Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBS: The end

• 03-07-2014 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

The National Broadband Scheme is coming to an end. Users of the scheme currently get a higher download allowance on the mobile option (40MB/mth) and a monthly fee subsidy (about €20/Mth) on the satellite option.

Deputy Robert Troy TD repeated the question he asked the Minister a year ago, which was
    …..if his officials have ascertained from 3 the services that will be available in NBS areas after August 2014, particularly relating to mobile download limits and satellite fees; if 3 has given any continuing commitment in relation to the mobile base stations deployed under the scheme

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte) responded that..
    ... the NBS intervention was for a limited duration and accordingly, the contract is due to expire on 25th August 2014.

“3” have confirmed to my Department that it will continue to provide coverage throughout the areas covered under the Scheme, on a commercial basis. Furthermore, I understand that “3” plan to extend 4G coverage to these areas over the coming years.

Following expiry of the NBS contract and the cessation of the services specified under the contract, “3” will offer customers in NBS areas the same mobile broadband plans and tariffs, as those offered throughout its commercial footprint. I understand that such plans include the option of a 15GB and a 60GB monthly data limit.

With reference to the provision of services to NBS satellite customers, which have been provided under the NBS contract via a third party supplier, I understand that commercially confidential negotiations are ongoing to ensure that these customers are offered a satellite broadband service on a commercial basis. Until such time as these negotiations are finalised, I am not in a position to provide any further information.

I understand that each NBS mobile and satellite broadband customer will receive an individual letter from “3” in the next few weeks, informing them of the expiry of the NBS contract, the service options available to them as well as the opportunity to decline the services offered without penalty, should they so wish.

So it seems the download allowance will be reduced to 15Mb/s. Mobile coverage will remain 'on a commercial basis’, and the satellite fees will remain 'on a commercial basis' subject to negotiations being 'finalised', whatever that means.

Curiously, a rep from Three was asked about the 40MB download allowance continuing after August, and after checking with his manager stated that the download allowance would be retained because "they were signing up new customers every day”

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what’s in the letter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Number of real Broadband connections delivered by the scheme = 0

Mobile can't be Broadband at all.

Satellite latency is too high and capacity too low to qualify as Broadband. Many satellite packages never met the NBS requirements (in capacity and speed) unless the customers complained.

Most Mobile connections never met the requirements and NONE met the the original tender requirements.

Someone(s) still needs to end up being fined and/or imprisoned for the dishonest NBS fiasco. It was at best a nearly National Internet promotion scheme and likely not much more than helping finance Three's 3G Mobile voice Mast rollout out. They had been in contravention of their licence due to tardy roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

watty wrote: »
    Number of real Broadband connections delivered by the scheme = 0

Mobile can't be Broadband at all.

Satellite latency is too high and capacity too low to qualify as Broadband. Many satellite packages never met the NBS requirements (in capacity and speed) unless the customers complained.

Most Mobile connections never met the requirements and NONE met the the original tender requirements.

Someone(s) still needs to end up being fined and/or imprisoned for the dishonest NBS fiasco. It was at best a nearly National Internet promotion scheme and likely not much more than helping finance Three's 3G Mobile voice Mast rollout out. They had been in contravention of their licence due to tardy roll out.

Is Eamon Ryan responsible for the National Broadband Sham?

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/communications+development/national+broadband+scheme.htm
    Following the conclusion of a competitive tendering process, the contract to implement and operate the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) was entered into with "3" (a Hutchison Whampoa company trading as 3) on 23 December 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_Ryan#In_government
    He was re-elected at the 2007 general election. Following the Green Party's special convention vote in favour of entering into a coalition government with Fianna Fáil and the Progressive Democrats on 13 June 2007, Ryan was appointed to the cabinet as Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources when the 30th Dáil sat the following day.

He became the Minister for Communications in 2007 and the sham was introduced in 2008.

I met him (with others) and discussed it. He and his minders got a presentation explaining why it could NEVER deliver a single Broadband connection

It wasn't his scheme. He 'inherited' it and believed the civil servants that he had to sign it off and that a new tender proposal could not not initiated.

He preferred to believe the Mobile Industry (Eircom/Meteor and Three) and proven inept Department officials, also a Consultancy Company that makes most of their money form Mobile Vendors and Operators (like Voldemart I probably can't mention who) rather than neutral experts.

Ministers don't run the the country or Departments. Often nameless unelected civil servants do. But we know a lot of their names.

Perhaps someday "the political hamsters will turn on the snake of the Civil Service" (A misquote about the Tiger Thatcher). One furry animal may be a mongoose some day. Then there may be legal retribution.

Ryan was a hapless pawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

I believe it was just straightforward incompetence from civil servants that destined the NBS scheme to failure. They didn't have a fundamental understanding of the technologies involved. I don't think corruption was involved, although I am sure a lot of pressure was put on the decision makers from their paid consultants.
    Not understanding the difference between Mobile Broadband and Fixed Wireless broadband was a major flaw. More money should have gone to Fixed Wireless Broadband companies.
    A large chunk of the money should have been paid to Eircom to enable aDSL exchanges in small villages and other rural trunk locations, villages and communities that have been ignored by Eircom. A reliable 2Mb aDSL connection is a lot more useful to a rural small business owner or farmer than a 3Mobile 8Meg 3G connection that is unreliable and will often disappear or go no faster than 0.5Mbps.

Eircom was the runner up. Their plan had almost no DSL. Mostly 3G via Meteor and the maximum allowed Satellite. They quoted a viable price for a real satellite service so Three one as they had quoted unrealistically low for an at the time non-existent service. Three thus lost a lot on the Satellite installs and did many below the contract spec to save money and messed about with 3G repeaters which should be illegal on a Residential property.

Only a proper independent investigation can say if Incompetence or Corruption. Even Incompetence can be actionable via Civil or Criminal law or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

Very interesting Watty. I believe the civil servants had their hearts in the right place, but unless they were experienced network, radio and communication engineers they were bound to be mislead. I deal with semi-states on a weekly basis and most do their absolute best, but you have to remember that realistically they are just administrators in a closed, walled-off closeted environment, which makes it even harder to make a decision. Also having to reach a consensus between a group of civil servants is a very long, tedious and infuriating task to watch from the point of view of an outside private company. I always think of them as being wrapped up in cotton wool with no contact with the real world. There have been big changes in the past few years in the way they operate and some have been very proactive in dealing directly with contract suppliers, but the amount of politics involved is phenomenal and can slow the process down by years!

I didn't know that 3Mobile may or may not have used 3G repeaters in residential estates, I presume they may or may not have forgotten to apply for planning and testing, naughty 3Mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There's a thread already about this in the Talk to Three forum but I think we need one in the IO forum. Share your experience/stories/thoughts on the scheme. Past, present and future.

Also can someone confirm if i'm right here.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/91432730

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

Yes got a letter today stating that the NBS ends at midnight on 25th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Techspert wrote: »
    but unless they were experienced network, radio and communication engineers they were bound to be mislead.

I beg to differ.

I very quickly picked up enough from these forums in a couple of days to know the story with mobile midband.

It was their JOB to investigate the options and come to the best decision for the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

I upgraded there yesterday not knowing any of this. It said it was for the 40GB NBS. I never received my letter. Will they have to honor my contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

jonseyblub wrote: »
    I upgraded there yesterday not knowing any of this. It said it was for the 40GB NBS. I never received my letter. Will they have to honor my contract?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

FYI

Three have put up FAQ pages for end of contract queries on mobile and satellite.

NBS satellite customers will become Digiweb customers if they wish. It's not stated what the fees will be, and there doesn't appear to be a direct equivalent to the NBS specifications. Digiweb advertise their entry level Satellite package here. It looks like either €34.95/mth or €39.95/mth

Very often for the 1st year Three wasn't supplying NBS spec satellite.
    I'd love to know what proportion of Three NBS Satellite and Mobile customers ever got the NBS spec.

€40 a month is about what Satellite Internet costs. Cheaper packages are usually rubbish. It's not Broadband, but is more reliable than 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

clohamon wrote: »
    FYI

Three have put up FAQ pages for end of contract queries on mobile and satellite.

NBS satellite customers will become Digiweb customers if they wish. It's not stated what the fees will be, and there doesn't appear to be a direct equivalent to the NBS specifications. Digiweb advertise their entry level Satellite package here. It looks like either €34.95/mth or €39.95/mth

Funny that they don't mention that if you renew your contract before the scheme ends they will honor it so out of contract customers can sign up again for a new contract and another 12 months of NBS prices.

my3cents wrote: »
    Funny that they don't mention that if you renew your contract before the scheme ends they will honor it so out of contract customers can sign up again for a new contract and another 12 months of NBS prices.

Yes that looks right, but there's no guarantee that the base station in your area will be retained.

It will depend on voice usage for a mast. They don't really make money from data, mainly the profit is voice.

But after the merger a Three modem should work on an O2 mast.

It will depend on voice usage for a mast. They don't really make money from data, mainly the profit is voice.

But after the merger a Three modem should work on an O2 mast.

But aren't we going to eventually end up with the same issue as in the UK when Orange took over T-Mobile (creating EE) and started decommissioning masts? In that case some users who previously had decent speeds ended up with no connection at all. Google shows up loads of examples like this http://www.advicetoofcom.org.uk/blog/2013/04/network-rationalisation-causes-reception-problems-ee-customers-wales

I can't see three keeping all its own masts and all 02's going when they can cull a lot that cover the same area and save money.

The war of words continues...

The Irish Independent writes a misleading leader....
    The fact that the National Broadband Scheme is being allowed to expire with no contingency or backup will result in thousands of people seeing their internet bills close to doubling at the end of this month. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial-state-failing-to-protect-vital-rural-services-30491755.html#sthash.EcIwsjeZ.dpuf
    and Three reply through the Examiner...
    Three Ireland said its new, monthly charge will give direct debit customers a 15GB allocation for €21.99, compared to the price on the scheme of €20.32 for 40GB.

For customers who would like to increase the data allocation, they can choose a Broadband Pro plan which gives 60GB for €34.99 per month.

Both fail to note that
    190,000 (4 out of 5) households in the target area thought the service was not worth having at all.

Because no-one ever got Broadband from the scheme and the minimum speed was a lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

Because no-one ever got Broadband from the scheme and the minimum speed was a lie.

but it says broadband on the tin...

bealtine wrote: »
    but it says broadband on the tin...

And as a result three used the word Broadband on their MBB product for all users and dropped the word Mobile altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Was there much taxpayer money spent on the NBS?

Where did it go? Was it subsidizing 3 tariffs and the satellite subscriptions?

Whilst I appreciate the economic difficulties in getting broadband out to a very low density rural population such as we have, why oh why did they not use more fixed wireless technology? Proven, reliable and actually is broadband.

75 Million Euro
    Partially subsidised Sat subscriptions, but Three often supplied Sat packages below spec to save money. Or Stupid "repeaters" as they had used up allocation of Sat packages.
    Subsidised adding extra base stations. But Three was massively in breach of 3G licence for not installing enough basestations and coverage.

They used ZERO fixed wireless.
    The extra basesations are not dedicated to Data or NBS, but ordinary 3G basestations.

The Mobile tariff to NBS customers only had increased Cap (which reduces speed on Mobile) vs the same non-NBS package.

So only the Satellite users got any benefit. But many had to fight to be on correct package.

No broadband at all was supplied.

The Mobile package never met NBS spec, as mobile can't ever meet a minimum download speed or level of service. Because it's mobile!

Three didn't apply any funds received to Capital Expense of any extra base stations (presumably so they can do what ever they like with them) but to Operating costs. The Sat costs were higher than Three planned, so they lost money on every valid sat install. If the Dept. had done due diligence they would have seen that Three's tender on the Sat side was fantasy.

Both short listed companies never intended to supply Broadband, but rely on Mobile (Eircom via Meteor). Eircom sensibly priced the Satellite option so lost.

Both Meteor and Three needed to roll out more basestations anyway, so could afford to meet the NBS constraints.

It was impossible for any Fixed Wireless solution to meet the NBS constraints:
    1) Subsidy only enough for a Mobile operator who needed to add more base stations anyway to comply with Licence
    2) No regional operators allowed. Only National single supplier. But apart from an already dedicated Eircom allocation there is no National Spectrum for Fixed Wireless
    3) Pathetic amount of additional Fixed wireless spectrum offered

No-one could compete with Three's fantasy price for Satellite, which incredibly was accepted even though it was based on a service that didn't exist (Hylas) and would not have enough Irish Capacity nor would realistically be as cheap as claimed.

The NBS was doomed from the beginning. It was purely a political sop to make out that something was being done. The Dept privately admitted it would never deliver broadband but the Minister Ryan said it was too late to do a new process, it had to go ahead.

There wasn't enough sat capacity for 10% to be via satellite, nor in the end was Three able to supply a proper Mobile service to the 90%.

There was no public publishing of any penalty for not meeting spec.
    There was no publicly transparent audit of performance by Analysys Mason, who have Mobile operators as customers, so you have to ask was there a conflict of interest giving them rather than Comreg the job of compliance testing?

Was there ever proper physical audit of signal levels and speed in NBS areas or just analysis of Three's data?

Why were the "repeaters" allowed at all? They are a totally inappropriate solution for a weak signal area or a house? The proper solution is an outdoor aerial, 3G modem on a Router (with ethernet & WiFi) indoors. But that would allow more than one computer and would not enable profitable voice calls. A repeater requires EACH device to have 3G dongle and allows phone calls.

In practice to meet NBS the usb 3G dongle should not have been allowed at all! Only Routers with ethernet and Wifi (alllowing thus Internet to ANYTHING).

But Three makes no money from 3G data at all, anywhere in Ireland. Only from Voice calls and SMS. Three has not yet made a profit.

As a company only able to sell Mobile Contracts, no Broadband service and all engineering outsourced they should never have had a Tender even accepted!

Also the only consideration given to O2 take over in Ireland by Three was "Competition". No consideration given to ability to run a network, honest Adverts, make profit, do engineering, comply with licence or make sensible infrastructure decisions.

If Comreg had been on the ball, Three should have lost their 3G licence even before the NBS was announced.

But Comreg is only interested much in licence revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Jesus...that sounds criminal. Is it criminal?

Thanks for the post watty.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Absolutely scandalous! It smacks of brown envelopes changing hands once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

my3cents wrote: »

What about people who are still in contract at 25th August??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

exaisle wrote: »
    What about people who are still in contract at 25th August??

Your contract will continue as normal until its end date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Satriale wrote: »
    Your contract will continue as normal until its end date.

You can actually still sign up, they don't want you you realise this though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You can actually still sign up, they don't want you you realise this though

Already did this evening ;).

Advertisement