Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hope you gave the stray some shots! Though I suppose since you mentioned the pelvis you've been to the doc. From what I remember they always get used to breaks like that, they might walk a little funny but they can run just as fast and as far!

Took her to the vets after 3 weeks (as we didnt know if she was going to stay with us), we gave her her shots and got her done so happens she was already done, poor pet.

After 2 months she broke her pelvis (she could not walk on hind legs) and i took her to the vets and she got x rayed and given pain killers and antibiotics and cage rest, so happens we were off to France for 3 weeks so she was in a cattery getting plenty of rest, she was much better when we collected her.

I aslo went on to the animal forum on boards to ask for advice on both times as i had not owed a cat for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ScumLord wrote: »
    The major difference being dogs hunt in a pack where cats hunt alone. Dogs don't need to be that sensitive as they're playing the numbers game, well they would be if wild. Watching a pack of wolves hunt is completely different to watching any of the cats hunt. Nearly every part of a cat bar the nose is more sensitive than a dog in the domestic cat.
    Yes and no. Depends on the breed, but like I said cats still hunt or try to on a daily basis. Their senses are still honed as they're still "wild". Dogs have gotten "softer" in that respect. Compared to their wild cousins anyway. Wolves have a greater sense of smell than dogs and far higher than cats. They've also better hearing and can hear up to 80Khz, better than cats and dogs. They've double the bite strength of the latter.
    From what I've seen cats are much more precise killers where as wild wolves will just start ripping the prey apart while it's alive and fleeing, they don't necessarily kill the prey first. But then if a cat get's injured it dies as it can't hunt, if a dog get's injured it can depend on the rest of the pack.
    Dunno about that. Cats are well known for playing with prey animals as some on the thread have noted (with some freaky glee too. Another reason I find some "cat people" dubious). The size of prey animals a (domestic) cat goes for are of a much smaller size than themselves. Dogs will have a go at much bigger prey animals even on their own.

But that's not all that common in the wild is it? for a cat to stay with it's parent for life, outside of lions? I guess in the wild there's the added factor of the parent not wanting another adult around when it's having a litter or competing for mates.
    Apparently wild cats while solitary do have a very loose familial bond thing going on and that's increased in captivity. But yea dead right we wouldnt be competing for mates so the bond is stronger.
    I hadn't heard that one, very interesting. It would have been a huge advantage.
    Yea massive alright. For both. The sense of smell and ability to track and chase down large prey for us and for them our greater ability at doing the killing without getting killed ourselves. Cats are ambush predators for the most part, quickly tiring if the chase drags out. Dgs and humans are both ambush predators and stamina predators. Plus we can see greater distances and those eyes are perched very high up(which people forget. There are only a handful of animals with a higher sightline than a human and no predators). We also both live in and understand social packs, so see eye to eye on that score too. Match made in evolutionary heaven. Even more amazing it happened in the first place though as wolves are clearly heavy hitting predators and to them we're dangerous bastards too. Most hunter societies were wolves live have a great respect for them as hunters so maybe that overcame the natural fear. Even today there was a guy who followed a wild pack of wolves in Canada and after a while and patience and understanding on his part they came to accept him as a member of the pack. Even shared kills with him. Which is truly amazing.
    Humans hunted both the great auk and the dodo to extinction.
    Very true. Sadly. Along with a host of other animals, but our introduction of cats to novel environments has had and still does have a very serious impact on local small ground animals and birds.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

I hate cats because they have 9 lives, have to drown them nine friggin times, soooo frustrating,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

why do we all watch men playing sports, because men is best. yeaaahhh baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erogonamalu

nah i think op has got it wrong or the circles around you are going around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Wibbs wrote: »
    <snip>

Dunno about that. Cats are well known for playing with prey animals as some on the thread have noted (with some freaky glee too. Another reason I find some "cat people" dubious). The size of prey animals a (domestic) cat goes for are of a much smaller size than themselves. Dogs will have a go at much bigger prey animals even on their own.

<snip>

But doesn't that show that cats have a better idea of what they are capable of. A dog may attack something bigger than itself without considering the consequences of its actions.

Great post by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

I dislike cats because of their personality (is that humanizing them too much?). They do not appear have the same loyalty as a dog. I have heard stories of old ladies having cats for years and when another family in the neighborhood starts feeding them, the cat disappears. Call that intelligence if you will, dogs may be seen as blind followers of their masters. But that is my point, in any pet/owner situation the owner should be the dominant and i dont think thats the case with cats.

Having said that OP, I would never harm a cat just because I'm not fond of them.

I guess i dislike cats the same reason I dislike the colour red :) appeals to others but not to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Shenshen wrote: »
    Title says it all, really.

I've never met so many people with such a dislike and hatred of cats anywhere else, and I find it confusing.
    Unlike dogs, cats tend to be fairly easily avoided, they are shy and towards humans non-aggressive.
    In many countries, cats are the number one pets. Yet here, people will voice opinions like "the only good cat is a drowned cat".

So where does it come from?

Because most cats will run away from you...something to do with our prehsitoric hunting instinct or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

People have referred to the "loyalty" of a dog....but is that a reflection of them as people? Are they in need of loyalty and therefore are 'cat people's personality reflected in their appreciation of the cat? I am an emotionally independant individual (imo) and don't feel the expectation of loyalty and maybe thats why I don't appreciate those qualities in an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've seen cats go for some fairly biggish stuff, large birds and the like but that's rare, although in this country cats don't have large prey to hunt, they're no afraid to take on faxes either (competitively not as prey). I guess I'm more talking about the other wild cats who do hunt bigger prey. They don't take risks.

Very true. Sadly. Along with a host of other animals, but our introduction of cats to novel environments has had and still does have a very serious impact on local small ground animals and birds.
    Those animals evolved themselves into a corner though, it was only a matter of time before something came along and wiped them out.
    Nulty wrote: »
    But doesn't that show that cats have a better idea of what they are capable of. A dog may attack something bigger than itself without considering the consequences of its actions.

Great post by the way
    I don't know, dogs have huge confidence when it comes to intimidating other animals, I'm pretty sure they can smell fear and once they do they know they have the advantage. Other animals seem to have a deep underlining fear of anything wolf shaped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Their piss and ****e smells putrid.
    So does yours
    They shed everywhere and continually.
    untrue, my cat doesn't shed at all
    They wreck everything.
    no they don't
    They serve no purpose.
    as mentioned earlier, they are invaluable in keeping a homestead free of pests. (fair enough, they'll take the odd bird or two as well)
    They killed Tommy in trainspotting.
    never saw it, but the cat saves Rhino in Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Dont know if its been said over the 21 pages so far but,

If you died in your gaff & remained unfound, your dog would stay with you & die rather than leave you or eat you.

If you died in your gaff & remained unfound, your cat would fu.ck off in & out of the cat flap having a nibble at you out of hunger each time.

Also the primary host of the bacteria that causes Toxoplasmosis is cats,
    I urge you to read the article in full as the effects of this disease are serious, mainly affecting your mental state through infection from a parasite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I have 3 cats and I do prefer them to dogs. I've met a few people that dislike cats, which is fine, each to their own. I've met a few people that hate cats though and it's so tiresome, they're just so stupid. I don't let them get to me though, they're much like racists etc, they just hate something for the fun of it. Bit sad really, hating an innocent animal based on nothing, stupid is too good a word for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

curlzy wrote: »
    I have 3 cats and I do prefer them to dogs. I've met a few people that dislike cats, which is fine, each to their own. I've met a few people that hate cats though and it's so tiresome, they're just so stupid. I don't let them get to me though, they're much like racists etc, they just hate something for the fun of it. Bit sad really, hating an innocent animal based on nothing, stupid is too good a word for them.

What about people that hate cats for valid reasons like getting attacked by few of them. My neighbours growing up had loads of cats, once when I was over at their house one of them leaped from a window ledge and hooked onto me. fecker..another time a cat got into our garage, I went in to get my bike and the fecker scratched me all over my leg. Also one of the cats we had decided to scratch me when I left a bowl done for him to eat.

I don't hate cats for fun, I hate them because I don't trust them. I don't see the point of making an animal you don't trust as a pet.

I feel the same about horses from a few bad experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was that a typo or do bats eat birds as well? Somewhat insane if true, given how harmless they seem. I've definitely read what you heard about cats harming rare bird populations, I understand both animals (cats and dogs) are also a big challenge in preserving mammals like the red squirrel and the otter.
    Sorry, yeah, typo. I'd be willing to bet that more cats kill squirrels than dogs, what with dogs' general lack of climbing ability.
    Humans hunted both the great auk and the dodo to extinction.
    One of the major contributing factors to the destruction of the dodo was the introduction of cats to the habitat, along with monkeys and pigs. Cats do huge damage to ecosystems.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What about people that hate cats for valid reasons like getting attacked by few of them. My neighbours growing up had loads of cats, once when I was over at their house one of them leaped from a window ledge and hooked onto me. fecker..another time a cat got into our garage, I went in to get my bike and the fecker scratched me all over my leg. Also one of the cats we had decided to scratch me when I left a bowl done for him to eat.

I don't hate cats for fun, I hate them because I don't trust them. I don't see the point of making an animal you don't trust as a pet.

So a couple of cats frigtened you and now you hate them all? Real clever that. I got bitten by a dog when I was nine, I'm not thick enough to blame them all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So a couple of cats frigtened you and now you hate them all? Real clever that. I got bitten by a dog when I was nine, I'm not thick enough to blame them all though.

Calling someone thick because they have a fear of something is a bit childish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Kiera wrote: »

I've noticed similar a few times in this thread.

I suspect the OP is unhappy that the thread has gone the opposite to what they had been hoping for. :)

Kiera wrote: »

And hating an entire species because one of them frightened you is real mature yeah? :rolleyes: FFS.

gbee wrote: »
    I've noticed similar a few times in this thread.

I suspect the OP is unhappy that the thread has gone the opposite to what they had been hoping for. :)

Just to be clear, I'm not the OP.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

And hating an entire species because one of them frightened you is real mature yeah? :rolleyes: FFS.
    Irrational fears/hatreds have nothing to do with maturity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What really grinds my gears is that if a dog behaved like those cats it would be instantly put down, but for some reason it's ok for cats to act like homocidal maniacs.

Irrational fears/hatreds have nothing to do with maturity.

You're right, irrational fears/hatred don't have anything to do with maturity. Recognising your fear is irrational and addressing the issue so as not to have hatred for an entire species of innocent animals, that's maturity.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It seems to come from farmer folk and boggers who live in the sticks who like to kill everything that moves..

Cats are cool , i have 6 of them :)
    cats keep rats out of barns which means the winter animal feed stock wont be food for the rats. a stray wild cat might kill a hen. dogs are actually a much higher risk to hens! I had plenty of chickens killed by pet dogs during my childhood, never had one killed by a cat and we had more cats than dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I hate cats, always had a bad experience with the pets we had plus I'm allergic to the slimy bastards.

I'd prefer to have a pet like a dog that's delighted to see me come through the door rather than a cat that just stares at me thinking:
    "Unless you have food I am going to kill you but first I'm going to disappear for 3 days for no apparent reason!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Domesticated cats, yes. Their wild cousins, not so much.

It's fairly simple, domesticated cat get fed. They still hunt, it's the instinct, but not being hungry they have not interest in killing and eating the prey as fast as possible, they're more interested in the "entertainment".
    Dogs will actually do much the same, only due to their average size and strength they end up killing their prey faster, but they can then spend hours playing with the corpses. If their humans let them, that is.

Dont know if its been said over the 21 pages so far but,

If you died in your gaff & remained unfound, your dog would stay with you & die rather than leave you or eat you.

If you died in your gaff & remained unfound, your cat would fu.ck off in & out of the cat flap having a nibble at you out of hunger each time.

Said and debunked many times over.

I was attacked and badly bitten by a dog when I was 6 years old.

I am now scared of dogs, yes, but I don't hate them. Why would I hate all dogs for an experience with a few of them? :confused:

kylith wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah, typo. I'd be willing to bet that more cats kill squirrels than dogs, what with dogs' general lack of climbing ability.

One of the major contributing factors to the destruction of the dodo was the introduction of cats to the habitat, along with monkeys and pigs. Cats do huge damage to ecosystems.

Right... totally different to when humans introduced dogs to ecosystems that weren't used to hunters, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

only read pages one and the last page and i'm jumping in straight away with this: why the f'uck cant i dislike cats without being branded like there's something wrong with me!?

if i started a thread asking why irish people had a pathological hatred of frogs legs, cold weather or rain you'd think i was a nut job - but if i dont like cats i'm an underevolved moron!

god i love AH! :p

Advertisement