Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 skyknow

i guess they will have to keep some of the 100 euro coins back for those who send there orders in by post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Blade wrote: »
    Exactly which set did you ask for? They were probably surprised as everyone is calling looking for the single gold 100 Euro coin and the other golds and silvers.

The 1916 commemorative double set - the wife would definitely have lost the rag if i dropped 700 big ones on the single gold 100 Euro coin (regardless of potential re-sale value :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

The 1916 commemorative double set - the wife would definitely have lost the rag if i dropped 700 big ones on the single gold 100 Euro coin (regardless of potential re-sale value :))

You are doing it wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Has any one been in to buy any of these today?
    Just wondering if they would all be gone by 12:30

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Been hanging on the phone since 10 this morning; I get in the queue, and then somewhere between 6 and 10 mins, a phone starts ringing for about 1 min, and then the call hangs up. I'm just keeping redialling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sirdeclan

Yeah exact same was happening to me since 9.30 this morning. Happened 6 times. I was ringing on mobile and landline at the same time. Not a very fair queuing system when the call hangs up after 17 minutes. Eventually go through after 45 minutes but I appreciate they are bound to be busy.

Just got through to be told the €100 proof (the only one I was after today) has been sold out - very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Same thing happened with the pre-sale. You were on hold for about 3:30secs then phone rang till about 4:20secs to 4:50secs and then cut off. Took me nearly an hour to get through.

Spocker wrote: »
    Just got through to be told the €100 proof (the only one I was after today) has been sold out - very disappointing

wow that is quick, but to be expected i guess, still may head in to see if i can get the 50 euro ones........

Any on adverts yet. Curious to see the crazy prices people will look for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Have any of the others sold out yet, anyone know?

So I called back, asking was there any flexibility for existing customers on "sold out" (for the €100), but there isn't. Theres *some* stock in Dame Street, but it's expected to be gone by 12:30, and Sandyford won't hold one for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Spocker wrote: »
    So I called back, asking was there any flexibility for existing customers on "sold out" (for the €100), but there isn't. Theres *some* stock in Dame Street, but it's expected to be gone by 12:30, and Sandyford won't hold one for you.

Great, you got 5 mins to get in there lads! :)

I also took the opportunity to give the person in the CCU some feedback on the phone queueing system, and she mentioned that its helpful if it's in writing, the more complaints they get the better (so they can feed it back to their IT department) - send the email with your complaint to coinsets@centralbank.ie

They had 200 of them in Dame street and were giving out tickets for them and the double sets, wait of about 45 mins to get them too.
    Think all the tickets were gone by 1:30

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

hexosan wrote: »
    That's a nice return on your investment.

No no no that's not me - just went trawling through ebay to see what was up there.

Being honest, this sh*t sickens me given there is a lot of disappointed genuine collectors out there today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Thanos wrote: »
    They had 200 of them in Dame street and were giving out tickets for them and the double sets, wait of about 45 mins to get them too.
    Think all the tickets were gone by 1:30

Would they hold some over for postal orders? not everyone can get to Dublin, I posted my order in last Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

signostic wrote: »
    Would they hold some over for postal orders? not everyone can get to Dublin, I posted my order in last Wednesday

My guess is that they would have to. I reckon that they allocate some for the pre-sale period. Then some for Dame Street, dealers, phone orders and postal orders.

So sold out on the phone does not necessarily mean sold out elsewhere.

• Advertisement

No no no that's not me - just went trawling through ebay to see what was up there.

Being honest, this sh*t sickens me given there is a lot of disappointed genuine collectors out there today :(

I know it wasn't you. The your wasn't directed at you.

These coins are gorgeous. The packaging is in my opinion the nicest yet. The black cardboard box with the fold-out front panel is nice. It is great that there is some tissue inside to protect the presentation case. The mahogany look case makes it seem very luxurious. There is a nice little booklet rather than just a certificate. The way the coin capsule is set into a wooden tray that sits up at an angle for display purposes is beautiful.

My only criticism (other than the price) is that the booklet is very small and hard to read, though that may just be my eyes getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Out of curiosity - how long does it normally take to find out if a postal order has been successful or not (on launch?). Do they ring you if you are unsuccessful or just return the cheque etc?

Like some others above, I sent my postal order early last week, so just wondering when I will know either way if I have been successful or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Personally,
    I would contact them tomorrow and explain the situation as it could get overlooked. At least you should be able to find out one way or the other

Thanks Pimpmyhat - will give them a call and see if I get anywhere!

It would be kinda lousy if they didn't honour postal orders that were in before the release date. First come first serve like. Anyone knowing about the coins before the release date after all must have a genuine interest in coins. That's what I reckon anyway.😳

I imagine the central bank purely want to sell the stock and are not overly concerned who buys it?

I wonder what they will do if someone put in an order for 5 coins and 2 are out of stock, and the order is paid for by cheque, I assume they would have to contact the person to see what they wanted to do.

Will definitely be interesting to see what they do here, especially since they did limit the number available for purchase as they assumed there would be high demand.

The €100 gold coin and double set are both now marked sold out on the Central Bank website.

I was onto them about 90 minutes ago and they had double sets available - although I was told that the central bank was sold out of a lot of their allocations.

Sadly from my point of view, it appears my postal order has been 'lost' somewhere - so I am out of luck for the 100 euro coin. There is absolutely nothing they can do for me, even if they were to find it at this stage!

As an FYI, they did say they processed all postal orders received by Friday before making any coins available on Monday morning !

• Advertisement

So are you saying if you ring them you might still get a double set?

Advertisement