Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Araniell

Would anybody be able to give me a few quick pointers on changing to open DNS, working from the not-at-all-hypothetical situation that I can't access www.opendns.com (along with 95% of the rest of the internet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I love the person who mentioned OpenDNS!

It has made an amazing difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Araniell wrote: »
    Would anybody be able to give me a few quick pointers on changing to open DNS, working from the not-at-all-hypothetical situation that I can't access www.opendns.com (along with 95% of the rest of the internet)

Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Sec. DNS: 208.67.220.220

You will have to edit your Netopia Router settings.

http://192.168.1.254/

Go into Expert mode/Configure/Connection:

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

The above settings are on the Netopia 2247 wireless router, new GUI.

post originally by Irishpancake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Rebel021 wrote: »

Primary and Sec DNS settings are there, change to above, and hit Save/Restart button.

Good job, flying now! I can't wait for NTL Ultra to come to the area in the next 2 months and telling Eircom to go and sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Your very welcome ;)

Feel free to quote me any time, but this information comes with absolutely no guarantees, coz there are so many variables, like Opendns is not accessible tonite through eircom.

Strange that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

The only way I can view opendns.com is on 3G. Why is that?

Anyway, I'm using those settings now and it's fixed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive changed to opendns but now i cant get youtube on it, it keeps going to some search engine called bing.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

i switched over to opendns but when i try to check if its working on www.opendns.com it just times out.
    Anyone else having this problem with opendns?

All other sites seems to be back working now though.

Same here. Everything else is fine, but that site simply won't load for me. It'll resolve the domain name just fine, but times out opening the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fineospaul

yeap opendns only way to go - Eircom Servers extremely unreliable all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Damien360

Newbridge is crap tonight for eircom.

Changed to openDNS to get access to net.

Been saying it for months, switching to UPC...now this is the final straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My DNS is bollixed too. Endeavouring to open opendns.com.

As an aside, what's the difference between open dns and normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gonzothegreat

Yeah, ****e here in Rosslare, just changed over to open DNS cheers!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Yes, it's been awful since approximately 7pm today. Dún Laoghaire exchange. :cool: Can we submit a complaint? I'm rather offline than online this evening so clearly no service provided. Judging by the comments here, it's becoming quite regular so, basically, we're not getting the service we're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Bad all day here in Dublin 8, just switched to opendns and flying now! Thank you for the instructions.

My DNS is bollixed too. Endeavouring to open opendns.com.

As an aside, what's the difference between open dns and normal?

No difference, as far as I know, other than who owns the servers that provide (or fail to provide) the service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My Netopia's been in bits for ages so couldn't tell if this was affecting me at all, swapped it out for an antique Zoom DSL 'modem' and a Belkin router tonight to test... and I'm having this too. Slow lookups, slow loads, perfectly fine throughput when I get a connection though.

edit: OpenDNS seems to be resolving much faster...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Been crap all evening here.

Will see if I have permission to screw with the settings. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're ever stuck and can't remember the opendns settings (it's always handy to keep them on a PC in a text file, or an email so you can look them up whenever you're stuck) another good alternative is the level3 DNS servers, simply cos they're easy to remember.

4.2.2.1 straight through to 4.2.2.6, just pick any two or three of those and stick them in your router, or even use one from level3 and one from opendns if you want to cover all your bases. :)

as a stopgap measure (if you can't edit your router settings), you can manually add them into the dns settings on your PC's network connection instead of your router. will do the same thing, but only affects the PC you make the changes on. you can keep your IP address dynamic and set your dns servers manually.

assuming it's windows xp, go into the properties of your network connection and into tcp/ip settings and set dns to manual and put in the level3 or opendns server IP addresses and okay your way out and you're all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A couple of minutes ago when I tried to visit Boards, I got a picture of a lingerie clad woman. I've seen her before - when Ebay went all weird about 2 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Hey in my settings, the Primary and Secondary dns numbers are 0.0.0.0. What's that about? Is it ok to change them to the above numbers? Sorry, complete n00bfest here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I must say I am loving the new look boards.ie for sure;)

I am on Eircom and OpenDNS and www.boards.ie is giving me the image below and am accessing now from pie.boards.ie

The boards IP 89.234.66.107 will not let me login either.

pie.boards.ie and OpenDNS FTW.

use the OpenDNS settings as below.

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

I got several phonecalls all evening because of the Eircom DNS issues with people telling me the internet is broken to their computer is broken! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Firetrap wrote: »
    A couple of minutes ago when I tried to visit Boards, I got a picture of a lingerie clad woman. I've seen her before - when Ebay went all weird about 2 months ago.

I got the exact same trying to access rte.ie

Takes ages to get any site to load,

In Dublin on adsl

vibe666 wrote: »
    as a stopgap measure (if you can't edit your router settings), you can manually add them into the dns settings on your PC's network connection instead of your router.

Such a pain having to do this. I had to resort to this earlier, since my router crashes every time I put in the OpenDNS addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

What does it mean when that woman appears? That someone's hacked into Eircom? :confused:

That lingerie thing is strange innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Having awful problems here in Greystones.

Though Firefox wont load anything at all whereas IE8 will load the odd thing sometimes.

Wtf is going on and can someone in very simple language & instructions please give me a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sweater

Hi Folks,

I did up some quick instructions with screenshots on how to change your DNS settings. It's easy to follow and this will fix the slowness problem..

www.denclan.com/eircomrework.doc

:D

Jammyc wrote: »

Though Firefox wont load anything at all whereas IE8 will load the odd thing sometimes.

Wtf is going on and can someone in very simple language & instructions please give me a solution?

Do this, it seems to be working for most people around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Jammyc wrote: »

Found a guide on Twitter on for how to change the DNS in your Eircom modem for those who don't know how to.

Enter:
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Overblood wrote: »
    Do this, it seems to be working for most people around here.

Worked a treat for me! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement