Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated album in a bands discography?

• 03-01-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

What album in your opinion has been overlooked in a bands discography for others that were more commercially or critically successful. An example of this for me is the Queens of the stone age's lullabies to paralyse which in my opinion is sooo much better than either rated R or songs for the deaf. It had a real cohesion and brillantly dark atmostphere. It even had a single which should of been a hit in 'little sister'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Never been much of a QOTSA fan, but The Gay Parade(and early of Montreal) is usually forgotten compared to post Satanic Panic stuff, even though it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

I'd go for Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood

Scorned by many (it's lacking guitars, and a lot of the songs are more downbeat), but hugely appreciated by a small, select proportion of their fanbase :cool:

The singles off it were amongst their weakest ever though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pablo Honey is in my top two Radiohead albums but no many seem to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The most underrated album in The Smashing Pumpkins' discography has to be Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. It's certainly one of the best albums of their career and could even come close to Siamese Dream. It's a pity that the album was never properly released.

The most underrated album in Radiohead's discography is Hail To The Thief. There's such a great mixture of styles on the album, ranging from classic guitar-driven Radiohead to their more electronic stuff and it all fits together so nicely. And 'There There' is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Clouds Taste Metallic by The Flaming Lips is kinda underrated. Among really hardcores, it's well-loved, but in the 'mainstream' (sorry to use the term...), everything but The Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi/At War With The Mystics/Embryonic tends to get forgotten about. Clouds shows them at a really great stage, and some of the best guitar work by Ronald Jones, who then went recluse. Which is a huge loss to pop music. Definitely one of my favourite albums.

Pablo Honey's a good shout, always gets slagged 'cause it's no The Bends, but it's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Clouds Taste Metallic by The Flaming Lips is kinda underrated. Among really hardcores, it's well-loved, but in the 'mainstream' (sorry to use the term...), everything but The Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi/At War With The Mystics/Embryonic tends to get forgotten about. Clouds shows them at a really great stage, and some of the best guitar work by Ronald Jones, who then went recluse. Which is a huge loss to pop music. Definitely one of my favourite albums.
    Your're pretty spot on with that one. Although not just Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions From The Satellite Heart deserves as much love as their later stuff.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Your're pretty spot on with that one. Although not just Clouds Taste Metallic, Transmissions From The Satellite Heart deserves as much love as their later stuff.

I never loved Transmissions as much as a lot of their other stuff, dunno why. I was going to make a list of Lips albums that are underrated, but relative to how well-known the Lips are, it didn't really make sense, it's kinda all underrated (except for Telepathic Surgery :p ). Among Lips fans, everything's pretty well-represented. In the wider pop music world, I know the Lips back catalogue isn't well-known, but I figured, even if only for all the great guitar work on it, Clouds is under-recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I was listening to Eskimo Snow by WHY? today, I've read some negative press because of it's lighter sound and Yoni Wolf adopting a more standard style of singing, but it's a cracking album.

Not panned, but definitely underrated I feel, compared to the praise lavished on their two previous albums.

Example of it's awesomeness, (live, sound isn't fantastic)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I think Oasis' Don't Believe The Truth is an underrated album to an extent. Although the album spawned two UK no.1 singles as well as a no.2 single, the album didn't return Oasis to their mid-90s commercial glory and the album wasn't even nominated for Best Album at the Brit Awards in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rolling Stones - "Goats Head Soup" - it came after 4 albums that are rightly regarded as major classics, and its not as good as any of them, but its still a great record (the next one "Its only rock and roll" is also very underrated).

REM - "Up" - I prefer it to "New Adventures" which seems to be a fan favourite. Sadly its their last good album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

smokedeels wrote: »
    I was listening to Eskimo Snow by WHY? today, I've read some negative press because of it's lighter sound and Yoni Wolf adopting a more standard style of singing, but it's a cracking album.

Not panned, but definitely underrated I feel, compared to the praise lavished on their two previous albums.

Example of it's awesomeness, (live, sound isn't fantastic)

I agree, I really like that album, despite being recorded at the same time as Alopecia, people thought it was too much of a departure.Have you check out Josiah's solo record?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭deeks

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The most underrated album in Radiohead's discography is Hail To The Thief. There's such a great mixture of styles on the album, ranging from classic guitar-driven Radiohead to their more electronic stuff and it all fits together so nicely. And 'There There' is one of the best songs they ever recorded.

Totally agree. It got a bit of slack when it came out first but it's one of my favourite Radiohead albums.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Figure 8 by Elliott Smith is imo his best album. Streets ahead of XO Either/Or probably the two most regarded albums by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

teekayd25 wrote: »

Scorned by many (it's lacking guitars, and a lot of the songs are more downbeat), but hugely appreciated by a small, select proportion of their fanbase :cool:

I agree completely. I hated it at the time it was released. It grew on me. Now I prefer it to Send Away the Tigers and Postcards from a Young Man which are bother rubbish and throwaway in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

loyatemu wrote: »

REM - "Up" - I prefer it to "New Adventures" which seems to be a fan favourite. Sadly its their last good album.

Up is my fave too. I do like Reveal so I wouldn't say that Up was their last good album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Nirvana - In Utero, not loved by many but adored by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bossa Nova - Pixies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
    U2 - Pop
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Oasis - Be Here Now
    R.E.M - Reveal
    Neil Young - Trans

Radiohead - Kid A

That one was all over the "Best Albums of the Noughties" lists, panned at release, but pretty well-regarded now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

youth and young manhood by the much maligned kings of leon. tragically i think the band themselves have forgotton how good this body of work is compared to their new stuff (they only played one song off it in the recent o2 show-mollys chambers).

the sex on fire brigade seem oblivious to their past glories too and it seems to have initiated an "old kol" vs "new kol" divide.

our generations rolling stones in my opinion.love them or hate them.
    anyways ......my favourite song of all time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

youth and young manhood by the much maligned kings of leon. tragically i think the band themselves have forgotton how good this body of work is compared to their new stuff (they only played one song off it in the recent o2 show-mollys chambers).

the sex on fire brigade seem oblivious to their past glories too and it seems to have initiated an "old kol" vs "new kol" divide.

our generations rolling stones in my opinion.love them or hate them.
    anyways ......my favourite song of all time]

Completely disagree most fans of KOL say YAYM is their best output and shame on you for comparing them to the Stones.

Jagger on his own has more presence than KOL and all their fans microwaved together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

lordgoat wrote: »
    Completely disagree most fans of KOL say YAYM is their best output and shame on you for comparing them to the Stones.

Jagger on his own has more presence than KOL and all their fans microwaved together.
    fair enough your entitled to your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

El Pr0n wrote: »
    That one was all over the "Best Albums of the Noughties" lists, panned at release, but pretty well-regarded now!

Yeah I was pretty much going by the reaction to when it first came out. I remember there was some clown on Tom Dunnes radio show reviewing it, who compared it to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, which has to be heard to be believed!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

lordgoat wrote: »

Here here. The Stones are cool. KOL are creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

'The black album' by the damned ....criminally underrated dark masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

'The black album' by the damned ....criminally underrated dark masterpiece

good one,

that and Strawberries are their best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
    U2 - Pop
    Oasis - Be Here Now

I agree with all those. Be Here Now is my favourite Oasis album! It was highly rated on release but in time became an easy target.

Adore contains some really beautiful music.

Pop is hands down U2's best album!

Another one is Obscured By Clouds by Pink Floyd - this hardly ever gets mentioned, and is actually a really good little album; more focused than Meddle and Atom Heart, and less pompous as Dark Side Of The Moon. Its almost like a precursor to that album, and has long been my favourite.

Finley Quaye "Vanguard" was slated in the press, but actually had some great music on it (I wrote a blog on this album here: http://watchmeforthechanges.blogspot.com/2010/12/finley-quaye-vanguard.html

Most of the albums I listen to are "under-rated"... I'd have a better time on an "over-rated" thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Hot Chip- One Life Stand
    Pulp- This is Hardcore
    Goldfrapp- Head First
    MGMT- Congratulations
    Daft Punk- Human After All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

teekayd25 wrote: »

Oh I have waited so long for an opportunity to say this: same band different album: Manics Street Preachers Know your Enemy. I think it's a great album!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Generation Terrorist

First Muse album 'Showbiz' is still the best thing they've done in my opinion.

Advertisement