Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling UPC

• 22-02-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Sent: 22 February 2011 13:03
    To: 'resolutionteam@upc.ie'
    Bcc : rangersmother@rangersidle.com
    Subject: [UPC] Please cancel account 12345678

To whom it may concern,

Please cancel, with immediate effect, any and all services on, the following account

Account Number : 12345678
    Account Name : RangeR's Mother
    Account Address : RangeR's Mother's Address
    Nominated Contact : RangeR

Reasons :
    Inability to provide consistent service.
    Automated UPC customer support phone system is a mess.
    Inability to resolve issues in a timely matter.
    Contracted sales staff intentionally misleading customers [my mother]

I understand that UPC will only close the account on Tuesday, 22 March 2011 [1 month]. Please confirm and ensure that the technician calls out on that date. If a call out is before that date, we will require credit pro-rata. If a call out is after that date, the hardware will be in the driveway, ready to collect.

If there are any questions, you can contact me on the RangeRFonE

Reprehensible
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

I love the wording to that letter just wish I has the balls to write to them in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

E-mail? I e-mailed them 5 times before they actually cancelled my old place's connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    E-mail? I e-mailed them 5 times before they actually cancelled my old place's connection

I rang them. They said to notify in writing either by letter or email. I emailed immediately and got an auto reply. That's all I need. If they don't cancel, It's off to the SCC. No messing around/

I've had enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

RangeR wrote: »
    I rang them. They said to notify in writing either by letter or email. I emailed immediately and got an auto reply. That's all I need. If they don't cancel, It's off to the SCC. No messing around/

I've had enough of them.

When I attempted to cancel mine they said I had to send a letter - email or phone would not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I've had enough of them.

Cancel your Direct Debit...... Most important thing to do from your end.

Cancel your Direct Debit...... Most important thing to do from your end.

Actually did that a week ago and told the bank there would be trouble if money went to UPC after that date. Any further bills, if legit, will be paid manually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Unless you've been set up by your mother with UPC to be authorized to deal with them they will most likely do nothing as you are not the account holder.

Nody wrote: »
    Unless you've been set up by your mother with UPC to be authorized to deal with them they will most likely do nothing as you are not the account holder.

I got my mother to set me up as an authorised contact three weeks ago. I gave them that amount of time to resolve the issues. They couldn't. I cancelled the account. Mother went with Sky last week. For all my dislike of Sky, their product "just works".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

I got my mother to set me up as an authorised contact three weeks ago. I gave them that amount of time to resolve the issues. They couldn't. I cancelled the account. Mother went with Sky last week. For all my dislike of Sky, their product "just works".

Make sure you send them a registered letter too as the emails dont lot any legal standing.

• Advertisement

Make sure you send them a registered letter too as the emails dont lot any legal standing.

Normally, I would agree. However, I'm following [to the letter] all instructions from UPC [and the contract that was signed] as their recorded call will verify.

It's A contract is a contract, whether it's a verbal or written one. There is no question on legal standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

Normally, I would agree. However, I'm following [to the letter] all instructions from UPC [and the contract that was signed] as their recorded call will verify.

It's A contract is a contract, whether it's a verbal or written one. There is no question on legal standing.

Yes but they can say they never received your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

What exactly was the problem? I know of a good few people having problems with the UPC broadband and are looking to get out. Mine has been fine so far thankfully.

Yes but they can say they never received your email.

I received an auto responder email from UPC.
    Sent: 22 February 2011 13:03
    To: RangeR
    Subject: Automated Response - Resolution Team Email Inbox

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email, your request will be processed by our Resolution Team. We aim to deal with your request within 5 working days.

If you have any further queries please contact Customer Service 1908.

Thank you,

UPC

I will ring them in 4 working days, If I don't hear anything else.

What exactly was the problem? I know of a good few people having problems with the UPC broadband and are looking to get out. Mine has been fine so far thankfully.

The problems revolved around the TV service, hardware and quality of said service. Mother doesn't have broadband.

My personal UPC broadband has been exceptionally rocky for the past 3 weeks but that's a different, non related, fight story.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

Just to let you guys know, I cancelled with them by email last week. Told them to cut it exactly 30 days from that date. I sent them a letter as well, just in the normal post not registered. Got an email back the next day saying they received the email and confirmed the cancellation will be done.

I then received another email this morning confirming they've received the letter and confirmed the same date that i requested the cancellation to be made. they also said that they already advised by email the contract will be cancelled and all will be done on that date

Although the actual tv signal and service is bloody atrocious, their customer support can be very helpful when treated with respect which I believe i did. I'll hopefully never have to go back to them again though, ever!!! everything else is terrible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

alfaz wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, I cancelled with them by email last week. Told them to cut it exactly 30 days from that date. I sent them a letter as well, just in the normal post not registered. Got an email back the next day saying they received the email and confirmed the cancellation will be done.

I then received another email this morning confirming they've received the letter and confirmed the same date that i requested the cancellation to be made. they also said that they already advised by email the contract will be cancelled and all will be done on that date

Although the actual tv signal and service is bloody atrocious, their customer support can be very helpful when treated with respect which I believe i did. I'll hopefully never have to go back to them again though, ever!!! everything else is terrible!!

I don't actually have a contract but want to be nice and give them the 30day notice anyway. Just very wary of being overcharged as has happened a friend of mine.

Can I ask you what way did you word your email and did you give a reason for cancelling. Did you go so far as to thank them for their service in the past:D

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I don't actually have a contract but want to be nice and give them the 30day notice anyway. Just very wary of being overcharged as has happened a friend of mine.

Can I ask you what way did you word your email and did you give a reason for cancelling. Did you go so far as to thank them for their service in the past:D

here is the email i sent them, kept a hold of it just to be sure! I put CNX in the subject line along with my account number. theres no need to give them a reason or anything, its not really any of their business

Good afternoon
    I spoke to Charlie in your Resolutions Department and he advised I can cancel my contract by email.
    I wish to give my 30 day notice commencing today the 17/02/2011 which means my contract will be fully completed on the 17/03/2011. My contract term will finish on the 4/3/2011 and this was confirmed by Robert in your sales team. I should not be charged any fees for this cancellation request as my contract will be fully completed.
    Please contact me on 08********* or reply to this email if you require any details or further confirmation of this.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks alfaz for that much appreciated,

just one thing, why does your contract end on the 4/3/2011 and not on the 17/03/2011....is there an extra 2 weeks because of their billing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

I emailed them on 25th Jan, telling them that Id be moving on 20th march and would like my contract ended on that day.
    Got an email back saying thered be a charge of €170 because I was still in my 12 month contract. I responded that I opened my account in March 09 so was no longer tied in. Got an email back confirming I was right, and saying that one of the cancellation team would be in touch.
    Got another email from the cancellations team saying thered be a charge of €170 because I was still in my contract. I reiterated that I was no longer tied into a contract. Another confirmation that I was right, and saying my contract would be cancelled on 25th Feb.
    I replied saying that I wanted the service until 20th March, and got confirmation that this would happen.
    25th Feb - service cancelled. Unsurprisingly

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thanks alfaz for that much appreciated,

just one thing, why does your contract end on the 4/3/2011 and not on the 17/03/2011....is there an extra 2 weeks because of their billing system.

Its the 04/03 that it finishes, I rang them up and asked them to confirm it for me. so as it was the 17th I sent the email it was 30 days from then.

I sent them a letter as well that same day and they came back by email confirming they received that as well and that it would be 17th it will be disconnected.

Some people have said that 'CNX' needs to be put on the subject line and others said you don't, I put it in just to be on the safe side!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They truly are mindbogglingly incompetent.

I emailed them on 15th December to cancel my TV subscription - got an acknowledgement back and a query did I really want to cancel my direct debit? They told me that my next bill would be a final invoice.

I normally paid two monthly so paid half the bill to cover the month's notice.

i received a call from the so called loyalty during which of course they did their usual lying (this time it was Eircom increasing prices from 1st January)

Then I began getting texts telling me about amounts outstanding.

Then a bill for Feb/March

Then letters threatening debt collectors.

So I blew a fuse and rang got a nice guy who suggested I start the process all over again!!! When I told him that wasn't going to happen he told me he would do his best for me! He rang back later and assured me the account was cancelled.

A couple of days later yet another message left on my phone threatening that they would cut me off if I didn't pay.

I really felt as if I was being harassed.

When I sent them a formal complaint I was told it was all due to an administrative error and that they learnt from these events!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

I had an experience with them last year in a rented accommodation. Had an account in my name, only needed it for 9 months but had to take a 12 month one. When I enquired at month 7 to cancel at month 9 i was basicaly told it was cheaper to let it run out as the bill was 27euro a month as opposed to paying a cancellation fee of 100euro.

I sent them a number of letters and emails stating my case that I wanted it cancelled and they just couldn't understand what I wanted!!!

In the long and the short I got it cancelled by paying the 27 euro a month but then when they rang about collecting the upc box from the property (of which I had already left and had no more access for) I said I'd give them the landlord's contact number, I was then told I would recieve a letter and invoice in the post for a "lost" box...F**king madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

dub45 wrote: »
    They truly are mindbogglingly incompetent.

I emailed them on 15th December to cancel my TV subscription - got an acknowledgement back and a query did I really want to cancel my direct debit? They told me that my next bill would be a final invoice.

I normally paid two monthly so paid half the bill to cover the month's notice.

i received a call from the so called loyalty during which of course they did their usual lying (this time it was Eircom increasing prices from 1st January)

Then I began getting texts telling me about amounts outstanding.

Then a bill for Feb/March

Then letters threatening debt collectors.

So I blew a fuse and rang got a nice guy who suggested I start the process all over again!!! When I told him that wasn't going to happen he told me he would do his best for me! He rang back later and assured me the account was cancelled.

A couple of days later yet another message left on my phone threatening that they would cut me off if I didn't pay.

I really felt as if I was being harassed.

When I sent them a formal complaint I was told it was all due to an administrative error and that they learnt from these events!

That is what is happening to me right now. I cancelled in Sept of last year, got final bill (paid by dd), and we got a cheque before Christmas for a credit on our account. DD with Bank cancelled, so I figured that's it, done & dusted.

But good ole UPC, true to form, have texted me a few weeks ago about an outstanding bill :rolleyes: which I ignored. Then I got a bill this week :rolleyes::(
    I just posted the bill back to them, with a strongly worded note. :rolleyes:

I knew it was too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Deucemc

Ive had a really bad expierience with this 2 yrs ago! they are so inept at their job its really frustrating.

The way things stand now is they ignore me. i still have their s***y equipment they wont pick up and tell whoever asks what their really like!

Start from the bottom for full effect!
    My Address is as i've told you before, twice in this email conversation!

Co. *****.

I would appreciate if the equipment was collected as soon as possible.

Subject: RE: Disconnection/"non payment"
    Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:46:04 +0100
    To:

Dear **********
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    If you can advise of the address and a contact number of where the equipment is to be collected we can arrange for a technician to collect it.
    Yours Faithfully,
    UPC Credit Management

Sent: 28 May 2010 18:46
    To: >cmlegalteam

Dear Stephaine,

Where could one drop off the equipment? I will have someone drop it as soon as is possible. As ive noted im not in the country anymore, but the equipment is still awiating pick up. I can try and get someone to deliver it too you as soon as I can.

Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:35:01 +0100

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.ecxhmmessage{font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;}

Dear Mr*******

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in response.

Please be advised there was be advised a charged of €150 was applied to your account on the 12th November for unreturned equipment.
    If the equipment is returned to us then we can apply credit to your account for this charge.

If you have any further enquires, please do not hesitate to contact our Credit Management team of 1890 940 900or via email at cmlegalteam@upc.ie .

Yours Faithfully,

UPC Credit Management

Sent: 02 April 2010 23:21
    To: >cmlegalteam
    Subject: FW: Disconnection/"non payment"

Dear Sir/Madam,
    My name is ******and my previous account no was ***********.
    On the 22 March I received a Bad debt notification, to my old address from your legal department demanding payment of E123.49.
    Below you will find an email conversation between myself and one of your representitives on this very matter from September last year. 7 Months ago! As you can imagine i believed then the matter was dealt with. I have made a number of efforts to call your call centre but was met with an unacceptable wait. I also talked to one of your representitves 2 months ago, explained the situation, she apologised and I was told I was being taken off the system.
    I have since moved address once more and am now traveling with a clear mind that all my debts were cleared, which i believe they are.
    In the e-mail below from Ms. Dykes you will see that I am owed E42.33 which i was told she would ensure I would get. I have not recieved this cheque. She also thanked me for my patience in the matter, which has now been worn down.
    I would appreciate rapid rectifiation of this matter, as I am now considering seeking legal advice.

To: rdykes@upc.ie
    Subject: RE: Disconnection
    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:18:16 +0000
    .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.ecxhmmessage{font-family:Verdana;font-size:10pt;}Dear Ruth.
    Thanks for clearing it up. my address now is
    Thanks again,
    Subject: RE: Disconnection
    Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:42:07 +0100
    Hi *******

Thanks for getting this across to me, apologies for the delay in my response.

I have terminated the account immediately for you, and I have applied the credit to cover the period 22/06/09 (30 days after original disconnection request, as per the conditions of the contract) to today's date - €154.50 credit applied.

By my calculations, when the final invoice produces, the account will actually show a credit balance, as you had already paid up until 14/07/09. The final invoice should be generated within the next few weeks, so I will re-review the account for you, and I will arrange a refund to you of the credit amount. At this time, I am not sure exactly how much this will be, but it should be around about €42.33 give or take a few euro's.

Please can you provide me with a forwarding address, and I can ensure that this cheque reaches you, as I know that you have moved back in with your parents for the time being.

Thank you for your patience in this matter

Kind Regards,

Ruth Dykes

Chorus NTL
    Credit Management Department
    Tel: +353(0)61 272182
    Fax: +353(0)61 272001
    email: rdykes@upc.ie

Sent: 02 September 2009 12:41
    To: Ruth Dykes
    Subject: FW: Disconnection

To: resolutionline@upc.ie
    Subject: Disconnection
    Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 14:57:53 +0000
    Dear UPC,
    I would like to cancel my UPC subscription at *****, ********Cork. Account no *********. As soon as possible. You can forward on my next and last bill to
    Thanking you in advance,
    yours gratefully,
    What isnt included is the number of phone calls that were made with upc and me with the debtcollectors company who actually were very professional. explained the story and they told me they were having nothing to do with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sofia2010

hi i would like to cancel my account with upc,the account no.is <SNIP>
    my address <SNIP>
    email <SNIP>
    Regards Kate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

@sofia2010 you should really write to UPC and cancel your account that way, as far as i know it can not be done here through Boards.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

alfaz wrote: »

Ya but its alot easier to treat them like s*** the way most people do. People wonder why customer support aren't helpful

lala88 wrote: »
    Ya but its alot easier to treat them like s*** the way most people do. People wonder why customer support aren't helpful

I would say some people are just not nice people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

sofia2010 - You will need to write to UPC to cancel your account. It cannot be done via Boards.ie

This is an old thread, therefore closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement