Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unless you're prone to getting caught up in bidding wars, buy it now isn't the safe option. As it costs you more! :D

If something is buy it now for 15 euro..and you see the same item on auction ending in three days and it's only on 4 euro...wait out the three days and put 15 down as your max bid in the last 10 seconds. Chances are you'll win it. If not, you can at least then default and buy the BIN one.

Plus it's rather exciting too...or maybe that's just me being sad!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Aha! So thats how you do it. I'm just a n00b at ebay. I'll give it a go next time I'm buying something.

Master of the Universe

A lot of new ebay users don't understand the concept of proxy bidding. If you put 15 euro down on an item that is currently at 4euro, it doesn't mean it'll go up to 15euro. It'll go to the next incriment (Possibly 4.50) It just means ebay will automatically outbid anyone else for you who puts a bid down up to 15 euro.

So just put one massive bid down in the last few seconds. The most you would pay for the item.

It means people don't have time to try to outbid you in increments. The only way they could outbid you is if they were also an auction sniper who just happened to put down a proxy bid higher than your 15 euro.

But if you can get the item buy it now for 15 euro, you don't really lose out anyway.

Hope that explains it anyway. It's something I always have extreme difficulty explaining to people for some reason. Given up on trying to explain it to my girlfriend :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yep, I understand ya. I did try bidding like that before but I put my max bid in like 4 days before the auction ended.

Master of the Universe

That can either go one of two ways.

1. (And the one that happens most) people who bid early never win an item. It gives the other bidders a chance to outbid you. It also raises the price of the item more than it would have cost than if it was just left till the last minute.

2. Other bidders are threatened by your high max bid so early on as they have been unable to outbid you by increments. So they leave you alone. This also raises the price though.

So yeah, always stick till the last few seconds. Here's the best way of doing it-

Have two tabs open in firefox. Open the auction in both.

In the first tab, enter your maximum proxy bid and press enter bid.

It'll go to the next screen where it asks to confirm the bid. Leave it on that screen.

Go to the second tab and use it to watch the auction down to the last ten seconds.

When you hit ten seconds, go back to the first tab and confirm your bid.

Might sound straightforward, but you wouldn't believe how much it helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :)

Will definitely give it a go after christmas and when my computers back running again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

o1s1n wrote: »

1. (And the one that happens most) people who bid early never win an item. It gives the other bidders a chance to outbid you. It also raises the price of the item more than it would have cost than if it was just left till the last minute.

2. Other bidders are threatened by your high max bid so early on as they have been unable to outbid you by increments. So they leave you alone. This also raises the price though.

So yeah, always stick till the last few seconds. Here's the best way of doing it-

It'll go to the next screen where it asks to confirm the bid. Leave it on that screen.

Go to the second tab and use it to watch the auction down to the last ten seconds.

Congrats o1s1n, you will never win an auction on ebay again ;)

Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Congrats o1s1n, you will never win an auction on ebay again ;)

I really am my own worst enemy :(

Nah, if anything it'll help me kick this ebay habit...just do me a favour and leave all Sega items on ebay.ie alone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I really am my own worst enemy :(

Nah, if anything it'll help me kick this ebay habit...just do me a favour and leave all Sega items on ebay.ie alone! :D

Sega Dreamcast is my territory. I will PWN you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Wow,I taught I was the only one who bidded like that.I rarely bid twice.Usually I bid only once in the last 5 seconds (the auction is over before I could bid again).I love sniping at the last few seconds:D.
    Won these yesterday.....this one with 3 seconds left.Total €20.50 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170408435530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and this one with 4 seconds left http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270486700571&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT .Total €24,probably paid a little too much for this one but I really wanted it.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Won these yesterday.....this one with 3 seconds left.Total €20.50 http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170408435530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Another one in my ebay watch that. GTFO of my damn ebay watch list!!! :p

That guy had a pretty amazing selection of unboxed games. Lots of rpgs. Again, I was also meant to bid on those but forgot to set an alarm.

Ehrgeiz didn't even sell at 1.50!

Master of the Universe

corblimey wrote: »
    Sega Dreamcast is my territory. I will PWN you :D

There was one on ebay.ie a couple of days ago with three control pads, a VMU and a couple of games. The auction was on 8.50 till the last 10 sec. Thought I'd have it in the bag with a proxy bid of 20 euro. Someone else did the same thing though. went for 21 euro.

There was one on ebay.ie a couple of days ago with three control pads, a VMU and a couple of games. The auction was on 8.50 till the last 10 sec. Thought I'd have it in the bag with a proxy bid of 20 euro. Someone else did the same thing though. went for 21 euro.
    Lol,no way!!!! I bid on that in the last 10 seconds.http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110459841467&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT .I taught I won it too until I refreshed the page hehe.Ended up coming 3rd with a bid of €15.76

Master of the Universe

Yep! That's the one.

So you're e***r then? I'm _***_. My name must be too long to display. It should look like this a********n.

Should probably have bid higher on that one. Anything up to 25/30 was a a decent price. Bah! There'll be more.

Yep! That's the one.

So you're e***r then? I'm _***_. My name must be too long to display. It should look like this a********n.
    Yep,"e***r" that me,put my real id is f*******s,ebay changed their's policy a while back ,now they don't show the bidders real names.I've nothing in my watch list at the moment so you're safe to bid away ........for now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

Got Mickey Mania for the mega cd for £3

Got the original Turrican boxed for the nes and Chessmaster boxed for the game gear. Have decided to get some boxed game gear stuff as I only own cartridges on there own.

Also got Megaman X8 for the PS2 for £1.51

Master of the Universe

Just got one of the best deals ever.

(Cheers RonanRaven for not bidding! ;))

ps1.jpg

Auction includes -

1 x Playstation Console SCPH-1002 (includes controller and leads)
    1 x Playstation Specialized Joystick SLEH-0002
    1 x Playstation Controller SCPH-1080
    1 x Playstation Analogue Controller SCPH-1180
    3 x Playstation Memory Cards SCPH-1020
    2 x HMV Memory Cards

14 x Playstation Games........

Tekken 2
    Cool Boarders 3
    Air Combat
    PGA European Golf Tour
    PGA Tour 96
    Le Mans 24 Hours
    Toca Touring Car Championship
    Destruction Derby 2
    Colin McRae Rally 2.o
    Formula One
    Formula One 97, 98 ,99 & 2000

All for 22 euro!!!

And I'll be driving passed his house tomorrow so should be able to pick it up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Very nice! Congrats

You just need a copy of Colony Wars to play on it now :D

Master of the Universe

Very nice! Congrats

You just need a copy of Colony Wars to play on it now :D

Already have it ;) It's somewhere in my stack of ps1 games back in the parents house. Would love to bring them out but no room sadly.

I already have multiple ps1s, but couldn't resist this at the price. Plus all the cool suff that came with it. AND that it was boxed! Madness.

So thats PS1 no. 7 now yes? :P

Have any that need some TLC you'd be willing to sell? ^.^

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So thats PS1 no. 7 now yes? :P

Have any that need some TLC you'd be willing to sell? ^.^

Once my leg is healed I'll be getting up into the attic to see how many are actually up there/test them out. You can have one for free if you want.

Aw thanks! I'll throw you some spare games I have if you do :)

I'd just like one to respray black and change the power light to blue. Make it look a bit different

Master of the Universe

Yeah cool, a duplicate game you have would be nice in return :)

(Did we just make the first arcade and retro forum trade?!:eek:)

Black playstations look sweet alright. Ever see one of those Net Yaroze ones you could make games on? They rocked. If you're going to fit an LED sure you might as well go mad and region mod the thing while you're at it.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up now for fear of throwing this thread off topic!

Ssh! Don't let them (admins) know! Are they hard to region mod? (feel free to reply in gen. discussion)

Sweet deal o1s1n,worth it for the Joystick alone.I swear we must check out the same Ebay auctions.I've been quiet the last week or so,still getting over Video Games Live,but am watching one game,fingers crossed I'll get it.

Went to a car boot sale in Harolds Cross today. Nothing much there at all apart from the odd ps1 game and a sad looking xbox. But managed to get Final Fantasy anthology (- the FF IV disc) for a euro and a new copy of Tekken 3 for a euro aswell :) the seller also tried to offload Barbies water sports on me but I was having none of it. Also got a little megadrive. It's one of those 6-in-1 things but I thought it looked cute. It has Sonic 2, The Ooze, Ecco, Alex Kidd and 2 others which I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I got a Commodore 64 today, tape deck and Silkworm the game. For zero euro and zero cent. Now if only my supergun would arrive...

Master of the Universe

Got Ehrgeiz and Vagrant Story for the ps1. Both unboxed. But they were only 1.49 each. So I can't complain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Got Ehrgeiz and Vagrant Story for the ps1. Both unboxed. But they were only 1.49 each. So I can't complain :)

Dude I sold Vagrant Story boxed near mint for 5 euro the other day! It was on Adverts and all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Dude I sold Vagrant Story boxed near mint for 5 euro the other day! It was on Adverts and all.

Awh no! 5 was my maximum bid too. If I had of known there were people here selling it silly cheap....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement