the initial urge to change channel, the show turned out to be great viewing, touching on social history, the industrial revolution and the richness and variety of English folk tradition.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wgrtr

Anyone remember Death on the Staircase?

BBC Four showed the entire 8 episode courtroom documentary over 2 nights. It remains possibly the most compelling TV I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyX_UB79VY8&feature=player_embedded

The Staircase' is a fascinating, enthralling 8 episode documentary series that follows a criminal case from the beginning, when the emergency call was made, through to the court case and final verdict.

Screened on SBS TV earlier this year, The Staircase was met with great acclaim from those who became addicted to the unravelling tale of Michael Peterson and his wife who died as a result of falling down a flight of narrow stairs. The Police claim her injuries were too severe to be those off falling alone and arrested her husband for murder. Crime or accident? Be taken in and decide for yourself.

Directed by Academy Award Winning Director, Jean-Xavier de Lestrade. “The final episode contains enough horror and shock to send chills down your spine: you forget that this is not just a true story, it’s a documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I usually forget about BBC4 which is a shame. But I'm in the middle of The Killing and I've recorded all of Spiral so I'll get to that too. Looks to be some good documentaries too so I'll check them out.

Also on the same wavelength, Sky Arts can have some interesting content too. I'm currently enjoying Romanzo Criminale, an Italian drama set in the 70s about Roman gangsters.

And even though the good oul' USA has taken a bit of slagging in this thread, PBS UK launches tomorrow on Sky and it sounds like it will have some great programming such as Ken Burns historical documentaries. So there are a growing number of places to watch interesting dramas and documentaries.

About time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Musicians Rachel & Becky Unthank fronted a doc examining the historical and cultural contribution Morris dancing has made to English village life. :eek:

Avoiding the initial urge to change channel, the show turned out to be great viewing, touching on social history, the industrial revolution and the richness and variety of English folk tradition.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wgrtr

This was flipping brilliant. It should really have a wider audience in England. Beeb 1 should show it. I think because of the Unthanks background the were able to treat the people and traditions with the right amount of respect. A show like that could very easily be a Theroux-esque farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some greayscience & maths documentaries on it. Check out Dangerous Knowledge on you tube. Wonderful stuff altoggether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump!

This week has been great with four hours devoted to the glorious hey day of vinyl and tonight the start of Series 4 of Spiral the Paris Policer. Nearly everyone from the last series is back, the plot revolves around a bunch of urban anarchists, a man from Mali about to be turfed out of France, dodgy Russians and gulf state night club owners. So its a rum bunch to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Big fan of BBC4 public service broadcasting at its best Shock and awe just one of the excellent documentaries. I like how TG4 tries to bring the same type of offbeat style to its documentaries such the one on the Railways and the Ford Cortina

Advertisement