Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert as a Mature Student?

• 24-07-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi, I would like to sit my leaving cert as I left school and did not sit it,

anyone know where I can do it?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where in the country are you?
    Contact your local VEC Adult Education Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

I am living in Westmeath.

I see you are a Prisoner Fan?

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

john-joe wrote: »
    I am living in Westmeath.

I see you are a Prisoner Fan?

:P
    Oh yes, the lovely Noeline. Wot a stunna.

I think this is the person to contact in Westmeath:
    Anne-Maree O'Brien,
    Adult Education Centre,
    Pearse Street,
    Athlone.
    Tel: 090 64 70805
    Email: btei@westmeathvec.ie

There may also be classes available in other centres, but they should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

sorry for sort of thread hi-jacking but i dont want to start a whole new thread for it, i done my leaving cert a few years ago now and decided after lots of thought i want to repeat maths and maybe biology, can i do the course again in night classes etc and then pay to sit the lc exam in june like everyone else? i cant seem to find a concret answer.

im in dublin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

sorry for sort of thread hi-jacking but i dont want to start a whole new thread for it, i done my leaving cert a few years ago now and decided after lots of thought i want to repeat maths and maybe biology, can i do the course again in night classes etc and then pay to sit the lc exam in june like everyone else? i cant seem to find a concret answer.

im in dublin btw

Almost certain so.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

im in dublin btw

Yes you can, you can just apply to the leaving as an external candidate, while doing a night course in maths and biology.

Contact the SEC in October or so to register as an external candidate.

External entries.

Fees:
    Repeat entry (2 subjects) €199

Late fees apply from January on.
    If you have a medical card, the fee can be waived, but late fees cannot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

im in dublin btw
    yes you can. im currently repeating my english leaving cert course through kilroys college in dublin. and im doing it all from home. didnt realise itwould be so easy to understand and do. they send you all the info etc. you should look them up. im 28 btw. so ur never too old.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

thanks alot for the replies guys, its definatly something im going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Hi
    I want to apply for the LC honours Irish for June this year, 2012, any idea how I go about it? I live in the Drumcondra area, would they allow me to sit it in a school nearby? How much does it cost to apply and what is the deadline, is it already passed?

Thanks,
    Laura

• Advertisement

lmf wrote: »
    Hi
    I want to apply for the LC honours Irish for June this year, 2012, any idea how I go about it? I live in the Drumcondra area, would they allow me to sit it in a school nearby? How much does it cost to apply and what is the deadline, is it already passed?

Thanks,
    Laura

https://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ca

You can ask in local schools if you want, or sit it in SEC centres.
    All the information you need is on the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donna maria

hi i would like to do my leaving as i never finished school , my only problem is i have a full time job and a 1o year old son so life is buzy , i was just wondering does anyone know if u can sit ur leaven and study from home as have no time to go to night courses , thanks

hi i would like to do my leaving as i never finished school , my only problem is i have a full time job and a 1o year old son so life is buzy , i was just wondering does anyone know if u can sit ur leaven and study from home as have no time to go to night courses , thanks

Yes you can - though it's difficult to do the work on your own.

I STRONGLY suggest if you still live nearby, to go visit your old teachers in your old school. You have no idea how it pleases teachers to see someone who maybe made a bit of a mess of things first time round, come back and be willing to give it a go. They will help you as much as they can.

You will need some guidance as to how to approach things and if you are ten plus years out of school, you may need a couple of classes at some stage, just to get into the swing of it, but you will find people willing to help you.

I would also contact your local VEC adult education service. They have people whose job is to help people in exactly your situation.

Good luck.

Advertisement