Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ceiteach

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Desolation. [IRON] have recently left our server (Might be a good thing) and we have seen a drastic drop in cover in WvW, leading to us being stomped in most the other servers borderlands. We can still hold our own in EB and our own BL during primetime but just cant compete anymore with the superior cover and zergs.

Actually played a good bit last night and had some great battles running around in small groups. Again once we hit the zerg we get wiped.

The smaller battles are always more fun.

Yeah we lost a couple of bigger guilds too. Viz are just absolutely everywhere and in their droves. Looks like you'll be joining us then!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Any new content being released?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Rift is going FTP. Do yourself a favor and play it. The classes are much better, it has end game content, mounts, open world pvp etc.

I'll probably fire it up again soon myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Rift is going FTP. Do yourself a favor and play it. The classes are much better, it has end game content, mounts, open world pvp etc.

I'll probably fire it up again soon myself.

Agreed, GW2 is just a snoozefest.
    Tried to get into it may times,last week being the latest but its useless after max level.

Yeah, well I was pretty vocal about my fears when this game was in beta, but i was told I was a party pooper etc.

I think GW 1 hit a home run with the first version. I liked the instanced environments. You had a crazy amount of possible builds and things to do.
    The dungeons were great fun. Running for money was brilliant as was soloing FoW and UW for ecto.

I started with ranger barrage partys in tombs, which changed to ritualist barrage partys etc. The game was constently evolving and the add ons were brilliant. They gave you really great bots to party with.

The pvp was also excellent, heroes had titles and emotes to show off.
    All of this is gone and been replaced with...well...nothing. I spent almost everyday in RA making new builds and having a blast.

If you compare GW1 with GW2 there can only be one winner. I don't really know how many years I spent on GW1, quite a few whereas I spent a few months on GW2 and never went back.

For a company that gave us the 55 hp monk/necro/mez, the 120hp derv? boon prot monks, n/rt healers? Earth tanks etc to now give us this crap is kind of insulting.

Well no matter rift is quite a good game and does have the class variety I require. I've tanked as a cleric, assassin and warrior in rift and its bloody fun. Although don't bother picking a bard, they are great for parties but boring as hell to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Having played both extensively,GW1 from Factions and GW2 since release I cannot understand how you can compare GW1 and GW2 and come to a conclusion that one is better than the other, they are very different games(GW1=build wars, GW2=Directional combat system in an open world). You are comparing them by the time spent by you on each (Which is fair enough but entirely subjective). I could argue that I will spend far more time playing Gw2 than I did in Gw1 for the first 8 months I owned both but it doesn't prove that one is better than the other.

Some people that came from Guild wars 1 have left Guild wars 2 because it is not the squeal that they wanted, which is fair enough. The only common ground between the two is the lore. I agree that the end game content could be expanded more quickly in guild wars 2 but you have to remember that it has only been out for 9 months, and recent leaks indicate that the expansion is already being worked on.

The actual content being released monthly for the game is fairly substantial but it's problem is that it doesn't keep people logging in like say the gear treadmill in WoW. While the monthly update content are good, I would like to see more WvW and Lvl 80 content , like new zones(Southson cove being one recently updated) and objectives in WvW.

I am almost certain that the expansion for Guild wars 2 will focus on expanding content for current level 80 characters by maybe introducing new skillbars, high level zones, PvP etc.. and new content like classes and probably a new race with new zones.

For the time being I would be happy with how the game turned out. It is not a game that will keep you playing constantly for 9 months straight but it is not like you have to. Traditional MMO's would need the subscription revenue to survive, whereas GW2 has a different P2P model. I would look at it like this, do you think you have got value for your euro in comparison to other games. For me I easily have.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

For those still interested in Guild wars 2, new content update (2 weeks after the last one) will be introducing better WvW rewards and PvE content.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

So, finally gotten some free time to get back into this, and loving it, especially the dragon bash content that's currently on going! Who doesn't love Dragon Pinatas?

Anyone else on the forums still playing?

Also, I'm enjoying the new tunes for the event, this song remind anyone of Galway Girl a little bit?

https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/bash-the-dragon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone at all still playing :D?

Not me, I got bored of it after a month or so.
    I started playing the Secret World when i got it in the steam sale, and it's brilliant. Great atmosphere, the starter area quests are head and ahoulders above any other mmorpg I've played.

• Advertisement

Anyone at all still playing :D?

Yeah, still get on every once in a while, cleared a few dungeons with some friends a few weeks back, had great craic.

I'm finding the new content every two weeks to be a little over whelming to be honest, isn't really time to get into it before it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ugh just went to start playing this again and i cant access my account :( looks like it was hacked. Any idea how long it takes support to respond to a ticket?

ugh just went to start playing this again and i cant access my account :( looks like it was hacked. Any idea how long it takes support to respond to a ticket?

I was onto during the week because I forgot my password and installed onto a new computer but it wouldn't let me change my password for some reason,support got back to me within 20minutes max.

I was onto during the week because I forgot my password and installed onto a new computer but it wouldn't let me change my password for some reason,support got back to me within 20minutes max.

did you just use the "ask a question"? because i did that at 6pm and i still havnt heard anything back from them :( bloody annoying, i went through my emails for gw2 (which i havnt been monitoring) and theres 3-4 different locations that tried to use my account a few months back :mad: hopefully il get it sorted

well this is a bit of a joke, still havnt heard anything :mad: is there a support email address i can use? or is it all this ask a question lark

well this is a bit of a joke, still havnt heard anything :mad: is there a support email address i can use? or is it all this ask a question lark

To be fair to them, it is the weekend, they probably only have a skeleton crew, if anyone, working over the weekends to deal with customer queries.

I've heard from other people that support are usually quite good for stuff like this, so maybe once Monday rolls around you'll get answered.

i know yeah its just annoying as a rl friend FINALLY bought this game and i wanted to play it with him only to have all this happen :( well i got an email telling me my account has been locked, so that is probably the first step in giving it back to me :)........hopefully

i know yeah its just annoying as a rl friend FINALLY bought this game and i wanted to play it with him only to have all this happen :( well i got an email telling me my account has been locked, so that is probably the first step in giving it back to me :)........hopefully

Yeah, that's understandable, terrible timing! On the plus side, they should be able to restore your account to the state it was in before it was hacked.
    https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9274/kw/hacked

turns out that was a scam email to try and get my login details :( jesus the scammers/hackers are quicker on the ball than the fecking support guys

turns out that was a scam email to try and get my login details :( jesus the scammers/hackers are quicker on the ball than the fecking support guys

Oh wow. Obvious question, you didn't follow any of the links in the scam e-mail did you? Because if your account wasn't hacked before, it might be now.

• Advertisement

delta36 wrote: »
    Oh wow. Obvious question, you didn't follow any of the links in the scam e-mail did you? Because if your account wasn't hacked before, it might be now.

yeah like a bloody idiot :o everything got reset after though, all sorted now, and every single one of my passwords changed :D

nice that the guy who was using my account has one of my characters at level 80 with about 60 golds worth of stuff as well :D should come in handy for my new character haha karma and all that

So, to celebrate the one year anniversary, and the fact that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMO in history, there's a free trial weekend on from the 23rd to the 25th of August. Good opportunity to show off the game to any of your friends who might be interested, but haven't bought it yet.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/register-today-for-the-guild-wars-2-free-trial-on-august-23-25/

Any person who has participated in any previous trials will also be able to use that account for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I bought this game when it was just out some months back, never really played though, (computer didn't handle it as well as I wanted) recently started back into it, my character only being level 12 atm S: .. //

..is there anyone still playing here? Does boards have it's own guild? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

if i was to pick this game up soon would i be at a huge disadvantage coming so late to the party or would it make a huge difference. just out of interest too does anyone know the cheapest place i can pick this up?

Well, I've just started playing this again after a break of a few months, and I'm amazed how much the game has changed since then. The addition of rewards for completing achievements is definitely a motivator, and for anyone who bought the game when it came out, the birthday rewards are pretty awesome as well, including a scroll that boosts one low level character to level 20 immediately.

@looking_around: I can't speak for other members of boards, but people are still definitely playing in-game, don't think the boards guild is active any more. My in-game name is Meredeve Mandalore, feel free to add me if you're on Gunnars Hold.

@DeSelby: It'd make no difference at all for most things, you're gonna see some people with fancy armor and weapons that will take you some grinding to get, but apart from that things'll be pretty much level. Your character is scaled down to the area it's in, so you're not going to find level 80's one-shotting stuff in the starter areas. I can't help you with the cheapest place to buy it, the price is €40 for the Heroic (standard) Edition on the official website, and it comes with some nice boosts.

Now, I'm off to catch a hot air balloon..

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    if i was to pick this game up soon would i be at a huge disadvantage coming so late to the party or would it make a huge difference. just out of interest too does anyone know the cheapest place i can pick this up?

Have a look at g2play,I think I saw it for 20 something on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

delta36 wrote: »
    ...I'm amazed how much the game has changed since then. ...

@looking_around: I can't speak for other members of boards, but people are still definitely playing in-game, don't think the boards guild is active any more. My in-game name is Meredeve Mandalore, feel free to add me if you're on Gunnars Hold.

Dang, I'm in Asuras Glade, or something like that.
    Just might've been fun to hang out with some boardsies :P

__But yeah the game has improved, apparently they keep tuned to the feedback on their forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

I am still playing, I am on Gunnars hold too. Is there any guild or anything still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I logged in a few days ago, had some big updates and got a load of loyalty chest thingies and a few mini pets. The guild i was in appears to have scattered out across other servers and ive literally no idea where to go for new content i stopped playing about a month or two after release.

Didnt see any new skills or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nagin

Hey guys

New enough to GW2 but loving it so far.

Im only lvl 25 warrior as I dont get as much time as Id like to play it (thank the gf for that :rolleyes:).

Its a great game though, Im hooked on getting the maps 100% and doing the jumping puzzles. Prob says something about my personality.

But its hard to beat taking on a boss with 20 other players. The sense of team work and comradery really comes through. Or to put it another way -its pretty cool pucking the head off a giant with a load of people to back you up

Im playing on Whiteside Ridge server (I wouldnt recommend it as it can be VERY quite) due to blindly picking it without reading up on it when I started the game.

I usually guest on Desolation, Jade Sea or Gandara (the last one having alot of English speaking players who are pretty social) as there alot busier and it can be annoying wanting to do a group event and there being no one to help out.

I use http://us.gw2stuff.com/ to find out when events are going to be up. It saves you a good bit of time and instead of waiting around you know when the event is gonna be up. You can say it in chat and others might come and help. It also lets you get on with your daily challenges and incorporate them into world events.

The Frozen Maw is a good example of this.

Im going to set up a guild and if anyone would like to join just send me a PM. Dont have a name yet or anything, ill sort it out after work.
    Its going to be nothing serious and will prob mainly PvE for a while.
    Fun is the aim of the game here (and rambling in the chats - once its somewhat on topic or at least funny :)).

I haven't read all the pages in this thread so apologies If i go over anything thats been said a hundred times.

Hope to meet some new guilders anyway

Advertisement