Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

No but I'm a mod telling the three of ye to knock it off now. No more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Lemlin wrote: »

The game was over from five minutes or so into the second half.

If Smith's shot hit the back of the net rather than the post there would have been a very close finish.
    Meath clearly deserved to win the game however but Kildare are a younger team earlier in their development than Meath but have possibly greater scope for improvement despite Meath's injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

well your not a mod so on your bike telling me I am trolling.

back to breffni with you.

I told you in my opinion your posts were not banter. I'm not claiming to be a mod.

I would point out to you that key to this forum is attack the post, not the poster. Again, I am not a mod but it is a rule of the forum.

"Back to Breffni with you" has nothing to do with my post. In my opinion Meath are a better team than Kildare. Until June 28th I would not have thought that but Meath had a solid win IMO.

The two teams didn't play each other last year but I saw both play Dublin in Croke Park and Meath put up the better showing if that can be used as a yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Felexicon wrote: »
    Sure don't you know I wear a Kildare jersey to bed every night.

Unfortunately the heart is ruling the head and I'm starting to think we have a chance next Sunday.

Leave Lemlin alone too, the Cavan thread will be a fierce lonely place thissummer
    if Dublin get out of first gear they would hammer any team in leinster felex its unfortunate but that's where we are.

would love to see you stay with them though but just cant see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

There is 50/50 chance we will end up playing meath again that's if we win our next game and dubs beat meath next week, I have no doubt we would beat them next time we are no world beaters but still think we are better than meath.
    lol.. I've heard it all now

• Advertisement

risteard7 wrote: »
    lol.. I've heard it all now
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare would do well to forget about that Meath match. Kildare had one of their all too frequent days when they just don't motor for whatever reason. That's not to take away from Meath who were value for a fair bit more than 5 points better than us on the day.

Kildare are probably one or two years behind Meath in their development. Unfortunately for Jason Ryan patience is usually in short supply around these parts. We have to be realistic about where the team is at the moment. Look at the team that started today: Donnellan, Moolick, Conway, McNally and Fogarty are in their first year starting. Although Fitzpatrick is around a while today was his first start. O'Grady made his first championship appearance off the bench. Eoin Doyle, Keith Cribbin and Gary White are only back after spells off the panel for different reasons. No Johnny Doyle or Dermot Earley and great servants like Foley, Bolton and Callaghan very much on the back nine of their careers.

Kildare's no show against Meath happens to teams that lack experience. Kildare need some leaders to emerge and we might have seen the start of that today in Newry. Moolick, Conway and Fogarty really stood up this afternoon when it looked like Kildare were going to implode again. They are only 22/21 so that's an encouraging sign for the future.

Best case scenario for Kildare this summer is getting to a quarter final and putting up a good display. We have to be realistic. It's going to take time for this team to get back to where Kildare were from 2009-2011. We're going to need a few more players to come through particularly in the defence but the glass is half full at the moment even if we don't go any further this year. The minor match next weekend will be just as important as the senior match. We need young players coming through who are used to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Nib wrote: »
    I'd have no doubt if Kildare played Meath tomorrow they'd beat them.

Man for man Kildare are the better team.

Why didn't you beat us when you had the chance?

Clare away. Not the worst draw. Glad we avoided Armagh and the inevitable media circus that fixture would have created.

Throw in scheduled for 7 in Ennis next Saturday night.

Expensive weekend if anyone is planning on taking in the minor match on Sunday as well! Nice to have these matches to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Gone to rot. Not the same since Johnny Doyle left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

No leadership at all on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Phewwwwwww! close one- much too close for my liking!- kildare abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Blessed!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

A win is a win.

Hopefully Ryan learns something from this or else we're on for hiding against Dublin, Monaghan or Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Fair play Kildare, I thought we had ye when we went six points up but ye showed yere experience to eek out the win. Game could very easily have gone to extra time but for a few bad wides from us near the end but we have came on leaps and bounds under Colm Collins this year all the same. Was talking to a few Kildare lads after the match and they seemed a very sporting crew. Best of luck in the rest of the championship.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Blessed!!!!!
    win is a win regardless

Jaysus that was close
    CILL DARA ABU

Dublin after getting a run on the Minors 3-8 to 1-6, more than likely no way back but hopefully their confidence doesn't take to much of a battering for the Cork game.

Dublin after getting a run on the Minors 3-8 to 1-6, more than likely no way back but hopefully their confidence doesn't take to much of a battering for the Cork game.

Kerry game rather.

So Monaghan it is, Croker, 2nd of August.

It would be just like Kildare to go and beat them. The two week break will probably benefit Monaghan more, that was a very energy sapping and bruising encounter in Clones today. Amazing to think Conor McManus only scored one point and that came in the 71st minute. I feel Ollie Lyons should be the man tasked with minding him. Surely Alan Smith will start the next day. Darroch Mulhall played for Athy today and he was brilliant by all accounts, he could well be another option.

Strangely our defence has been tight in the last two games. Two clean sheets and just 23 points conceded.

We have plenty of options up front now with Mulhall, Brophy and O'Flaherty returning. It will be an interesting team selection for this game.

• Advertisement

So Monaghan it is, Croker, 2nd of August.

It would be just like Kildare to go and beat them. The two week break will probably benefit Monaghan more, that was a very energy sapping and bruising encounter in Clones today. Amazing to think Conor McManus only scored one point and that came in the 71st minute. I feel Ollie Lyons should be the man tasked with minding him. Surely Alan Smith will start the next day. Darroch Mulhall played for Athy today and he was brilliant by all accounts, he could well be another option.

Strangely our defence has been tight in the last two games. Two clean sheets and just 23 points conceded.

We have plenty of options up front now with Mulhall, Brophy and O'Flaherty returning. It will be an interesting team selection for this game.

What makes you think the game will be in Croke Park? I haven't seen any announcement.

I thought it'd be tomorrow at least.

Dermot Earley said on The Sunday Game it will be in Croke Park, probably a double header with Armagh v Meath.

Dermot Earley said on The Sunday Game it will be in Croke Park, probably a double header with Armagh v Meath.

Is that not just his expectation though? Ii really can't see the reason for dragging the four counties to Croke Park where the atmosphere will be terrible because it won't be near full.

Croker on the 2nd, Armagh v Meath at 5 and Kildare v Monaghan at 7.

For what it's worth Lemlin, I totally agree. These games should be in provincial grounds. Navan would have been perfect for the Kildare game, the atmosphere would be ten times better.

They will be lucky to get 30,000 into Croke Park for these two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Royce McCutcheon

Have to agree, these round 4 games have drawn terrible crowds over the years in Kildare and with support for the county very low this year in particular, 25000 would be an optimistic figure.I dont get how the GAA see any benefit in playing these games in Croke Park, the empty seats and dead athmosphere does nothing for the game. In fact I think more people would be willing to travel to Navan than Croke Park..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its on sky also

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

And the Hill won't be open so the option to buy cheaper tickets reserved for the Dubs again !!!

A mixed bag of a weekend. Great that the seniors are still standing. Disappointing day out for the minors but there is still a quarter final ahead of them albeit the draw could have been kinder. I didn't make the minor match after Saturday night in Ennis so I can't comment on their performance any further.

Kildare played some very disjointed football in the first half against Clare. A lot of the media reports are putting that down to complacency which I think is a bit disrespectful to a well organised and highly motivated Clare side who contained a few damn fine footballers. We are not a top tier team. Kerry who are one of the best in the country got a right rattle in Ennis too so it was not exactly a bolt from the blue.

We were wiped out at midfield and our forwards were dropping out too deep as a result because of the lack of decent ball going in. Some of our bigger names were really off their games in that first half and had it not been for Fitzpatrick, Conway, Lyons and Smith we could have been in proper bother.

The comeback in the last 20 minutes was very heartening and should stand to the team in the future. Maybe Clare ran out of steam a bit but Kildare do deserve great credit for getting the last 7 scores of the game. At no point was there any panic. They trusted their game plan and eventually got it right. Smith had one of his best outings in a white jersey and Eoghan O'Flaherty played like a man who had a point to prove. Some of the more inexperienced players really shone in the closing stages. Conway was excellent all game, Fitzpatrick was very solid, and Hurley and Brophy did well off the bench. The game was played at a good pace in a bear pit of an atmosphere. We can only hope that it serves as a positive moment in those players' development.

We will have to improve against Monaghan and will certainly go in as underdogs. We are not without a chance though and another win on Saturday week followed by a decent showing in a quarter final would give us something to build on for next year. We have been finishing all our games really strongly which is testament to the fitness work done by the panel and the quality of substitute we are able to introduce. However we cannot afford another slow start here because Monaghan have the firepower to be out of sight before we hit our second half purple patch. If we are still with them at the fifty minute mark, we have a right chance.

Big night ahead for the u21 hurlers going for three in row in the Leinster A Championship against Wicklow. They deserve a big support in Newbridge tonight after their big win over Meath in the semi final. There are some very promising hurlers in this team like Gerry Keegan, Evan Dempsey, Niall Kenny, Declan Flaherty and Sean Gainey.

Kildare 2-7 Wicklow 0-12

Three Leinster titles in a row. Great achievement for all involved with these teams and hopefully a sign of good things to come for Kildare hurling.

• Advertisement

Great stuff.

What a great year it has been so far for Kildare hurling.

Advertisement