Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 Types of Zombies

• 17-05-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Okay now I have a question for here if I may: On a search on whether zombies can run, I came across this result.

The 'Best Answer' states their are 3 types of Zombies: 1) Braindead Feeders ; 2) The Possessed and 3) The Enhanced Human Zombie.
    Now, who or what determines the types of zombies? What factors decide who becomes which?

I was reading the very helpful thread here for plans for the Zombie Apocalpyse btw and want to say Thanks. Thorough Read.

Just curious,
    Thanks in Advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm very much against the fast superhuman zombie. I know zombies are already pushing the believability barrier, but an illness that gives people impossible superhuman strength is just a step too far for me. They're a complete physical impossibility, nature has shown us zombies are out there in the animal kingdom.

I prefer basing the whole zombie scenario in the real world.
    I also don't think humans could bite through human flesh.
    I think the change would take a few days to happen, another physical limitation on the way diseases work.
    I think the infection would spread much quicker and wouldn't need niting to be transmitted, I've always thought it was a bit daft that a zombie bites someone and they turn into zombies but if a person gets covered in zombie blood they won't get infected.
    While I think zombies could display a certain amount of super strength in the beginning, it would come at a cost. Overexerting muscles would damage them so we end up with shambling zombies regardless.
    I also think zombies can't eat, they have no digestive system so the only power source they can run off is the body's own energy stores. Mainly fat and muscle. That means every zombie is effectively eating itself alive.
    Any zombie wearing pants would lose body mass and there pants would fall down. That's a fact often overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm very much against the fast superhuman zombie. I know zombies are already pushing the believability barrier, but an illness that gives people impossible superhuman strength is just a step too far for me. They're a complete physical impossibility, nature has shown us zombies are out there in the animal kingdom.

I prefer basing the whole zombie scenario in the real world.
    I also don't think humans could bite through human flesh.
    I think the change would take a few days to happen, another physical limitation on the way diseases work.
    I think the infection would spread much quicker and wouldn't need niting to be transmitted, I've always thought it was a bit daft that a zombie bites someone and they turn into zombies but if a person gets covered in zombie blood they won't get infected.
    While I think zombies could display a certain amount of super strength in the beginning, it would come at a cost. Overexerting muscles would damage them so we end up with shambling zombies regardless.
    I also think zombies can't eat, they have no digestive system so the only power source they can run off is the body's own energy stores. Mainly fat and muscle. That means every zombie is effectively eating itself alive.
    Any zombie wearing pants would lose body mass and there pants would fall down. That's a fact often overlooked.

Thank You for this informative reply :)

One striking point I note re: the bite -v- blood . I think of that in terms of a dog. If a dog drools on you or leaves any residue on you, once you don't have an open wound <- 9/10 times you're okay. Whereas if the dog bites or draws blood <- greater chance of infection eg rabies etc.

Then factor in Cannibalism: Humans eating Human Flesh <- proven to exist (quick search here).

Now, since Zombies would be eating themselves alive, how do keep energised? Like, what would make a 'Possessed Zombie' possessed and energised to continue?

Thanks,

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thank You for this informative reply :)

One striking point I note re: the bite -v- blood . I think of that in terms of a dog. If a dog drools on you or leaves any residue on you, once you don't have an open wound <- 9/10 times you're okay. Whereas if the dog bites or draws blood <- greater chance of infection eg rabies etc.
    Infections would need either a cut or could get access through the mouth or eyes/ears.
    Then factor in Cannibalism: Humans eating Human Flesh <- proven to exist (quick search here).
    Cannibalism still mean killing a person and cooking them. Humans can't really bite through living flesh, for the most part we need to cook our food so we can eat it.
    Now, since Zombies would be eating themselves alive, how do keep energised? Like, what would make a 'Possessed Zombie' possessed and energised to continue?
    By eating themselves alive I mean, burning up fat stores and the natural processes of converting muscle into energy. That's really the only source of energy open to a zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

ScumLord wrote: »

By eating themselves alive I mean, burning up fat stores and the natural processes of converting muscle into energy. That's really the only source of energy open to a zombie.

so they start off a bit faster (not like crazy super human fast, still less faster than a human) and then slow down more and more the longer they are zombies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think zombies, because they cant 'feed' properly (just bite & swallow - no digestion takes place) will mean that they are getting slower & slower (as their bodies are degeneration).

For human bites, I have seen human-on-human bites in the emergency room! Human teeth can def break skin, as long as the teeth are healthy. In the Z's this would be early after their infection, as the gums would degenerate as their bodies decay (same as above).

I do think there could be an infection that will cause a super fast zombie (like a 'Rage' type Zombie), but then again, these are not true Zombies, in the same way that a person with rabies is not a zombie, but can pass on the infection with a bite, etc

• Advertisement

Saralee4 wrote: »
    so they start off a bit faster (not like crazy super human fast, still less faster than a human) and then slow down more and more the longer they are zombies!
    Yes, you do hear of incidents of people showing superhuman strength. Your body has safety measures built in that don't allow you to use your muscles to their full potential (unless you're a trained athlete). In times of danger those safety measures are overridden so you can escape danger but there are consequences, it damages the muscles and can render the person immobile for a week or more while the body repairs. Zombie couldn't repair and would slow down. If anything a rage like disease would only make things worse because the infected would continually overexert themselves, rapidly damaging the body. This would over exert all the organs too and the person would become an immobile dying mess within days, maybe even hours.

The major limiting factor of course is energy. Even the best athletes in the world train months for a few minutes of exertion. If you can't get energy to the muscles and organs fast enough then you simply can't perform. No illness is going to make the body more efficient with energy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 UrFhasaidh

All of this is dependant on what 'tradition' of zombie we are looking at. Are we looking at the Afro-Caribbean folk belief, or the 1970/80s comic development, the early movies or the new generation? I like the idea of an accepted canon of zombie fiction, but even that canon is a recent development of old folk religion. So, my few pence is pick what you like and just enjoy it.

Advertisement