Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Goodshape wrote: »
    Bah.. got the invite but haven't been able to get it working on my 64bit Linux Mint 12 install :(
    what seams to be the problem?

1 in 3 on the beta
    according to this list (http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/members)
    21,669 are on the official beta list now, that means that it looks lightly that before the end of the year there will be no more closed beta

read if you are board. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/12/steam-for-linux-beta-adds-yet-more-users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Steam Console running linux?

Now this would bring gaming on linux much faster IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Im in the beta. Was awesome fun playing Serious Sam 3.

Im not in the beta but just had another go at TF2 after a few weeks and it really has picked up. First time I played it it was very stuttery.

• Advertisement

^ Need to jump into TF2. Also need them to add the game files to the steam server for Limbo, Penumbra Series and Oil Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Goodshape wrote: »
    Bah.. got the invite but haven't been able to get it working on my 64bit Linux Mint 12 install :(
    Working for me on LM14 64bit.

I now have the Steam Linux beta and Steam through wine working, GIMME ALL THE STEAMS! :pac:
    I am getting Far Cry 3 for Xmas and apparently that plays ok with some tweaks on wine too, and I thought I'd have to reinstall Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Working for me on LM14 64bit.

Yeah, I was due an update anyway :). Put a nice, clean, LM14 64bit on this machine over the weekend and Steam seems to be working nicely! Haven't played much yet though. Must give TF2 a go this evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

shizz wrote: »
    Steam Console running linux?

Now this would bring gaming on linux much faster IMO.

Wow. That is very interesting news. Linux is the obvious choice for them. The original xbox was just a PC in disguise. Throw something xbmc-ish on there beside it and presto - Best console ever!

They did say that the hardware would be a a strictly controlled environment. I hope this doesn't mean it will prevent the games from being easily ported to Linux in general.

• Advertisement

They did say that the hardware would be a a strictly controlled environment. I hope this doesn't mean it will prevent the games from being easily ported to Linux in general.

Controlled environment just translates to "console". If it's running linux under the hood that could only be good news.

If anyone here plays the game Oil Rush its on the Linux game list on steam. However you cannot download it. As steam downloads nothing. Meaning the rep in which it will be located is currently empty.

I decided to send the devs an email. Heres what I got back. :)

Hi!

We are testing Oil Rush on Steam Linux at the moment and preparing it to be published!
    ETA of the release: January
    The update will also include some more pleasant stuff: like optimization for example(the game will run even faster!)

Thanks for your support!
    -Unigine Team

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    If anyone here plays the game Oil Rush its on the Linux game list on steam. However you cannot download it. As steam downloads nothing. Meaning the rep in which it will be located is currently empty.

I decided to send the devs an email. Heres what I got back. :)

Hi!

We are testing Oil Rush on Steam Linux at the moment and preparing it to be published!
    ETA of the release: January
    The update will also include some more pleasant stuff: like optimization for example(the game will run even faster!)

Thanks for your support!
    -Unigine Team
    Is this not already on Linux? I thought it was in the Ubuntu software centre?

Its on linux but not via steam yet. Two different distributions of content. I think they are testing it with the Steam Overlay. Amnesia is one game that does not work with the steam overlay.

Just came in to post that. Great news.

now i dont feal as special :(

Open beta might mean Left 4 dead 2.... :D

Open beta might mean Left 4 dead 2.... :D
    Thats what I was thinking, lines up for a christma sale as well

Too bad I am going to be away from my linux box for christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Too bad I am going to be away from my linux box for christmas!

Mobile app to not miss the sale ;)

matrim wrote: »
    Mobile app to not miss the sale ;)

I have a Macbook so I am okay. But wont be installing Ubuntu on it. Already need the extra space for my Windows partition for college and such. So Steam on OS X will save me from missing the sales.

I have a Macbook so I am okay. But wont be installing Ubuntu on it. Already need the extra space for my Windows partition for college and such. So Steam on OS X will save me from missing the sales.
    :( uncool bro

^ Deal with it. Im not gonna be dragged into a vs's on platforms. I use all I can. Ubuntu is the main OS I use but Im not going to drag my PC home for one week. Old macbook will do.

Btw folks the Penumbra Series is now available on Steam for Linux. If you have not played them and enjoy Horror games with puzzles (Silent hill) Then check it out. A linux version excited since 2007. If you bought it on linux outside of steam I would just give them an email and they could possibly allow you to activate via steam.

https://pay.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/14zamm/the_penumbra_series_is_now_available_for_download/

f you bought it on linux outside of steam I would just give them an email and they could possibly allow you to activate via steam.

Doubt they would do that -imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Oh joyous day!

I can see me playing more games now, as it is, I use Mint13 as my main day to day usage, and Win 7 only for gaming and now for learning Resolume.

As soon as I can access my Steam library from Linux, Resolume is the only software I need Windows for.

http://store.steampowered.com/about/?snr=1_4_4__11

^is the link on the steam homepage for install , however look whats it now promoting ( at the end ) download ubuntu 12.04 link
    They seams like they are really promoting it. Also , The "linux" tab is seeable to all , not just those in the beta. While mac only get a sub tab - Just saying.
    Would like to see how the title "steam play" goes - will linux games have a title like this if available on windows
    233422.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Once CS:S / CS:Go gets ported over, I will switch my main install to Debian (or maybe I'll try something new... suggestions? :), until then, I'll have to stick with Windows on my PC.

• Advertisement

Advertisement