Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

piplin wrote: »
    ok. My sincere apologies. Never in my lifetime has there been such a negative attitude emanating out of Cork. It's like a beautiful dog who no longer wags it's tail. Sad.
    Sow the seeds then and get it right, true gaels silently despair when we hear of a badly wounded Cork. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
    You're like some kind of beautiful but misguided drunken poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Horse 84 that was a great read , in the article you posted by JBM.Fair play to you for posting it.

I took 2 main pieces, from that piece that I questioned.Im a huge fan of JBM and i hate to crticise him but at the end of the day no one is bullet proof.If it was not JBM in charge,people wouldnt hold back.
    My first argument, is he says he wants hurlers and not big men who are useless hurlers.

Then what is Cussen doing on the panel and why say at the start of the year did he say he made a mistake by not including him on the panel last year.

Why based on that statement only make him a sub today.Why not start him???.Im glad hes not starting but JBM seems to be caught in two different mindsets with this guy.

The second argument is as i said before is JBM is not in to sports physcology.He does not even engage the thought of it.

You got to embrace change in the modern game.

I have no doubt JBM is a good man manager but their is a difference.Sports physology really goes deep and is often performed better by those outside the circle.

It can be hard for some players to reveal all espiceally to the boss and a man of JBMs stature could underwhelm some players as they would feel like second class citzens showing their weak talking to him.Others may thrive in such a scenario but every player is different.

To have a person with no connection to the cork squad as a person they could talk to would be very useful for the younger lads.

Most sports physcologists have actually never have been involved in sports where their own interests lie.Their completely from the outside world and bring a totally different set of skills.And that is what makes them effective ,their easy to talk to as they have no ties within the squad.

Brian Cody who is the greatest manager in hurling, has even used Meath legend Gerry Mccentee before to talk to his team.He is widely accepted as an inspirational talker.

Cody always thinks outside the box.

JBM is wrong when he says this squad is surrounded by all ireland medal winners.This team has only two all ireland medal winners starting of underage success.

Three if you throw in Nasher as he won at intermediate level.

Clare have about 12 players with all ireland medals starting today.

Cavan U21 success in the last few years has been credited to the work done by a sports physcologist.They are now making progress at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

To have a person with no connection to the cork squad as a person they could talk to would be very useful for the younger lads.

A large number of the younger lads would have had exposure to a sports psychologist already from playing with UCC. Ger Cunningham brought one in for his fresher teams.

Indie. wrote: »
    A large number of the younger lads would have had exposure to a sports psychologist already from playing with UCC. Ger Cunningham brought one in for his fresher teams.
    Thats true and it shows the conflict of interest in this current management.Old school against new school.A lot of other players woudnt have the same option bar Harnedy,Lehane, Egan .
    3 players out of 15.

Their should be one available within the current squad though.Its optional to players if they want to go down that road then.

A lot of other players woudnt have the same option bar Harnedy,Lehane, Egan .
    3 players out of 15.

Add six of the subs to that though

• Advertisement

Add six of the subs to that though

Out of a panel of 26.Thats just one third of the squad.Half measures are no good.
    What about the other 2/3 of the squad???

Out of a panel of 26.Thats just one third of the squad.Half measures are no good.
    What about the other 2/3 of the squad???

I can only account for what the UCC lads have been exposed to. Who's to say members of other college teams did not have the same benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 piplin

You're like some kind of beautiful but misguided drunken poet.

Flattery will get you a long way. ;)

1990 - 2013 hey hey. Good luck today.

I can only account for what the UCC lads have been exposed to. Who's to say members of other college teams did not have the same benefit.

Who's to say they did????
    Highely unlikely all the panel did.Take the Likes of Mannix,Walsh and O Brien.

Before they had been dropped it is highely unlikely they had access to one through their clubs.
    Kikworth and Kildorrey could hardly afford it.

Your point seems to be they had access

.Im on about the here and now also.A person to work with team as a group and individuals within the current system readily available to the team whenever needed like John Carey was in 2005 2006. One within their own inner circle.Every County in Munster hurling has used one the last few years and benifted.

Not just going back to UCC for example and having access only through that route.What happens when they leave UCC.???

DAMIAN LAWLOR – 23 JUNE 2013

FORMER Cork hurler Seán óg ó hAilpín gives his old team-mates every chance of beating Clare today, but says they would be even greater if his Na Piarsaigh clubmate John Gardiner was on the pitch. Along with Dónal óg Cusack, 30-year-old Gardiner was one of the high-profile names left out of Jimmy Barry-Murphy's squad this season, a decision ó hAilpín still cannot fathom. "Whatever about myself and Dónal óg, it's ridiculous with John," he says. "It just doesn't make hurling sense to me how you can leave out a fella like that.

Here's me again . . . I'm sure the management team will have another face for the dartboard, and think, 'Who is Seán óg to be telling us how to run our affairs?' "But realistically, come on? There's guys there being called in from places I've never even heard of. John has been playing club senior hurling for years. There must be other reasons." ó hAilpín says Cork simply cannot countenance losing to Clare again.

If they go down later this afternoon, it will be their fourth defeat to the Banner in 2013, having lost to Davy Fitzgerald's side in the Waterford Crystal and then twice in the league. "Forget about an All-Ireland – if you have any pride in yourself don't let them beat you four f**king times. I don't think Clare are way ahead of us but I'm hoping that we say, 'We're Cork. There's the red jersey. And this is championship'.

I would just say to the lads, 'Get out there and if you have any respect for yourself, Jesus Christ, losing to them three times . . .' We need this win." Ironically, this intriguing affair pits Cork against a county brimming with All-Ireland under 21 medals. When ó hAilpín first set out, Cork were the upcoming princes of hurling. How the wheel has turned. "Cork won an All-Ireland in 1990 and the next time they won was in 1999 so there was a nine-year gap.

But there's an eight-year gap coming this year," he cautions. "Can anyone name me the last underage victory of note that a Cork team has had? I couldn't tell you. Unfortunately, the attitude is down to tradition. Cork won All-Irelands without development squads and we'll do it again – that's the attitude that's thrown back at you. "I don't want to be opening up a can of worms because they must have a dartboard of me in Páirc Uí Chaoimh at this stage, but I think these development squads we set up were designed because of the strikes, rather than for good intentions. It was, 'Okay, we'll do it', just because it was brought up in the strike. If the strikes didn't happen, I don't think they they'd have even done that." ó hAilpín believes some of Cork's senior players suffered in recent years with the turnover in managers. "You'd love to feel that after putting in 15 years plus you could at least have a relationship with whoever is at the head of it. I see other players. Because they've worked under one manager for a long time, they've built a relationship and there is a loyalty there.

"But what I've found since the Donal O'Grady/John Allen years, there has been a high turnover of Cork managers. And every manager that comes in wants to stamp their own print on it. They don't want to be seen that, because this player is here X amount of years, that he gets allowances.

And we don't want to paint that picture for the young fellas. I reckon that myself and other guys have suffered because of that. Each manager coming in has used us. The last thing you want to do is after all the good years, the excitement, the enjoyment, you name it, tears and joy, is move away feeling bitter. But it's easy for guys who finish up like that to feel bitter." He may be away from the county scene now, but his status in the game means he will always be in demand.

At the moment he has linked up with other top names like Henry Shefflin, Damien Hayes, John Mullane and Eoin Kelly to work with championship sponsors Centra on a new community scheme. The hurling stars will host hurling skills sessions around the country in a programme which is aimed at bringing communities together to celebrate hurling in a family-friendly setting. Sessions will be followed by free barbecues, face painting, music and entertainment.

The festival has already visited Ballybofey and Mullingar, and next Saturday it's Athenry's turn, followed each Saturday by Castlebar, Navan, Clare, Cork (Páirc Uí Rinn), Limerick (Gaelic Grounds), Dublin (Ballyboden) and Killarney. When asked if could ever see himself managing Cork, the multi-decorated former half-back says he sees himself more as a coach than a manager. "I reckon I'd be very good, hands-on, working with players on the ground. Working out plays and doing stuff like that. I don't know whether I'd be the ideal man to steer 30 egos in a dressing room," he admitted.

"Look, you'd love to get involved with the county you played with. Cork would be my first love." But what are the chances of getting involved? "I'd say if I was in a line of 100 candidates I probably wouldn't even be considered," he smiles. "That would be my personal feeling. I'd imagine I'd be at the end of list. The reason why? The stand I was involved with (three strikes). Most of the people on the other side of fence are still there. I don't want to necessarily go working with Cork first."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

There's guys there being called in from places I've never even heard of

Unbelievable lack of respect. Shocking interview from sean og, and atrocious timing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What a fantastic win for Cork. 0-23 v 0-15.

Thought it was a bad decision to play against the wind but I didn't take into consideration a píss poor performance by Clare. They were no where near where they should have been.

So many positives from today's game. A final against Limerick to look forward to with hopefully a few players back. A final win be a great stepping stone for this team.
    One swallow etc...but I'll gladly take today for what it was, a super win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Rebels!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

A great win and I was pleased with the work rate of the Cork team. For example, things were not going Conor Lehanes way at the start but he seemed to keep battling and working away.

Its pleasing they finished the game out and didn't wilt so maybe they did work on finishing the game strong rather than grinding to a stop previously against Clare in the play off.

Mind you Clare had a few goal chances that may have changed the way the game went and Cork had only one real chance (as far as I remember) where they got a point instead of passing.

A good win though that hopefully will bring a lot of players on a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That was an absolute joy to watch.

Ok, mistakes here and there. Some individual battles lost but as a team performance it was fantastic stuff. And considering we were missing a few more so.

Rebels Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Connorzee wrote: »
    There's guys there being called in from places I've never even heard of

Unbelievable lack of respect. Shocking interview from sean og, and atrocious timing.

Absolutely awful interview & the centre forward from St. Ita's got man of the match. I hate that attitude regarding where people come from. It's about what they can do on the hurling field.

"Maybe me & Donal should be playing & my friend John should definitely be playing. The County Board don't like me. Something about managers (thought DOG & JA were only there for 2 seasons each). By the way the county board don't like me."

Excellent performance from Cork today. Excellent work rate in the first half & super point taking in the second. Very impressed with the half backline as well. Thought they fairly dominated.

Can't wait for the Munster Final. Heart wants Limerick but head says there is nothing between them & could go either way. Hopefully playing at the GG will tip the scales. Should be a cracker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 terrorman

Disgraceful comments by Seán óg ó hAilpín in today's Sunday Independent:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/hailpn-laments-gardiners-ridiculous-absence-29365803.html
    I don't really want to give him the attention he so obviously craves but at the same time I think it's important to come out and criticise it. Especially afte the way the team he belittled played so well today (including those "called in from places I've never even heard of")
    Shame on you Seán óg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He doesn't come out of it very well and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Sean og should just keep his opinions to himself, a great player for Cork no doubt but he and a few other former players set us back with some of their carry on whilst playing for us. It's a shame he's resorted to these tactics, he should be giving his support to the current crop of players.
    Didn't see the game but listening to it was very encouraging, when we got going in the second half it was great to hear the "rebels" roar from the crowd. JBM has a huge job on his hands to get us competitive again on the national stage, but maybe a bit of light at the end of the tunnel after today. A Munster title would be seen as a successful year for us IMO, but it'll take a few years before we can challenge for Liam again.
    Can't wait to read Loughnanes article in The Star tomorrow, he's been lambasting Cork all year and talking up Clare, I hope he's wiping the egg off his face at the minute!!!

CORCAIGH ABU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Great win didn't see this coming at all

Listening to Davey Fitz afterward was as cringy as Sean Og's outburst, less is more in both cases

• Advertisement

Im a big fan if Sean og ever since i saw him dominate KK as a minor in 95.
    I saw him make he debut in 96 under JBM in the pairc in the defeat to limerick at midfield.
    I met him 3 years ago in Limerick and he was just in a shop bt was very obliging in giving me an autograph and talking away.

However their is right and wrong.I backed him to a hilt like many in the strikes and still do.But even as my hero i wont condone what he said about the small clubs.He was way out of line and should apologise as talking to a lot of cork men today like me were very angry and hurt by what he said.

He was right in a lot about what he said with the County board and deveopment squads but it will be lost in translation at what he said about the small places of cork.It was a terrible and shocking thing to say.
    I posted the article as I know right from wrong.Many posters have attacked him in the past and without reason but today he was bang out of line.

I posted it as in not just one sided.Today he lost a lot of respect for what he said.The timing was way out of line as well.

He seemed to forget Newtown, in the late 90's is a small club as he refferred to as was virtually unknown then as they had not even won an intermediate title.He played with Ben o connor one of hes true friends.If Cork did not under JBM go outside the comforts of City domination we would never have seen him or Jerry or Pat Mulchay down the line.
    The same with Castelyons,Carrightwohill ,Killeagh etc.Years ago they were small clubs.They gave us a new breed of player.He also did not hurt the new generation of Cork clubs but back in 1990 a small parish outside of Bandon gave us Mark Foley.

The Cork footballers are riddled with all ireland medal winners from junior clubs.
    Alan O Connor of st Colums a classic example.A small parish so proud to produce an all ireland winner.
    St itas today gave us the outstanding seamus Harnedy.
    The days of City clubs ruling the roost in football or hurling is long gone and no matter whether your black or white,straight or gay,whatever club you come from doesnt matter a bit.All that matters is if your good enough to play for Cork.And many players have and will in the future play with cork but belong to a small club.
    Im from an aera surronded by small clubs.Sean og,you need to remember their the heart beat of the GAA and the small clubs and its people were the bread and butter who supported Cork in ita greateset hour of need in the 3 strikes.
    When bigger clubs woudnt allow the Strikers train ,Mourneabbey ,the place of Clyda rovers gratefully gave cork their ptich to train.

Sean og should apologise for that.He has reasons to be bitter but dont turn on those you may very well need in the future.

The wheel always turns a full circle.

Anyway on todays game it was the "sweetest victory in years.Up there with the 1999 victories,and the 2003'breakthrough win against clare.

It was truly emotional.To hear the banks being sung 25 minutes in really brought back memories of thurles in 2003 when our victory over clare in the first round brought the same reaction.
    Their is a new bond forming with fans and this team.Noboddy gave us any chance at all,none of the experts .

I like many cork people thought the same.With such a weak bench ,shown by and rightly so JBm only using one 2 subs in the forwards this was remarakable.

I thought we would at best run them close but be out run in the end.But Jesus all the questions that needed to be answered were truly answered in superb fashion.

I had said Thursday night he had picked the best team bar one player and it was proven that JBM got it right.
    Tom Kenny in fairness played hes part at half back but when Mcloghlin and Cronin come back ,he wont be good enough to hols down hes place.On today ,he wasnt superb but done hes job well.

I said here thursday Harndey was the Key.He was immense.As i said he is very raw but can only get better with games.

Hes goal chance he missed i dont blame him.Its that rawness in hes gamr.Hands over the head you could see he knew it was a mistake.But this guy has serious bottle and never can you fault hew effort.
    I had hoped he would limit Bulger.He destroyed him and got three superb points but chased and ran all day and always put himself about and showed for the ball.I heard he was man of the match.Take a bow Seamus Harnedy and take a bow St Itas.

The key also was JBM made the correct subs.I had said after the league game that when Naughton was brought on woth Cussen i knew the game was up.

Today I knew the game was won when none of those two guys came on.The management deserve immense calls for making the brave calls and knowing the way forward is with the young players and not guys who have failed so many times in the past.
    O neill,Connor Sullivan,Egan,Murphy were immense.Murphy proved again he is the best man marker around.But as i feared taking him from full back was nearly out of the frying pan and in to the fire.
    Mcdonnell was roasted and thank god we had the wind as he got little ball the second half .Nash was brillant in he's puckouts but also hes saves and 2 points were immense.Another All star on the way.The guy was always shouting at the backs.A real leader.

Joyce was poor in the first half but he was played at midfield and hes touch was unsually slow.Hes confidence was definetly affected as he is like a fish out of water away from Centre back.He movee back deeper in the second half and was much better.
    He needs to be centre back against Limerick.Their style will suit him.

Cian Macarthy i did not think would have the mobility for a full game.Hands up,I was wrong.He has benfited the most from Matthews training and today was everywhere.A great man to win a ball,he actually got stuck in today and it was hes best performance since 2011 in the gaelic grounds.

Pat horgan i have and rightly so criticsee you in the past.I asked that you grow a pair of balls.By god did you have balls today.At last he stood up.Credit due.
    He fought for every ball and really led the players around him.
    More of the same now.We know he has the talent but today he showed the attuide.A few cork men beside me felt he missed two bad frees.

I stood him for him:-)the first time ever.But today he could not be faulted as those frees were hard shots with such a swirling wind.

Luke O Farell was superb.All he needs is quick ball.

Jamie Coughlan by jesus ,your some man.A man in a boys shoes at just 21.
    I had always said he was tenacious and would win dirty ball and knew he would be a super sub.First touch of the ball,he won a ball he had no right to win.Made a cruical score for cork.
    Only just back from fitness he will get better.Some great points he got.

And finally,David Matthews,Credit due.I had said today was the true test.He talked the talk saturday but today he walked the walk.Cork were in super condition and blew clare away.I hold my hand up to you.

JBM ,nothing has been won yet but today victory was crucial for Cork hurling.More promising than 3 years ago against tipp as today we beat a team that really wanted to win today.This was without so many key players.

A tremendous win but watch now for the talk of allirelands.It shoudnt be mentioned.We are no where near that yet.But a lot of fair weather cork fans will jump on the band wagon and say were unbeatable.

We are far from that.What we have is a crucial win in Munster and against Limerick a realistic chance of a munster title ,the first since 2006.It will be a close game and who ever performs on the day will win.We now have momentum and with Cronin,Coughlan,Mcloghlin and Colm Spillane all due back have good reason to be positive.

Colm Splillane should be given the full back role .Its a brave call but like seamus Harnedy today,one that may well come off but at the worst is one for the future.Mcloughlin at half back,Cronin at midfield,the team suddenly has a spine to it.

At last we banished the curse of the gaelic grounds for our hurlers.

Well done to all today.

Just saw Harnedys interview on tv3.I had recorded the match.

Savage interview,spoke very well.Kept the hype down.He spoke so calmly for he's young age.

But he kept the best till last.He spoke proudly of hes Club St Itas and the late Paddy Sloan who played for Cork but was a St Itas man but moved to a bigger club.

He also spoke proudly of how hes mother won all ireland camoige medals and he had a waterford connection.

Harnedy did not forget who he was or what he representsHe's heroes may be gone but never forgotten.He thanked all he's neighbours family and friends from he's club for their support and spoke how he was proud to represent them.
    It was something you would assoicate with Paul O Connell and Ronan O Gara.

I was proud to hear that interview.
    The people of the small clubs are too I have no doubt.Not born with a silver spoon in their mouth,they work so hard for success in a challenging enviroment they deserve every hounour they get.

Loyalty and a true sense of where and what he repersents.
    Sean og,I hope you watched that.
    It takes a brave man to admit he was wrong.I hope he admits he was wrong.
    It won't condone what he said but at least its a step for forgiveness.

How did the ladies footballers get on against Kerry and the under 16 A and Bs camoige teams today anyone know please??

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

How did the ladies footballers get on against Kerry and the under 16 A and Bs camoige teams today anyone know please??

Kerry won 3-10 to 3-08

In Ladies football Cork 3-8, Kerry 3-10 - Kerry into Munster final, Cork now play Clare in semi final

I just read Cork hit the crossbar four times in second half !!!

Camogie U16 A Championship Cork 7-2 Dublin 0-11, (F/T)

They do say goals win games!

U16 A Championship Cork 7-2 Dublin 0-11, (F/T)

They do say goals win games!
    thanks lad.Jesus the magnificent seven.

Fair play to them.A great weekend for cork hurling over all.
    Wednesday night next up.Rte didnt show any of Corks win in the camoige.A disgrace.
    Cork have a good chance this year.But JJ doyle is back with wexford he will still do the U21 mens team.Wexford willl regroup under him.

In Ladies football Cork 3-8, Kerry 3-10 - Kerry into Munster final, Cork now play Clare in semi final

I just read Cork hit the crossbar four times in second half !!!
    jesus a suprise.But to miss 4 goals its like the song "when my momma told me they'd be days like this".
    Id fancy cork to regroup.Brid Corkery had said she feared kerry in kerry.They were due a breakthrough.
    Im sure Cork will come back.A loss may be no bad thing get the hunger back and use this pain the next day.
    I wouldnt like to be clare.Expect a back lash from Cork.

Interstingly Cusack was asked about Sean Og article.But typical Des Cahill. He has not got a clue.He should of asked about what he said about the small clubs.

Cusack was very good though and you could see he was caught between two evils.

He is right,Sean og and any player has the right to an opinion.But he said their behind JBM.
    Sean og earned that right but to criticise the small clubs was a lack of respect and to suggest they dont deserve players on the cork team was just defying logic and foolish.

Cloyne back in the day were a small club that produced christy ring.Im sure Cusack does not agree with Sean og as im Sure cusack being a devoted club man would have loved if Ring had stayed with Cloyne and not went to the Glen.
    Cusacks view would be cloyne are as good as anyone.

Sean og will come under more pressure as the week goes on.

On a different note it is a disgrace harnedy never made minor for Cork or U21.The U21 managers and minors made a huge mistake their.

It shows all thats wrong with the underage management in cork the last few years.

The mushroom theory is still rubbish after today.Their is still problems in Cork under age.But todays shows if we got the structures right and the right men in charge ,Cork would achieve anything as the talent is their.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

As regards Harnedy, players mature at different rates - just shows why minor teams should not automatically be the same at under 21 level etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement