Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3DS XL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

gamestop.ie have 3DSXL chargers up to preorder for €7.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I preordered on the theory they'd have some deal like 'trade in your 3DS and get the 3DS XL for 99.99' or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

cloud493 wrote: »
    I preordered on the theory they'd have some deal like 'trade in your 3DS and get the 3DS XL for 99.99' or something :pac:

Smyths give €90 cash or €110 credit for a 3DS so at a price of €210 you can get an XL for your 3DS and €100 in there, better still they always have bundle offers cheaper than Gamestop.

Smyths give €90 cash or €110 credit for a 3DS so at a price of €210 you can get an XL for your 3DS and €100 in there, better still they always have bundle offers cheaper than Gamestop.

Wish I'd known that before putting money down at gamestop :mad:

Never mind, here's some amazing shots of it

xl1-1.jpg

xl2-1.jpg

xl3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Those shots do look impressive. I'm pretty tempted at this stage to trade in my 3DS for one if they let you transfer your content over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Since the screen is the same resolution won't the graphics look worse, or is the 3DS's resolution high enough to look good on the bigger screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kinski wrote: »
    Since the screen is the same resolution won't the graphics look worse, or is the 3DS's resolution high enough to look good on the bigger screen?

Thats the big question for me, it does look gorgeous in the pics above though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

First hands-on reports say there isn't the same issue the ds xl had compared to the ds...

http://kotaku.com/5921563/first-3ds-xl-hands+on-previews-report-improved-3d-clear-graphics

Huge screen
    Better viewing angle
    3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
    2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
    Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
    The grip (round corners) fit nicely
    Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
    Unit is lighter than they expected
    There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
    Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can you imagine the size of the thing if they bring out a circle pad pro for it?

angry-business-man-holding-laptop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Can you imagine the size of the thing if they bring out a circle pad pro for it?

angry-business-man-holding-laptop.jpg

Personnelly, I dont care what an XL Circle Pad Pro looks like attached to the 3DSxl, as long as I can play RE:Revelations on that screen!

I would guess they will have to re-design the CPP before they release that, maybe announce it on the next Nintendo Direct or TGS or somethin.

There is totally no rush in getting the XL on the 28th July, I really want one but I am going to be sensible and wait for the colour I want this time round (still holding onto my Aqua Blue tho), could be when NSMB2 comes out, it could be in 6 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

smokingman wrote: »
    First hands-on reports say there isn't the same issue the ds xl had compared to the ds...

http://kotaku.com/5921563/first-3ds-xl-hands+on-previews-report-improved-3d-clear-graphics

Huge screen
    Better viewing angle
    3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
    2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
    Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
    The grip (round corners) fit nicely
    Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
    Unit is lighter than they expected
    There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
    Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

Hmmm that really does look rather peachy, now that I see it in someones hands it doesn't look all that big and the screen looks very impressive.

I've waited this long I might aswell wait a little longer.

I don't think their will be though. Reckon nintendo will phase the CPP out.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I don't think their will be though. Reckon nintendo will phase the CPP out.

I hope your not right about that :(

Love the CPP, it feels so much more comfortable to hold the system for long periods.

Just even a small run of them in xl and I'd be happy just to have it.

I hope your not right about that :(

Love the CPP, it feels so much more comfortable to hold the system for long periods.

Just even a small run of them in xl and I'd be happy just to have it.

They won't bother with it for the larger model IMO; just stick with the regular model if you want to play future games with CCP support (if there are many more!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone get a definitive price on this??

Anyone think I should hold out for the 3ds xl über?? 3ds xl with second analogue :)

3DSXL with second analogue announced! :P

http://andriasang.com/con1pd/3ds_circle_pad_expansion/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Seriously, why don't we just carry a tv around with us and watch that instead? Can't be much less inconvenient than this will be.

ShaneU wrote: »
    3DSXL with second analogue announced! :P

http://andriasang.com/con1pd/3ds_circle_pad_expansion/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Seriously, why don't we just carry a tv around with us and watch that instead? Can't be much less inconvenient than this will be.

YUS!!!!! Wonder if it will be the same just bigger or if it will change!

Here is another link to it
    http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30883

Lefties rejoice! The new Circle Pad Pro is coming this year.
    1.jpg
    To accompany Nintendo's newly designed handheld, a new version of the Circle Pad Pro will be released later this year.

The original device added, on top of some extra weight and mass to the 3DS, a second circle pad for games that required a little extra aiming precision. It also granted left-handed gamers the ability to play Kid Icarus Uprising without conforming to the awkward right-handed control scheme.

As for the new model of the peripheral, no news besides a "2012 release" has been announced, and as of the time of reporting, there's no confirmation that it will be sold outside of Japan. Hopefully we'll have some pictures of the new device soon.

This makes me very happy :D

Happy to be wrong, since it bodes well for the future of the CCP (even if they do seem determined that we shan't have one on the actual console); now make some games that support it Nintendo! But barring a design-masterstroke, the XL is going to be the size of a laptop with that thing on...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Ok the console has everything I want except colour, I managed to wait 7 months for the ice white 3DS. The question is whether or not the white 3DSXL will remain japan only. I would import one right now if I could play my Pal games on it, damn the region lock to hell!

Any word of a region switching hack yet?
    Happy to be wrong, since it bodes well for the future of the CCP (even if they do seem determined that we shan't have one on the actual console); now make some games that support it Nintendo! But barring a design-masterstroke, the XL is going to be the size of a laptop with that thing on...

I don't think Nintendo will ever do that tbh
    I mean their whole philosophy is to make games that can only be experienced using the hardwares unique capabilities. If something needs two sticks, you'll find it on the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

ShaneU wrote: »

We could have a car battery in our backpacks with our Wii U consoles and just use the upad to play our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

/\/ollog wrote: »
    We could have a car battery in our backpacks with our Wii U consoles and just use the upad to play our games.

Given my games time these days, I'm actually looking forward to having a game session without a tv (all the downloaded games from wii shop and my vast wii collection)...it'll effectively be what I really wanted from my 3DS to begin with :)

• Advertisement

jaydoxx wrote: »
    I mean their whole philosophy is to make games that can only be experienced using the hardwares unique capabilities. If something needs two sticks, you'll find it on the Wii U.

True, but there's "needs" and there's "supports." Resident Evil: Rev doesn't need two sliders, but IMO it's better with them; give me the option of controlling the camera or using the second slider to target or whatever, that's all I want to see.

I think the CCP was really just meant for Monster Hunter, though, one of those "big in Japan, studiously ignored everywhere else" franchises.

True, but there's "needs" and there's "supports." Resident Evil: Rev doesn't need two sliders, but IMO it's better with them; give me the option of controlling the camera or using the second slider to target or whatever, that's all I want to see.

I think the CCP was really just meant for Monster Hunter, though, one of those "big in Japan, studiously ignored everywhere else" franchises.

I think it would be nice if nintendo maybe subsidised the developer's programming costs for utilising the CPP as an optional addition to their games, but Nintendo themselves don't really view it as an essential part of the 3DS so I think they're probably doing the opposite tbh:confused:
    I know ace combat got a patch that added CPP support but they only patched the Japanese game for some reason, which sucks cos i would've loved the option to control the camera too:(

If capcom didn't exist, neither would the CPP. Only massive system sellers can afford to use CPP as its primary control method anyway but why would they when there are so many other options available with the hardware? Sure they might not be perfect but no control scheme is. If I was a dev I would want to make a game that cost less to make and could reach the widest possible market(the non-CPPers).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I'd say that any dev at all can pop the needed code to enable the 2nd circle pad.
    All they'd need is the official updated SDK and off they go.
    It can only increase sales and improve review scores.

How big is the new 3d screen anyhow?
    How will it compare to the Vita screen?
    I suppose the issue there will be the lower resolution of the 3ds screen.

Something to address with the next console I suppose.

^^If there's one thing we know about Nintendo fans, it's that optional additions confuse and alienate them so I'm not too sure about that:p

Some devs not using the CPP is for the same reason some devs don't use the eyetoy, kinnect, or move.
    It's not something every player has.

If it's not a competitive game there's no excuse not to have CPP as additions for those who have it as it's 5 seconds extra work (I'd imagine)
    If it's competitive you'd have to do testing on how much of an edge the CPP players have or lose out to those who didn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oooooh!
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/07/02/nintendo-3ds-xl-unboxing

Strange they're not allowed to turn it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Oooooh!
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/07/02/nintendo-3ds-xl-unboxing

Strange they're not allowed to turn it on

Nice little preview! It looks awesome, thinner than I imagined, and while the screens look massive the overall device doesn't look too oversized at all, which is great. Those guys are so cool, I'd love to be friends with them. :) And I love their reaction to the screens turning on at the end. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And I love their reaction to the screens turning on at the end.

Made me wanna punch them. ¬_¬

How will transferring content over work? Can you do that without your original 3DS ('cause if you trade that in, you won't have it anymore)?

• Advertisement

How will transferring content over work? Can you do that without your original 3DS ('cause if you trade that in, you won't have it anymore)?

You put them side by side and go through the menu to transfer stuff.
    Most staff at your local game store would be happy to let you transfer your stuff over when you're trading it in.

Advertisement