Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've won a mini ipad but I want a mini laptop

Options
  • 28-06-2015 9:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've won a mini ipad, I'm assuming the most basic kind, it's on its way to me.

But I want a mini laptop.

I'm in dublin. Any suggestions what to do.

Sell on done deal? Buy in shop - any recommendations for a mini laptop??? I want one for general browsing , blogging, boardsing, Facebook etc. Storing photos etc.

Does anyone know any shop that would exchange, possibly for a good reconditioned laptop.

Anyone got any suggestions/brainwave??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Sell it and get a chromebook

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How much approx are chrome books? Will I have to pay muxh between selling and buying I wonder??

How much is reasonable to take off for a brand new unopened ipad????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yes! Think this is what I am looking for https://www.google.ie/chrome/devices/samsung-chromebook/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

beauf wrote: »

That works surprisingly well, but I dont know how suitable the mini would be for it.

Amdublin Mini laptops = netbooks = dead market. There really arent many good options there. Chromebooks are nice but be aware of the limitations of them.
    Storing photos etc.
    Neither an iPad nor a chromebook is a good option for storing photos. You can store them purely in the cloud but that doesnt require any device really and leaves you only with an online copy. Also a chromebook isnt a traditional laptop, its not windows. Chrome apps only.

Id advise going into a Currys or PC world and checking out display models, see what you like using before making your mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to store photos in a few places.

The laptop can get stolen or broken. You can lose your online account or other things can happen to it.

Personally I prefer a light and thin full sized laptop. 13~14" to a tablet or a mini laptop.

Though if you were always travelling a lot and not using it that much then a 12" might be better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What is a mini ipad? Is it just an iphone that can't make calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Larger than the iPhone, think it's an 8" screen.

Unopened iPad Mini should go for a serious haul online

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What is a mini ipad? Is it just an iphone that can't make calls?

No its bigger than that. Probably 3/4 or 2/3 size of normal ipad.

Thanks all, alot of food for thought. I have a normal ipad and got a keyboard for it but tbh it just didn't work for me. I see alot of people using them in work that way but I use my current laptop on my lap in bed or couch and that didn't work too good with ipad and keyboard.

Prob misleading saying about photos - I wouldn't put a huge amount on laptop and generally they are going from laptop to fb :)

It's the size and weight that attracts me to a small laptop / netbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I recently bought a second hand 10" screen Netbook and now I use it for most of my browsing particularly when sat on the sofa watching TV. They may have gone out of fashion but I find one ideal for my purpose and can understand why the OP thinks one many be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Can't rate the Samsung Chromebook highly enough, great for browsing online, with office online I haven't had the need for any windows software that isn't freely available online, not a gamer so can't comment on that but battery life with Chromebook is amazing and v smooth

Advertisement