Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's New Season.

• 07-08-2003 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

RTÉ's Autumn schedule is announced
    RTÉ's Autumn TV schedule has been announced today.

Among the highlights are a new eight-hour medical drama series set in Dublin called 'The Clinic', 'Holy Cross', a docu-drama co-produced by RTÉ and BBC Northern Ireland about the tensions surrounding the Holy Cross School in Belfast and the return of 'Bachelors Walk'.

'Strumpet City', the adaptation of James Plunkett's acclaimed novel, will be repeated while there will be new movie premieres, game shows, music programmes, documentaries and the return of 'You're a Star'.

Irish cinema will be celebrated in the Ireland On Screen season featuring 'About Adam', 'Accelerator' and 'My Left Foot'.

US shows returning include favourites 'ER', 'The West Wing' and 'Boston Public'.

Sounds interesting hope the medical drama works out. Please not another Casulty or Holby City, please let it be more like ER.

And no mention of "On Home Ground" please god don't let it return.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

YAY!! 'Boston Public', i love that shhoooowww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Zer0^

thats a class program and there is sopranos is good aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If thats the highlights....it looks like RTEs summer schedule has been extended year round.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Repeating Strumpet City eh?

I supose some people will be quite excited by this. Mind you the BBC repeat some old series all the time and don't announce it in their new season press releases. I can see it now: "this year, the Corporation proudly brings you repeats of Keeping Up Appearances, Dr Who and Brideshead Revisited. Stop the presses"

Nice to see some favourites back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sceptre
    Repeating Strumpet City eh?

I supose some people will be quite excited by this. Mind you the BBC repeat some old series all the time and don't announce it in their new season press releases. I can see it now: "this year, the Corporation proudly brings you repeats of Keeping Up Appearances, Dr Who and Brideshead Revisited. Stop the presses"

Nice to see some favourites back though.

The beeb would do well to show some Dr Who they seem very reluctant, Brideshead was of course on ITV, back when they had some standards!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    Brideshead was of course on ITV, back when they had some standards!
    Was it now, how times (and ITV standards) change. That's what I get for growing up in a 2-channel household:).

Dr Who is on UK Gold if that's of any use (very very late on Saturdays and Sunday mornings). Never saw it as a wee bairn so I've been watching it lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Wow, strumpet city. That really does bring back memories. It was actually very good afair, mind you i was a tad young first time round.

When is the new RTE "This Life"-esque series starting? I cannot for the life of me remember what its called but im pretty sure its starting to shoot quite soon. I think theres also some sort of youth soap deal on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I dont think it would be a great idea if Keeping Up Appearances was in a press release since in on so ****ing much on both the Beeb and RTE. Strumpet City is on because its author died a few months ago and its RTE's 40 years thing. I want to see it anyway.
    When is the new RTE "This Life"-esque series starting? I cannot for the life of me remember what its called but im pretty sure its starting to shoot quite soon. I think theres also some sort of youth soap deal on the cards.

Either your talking about Batchelor's Walk (Please More then 6 maybe 10 episodes) which I don't think is anything like This Life (Why do we need to say that Its the next This Life or the Next Teachers, is boston public americas version of teachers?) Or else your talking of Now And Again. Which didn't get the acclaim of Batchelor's walk and was a co production with the BBC please lets not have it return it was okay but once was enought and also I thought that was the Irish version of Sex and The City?

Also the quote comes from RTE Entertainment and is not a full press release because as such the press release hasn't been release at least not on the web.

Also TV3's new season is looking more like its summer season.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

'The Clinic' wouldn't happen to be based in the hospital visited in 'Fair City' would it.

It's just that there was an episode of 'Fair City' (possible Pilot for 'The Clinic') with Mags and Charlie in the hospital but the cameras and direction was totally different and there was a Charlie chase scene. The whole Yvonne Christmas overdose thing set there aswell.

Looks like it's trying to be 'ER' without the budget to me. It'll probably be along the lines of 'Shortland Street', or 'All Saints'.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

[skanger]

ACCELERATOOOOOOORR!!

[/skanger]

God, the abuse I got for bringing a few friends to see that one afternoon :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Elmo

Either your talking about Batchelor's Walk (Please More then 6 maybe 10 episodes) which I don't think is anything like This Life (Why do we need to say that Its the next This Life or the Next Teachers, is boston public americas version of teachers?) Or else your talking of Now And Again. Which didn't get the acclaim of Batchelor's walk and was a co production with the BBC please lets not have it return it was okay but once was enought and also I thought that was the Irish version of Sex and The City?

Perhaps you missed my cunning use of the word 'new' to indicate a brand new programme?:)

Its called The Big Bow-Wow and its basically an irish version of This Life/Thirtysomething (possibly twentysomething, not sure :))

Its easier to reference something that people are familiar with than say "its a drama which revolves around a group of young people living in dublin and examines their lives and loves in a new and throught provoking manner"..... yep, This Life is a lot easier to type ;)

I dont think it would be a great idea if Keeping Up Appearances was in a press release since in on so ****ing much on both the Beeb and RTE
    Quite. That's why I put it in my list.

Quite. That's why I put it in my list.

Well now when was the last time strumpet city was on. Also it has been digital remastered with input from the late James Plunket.
    Perhaps you missed my cunning use of the word 'new' to indicate a brand new programme?

Wow!
    its a drama which revolves around a group of young people living in dublin and examines their lives and loves in a new and throught provoking manner

Is this life so, or mores the question is this what Thirtysomething was supposed to do?

Please make it be more like This Life, Thirtysomething annoyed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Dustaz
    It was actually very good afair, mind you i was a tad young first time round.

THAT long go yeah ? Christ

Is this life so, or mores the question is this what Thirtysomething was supposed to do?

Ive read this a few times but i have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Yellum, shush :P

I this is what I mean,

"its a drama which revolves around a group of young people living in dublin and examines their lives and loves in a new and throught provoking manner"

is "this life" so?
    And is this what thirtysomething was supossed to do?

If that doesn't explain, I couldn't be arsed trying, it aint important.

Originally posted by yellum
    THAT long go yeah ? Christ

/me was 5

It's been on a few times since (though not for quite a few years)

Advertisement