Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

• 13-10-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was thinking, so much happening in UFC, and to save the forum getting cluttered how about posting any bits of news/rumours in here? Then when event is made official a different thread could be started.

Also a place for general UFC talk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'll go first, MmaHitPit are reprting an event in Liverpool for January

MMA Hit Pit has learned that the UFC are on their way back to the UK in January 2011 to hold an event in Liverpool. Details are not available right now but we beleive the event will be held in the Echo Arena on either the 22nd or 29th of January.

This will be the UFC's first trip to Liverpool as they have ventured to Birmingham, Newcastle and London on previous trips to the UK.

When we get more details we will be sure to let you know.

Source : http://www.mmahitpit.com/news/ufcholdinganeventinliverpoolearly2011

To me this seems to make perfect sense for January 29th.

This week's UFC120 is a weak card and will be shown free on Spike, i'm guessing that when they air it over the pond it will be FULL of adverts for the following weekends big PPV

I'm thinking they will do something similar on Jan 29th in Liverpool, weakish card, free on Spike and when airs will be full of adverts/promo's for the following weekends Vegas Superbowl weekend Card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Someone brought this up before and most people were against it. I think it was mainly because most of the important news usually has something to do with the UFC, there would just be too much stuff in one thread.

Niall0 wrote: »
    Someone brought this up before and most people were against it. I it think mainly because most of the important news usually has something to do with the UFC, there would just be too much stuff in one thread.

See where you're coming from, but with so many rumours they can just be thrown in here, if it's a big news story then it can have it's own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Echo Arena is booked for an Usher gig the following night. Don't know how long would take to break down the UDC equipment and setup the stage/sound system/etc for a gig the following night. Turn around may be too tight :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think we have a better of getting that card than Liverpool

• Advertisement

Interview wit Marshal Zelaznik today

LONDON – According to all measurable statistics, Saturday's "UFC 120: Bisping vs. Akiyama" event likely will be an astounding success for the world's largest mixed-martial-arts promotion.

Returning to England for the first time in 11 months, UFC officials have declared The O2 sold out for UFC 120 and predict a record live gate.

And while the 11-bout lineup is chock full of English talent, UFC fans have begun to question the promotion's commitment to bringing the sport's top stars across the pond. Today, UFC U.K. president Marshall Zelaznik said there are real hurdles to bringing high-profile fights to Europe, but he doesn't think fans on the continent should give up just yet.

"Obviously, championship fights for the most part are elevated to the pay-per-view cards," Zelaznik told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The pay-per-view cards over here, because of the time change, make it a bit of a challenge in the U.S. to see the impact you're hoping to see from the championship fights.

"It's a bit of a business decision, but that's not to say we'll never have a pay-per-view here or we'll never have a championship fight here."

The most recent time a UFC title was contested on European soil was at UFC 80 in January 2008 when B.J. Penn defeated Joe Stevenson to claim a then-vacant lightweight title, which had been stripped from Sean Sherk.

But Zelaznik insists that there is no steadfast guideline ruling out the possibility of a championship fight on European soil.

"What's very organic about what we do as a company is we sort of chart out where we want to be," Zelaznik said. "If you look at charts from six months ago, they look completely different from where we are now. While we're always optimistic we're going to be able to bring the big championship fight for people here, it just hasn't worked out. It's not through any nefarious thing. There's no malice. It just doesn't come together that way."

Zelaznik said factors such as fighters' health and the UFC's schedule as a whole help determine how fight cards are made. For instance, for UFC 120, once the highly anticipated heavyweight title fight between champion Brock Lesnar and challener Cain Velasquez was booked for next week's UFC 121 event in California, the feel of this week's card and broadcast began to take a clear shape.

"A lot of it has to do with when the fighters are ready to fight, when our TV dates are, what's the best for this sport overall," Zelaznik said. "For instance, this fight will lead right into the Brock fight. As we were planning this calendar, we figured why not have a fight on Spike TV and have that fight really promote the next fight?

"Again, while this is really organic, it becomes pretty focused as we get closer. This [event] six or eight months ago may have been under consideration for a championship fight."

With the massive revenues generated from U.S.-based PPV events, European fans still may have a significant wait before they witness a five-round fight on their native soil. But with the success of UFC 120 and the accompanying UFC Fan Expo London 2010, Zelaznik believes the day may be coming sooner rather than later.

"You can look at TV ratings, but to have people actually reach into their pocket and buy a ticket, whether it's to the expo or to the fight itself, is really sort of confirmation that we are having an impact here, that the sport is growing here," Zelaznik said. "Interestingly, I didn't announce it, but we have about 25 percent of our tickets coming within London, which means 75 percent are coming from areas to the North, coming from Europe, so people are traveling from all over to spend a weekend with the UFC. I think it says a lot about the growth of the sport."

Source http://mmajunkie.com/news/21015/zelaznik-ufc-title-fights-not-necessarily-impossible-for-future-european-cards.mma

I think this is only him trying to appease the UK fans before the Expo and Dana's Q&A this weekend. It'll be a long long time before we get a title fight again

Tickets for the first-of-the-year "UFC 125: Resolution" event go on sale beginning this week.

The pay-per-view event takes place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar rematches Gray Maynard in the headliner.

Tickets, which range from $75 to $600, go on sale to the general public on Saturday, but a pre-sale period begins Thursday.

The public on-sale period begins at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) on Saturday. Tickets are available at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations.

However, members of the UFC's official fan club, the UFC Fight Club, can purchase tickets on Thursday at 1 p.m. ET.

Additionally, subscribers to the free UFC.com newsletter can purchase tickets beginning Friday at 1 p.m. ET.

"I'm very excited to be fighting New Year's Day against a fighter that has a win over me," Edgar stated. "I'm looking forward to putting on a great show and avenging my one loss. There are still a lot of people that are doubting me, and that's fine. I've learned a lot since our last fight, and I plan on successfully defending my title."

The latest UFC 125 card includes:

MAIN CARD

•Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for lightweight title)
    •Shane Carwin vs. Roy Nelson
    •Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida
    •Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann
    •Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim

PRELIMINARY CARD

•Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera
    •Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares*
    •Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann** - Not officially announced

Source : http://mmajunkie.com/news/21065/ufc-125-resolution-tickets-on-sale-saturday-pre-sale-begins-thursday.mma

Looking like a very strong card, i think Roy will take Carwin, he'll just take the punishment in the first round and Carwin will be gassed

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good card, not great timing though, NYD is always a bit of a mess.
    I'l be at David guetta NYE, so unless i keep going to this

Take it for what ya wil but this guy, Joe Ferraro is normally pretty accurate in his reports, he's a Canadian MMA journo/DJ who has quite a bit of inside knowledge

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is apparently returning to the city of Sydney, Australia, as a source has informed me that UFC 127 may take place at the Acer Arena, the same venue that hosted the organization’s inaugural event, UFC 110: Nogueira vs Velasquez.
    The proposed dates appear to be Saturday, February 19th or Saturday, February 25th, with the organization finalizing details over the next few days.
    The UFC’s first show down under, was held on February 20th, 2009, and drew a sellout crowd of 17,431 fans, generating a live gate of AU$2.5 million. Merchandise sales grossed $540, 000 breaking the previous record by $38,000, originally set by Iron Maiden.
    The UFC 110: Nogueira vs Velasquez main event saw Mexican-American heavyweight Cain Velasquez solidify the title shot he will cash in this weekend in Anaheim, vs champion Brock Lesnar. Velasquez used impeccable footwork, timing and striking to knockout the legendary Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at 2:20 of the first round.
    The news comes off the heels of a recent report by MMA Junkie, that the organization is also considering making a return to Abu Dhabi, as well as holding another Independence Day event on their home base of Las Vegas, Nevada.
    With the news being fluid, changes and/or confirmation from the UFC is still pending. Stay tuned for more information regarding UFC 127, as it becomes available.

Source : http://www.showdown.ca/?p=1613

HaHa, sweet.

• Advertisement

UFC President Dana White is set to make a major announcement on Thursday.

The news has spread quickly to every major MMA site, sparking a forest fire of speculation.

Many, including Yours Truly, are wondering if the organization is set to confirm the blockbuster show headed to the Rogers Centre in Toronto?

Or coming off Cain Velasquez’ victory over Brock Lesnar, will Zuffa announce their first event in Mexico?

Perhaps the State of New York is moving forward with regulating MMA, and that White will offer a date for the organization’s first date at the historic Madison Square Garden?

Or maybe Zuffa is announcing the first ever international Ultimate Fighter? Or the new coaches for Season 13?

Will it be the opening of new offices in another international market? Or an event to take place in a country that have yet to hold an event in?

Will it be the long anticipated announcement of a U.S. network television deal?

Or is it something completely different?

Source : http://www.showdown.ca/?p=1676

After seven years at welterweight, Marcus Davis will drop to the lightweight division for his next UFC appearance.

Davis today made the news official with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said he made the decision after the realization that his frame is better suited for 155 pounds.

And with retirement a serious consideration at this point in his career, Davis (17-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) plans to remain in the new weight class until he calls it quits on a once-unlikely MMA career.

"I'm going to finish out my career at 155 and try to entertain some people along the way before my old ass retires," he said. "I like the opportunities that present themselves."

"The Irish Hand Grenade" said opponents such as Sam Stout, Spencer Fisher and Dennis Siver are among the opportunities he's eyeing, though he has yet to accept his next booking.

While Davis has maintained a winning record and amassed some impressive highlights in his four-year tenure with the UFC, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" veteran admits he's been running at a disadvantage from the get-go against taller and heavier opponents.

At 5-foot-10, Davis said he's at a reach disadvantage every time he fights.

"I think the UFC has me at a 70 (inch reach), and I think they do that because they feel bad for me," he said. "My reach is 69 (inches). That's got to be the worst reach at 170. Every fight that I've had in the past year and a half, I think the closest (opponent) to my reach has been six inches longer than my reach."

That gap was more than obvious in his most recent appearance. Davis fought Nate Diaz at UFC 118 and took sustained damage as he struggled to get inside the fighter's long and lanky arms. Diaz eventually cinched a submission in the final minute of the 15-minute fight that ended the bout and put Davis to sleep.

After years of bulking up to as high as 205 pounds in order to compete with opponents who cut from the high 100s, he's slimmed to 175 pounds and thinks he'll pick up speed against lighter opponents. In fact, Davis, who initially struggled in MMA due to his limited ground skills, competed as light as 132 pounds during a pro-boxing career that ended 10 years ago with a 17-1-2 record.

"That's where I'm normally and naturally going to be, so that's where I'm going to fight right now," he said of the 155-pound lightweight division. "It does make more sense that I should be able to compete better at that weight for the fact that the weight difference isn't going to be so dramatic."

Davis currently has two fights remaining on his current UFC contract and said he'll decide afterward whether to continue his career.

"I've got to win two fights," the 37-year-old former pro boxer said. "If I make 155, and I win two fights, and I feel like the new Marcus Davis, then we sit down and sign a new contract. But I will say this: I will not be 40 years old and fighting. I just can't."

An outspoken and sometimes polarizing figure among hardcore fans, Davis almost expects to be criticized for his move. But he's also realistic about his chances in the new division.

"I'm not going to blow smoke up anybody's ass and say I'm going to be this phenomenal 155-pound fighter and I'm going to be a champion," he said. "I know that I'm a 37-year-old guy who's basically got the body of a 55-year-old guy, and I've got a face that likes to open when you look at it wrong. Those are things that I'm always going to battle as a fighter.

"But this drop and being able to do it might help me a little bit more than staying at 170 pounds. I look at it like this is where my body is telling me to go, and this is what's the healthiest decision for me. I'm going to do it, and I'm going to try to do it the best I can."

With the clock ticking on his time in the fight game, the most important thing is putting on good performances.

"Some people just outright can't stand me and hate me ... but when it comes down to it, I come to fight," he said. "I know that I'm out there to entertain. You know that my fights are going to have blood – it's going to be my blood – but there is going to be blood. I'm going to get hurt, and somebody else might get hurt.

"That's what I do. I fight to entertain, and I love to fight."

Source : http://mmajunkie.com/news/21164/ufc-vet-marcus-davis-dropping-to-lightweight-contemplating-retirement.mma

Be interesting to see how well he makes the cut, he's gonna be a damn big 155 fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Means we won't see George Soit till feb then :( Meaning he won't get his title shot in sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Keep the news coming (especially about UFC - it's all I watch :D)

Great idea for a thread. I've never have news (don't have the time) but I certainly will read it first here!

I got bored waiting for sydney to be confirmed.
    So I fired off an email to the venue, you never know, if may be booked provisionally

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Looks like no March for us next year anyway
    UFC 128 Headed To Abu Dhabi In March; Shogun vs. Evans Possible

The UFC has planned its next trip to the Middle East and it will be UFC 128 on March 19 in Abu Dhabi.

Multiple sources confirmed the booking to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.

UFC 128 will mark the promotion’s first return trip to Abu Dhabi since their debut show there on April 10, 2010.

The event means the promotion will have back-to-back major events overseas as UFC 127 is currently slated for Australia at the end of February.

While no fights have been confirmed for the card, sources indicated to MMAWeekly.com that the fight being considered for the main event is Mauricio “Shogun” Rua defending his light heavyweight title against Rashad Evans.

Rua has been sidelined following knee surgery, but his return status was recently rumored for March and UFC 128 date would fit perfectly into those plans.

More details about the UFC 128 fight card in Abu Dhabi is sure to come to light in the next few weeks, but as of now the plan is to head back to the Ferrari World Arena where UFC 112 was held in April.
    Link

Acer Arena have said that the UFC hasn't booked anything, but that may well just be the fact that they can't leak anything yet

At yesterdays fight Club Q&A session in Germany Dana confirmed that the next UK card will be held in Scotland.

Looks like being late Feb/Early March

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

Has a date been set for the UFC to come back to Dublin? Heard the 12th of March could be a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Think the 12th looks to be in Abu dhabi again. Or at least somewhere in the UAE according to MMA Junkie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

March 19th seems to be Abu Dhabi. Few places have reported this as shown by the post 4/5 up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

scudzilla wrote: »
    At yesterdays fight Club Q&A session in Germany Dana confirmed that the next UK card will be held in Scotland.

Looks like being late Feb/Early March

Dana said they are looking at scotland for a uk event but didnt specify its the next one... I spoke to alot of UFC staffers and Journos in Germany and they all said that the next uk/euro event is Liverpool in May (Confirmed by Joe Silva and both ESPN and Fighters Only guys). Deffo No Ireland planned yet for next year for sure but that may change (doubtful) and there is talk of 2 fight night style events in the UK for later in the year with Scotland and Birmingham mentioned but not confirmed.

Bisping has confirmed he's fighting in Sydney.......AS THE MAIN EVENT!!!!

Not good news if that plumb is the main event, 4min 10 secs in

Just heard from a very very reliable source that Bisping has accepted to fight Jorge Rivera in Sydney and that it's more or less certain to be the main event.

I really can't understand it, they're going to all the expense of having another event in Sydney and they're putting Bisping on as a headliner??

Ugh, sydney being more or less confirmed is great news,
    but bisping, again????
    the last card was great,

Hopefully they fill it up with better fighters than this,
    George sots for No.1 spot fight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"Hi i'm Michael Bisping and here are my predictions......

.. haven't heard of that guy so can't predict this one......

..... haven't heard of either of these guys so can't predict this one.....

next fight, my friend will win

Main event, my other friend will win............"

Can't believe i actually watched that video!

Also, i'm glad he's giving out signed autographs rather than unsigned autographs!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "Hi i'm Michael Bisping and here are my predictions......

.. haven't heard of that guy so can't predict this one......

..... haven't heard of either of these guys so can't predict this one.....

next fight, my friend will win

Main event, my other friend will win............"

Can't believe i actually watched that video!

Also, i'm glad he's giving out signed autographs rather than unsigned autographs!

What a tool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Gerald Harris has been cut by the UFC. Disgraceful decision by the UFC considering Tyson Griffin is still in there with 3 losses in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

unknown13 wrote: »
    Gerald Harris has been cut by the UFC. Disgraceful decision by the UFC considering Tyson Griffin is still in there with 3 losses in a row.

Not neccesarilly, Griffin has lost a SD, got caught with a KO, and another SD the other night. If he was dominated in those fights throughout it would be blatant favouritism but he got screwed in his fight against Lentz tbf, I presume you didn't see it because you would have noticed that. It is rare to see a fighter get cut when he is coming off a dodgy decision, even Al-Turk got a chance after the Cro Cop fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »

While i disagree with your sentiments about Tyson, who i feel is one of the more exciting fighters on their books, i think dropping Harris is a disgrace!! If this is what's becoming of the UFC with the influx of WEC guys then they're going in the wrong direction i'm afraid!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement