Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling Magazine Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think Powerslam magazine is utter trash but the Devitt interview was EASILY worth the €5.09 I paid. The most revealing interview he has done. Typically really reserved and closed guy. Nice accompanying photos too. If you are gonig to the Wrestling.ie show at the end of month him signing it would make a nice keep sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Half way through the current FSM. Jim Cornette piece is great. He's talking about a lot of stuff I've never seen and don't have deep knowledge of but it was a brilliant little history lesson and if anything, fleshes out Cornette's caustic attitude towards wrestling/WWE today.

Bixenspan's piece in Punk was fine but kinda hoping this is the end until he returns to wrestling (if he does obv as you never say never in wrestling).

Magnus' climb-down in last month's "parasites" thing was kinda funny... I hope he gets the irony in talking about doing the caravan park shows then and working in front of empty crowds today. Maybe that was the point.

On the Dunkan Disorderly 'one to watch', I thought the point of that feature was to highlight up and coming wrestlers but the guy is 30. Not sure the statement about Ireland's wrestling scene booming is accurate.

I enjoyed Rob Naylor's piece, the Okada overview and the bit on Austin vs Taker from Raw.

Also got Powerslam. I think you robbed paying over a fiver Rovert, it's <€5 in Easons :p

I tend to prefer PS' DVD reviews to FSM probably cause the former can be so scathing/moany.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Brian Elliott

Glad you enjoyed several of the articles as much as I hoped you would. Bix' piece was designed to put a cap on the Punk saga, so I doubt you'll be seeing him unless he makes a significant comeback.

The One To Watch will primarily showcase young talent, but really, if someone is worth going to see in your town, we want to make sure we point them out, especially if they haven't had the kind of coverage that FSM can give them.

Snap this up:
    http://www.wrestlingdvdnews.com/match-list-best-of-wwe-main-event-dvd/68324/
    Champion vs. Champion
    CM Punk vs. Sheamus
    October 3, 2012

Intercontinental Championship Match
    Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz
    October 7, 2012

John Cena vs. Damien Sandow
    November 28, 2012

Ryback vs. Alberto Del Rio
    December 12, 2012

WWE Tag Team Championship Match
    Team Hell No vs. The Rhodes Scholars
    December 19, 2012

Battle Royal to Determine The Number 1 Contender for The United States Championship
    December 26, 2012

Randy Orton vs. Antonio Cesaro
    May 8, 2013

6-Man Tag Team Match
    The Shield vs. The Usos & Justin Gabriel
    June 19, 2013

Chris Jericho vs. Cody Rhodes
    June 26, 2013

Dolph Ziggler vs. Antonio Cesaro
    July 10, 2013

maineventmag1.jpg

Will buy this will the Irish Times and The Guardian on Saturday. :p

Haven't bought their magazine sunce about 2002.

Those matches probably won't be uploaded to the Network.

• Advertisement

Issue 108 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

859683730.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:
    - Rusev, as WWE tweaks the narrative of the Russian heel of the 1980s
    - The Usos, who have risen up the card to become one of WWE's best babyface acts
    - WWE's cuts process, and what history tells us about those who are let go
    - Gunner, who explains what his life was like in the Marine Corps, before his passion for pro wrestling led him to TNA
    - House of Hardcore, and how the group is far more than just an ECW tribute act
    - Danny Collins, who describes how breaking in to pro wrestling at 16 was just the start of a unique career path
    - "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who offers the benefit of his experience to wrestlers starting out in the business

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Nick “Magnus” Aldis' column on Gunner and his five favourite in-ring opponents, while Jim Cornette tells the bizarre story of how OJ Simpson changed the course of wrestling history. Former NXT Creative Assistant Rob Naylor also writes about his new passion, SHINE Wrestling, while Will Cooling argues that Froch vs. Groves II proves the importance of boxing on pay-per-view.

FSM is very grateful for you feedback, and is eager to print the articles that you would like to read. To make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

Inside the brand new issue of the magazine. Finlay Martin says that this is the final edition of the magazine:

BsgSRE-CMAAulmL.jpg

:(

Have had a love/hate or combative relationship with the magazine the last ten years. But it was a real outlet for UK/Irish fanaticism and for those who went further - wrestlers extending to WWE/TNA stars to managers, promoters, writers, podcasters, other publishers etc. At launch it's approach and design was really revolution. Helped spread the word about ECW, Puro and Lucha in particular. Also gave me something to read in class during secondary school. :P

The loss of any long standing publication and a small business sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What was the exact wording? I'm just wondering if it's a case of him staying on the e-publishing side of things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    What was the exact wording? I'm just wondering if it's a case of him staying on the e-publishing side of things.

Hope so.

Genuinely saddened to hear that's it for the magazine. I still remember buying my first edition as Little TSC, and it really revolutionized my outlook as a wrestling fan. Before it, I was a wide-eyed mark and it was amazing when I picked it up and it was talking about backstage stuff.

I've got so many copies of it up in my bedroom, never dumping them so they can stand as reminders of the years gone by in the wrestling business. It's really the only mag I ever buy any more so really am sad to hear it's gone :(

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

I will buy it tomorrow. It is only a small note. Apparently he plans to publish an ebook in the winter and the PowerSlam website will operate as a news source.

Not sure what the truth is but apparently he has plans and isn't financially in the hole. Worth noting it was the 20th Anniversary issue.

Cena being on the cover of the final issue sums up the last 10 years or so for me. Putting his least favourite on the cover as he knows ultimately it is what sells not Tanahashi or whatever New Japan or ROH show he is loving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's a bit strange, Martin went on record not too long ago stating that Powerslam was a decently profitable venture in response to Dixie Carter saying the magazine trade wasn't viable. It's got decent distribution as well, from arsehole of Kerry to the backstreets of Lund, so this seems out of the blue.

I've tuned out of it the last few years, for what it's worth. It was a one-stop, on-the-pulse purchase at one stage, but post-ECW, and as the 00s dragged on, the editorial quality, especially as it pertained to Cena, veered into Youtube comment section territory....well, spellcheck being the only difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dano2014

Bad news about power slam, I'd still have bought it a.good bit myself too. I'd still get that buzz from buying it as a kid for a second. but as ye were saying it lost alot of clout with the emergence of online access to the inside info and the wholescale cena bashing which really took away from good ppv articles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Gutted about Power Slam always there was something worthwhile in it. Gonna miss it 237 issues is a decent innings though!RIP Power Slam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Read Powerslam for years up until the last few years where I'd only pick up a couple of issues a year. Sad to see it go.

Greg Lambert put up the cover of the first magazine:

BshKoBZIUAEa_Ns.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bought it for years circa 2003 but fell out with it due to the smarky-yet-ignorant editorials that plagued it. That horrendous Chris Jericho burial article was the breaking point for me. It's a big shame but I'm happy Fin Martin had an amazing run of over 20 years in the wrestling magazine industry. In it's heyday it was a fantastic insightful, informative magazine. Best of luck to everyone in that publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Such a shame. Like many I have very fond memories of reading it in the 90s, it was essential! Before 2006 it was the best wrestling publication out there...then Fin seemed to become very disillusioned with the WWE and would take any opportunity he had to take shots at them, some justified, others completely outlandish and biased. It's what stopped me from buying it as I felt the magazine became unbalanced and not telling it as it is.

Best memory was a personal one though. I got to interview Fin for two college projects I did, one on steroid abuse in pro wrestling and the second on how the mainstream media covers pro wrestling and examining how balanced reports are. He was a gold mine for information and was more than up for helping out in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Power Slam was my source of wrestling news during the early to mid noughties. One of my favourite things to do to mark the weekend when I was in college was get a 20 box of B&H, the newest Power Slam and a beer or two and sit down on a Friday night and read through. It opened my eyes to promotions outside WWE. Stopped watching wrestling after I left college in 2006 and stopped being a reader.

Even though I started watching wrestling again about a year ago I never went back to the magazine. I'd see it in shops but never picked up a copy, I've kept up to date with wrestling news through this forum. Also, speaking as a graphic designer, the design of the magazine was horrendous, enough to put me off if I'm being honest. :o

Nonetheless, sad to hear it's gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll always have a fondness for PS as it got me into the backstage world of graps in 2006ish. I was kinda on board with the Cena stuff for a while but eventually it got to the point where it put me off the magazine. I tried FS around the same time but the MMA stuff was wasn't for me and I haven't really had a need to buy mags since, well, the internet and all.

But for now we must ponder: who will buy old ECW DVD's off sabucool3@hotmail.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

For the last couple of years barely an issue went by without them criticising either John Cena for his bad offence, Mick Foley for being a cheapskate or Chris Jericho for simply existing. Still, I liked getting the new issue and spending my lunchtime reading through it even if it was just out of habit. Disappointing to see it go away.

• Advertisement

Statement from Fin Martin via: http://www.psmag.co.uk/updates/37/Power-Slam-closes.htm
    Power Slam closes

AS MOST OF YOU already know, Issue 237 will be the last installment of Power Slam.

I have included some of the details as to why I closed the magazine in Issue 237.

It was a difficult decision to make, of course. Having written most of PS -- and done the typesetting/design, photo selection and other pre-repro work -- for 237 issues, and on 30 issues of Superstars Of Wrestling prior to that, it was inconceivable at times that I would ever do anything else. I was 22 when Issue 1 of SOW went on sale. I'm now 44.

But whether we like it or not -- and self-employed people often like it the least -- we all have to move with the times. And it was time to let go of Power Slam.

I would like to thank all readers for their messages of support which have landed in the PS mailbox (powerslam@globalnet.co.uk) and on Twitter. They are all greatly appreciated. I will be posting a selection of these on psmag.co.uk tomorrow (a day later than advertised, I know).

I would like to stress to all PS readers that the magazine did not go out of business. I made a conscious decision to close Power Slam before anything financially catastrophic could occur.

Consequently, the printers, repro house and bar code production company will be paid in full for services rendered on Power Slam 237, as will all the photographers and writers. What's more, over the next week I will be contacting all subscribers who purchased subscriptions through psmag.co.uk, and have outstanding issues on their subs, to arrange refunds. Though we stopped offering subscriptions in the first week of February, in anticipation of the closure of the magazine, there are still hundreds of refunds to issue. I will be personally contacting all the people to whom we owe money.

(Incidentally, if you have purchased a subscription to PS through another company or online subscription provider, you will need to contact them directly. We ceased and desisted from taking money for subs on February 4, 2014.)

Wrapping up all Power Slam-related business is the priority. I estimate this will take two weeks. By the end of the month, I will be producing regular content on psmag.co.uk, and be working on my first eBook -- Pro Wrestling Through The Power Slam Years: 1994-2014.

As sad as the closure of PS is, I'm looking to the future with optimism. I cannot wait to get stuck into this eBook.

Findlay Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Was one of the first wrestling magazines I bought and have being getting it religiously since my teenage years. End of an era. My gran was a big fan too :)
    828688061.jpg?1387590673

On the heels of Powerslam:
    WWE will be dropping the magazine division. If a magazine distribution company wants to take over the WWE Magazine then WWE will look at that option but as of now the magazine department is no more.

WWE lay off the entire staff supposedly it had been turning over a minor profit for ages with religious cost cutting.

Is the Tag Rope magazine worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

So gutted about no more Power Slam. It really is a gut kick as I've bought it and looked forward to it since 1999.

Fighting Spirit Magazine is delighted to offer a FREE digital exclusive issue to all wrestling fans! To read on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android and/or Kindle Fire, simply visit www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM , hit Buy Now on the FREE sample issue marked as costing £0, and go to the checkout.

In this special offering, FSM delves into its archive for pieces on:
    - Daniel Bryan, as FSM assesses how his role evolved in the eyes of WWE and its fans in the lead-up to WrestleMania
    - CM Punk, as FSM investigates his early career to show why his retirement isn’t the surprise that some consider it to be
    - The Ultimate Warrior, who comes clean about his life in wrestling, in what is the most in-depth print interview of his storied career
    - Paul Heyman, as the agent extraordinaire sits down with FSM to discuss his on-screen clients, and his own varied career
    - SummerSlam '98, as FSM ponders how the event would in hindsight prove to be integral to the entire Attitude Era
    - The Dynamite Kid, whose ex-wife opens up on their relationship, and the two sides of the man himself
    - Jushin “Thunder” Liger, who has done more for the sport than any junior-heavyweight in history
    - Mick McManus, as FSM profiles the self-styled “man they love to hate”.

As well as these features, this FREE edition includes news, PPV and TV reports from the FSM archive, as well as DVD and book reviews. This issue also includes ”Stone Cold” Steve Austin's exclusive recollection of the night that he won the WWF title from Shawn Michaels; Kurt Angle's confession about his depression and substance abuse; Nick “Magnus” Aldis' thoughts on Angle, as he compares him to World Of Sport legend Jim Breaks; while Jim Cornette reflects on the late, great Jackie Fargo.

FSM is very grateful for you feedback, and is eager to print the articles that you would like to read. To make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM.

Reebrock wrote: »
    So gutted about no more Power Slam. It really is a gut kick as I've bought it and looked forward to it since 1999.

'tis a shame alright. I have bought it on and off since about 1996 - In Your House 10 Mind Games was the WWF review of my first iirc. Their photos were taken from the crowd and in this issue they had a feature on "wrestling's craziest workers" or something similar.

I recall seeing a picture of Axl vs. Ian Rotten, possibly the Tapei Death Match - I thought they had bored a hole in each other's skull and literally fisted it.... ( I was about 12yrs of age....)

Issue 109 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

862717737.jpg

In this month's edition, FSM has feature-length articles on:
    - Brock Lesnar, as FSM argues the time is right for him to take the WWE World heavyweight title
    - WWE's heel crisis, and why some rulebreakers have adopted babyface characteristics
    - WWF photographer Tom Buchanan, who opens up about his unique experience with his peculiar brotherhood
    - Ricochet, as FSM looks back on the career of the man who arguably should be starring in WWE already
    - WrestleTalk TV , as Alex Shane explains his vision for the Challenge TV show
    - Veteran promoter Brian Dixon, who describes how breaking in to pro wrestling at 16 was just the start of a unique career path

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes John Lister's column on the closure of Power Slam magazine; Will Cooling's assessment of Chael Sonnen's second drugs test failure; Rob Naylor on his favourite pro wrestler of all-time, Manny Fernandez; Jim Cornette's sadness at the loss of the Independence Day pro wrestling tradition; and Nick “Magnus” Aldis posts his thoughts on a number of different subjects, including whom he thinks should be involved in the new series of British Bootcamp.

FSM is also available on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android and Kindle Fire. A free sample issue is available at www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM, although you can also download the issue via the Fighting Spirit Magazine app in the iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon app store. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

FSM is grateful for your continued support, and is eager to print the articles that you would like to read. To make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Was one of the first wrestling magazines I bought and have being getting it religiously since my teenage years. End of an era. My gran was a big fan too :)
    828688061.jpg?1387590673

That's fantastic!

• Advertisement

The final WWE magazine:
    qBlp7QM.jpg

Advertisement