Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

coadyj wrote: »
    Simple solution for all problems with eircom dns

Open Browser and type in 192.168.1.254

Click "Expert Mode" followed by "Yes Enter Expert Mode"
    Click "Configure" Then "Connection"

Change Primary DNS Server to 208.67.222.222
    And Change Secondary DNS Server to 208.67.220.220

Then Click "Save and Restart Connection"

This will fix all DNS problems, if you have any problems message me

Ehhh :(

You don't mention it, but this solution has already been suggested a looooong time ago, in this thread.

These are the OpenDns servers, BTW.

This is not a solution for "all problems with eircom dns".

It merely is a workaround to allow eircom customers by-pass the compromised/poisoned eircom DNS Servers.

To help people understand what may be happening, here is a video which illustrates and explains a DNS Poisoning Attack.

It does look as if eircom have not bothered to patch thier DNS servers to avoid this hack attack, which was announced more than a year ago by Dan Kaminsky, just Google it to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

tooley wrote: »
    Go to http://twitition.com/8g935 and sign the petition

We the undersigned petition Eircom to provide a usable broadband service

(1) Eircom should inform customers of outages (2) Eircom should inform customers of scheduled maintenances (3) Eircom should perform broadband maintenance between 3:00 AM and 6:00 AM (4) Eircom should consider using OpenDNS (5) Eircom should consider outsourcing its Customer Support Centre to someone who cares

Go to http://twitition.com/8g935 and sign the petition
    1 - They can't even inform themselves, outages are often unexpected and when they are excected, repairs do happen at night.
    2 - Why should they? There are no SLA's for residential customers to have it working 24-7, if you want that - get a business package.
    3 - They do.
    4 - That's a terrible idea. They need to have their own DNS which they manage themselves and have it in Ireland. You do realise Open DNS is a temporary alternative that's based in the states? And when was the last time Eircom had a DNS outage? One problem doesn't mean they should run off and use a public one - no ISP would ever do that.
    5 - You try imagine getting a possible 100,000 calls from nearly every Eircom customer all giving out about the exact same problem that the Care Support don't have any control over themselves. It's a global outage, unplanned obviously and anyone would get frustrated at having to repeat it to different people all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 diaduit73

this eircom bb trouble has only been happening to me for the last 3 nights, it always happens between 12:15am and 12:30am. the router says everything is fine (all green lights are on). It works fine during the day (and that's more important here) anyway when it happens I just turn off the computer, couldn't be bothered with it. so at the moment I'm not too worried about it. and have no intentions of changing any settings. I'm not surprised Eircom doesn't tell the full story, last time there was a problem where we had to change the password for the router (or something like that), they never said anything and it was a normal person who reported it and that forced Eircom to release a statement. so seen as Eircom haven't a clue how to fix the problem, could they not just get outside (another country's more techie people) help.

my reason for posting is I read all the posts on this topic, but seen one from someone that mentioned using credit cards online if eircom's something was hacked (I'm not a techie), I read some of the pages again but can't find the post to quote it. I used my parents credit card yesterday to buy something online, was that a bad idea, or should I not be worried? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭aidanodr

how is this helping? whats with the trolling aidanodr?
    REF: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61044641&postcount=293

Hey LE,

How is this TROLLING? As per WIKIPEDIA explanation of trolling:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion"

First I was replying to an original poster - robbie_998 - Who asked "is eircom not an auzzie or new zeland company ?"

What I posted had no intent where being inflammatory or contraversial is concerned.

It is relevant and on topic as we are talking about EIRCOM. In a round about way - with Eircom having financial difficulties - one could surmise that spend on infrastructure / security is being cut maybe? This has direct relevance to this topic AND it is a right that I can voice this opinion.

It was NOT posted with the "primary intent of provoking other users" - we are all in the same boat. As a matter of fact I thought this information would be of general interest as WE ALL are paying large sums to Eircom for services that some would say are not up to scratch, part of which is this kind of problem Eircom are having at the moment.

OK - I will potentially give you "generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion". Please reference above, I tell you again this was not my intention AND I personally think it is relevant, but then ... However I apologise to you and others unreservedly for any offense caused!

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭barthek

It does look as if eircom have not bothered to patch thier DNS servers to avoid this hack attack, which was announced more than a year ago by Dan Kaminsky, just Google it to find out.

thank God we have someone here who knows what is going on :P

• Advertisement

Hi Bartek and all,

Some interesting stuff on this from 2008:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/time_to_patch_d.html;jsessionid=UVBXDUWAEKKAIQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN

"CERT has issued an advisory, short on details about the exact nature of the problem, about a fundamental flaw in the DNS protocol which allows an attacker to poison a DNS cache. Working with the person who found the flaw, Dan Kaminsky, CERT notified vendors of the problem and is coordinating a publication of the patch. If you run a DNS server, check with your vendor to see if a patch is available."

AND:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11529

Poisoned DNS servers pop up as ISPs patch,

Troll free post .. I think :D
    Aidan

so... you know about the dns flaw. the world knows. but eircom dont...

dream on... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

A family member of my missus was rung by eircom about upgrading his phone package & his broadband package & he asked the eircom sales rep who called him about the problems, & was told by the sales rep

"the problems were dns related"

mentioned nothing about traffic problems like the eircom statement. Even their own staff can't stand by such a blatently obvious lie of the statement they released.

it would seem to me those in senior management in eircom who are involved in their 'crisis event management' think we're all biddy customers from back in the 1980's who will swallow any old line of crap they feed us .......

2009 & some things never change ........ makes me wonder if we all need to ring our local councillors & politicians like in the 1980's LOL ..... :-D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ven0m wrote: »
    A family member of my missus was rung by eircom about upgrading his phone package & his broadband package & he asked the eircom sales rep who called him about the problems, & was told by the sales rep

"the problems were dns related"

mentioned nothing about traffic problems like the eircom statement. Even their own staff can't stand by such a blatently obvious lie of the statement they released.

it would seem to me those in senior management in eircom who are involved in their 'crisis event management' think we're all biddy customers from back in the 1980's who will swallow any old line of crap they feed us .......

2009 & some things never change ........ makes me wonder if we all need to ring our local councillors & politicians like in the 1980's LOL ..... :-D

Well.. the problems were DNS related. I assumed the statement was referring to those. I think most would be annoyed if they trotted out the statement to anybody asked :)

Sully wrote: »
    Well.. the problems were DNS related ..

Both of you mention the word WERE, as in past tense. Is it all over?? :D

Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

aidanodr wrote: »
    Both of you mention the word WERE, as in past tense. Is it all over?? :D

Aidan

Last night seemed to be a different issue, judging by reports and it only lasted a very short period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

My eircom broadband is now working, but only if I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop, it is picking up the wireless signal, it says excellent, but only connects with 'limited connectivity' and won't open anything.

Ideas?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

My eircom broadband is now working, but only if I plug the ethernet cable directly into my laptop, it is picking up the wireless signal, it says excellent, but only connects with 'limited connectivity' and won't open anything.

Ideas?
    IP address issue. Make sure your wifi card IP settings are automatic and also try rebooting your router.

Failing that the wifi key stored on your PC may not match the key on the router so check that.

Go to start and then run. type CMD, click OK and then type ipconfig into the command prompt. Post up your IP address and gateway then if you're still have probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

IP address issue. Make sure your wifi card IP settings are automatic and also try rebooting your router.

Failing that the wifi key stored on your PC may not match the key on the router so check that.

Go to start and then run. type CMD, click OK and then type ipconfig into the command prompt. Post up your IP address and gateway then if you're still have probs.

It was indeed the Wifi Key, many thanks. Much appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It was indeed the Wifi Key, many thanks. Much appreciated.
    Pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Anyone know if it's safe to use online banking and CC details again ?

I know that most of the redirects seemed to be to completely crap ad portal sites, but is there a chance that there could be a dodgy clone site lurking in there somewhere too, overlooked by all the obvious redirects ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Any bank sites should usually have a valid SSL cert. Verify on that basis?

I can't help but wonder if this was the cause of Ireland's recent eTrouble!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530781,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

john__long wrote: »

If you read down the article far enough, you will realise that most of it is xenophobic speculation - nothing more. I'm sure hte ddos did happen, but the rest is speculation

I will admit I read the first half then it was simply a case of TL;DR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

On my Dad's laptop here. Can't pick up the wireless signal from our router the last day. My sister's laptop picks up the signal fine but it still times out. Both can pick up a Zyxel signal and access the internet. I'm kinda stumped what to do to get the signal back, I've used a WPA2 key I think in tandem with only allowing access to laptops whose mac addresses have been entered on the router. I can't access the router settings at all either.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

john__long wrote: »

It's not beyond possibility, however Eircom are unlikely to be an interesting target for them, beyond acting as a testing platform. More likely it's a group with commercial motivation trying the attacks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-warfare

The Internet security company McAfee stated in their 2007 annual report that approximately 120 countries have been developing ways to use the Internet as a weapon and target financial markets, government computer systems and utilities.

In activities reminiscent of the Cold War, which caused countries to engage in clandestine activities, intelligence agencies are routinely testing networks looking for weaknesses. These techniques for probing weaknesses in the internet and global networks are growing more sophisticated every year.

Asymmetric warfare is being developed using internet communications and methods to compromise systems are constantly being researched and refined.
    However, that is something for persons dealing with national infrastructure security to be concerned with.

What I do have a concern about though, is do ISPs in Ireland have a security officer or if they can't afford one are they able to call on security experts to audit their networks and have policies in place to deal with an attack?
    I fully expect Eircom as the largest ISP in the country has a security team that actively audits and pro-actively manages their infrastructure (or am I being naïve) so that serious threats such as DNS cache poisoning are minimised and preferably eliminated before they become a problem for the company and its userbase.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

On my Dad's laptop here. Can't pick up the wireless signal from our router the last day. My sister's laptop picks up the signal fine but it still times out. Both can pick up a Zyxel signal and access the internet. I'm kinda stumped what to do to get the signal back, I've used a WPA2 key I think in tandem with only allowing access to laptops whose mac addresses have been entered on the router. I can't access the router settings at all either.

Any ideas?

Nothing to do with this thread by the way. However you could try and reset the router and start all over again. Connect to the router by cable and this will allow you to set up a new wireless network - change name, wireless password and see if that can be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Has this Eircom DNS issue been finally resolved. My PC lost effective broadband connection over the weekend but I haven't used it since. If there are still problems then we'll move to OPENDNS

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

shamwari wrote: »
    Has this Eircom DNS issue been finally resolved. My PC lost effective broadband connection over the weekend but I haven't used it since. If there are still problems then we'll move to OPENDNS

Yes looks like its back in order
    My connection came back properly on Tuesday night.
    Thankfully hasn't dropped since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

If I made changes on the router to the DNS server and the other server, and Eircom is back working fine, do I need to make changes back to the way it was? or just leave it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

I think its reccomended thatyou change it back with the default DNS server. I did anyway working fine now

You can remain with OpenDNS. It makes no difference to performance or anything. Sometimes OpenDNS can be more reliable then ISPs DNS Servers.

There is no real "recommended" about it from what I can tell, just ISPs prefer you use their services and not anybody else. :)

I have to disagree with that.

ISPs servers are usually 'closest' to your DSL connection.

Meaning, your dns request doesn't have to go through international peering / transit links etc (which is a case with opendns as they dont have a server in Ireland) and this always adds latency to the request/reponse pair.

ISPs servers are usually run with big caches so the chances are someone in had already asked for the record you are asking.

This is all true under one condition - that ISP's servers work ;)

Cheers

• Advertisement

For your average person that wont make much of a difference. OpenDNS would probably have a much larger cache also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement