Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

ScareGilly wrote: »
    WW; Only Nick Diaz really, I'm probably forgetting people though.

Paul Daley? He seems to be getting better each fight also. Diaz/Daley has potential to be fight of the year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Paul Daley? He seems to be getting better each fight also. Diaz/Daley has potential to be fight of the year IMO.

I knew I was forgetting someone :P

On a side note: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/4/2029616/march-3rd-is-from-here-onward-mike-goldberg-day

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well, why not respond to it and point out where it fails? :confused:

It would be quicker to point out where it DOESN'T fail!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It would be quicker to point out where it DOESN'T fail!

Care to do that then? :rolleyes:

Don't put Werdum into that category, he lost to Arlovski,

Who is now an also ran in a company of also rans
    JDS, future Heavyweight champion
    Jaysus!,
    It was more down to contract negotiations than his UFC form if I remember correctly..
    This is hear say but doesn't really matter. What matters is, he was 2-2. An average record. He was brought in as someone who could compete for the title and he never did. he was rejected by UFC, plain and simple.
    top strikeforce fighters would be in the top 10 in the UFC without a doubt
    HW: Overeem, Fedor, Silva, Barnett, Werdum.
    LHW: Feijao, Hendo, Babalu, Mo Lawal, Gegard Mousasi.
    MW: Jacare, Hendo, Mayhem... Cung Le & Tim Kennedy perhaps, probably just outside though.
    Without a doubt? The underlined fighters I would doubt, the highlighted ones I disagree with. The others I would say would be Top 10. I've always said the HW divisions are about split, but the others........

Woah, hold on there.. He was on a 3 fight win streak when he went to Pride, beat Gomi, tested positive for weed and the result was turned to
    a NC. He was then released. To say he couldn't compete is ridiculous imo..
    You say 3 fight win streak. This is technically correct, but in the context of the conversation (competing in the UFC) only 2 of those fights were in the UFC. And he was actually 2-3 in his last 5 UFC fights, hardly earth shattering and not Championship form.

But i'll give Diaz his respect. He's by far the best guy in his weightclass at SF, possibly P4P in the whole organization. And i'd love to see him back in the UFC. Especially should GSP beat Shoelds and move up to MW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

LHW: Feijao, Hendo, Babalu, Mo Lawal, Gegard Mousasi.
    MW: Jacare, Hendo, Mayhem... Cung Le & Tim Kennedy perhaps, probably just outside though.

Without a doubt? The underlined fighters I would doubt, the highlighted ones I disagree with. The others I would say would be Top 10. I've always said the HW divisions are about split, but the others........

Name 10 fighters ahead Hendo in both Divisions.

I'd say its clsoe at 205 but not a chance at 185 does he not make the top 10

Mellor wrote: »
    Name 10 fighters ahead Hendo in both Divisions.

I'd say its clsoe at 205 but not a chance at 185 does he not make the top 10

I suppose that's fair enough. I'd have him inside the Top 10 at MW, but still not at LHW.

Shogun, Bones, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Bader, Forrest, Lil Nog, T.Silva (if the commission ever find out what the craic is with his piss)......... now, we're at No.10 and I wouldn't go as far as to say Phil Davis, so i'd give Hendo perhaps No.10. But again, this is why I underlined and didn't highlight his name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

I suppose that's fair enough. I'd have him inside the Top 10 at MW, but still not at LHW.

Shogun, Bones, Machida, Rampage, Rashad, Bader, Forrest, Lil Nog, T.Silva (if the commission ever find out what the craic is with his piss)......... now, we're at No.10 and I wouldn't go as far as to say Phil Davis, so i'd give Hendo perhaps No.10. But again, this is why I underlined and didn't highlight his name!

I think Hendo would beat the above, especially Lil Nog and Bader. He would maul both of them imo.

Denners wrote: »
    I think Hendo would beat the above, especially Lil Nog and Bader. He would maul both of them imo.

Rankings are all a matter of opinion though aren't they? There are no official rankings!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id agree with Bader and Silva. Dunno about Nog though and he already has a loss to him. Although theyve both slowed a bit since so its up in the air

• Advertisement

Rankings are all a matter of opinion though aren't they? There are no official rankings!

True, hence the imo, but I can't see how either would pose any threat to Hendo. I think he is better than Bader in every department and only advantage Nog has is his Bjj which could be easily countered by Hendo's wrestling. (I'm not a fan of Nog's boxing, don't think there is much of an advantage there)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

it was Nogs BJJ that beat him already. Both Nogs actually :/

Times have changed, both Nog's look a shadow of their former selves.

You could say Hendo has dwindled a bit but definitely not to the extent of the Nogs. I don't think anyone could realistically dispute that.

Times have changed, both Nog's look a shadow of their former selves.

You could say Hendo has dwindled a bit but definitely not to the extent of the Nogs. I don't think anyone could realistically dispute that.

Well we'll never know now. Because as long as Hendo is fighting for Strikeforce, it's unlikely he'll ever fight a Top 10 LHW again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I fully approve of this. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I fully approve of this. Link

yeah, that's a great move, wonder if they'll consider moving it forward another 4 hrs, if we asked nicely ;);)

With all the talk over the last page or so about who's where in the rankings, does anybody think it'd be a good idea for UFC to have a Top 10 Rankings system in place for each division??

Would make things a lot clearer for fighters, fans and the matchmakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

scudzilla wrote: »
    With all the talk over the last page or so about who's where in the rankings, does anybody think it'd be a good idea for UFC to have a Top 10 Rankings system in place for each division??

Imo it would have no real use, it would just give the folk on Sherdog an extra thing to create 5,000 threads about why x fighter is above y fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

No.

Well we'll never know now. Because as long as Hendo is fighting for Strikeforce, it's unlikely he'll ever fight a Top 10 LHW again!

If you are going to put T.Silva, Bader and Lil Nog in the top ten than it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that Mousasi is a top ten.

You come across as quite biased to the UFC when talking about fighter rankings. Would you say that Jacare and Mayhem Miller would be top ten fighters and what would your reasoning for/against be?

• Advertisement

If you are going to put T.Silva, Bader and Lil Nog in the top ten than it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that Mousasi is a top ten.

You come across as quite biased to the UFC when talking about fighter rankings. Would you say that Jacare and Mayhem Miller would be top ten fighters and what would your reasoning for/against be?

I'm not biased at all. I'm just trying to be realistic!

Well i've already said Jacare would probably be Top 10. But Mayhem, certainly not. and I REALLY like Mayhem too. I'm a big believer that if you want to be in that Top 10, you need to be fighting Top 10 guys and beating them (some). (actually, not HAVE TO, but it's the major indicatot to me. Although Jacare hasnt been beating Top 10 guys, he's been beating VERY tough guys and beating them well so i'd put him up there).

Mayhem hasnt been fighting Top 10 guys (except Jacare, and he failed to win on both occasions).

For this reason, Mayhem is not Top 10!

And the same question to you!

I'm not biased at all. I'm just trying to be realistic!

Well i've already said Jacare would probably be Top 10. But Mayhem, certainly not. and I REALLY like Mayhem too. I'm a big believer that if you want to be in that Top 10, you need to be fighting Top 10 guys and beating them (some). (actually, not HAVE TO, but it's the major indicatot to me. Although Jacare hasnt been beating Top 10 guys, he's been beating VERY tough guys and beating them well so i'd put him up there).

Mayhem hasnt been fighting Top 10 guys (except Jacare, and he failed to win on both occasions).

For this reason, Mayhem is not Top 10!

And the same question to you!

I'm not talking about MW when I say you seem biased, but some of your omissions from SF and some selections of UFC fighters in top ten in HW or LHW seem very questionable imo.

Your point about not fighting top ten competition is valid and does cause some uncertainty over rankings.

I think Jacare is definitely a top ten fighter, probably behind Okami, Silva, Belfort, Sonnen, Marquardt. I think he is in the same category as Bisping and Maia and could possibly beat both.

Miller's competiton hasn't been the best, but he is definitely a skilled fighter and although it is only opinion I would think he is in the top ten in MW. There isn't that many skilled fighters within the division so I would think that he would be a contender for the 8/9/10 spot.

Not in order I would probably have A.Silva, Belfort, Okami, Marquardt, Bisping, Maia, Sonnen, W.Silva, Jacare. Then you have fighters like Munoz, Dan Miller, Stann, Leben, Akiyama, Belcher. I think it would be fair to suggest that Mayhem has shown enough talent to beat alot of them and warrant a spot, but I can understand why you wouldn't rate him because of his level of competition. I would love to see him fight Bisping, would prove where he is in the division. Maybe if he fights Diaz we will get a better indication of where he stands as a MW.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. When I put him down on paper he was just around the 10 spot at LHW. But MW just hasn't got the fighters atm
    He has already fought and lost to Lil'Nog.
    And that was Hendo when he was 34. He is in his 40s now.

I think it creates more problems than it solves, why is he above him and so on. Would be very hard to keep it fair when its common for A to beat B, B to beat C and C to beat A.

I think having the speculation is a good thing for the fans. And leave it up to Sherdog to do rankings.
    I'm not talking about MW when I say you seem biased, but some of your omissions from SF and some selections of UFC fighters in top ten in HW or LHW seem very questionable imo.

In my opinion. Being in SF automatic gets fighters bonus points amoung SF fans. It started with MMa is more than UFC. Which is true. This then became you can't be an MMA fan if you only watch UFC, which is nonsense tbh.
    Now this attitude that SF fans = better fans has attached it's self to the fighters.

i'm not aiming this at you, but the fanboys on other forums in general.

http://www.osakafightgear.com/news/31/Top-Five-Most-Overrated-MMA-%7B47%7D-UFC-Fighters.html

Anyone else think this guy only started to watch MMA at around UFC 100? :rolleyes:

http://www.osakafightgear.com/news/31/Top-Five-Most-Overrated-MMA-%7B47%7D-UFC-Fighters.html

Anyone else think this guy only started to watch MMA at around UFC 100? :rolleyes:

Wait, I just clicked on that and saw Tito Ortiz............. how the f*ck can anyone say Tito Ortiz has been an over-rated MMA fighter??

I'm not even going to look at who else this clown has in his list!

But then he wouldn't have Brock at no.1 overated as it was brock that dragged him in.

I think he's just a moron that doesn't understand what over-rated means.

Tito - nobody currently rates him very high. Nobody doubts how good he was (except the author above)

Bisping - Most people hate the guy, and if anything under sell him out of hope he gets smashed. Certainly not over-rated (maybe by Joe Silva, but thats a different issue)

Big nog - Again confusing a fighter past his prime and one that is currently overrated. Nobody really considers Nog has a chance at the HW belt. He has already fought Cain (KOoTN :D) But he's a journeyman, and that's kewl

Fedor - He lost two in a row, must be over-rated, right? I wonder what the same guy would say if he dropped to 205 and ran riot for a bit

Lesnar - Who exactly over-rates this guy?

It should of been called "Fighters that people love to whine about and Big Nog"

NEWARK, N.J. – Nate Marquardt is a workhorse of the UFC's middleweight division, a veteran fighter and a perennial contender.

He's polite, humble, well-spoken, hard-working and nothing if not a consummate martial artist.

So when Marquardt (30-10-2 MMA, 9-4 UFC), who meets late replacement Dan Miller (14-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 128 event, recently unloaded on fellow fighter Michael Bisping and his UFC 127 antics, it carries a little more weight than the usual fighter-on-fighter bashing.

"I would love to fight that guy just to punch him in his mouth and shut him up," Marquardt said during an open workout session prior to Saturday's pay-per-view event at the Prudential Center in Newark N.J. "That'd be nice. He's an ass. He's a total punk (with) no respect. I don't like those people."

Bisping didn't exactly endear himself to fans (or fellow fighters) following a UFC 127 fight with Jorge Rivera. Granted, Rivera tweaked and poked the Brit with a series of less-than-flattering parodies and spoof videos ahead of the fight. He needled Bisping to no end. But even to a casual observer, Rivera – a 39-year-old veteran clearly trying to capitalize on perhaps his final big run – simply was trying to build interest in an otherwise ho-hum booking.

"Those are just words," Marquardt said. "They're not threats or crossing a line. Making fun of his accent? That's something I'd do to my buddy. It's not that big of a deal."

Bisping, though, didn't see it that way. He had fire in his eyes and a barrage of insults at UFC 127's pre-event press conference and weigh-ins. And after winning the fight (arguably with the help of an illegal knee that dazed Rivera), Bisping continued the grandstanding.

Then, Marquardt said, Bisping crossed a line when he spit at Rivera's cornermen.

"The crap talking – guys hyping up fights – that's one thing," Marquardt said. "Even guys who are like that naturally, I don't hold that against them. But the fact that he goes and spits on his opponent's corner, that's just so disrespectful. That's not what a martial artist does and not what a sportsman does."

Marquardt told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it's rare for him to genuinely dislike a fellow fighter. Bisping, though, has proven an exception.

"I'd say 90, 95 percent of the time I like my opponents," he said. "But the spitting thing, it's just a couple steps too far."

Middleweight champ Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort and many others all have expressed a desire to fight Bisping in the wake of the UFC 127 fiasco, so a fight with Marquardt probably isn't all that likely. Besides, right now, Marquardt is simply focused on Miller, a late replacement for Yoshihiro Akiyama, who was forced off the card following a devastating earthquake and tsunami in his native Japan earlier this month.

Despite the opponent switch, Marquardt said Miller represents a solid challenge, and a win would help work him closer to that elusive second title shot.

"I believe I'm still at the top," Marquardt said. "I just need to make a few minor adjustments, and I'll be the champion."

SOURCE : http://mmajunkie.com/news/22879/when-spit-happened-ufc-128s-marquardt-lost-all-respect-for-bisping.mma

Lookin like a Nate vs Bisping No 1 Contendor fight when Nate wins tomorrow night.

I'll be rootin for Nate all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I agree, Nate Vs Bisping in the summer really makes sense to be fair, aaaaaand to be quite honest I think Bisping can win

Tones69 wrote: »
    I agree, Nate Vs Bisping in the summer really makes sense to be fair, aaaaaand to be quite honest I think Bisping can win

Surely UFC wouldn't give the UK another Bisping headlined card :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rashad has left the Jackson camp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement