Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seriously???

Watching as a neutral it was shocking. Over well before half time is not entertaining.

I'm not a neutral, it wasn't shocking though!
    Over before ht is not entertaining?? You obviously didn't see the Galway/kk game:D:D:D

Anyway, the draw is made and Wexford have the pleasure next time out in the hurling. It will surely be a double header with Clare/Limerick in Thurles.
    I reckon Cork will have enough firepower up front to beat Wexford but the defence will have to tighten up alot. Cadogan coming back in should help in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

the GAA are some idiots not to put one of those games as a double header - Clare v Dublin last night would prob be the game that would be the best to go as the double header

Two different controlling parties, the Munster Council are resposible for the football and the hurling was a croke park job, that and inevitable outcry if they moved the minor game would have been the two major stumbling blocks to that proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

Team to play Wexford

A Nash; S O'Neill, D Cahalane, B Murphy; T Kenny, C Joyce, E Cadogan; L McLoughlin, P Cronin; C Lehane, C McCarthy, N McCarthy; P O'Sullivan, L O'Farrell, P Horgan

JBM is some man for the changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He wants to keep the fresh and spread the experience gained from these games throughout the panel - no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

croker1 wrote: »
    Team to play Wexford

A Nash; S O'Neill, D Cahalane, B Murphy; T Kenny, C Joyce, E Cadogan; L McLoughlin, P Cronin; C Lehane, C McCarthy, N McCarthy; P O'Sullivan, L O'Farrell, P Horgan

JBM is some man for the changes.

Hmm...interesting.

Completely new spine to the defence as far as I can see, what are Cahalane and Joyce like?? Would you expect them to be ready for Championship hurling??

Trying to think who loses out.....McDonnell, Egan, Sweetnam, Naughton, Coughlan?? Any others??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hmm...interesting.

Completely new spine to the defence as far as I can see, what are Cahalane and Joyce like?? Would you expect them to be ready for Championship hurling??

Trying to think who loses out.....McDonnell, Egan, Sweetnam, Naughton, Coughlan?? Any others??

That Cahalane is hardly the under 21 footballer? Sorry for my ignorance :D

Ye've some panel tbf!

cgpg5 wrote: »

Ye've some panel tbf!

I'm from Limerick :p

But I think it is him alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I'm from Limerick :p

But I think it is him alright.

Ha didn't notice!

Aye seen him play minor football in 2010 against us, obviously only 19/20 big dual player for the future one would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hmm...interesting.

Completely new spine to the defence as far as I can see, what are Cahalane and Joyce like?? ?

Joyce is a much better CB than Cadogan IMO and will be a star CB for years.

cgpg5 wrote: »

Ye've some panel tbf!

He sure is, previously played in a minor final at full back I think, Niall's son.
    He plays hurling with the Barrs and is certainly going to be in or around the senior squad for many years to come, a great prospect.

• Advertisement

I think its great tbh. Makes the compitition for places all the better. There was probably a few players who were getting complacent and its good to see that JBM isn't afraid to mix it up.
    It goes as a contrast to previous years when players were almost certain of there places without playing particularly well. Nobody is safe these days.
    Hope to see Coughlan brought in at some stage, still think he has a lot to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Any boardsie Corkies heading to Thurles tomorrow? I'm depressed out of my brain at work looking out at the weather, hopefully it won't lash rain at the game.

Looking forward to seeing the new lads in action.

Unfortunately Joyce picked up a thumb injury in training and loses out. I would presume Cadogan will go to the centre and Egan maybe at half-back.

Up by a couple of points at ht. Great to get a couple of goals although the pen was the definition of soft. I reckon we are capable of pulling away in the second half and winning by 6 or 7 - hopefully.

FT - Cork 3-24 v 2-17 Wexford

Very happy with the win, in a high scoring game. We always seemed to be a little ahead of them and pulled away near the end. 10 points the better team? Hard to say, but we were certainly good to watch in the second half in particular - used the bench well also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Dont like Cahalane at full back.With better teams ahead we need to settle on a team.Good victory overall

Thought Cian McCarthy looked very good, excellent fielding.

Sweetnam showed a couple of nice touches when he came on too and the inside forward line looked dangerous.

Wexford seemed very headless in the 2nd half though, so many stupid decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd be slightly worried if I was a Cork fan after today. Wexford caught mountains of ball in the Cork half back line and if they did that against KK I'd be worried.

Hard to know though maybe Cork were holding back. Wexford kind of set themselves up to keep the score down. Cork took some lovely points and got the goals to make it comfortable. Cork never looked like losing today. Was a strange game. Not much intensity at all and very few hits if any. Not one hurley broken if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Cork definitely played within themselves. Wexford were pretty hopeless up front though, so Cork didn't need to be at their best. Really impressed with Luke O Farrell. Took his first goal really well. Cian McCarthy fielded some great ball and took some lovely scores. Paudie O Sullivan is getting better with every game. Always great to show for the ball.

I agree with a previous poster and wouldn't be too keen on Cahalane at full back, he did look shaky at times. He didn't seem to be comfortable on the ball. Wexford had two or three great goal chances in the first half, had they gone in maybe it might have been a much closer affair.

All in all it was more like a challenge game in terms of intensity levels. Cork certainly won't learn much from the outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I don't buy this Cork played within themselves. I just think Cork are a v average side at the moment with a lot of the younger players really struggling to make the step up from average/goodish underage player to good senior player. Defensively Wexford forwards won possession at their ease and hit half a dozen terrible wides from play/frees. Total lack of physicality throughout the team, Niall Mc aside. Cian Mc,Lorcan,Egan,Cahalane all struggled with the pace /physicality of the game. These are the future but aren't developing as they should particularily the first 3 who have been given even chance to establish themselves by now. I shudder to think what will happen if we draw KK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People need to take step back and remember where we were this time last year

We got within 1 point of very strong Tipp team in Munster and we have got to league final playing some lovely Hurling.

These young lads need time. They still have lot to learn and still very green. This process will take time, maybe up to 3 years. I still have faith that we are going in right direction. Maybe few bumps along the way, but that is expected when trying out new players and playing younger players.

Not good enough to beat KK and Tipp at moment, but we are far more near this year then we were 12 months ago.

Some just seem to think JBM can put in magicwand and everything should be fine. Its not that simple.

I still think we are going in the right direction. If we were up against bigger opposition I think the lads would have upped the intensity a lot! We can only play against the opposition given. I think JBM was using the last 2 games to try out a few things. Granted though I would like to see him settling on a team now to some degree. Very plus side is that we have a great bench to work with.

Btw, am i right in saying that if Waterford win today we would automatically meet Limerick in the QF? Due to the fact that both ourselves and limerick have already met tipp. Which would mean tipp have to meet kilkenny? Correct me here if im totally wrong

croker1 wrote: »
    I still think we are going in the right direction. If we were up against bigger opposition I think the lads would have upped the intensity a lot! We can only play against the opposition given. I think JBM was using the last 2 games to try out a few things. Granted though I would like to see him settling on a team now to some degree. Very plus side is that we have a great bench to work with.

Btw, am i right in saying that if Waterford win today we would automatically meet Limerick in the QF? Due to the fact that both ourselves and limerick have already met tipp. Which would mean tipp have to meet kilkenny? Correct me here if im totally wrong

Well it's irrelevant anyway because Tipp won but Cork and Limerick could never have met. The qualifier winners have to face one of the provincial losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well it's irrelevant anyway because Tipp won but Cork and Limerick could never have met. The qualifier winners have to face one of the provincial losers.

Of which kilkenny are one :eek:

If we get Waterford we have about 55-60% chance of winning

Get Kilkenny we have about .01% chance.

Oh ok i wasn't too sure about how the draw could go. So basically its kilkenny or waterford. Both would be extremely tough but im sure everybody would prefer waterford!!

Full back is the real question for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

If we get Waterford we have about 55-60% chance of winning

Get Kilkenny we have about .01% chance.

I'd obviously prefer waterford, I reckon we would give them a good game with the real possibility of a win. KK would be a different kettle of fish. We would be expected to be on the receiving end of a backlash. I reckon some of the cork players wouldn't mind another cut off kk after the shambles of the lge final, they'd have something to prove themselves. Either way, I'm looking forward to the qf.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Of which kilkenny are one :eek:

I'm sure you lot could give them a good game ;)

• Advertisement

I'm sure you lot could give them a good game ;)

If ye get Waterford would you fancy your chances?

Repeat of 07 even.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement