Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Tourist Visas

• 18-11-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,

Long story short, I moved to Ireland August 2013 to get my masters in Trinity. I was on a 3rd level visa and was able to extend it for 1 extra year while I looked for work. I have been volunteering and playing basketball for the duration of that year. When my visa expired, I hoped on a plane and traveled around Europe for a little over a month. When I flew back into Dublin, the immigration man at the airport was not thrilled that I hadn't returned to the US before coming to Ireland. Anyway after showing my return ticket a month later, my bank details, savings, credit card, and even going through my messages on my phone, he let me in and stamped me until the day of my flight back to the US.

While I was back for a month, I played a few games with the club I was playing with while getting my masters. We made it to the next round of the cup unexpectedly, and the next round is after I leave. One of the girl's moms has family and friends airline tickets she needs to use by the end of the year, so suggested that I fly back for the weekend to play the match (it is literally 1 week after I will have flown back to the US). I am concerned that they wouldn't let me in, or more importantly that it might impact getting back into the country in a few months.

My understanding is that the day I arrived back in Dublin, the 90 nonconsecutive days (out of 180 consecutive days of a tourist visa) began. So technically I should be able to get through immigration.

The confounding factor is that my boyfriend lives in Dublin, so after my tourist visa "resets" I was going to come back for ~90 days on another tourist visa.

I am having trouble finding anyone who can provide valid insight into this situation, so anything would help! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I think the immigration guys are going to start taking a dim view of what you are doing. You're playing the system and are for all intents and purposes trying to reside in Ireland at the very edge of what is legal. It doesn't help that your BF lives in Ireland which means that they will think you're going to try stay (which lets face it...you are). It doesn't seem that you have anything to be back for in the US, which is one of the main things that immigration look for (if you can be back and forth so much, and stretch out the 90 days)

You can try it, but you should be prepared for a grilling at immigration, and at worst either a "timed stamp" on your passport (ie that you have to leave the country by x date - happened to my sister in law) or at the very worst...refusal of entry.

If an irish person tried to do what you're doing in the US, they'd fall at the first hurdle.

Advertisement