Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seems OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cpu-dude wrote: »
    OpenDNS works a treat. By the way, they are:

These are publicly accessible DNS servers belonging to Verizon/GTE:

I haven't been able to access some big websites, particularly www.ebay.com or .ie while using 4.2.2.x DNS servers. It could be limited to people on vodafone/perlico (same company) however. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611689 for details.

OpenDNS definitely works, but i prefer to use another IP's DNS. Voda's own DNS is actually pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I call for sticky, this regularly comes up. Althogh Eircoms DNS may be ok today, chances are it'll go to shít again before long

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Here's an interesting one. Whenever I set my DNS servers to OpenDNS, my router crashes.

I have to reset it then, so I seem to be stuck using Eircom's service.

Anyone else encountered this?

I must try it with the Verizon servers mentioned above - but perhaps not when family members are trying to watch Wimbledon!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Hmmm... Possible workaround. Have set my network card to use Open DNS instead of Eircom. Will report on success, or lack thereof, for anyone who might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

It's really bad this evening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I changed mine to those and it works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

sigh. boards seems to be only site that works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What the hell they doing? It's been acting up last few days.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm having trouble here as well. Can't log into Windows Live Messenger, pages keep timing out and my Digiguide won't update. I'm having similar problems on another computer so it's nothing I've done :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

yup another fine eircom mess, switched to opendns servers all fine now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

i switched over to opendns but when i try to check if its working on www.opendns.com it just times out.
    Anyone else having this problem with opendns?

All other sites seems to be back working now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Champ

Its truly dire in Limerick at the moment.
    Managed to limp along manually to boards.ie via its IP (got lucky in the sense that while diagnosing the problem the DNS worked for the barest of seconds, not enough to load pages but enough to resolve a single IP).

Dug up this thread, grabbed the OpenDNS servers' IPs and made them my secondary DNS and once again I'm back online.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Massive packet loss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

in wexford here and its terrible. wont even load simple pages like hotmail, i went to check my BB stats and when i click on check a picture of a woman comes up, shes not naked but she not wearing a lot either,very odd...what the hell is up with it??????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've having very similar problems, and like the OP, I'm in Dundalk.

I switched the DNS servers to OpenDNS, and I think it is working ok. However, www.google.ie won't load for me (and it nearly always works).

Edit: www.google.ie now working, and changing to OpenDNS seems to have helped considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

same here, its absolutly awful right now...seems to happen every few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

how do you switch servers to openDNS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In Dundalk, browsing is horrible. Xbox Live is working to play against people online, no ping problems but some horrendous lag now and then. Marketplace is ****ed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Yea dns queries via Eircom are a disaster in Cork this evening.

lol:

picture.php?albumid=675&pictureid=3416

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Only way I got it working was to switch to opendns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tried to do a speed test and it kept failing the latency check before it even started :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I can't even get into OpenDNS to find out what it does :confused: Google's not working so I've had to use Bing. Perhaps it's an evil ploy by Micro$oft :P

Someone said that when they went to view their stats they saw a scantily clad woman. I can't see her myself but a few weeks ago it looked like someone had hacked into Ebay.ie and replaced several of the pages with a scantily clad woman. I wonder is it the same one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I am back on OpenDNS this now after changing back to Eircom as they were both bad a few days ago. When things get very bad neither will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Here in Limerick and my Internet is AWFUL. I am writing this fast because it took almost 20 reloads to get this open and it didnt even load right!

It was a godesend this was the first topic to appear, What is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Firetrap wrote: »
    Someone said that when they went to view their stats they saw a scantily clad woman. I can't see her myself but a few weeks ago it looked like someone had hacked into Ebay.ie and replaced several of the pages with a scantily clad woman. I wonder is it the same one?
    I saw her too when I tried to go on twitter, thought I had a virus or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Same errors happening down here in Kerry, it's a joke this evening! Boards is working okay actually the only two sites giving me trouble are hotmail and facebook, although I have hotmail opened now, but the lastime I refreshed to check for new messages it went down again.

I know we had a power-cut down here today and the IT hasn't been quite right sense, even in work...error + error + error = loosing patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Internet connection has been appaling since about 730pm here in galway city, it's practically unuseable. Having to post this from my phone. Grrr.

Any ideas what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I need to get on ps3, it's rather annoying now been the same for last two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Been woeful for me too for the past few days, I've just changed to OpenDNS and it's running perfectly now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement