Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

racer-x wrote: »
    The issue with the Dovado is that access to the internet is intermittently lost throughout out the day but The blue 3g LED on the modem always stays on. When it drops out I cannot ping any external IP addresses. Access to the Dovado or any other device on my network is always available. TO regain access I either have to wait a few minutes and it comes back, remove and reconnect the modem, or login and press "disconnect" then "connect".

Hi,

Unfortunately, after a couple of weeks using the Dovado, I am having this same issue. Twice now the Internet connection has become available and when I log into the Dovado, it says the 3G modem is disconnected.

If I restart the Dovado through the web interface, the 3G connection comes back and all is well again. However, seeing as this setup is intended for family who are not very computer-literate and I am not around to perform these steps, I need the system to be more stable than this.

Is there any possibility of an option to restart the 3G connection automatically if it becomes unavailable?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

I have a HSDPA modem at home and it always get disconnected by the network.

I am really interested in the Dovado as my Vista ICS setup is flaky.

But its got to be able to connect and re-connect automatically.
    Otherwise I just get cheesed off going up and down the stairs.

Presume it should work fine with Xbox 360 as well wirelessly.

dan

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

Hello all,

In regards to disconnects, the UMR behaves the same way a PC does in regards to 3G connections. It monitors the status of the PPP layer. If it detects that the PPP layer is disconnected, it'll do an auto-reconnect.

This unfortunately, doesn't say much about whether or not the Internet service is up, but the same is experienced in your PC when using a 3G modem. It may show that it's still connected, but you're unable to surf.

In our coming firmware, 2.0 (October), the UMR will be able to keep track of one or several IP addresses out on the internet which it'll ping on a timely basis (you set the frequency), and will auto-reconnect in case the traffic has completely dropped.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

DOVADO wrote: »
    Ned,

Which WLAN encryption are you using? Also, can you email us screenshots of your UMR's configuration to support@dovado.com?

All done Dovado, I hope you can figure something out. The router seems to be worse this week, if I'm in a different room I can't even see the WLan network now, from my Laptop, Desktop and Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

ned78 - Did you try resetting the Router to its factory setting and starting all over again, bit-by-bit ?

• Advertisement

Impressively, Dovado support are online at this hour of the night! They recommended I do a master reset, and run the wizard, which is what I'm just after doing. They also recommended running without encryption, but I'm not about to do that.

Here's hoping the master reset worked! Will update with progress as I have it.

I'd also say you should run without encryption, but just briefly, to ensure that the most basic functionality works (or not)

Just to update, even with encryption off, when I go to the next room, I can't see the router anymore since the update. I can see my neighbours 3 routers (Which are all on much lower channels than mine to keep mine as noise free as possible) which are houses away, but I can't see mine which is only a few feet away.

Stupid question I know - but is the antenna at the back of the router connected correctly ?
    Maybe there's a bad connection there somewhere ?

No such thing as a stupid question :)

I've two antennaes, the OEM 2db, and an aftermarket 7db. Both have the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

Hello,

So far so good with this product. No disconnects in 3d and was able to setup a Client Bridge/Repeater to it (using DD-WRT.com).

However, I've a question about the firewall and QoS:

Is there plans to introduce QoS and Firewall settings?

I'd like to put my VOIP phone on a DMZ, as well define it a higher priority, but I don't see anything in the manual, nor anything in the web interface to do this.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Desmolad

Hi Dovado, I really hope you can help me with this one.
    Last night I tried to connect to the router but my Wireless adapter connected to my PC couldnt see the network.
    No problem I thought I'll just turn it off and back on again. Its worked before.
    No luck, so I tried another 4 or 5 times. On the last attempt I noticed the USB light is no longer lit.
    I have the PWR and WIFI lights lit but not the USB one anymore.
    I am using an E270 on the O2 network and I know the modem is fine because its connected to my laptop now and i'm using it to post this message.

I've also used the reset button a few times.
    No luck there either.

The modem when its connected to the router only flashes twice green every couple of seconds or so like its not registering on the O2 network.

I really hope you can help as I havent a clue what to do next.

Desmolad.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Is this router worth buying?

Seems like some people are having alot of issues with it.

I was going to buy it ...but not sure now...:confused:

Hi Dovado,
    In regards to disconnects, the UMR behaves the same way a PC does in regards to 3G connections. It monitors the status of the PPP layer. If it detects that the PPP layer is disconnected, it'll do an auto-reconnect.

This unfortunately, doesn't say much about whether or not the Internet service is up, but the same is experienced in your PC when using a 3G modem. It may show that it's still connected, but you're unable to surf.

I understand what you're saying here regarding PPP but in my experience, the issue is that the entire modem connection drops and PPP along with it. The modem status page says "disconnected" but the UMR does not seem to attempt to reconnect. Only when I click "reconnect" manually does the connection come back.

This wouldn't matter so much if it were only me using it, but I keep getting phone calls from family members asking why "the Internet is broken".

The firmware 2.0 feature to ping IPs will probably address the above, but is there a simpler fix possible? We just need the UMR to reset the 3G modem after a disconnect...

I agree with the issue of dropping the PPP connection. Last night was infuriating for me. If I used the UMR, I had to manually reconnect the connection every 30 or so seconds. Whereas if I connected the modem directly to one of my machines, it wasn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

MMmmm was thinking of getting this for the parents for Xmas.

I won't be buying until I see these issues are resolved.

Anyone know of an alternative?

Hello all,

When we released the first UMR firmware, it was programmed on the basis that it would auto-reconnect any dropped PPP sessions. Many of you may have noticed that the internet traffic isn't running even though the USB lamp on the UMR is lit, indicating an established PPP session. Sad to say, we have no control over when the operator drops the IP connection, but are taking further steps now to ensure highest possible uptime.

In our coming firmware release, version 2.0, we have added a "Connection Tracker", which will do some of the several things which we aim will add further uptime hours for you.

If you use the tracker, it'll ask you to insert 3 public IP addresses out on the internet. It'll also ask you the time interval you would like the UMR to ping these. A forecasted approximate on the monthly consumption of data for these pings is also available so you get a good idea of how much it'll use per destination IP address.

When you power on the UMR with a working connection, it'll go through the series of IP addresses, and ping them. Naturally, it'll take all 3 IP addresses to time out before the UMR goes into any of the 3 following pre-selected actions:

1) Auto-reconnect.
    2) Auto-reconnect 3 times. If still no reply, perform an auto-restart of the entire UMR.
    3) Automatic failover to the wired WAN port and then back once 3G is up and running again. (You can also use the WAN port as your primary access, and failover to 3G if you like).

So far the test results look very promising and we hope that this will further boost your confidence in our brand.

We aim to have version 2.0 out during this month of October if everything goes according to plan.

Version 2.0 will also have some other new nifty features which may be of benefit to you.

Should you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you

When you power on the UMR with a working connection, it'll go through the series of IP addresses, and ping them. Naturally, it'll take all 3 IP addresses to time out before the UMR goes into any of the 3 following pre-selected actions:

1) Auto-reconnect.
    2) Auto-reconnect 3 times. If still no reply, perform an auto-restart of the entire UMR.
    3) Automatic failover to the wired WAN port and then back once 3G is up and running again. (You can also use the WAN port as your primary access, and failover to 3G if you like).

All good Dovado, but is there any chance that the new firmware can check if the modem is actually powered up? Remember I had the bug where if I power on the UMR, the UMR didn't power up the modem until I powered off the UMR and on again. It would be very cool if it could check the comms status with the modem, and if there is none, cut the 5v power to the USB ports and turn it back on again.

1) Auto-reconnect.

Yep, sounds great, thanks for the update.

I hope this will fix the issue I am having, which is a complete disconnect of the modem (not just the PPP link)

Hi Dovado,

I'm afraid I have a new problem since last night, whereby the wireless network fails to give out a DHCP address (might be the same issue ned78 reported in post #28?). The PCs connected to the wired ports were working perfectly, but my laptop was not. It was able to connect to the wireless network, but it never got an IP and eventually timed out. I restarted the UMR and everything started working.

As before though, this is not something I should have to do and a less technical user is again just going to see "the internet is broken"
    We aim to have version 2.0 out during this month of October if everything goes according to plan.

Version 2.0 will also have some other new nifty features which may be of benefit to you.

Is there a feature planned to allow for some diagnostic information to be captured? Some logging or a dump file or something?

I know it's frustrating for everybody to hear reports like "the wireless isn't working" and it is difficult to fix issues when the only action us users can take is basically to reboot the device.

e.g. last night I could access the device over wired network but there was no way for me to get any potentially helpful information before I reset it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

hazbot wrote: »
    Hi Dovado,

I'm afraid I have a new problem since last night, whereby the wireless network fails to give out a DHCP address (might be the same issue ned78 reported in post #28?). The PCs connected to the wired ports were working perfectly, but my laptop was not. It was able to connect to the wireless network, but it never got an IP and eventually timed out. I restarted the UMR and everything started working.

Have you tried requesting a new lease from the UMR for a connection? You can do that by right-clicking your WLAN icon on your Windows taskbar and select "REPAIR". Alternatively, you can always quickly disable/enable the WLAN on your laptop with the push of a button to issue that new lease.

When I have the same issue Dovado, I do request new leases, but the router was always assigning the incorrect IP address again. The only option was to power off and on again.

Have you tried requesting a new lease from the UMR for a connection? You can do that by right-clicking your WLAN icon on your Windows taskbar and select "REPAIR". Alternatively, you can always quickly disable/enable the WLAN on your laptop with the push of a button to issue that new lease.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Yes I tried renewing the ip many times with no result. I tried disabling/enabling the wireless radio in the laptop, tried "repair" in the network connection properties, tried "net stop dhcp" & "net start dhcp" in a command window. All the usual stuff. The only thing that restored wireless functionality was to reset the UMR.

I don't have any MAC filtering set up in the UMR either so it wasn't that (and that wouldn't explain how it started working after a UMR reset)

Also note that I use my laptop to connect wirelessly to lots of other networks and I haven't had any such issues there.

ned78 wrote: »
    When I have the same issue Dovado, I do request new leases, but the router was always assigning the incorrect IP address again. The only option was to power off and on again.

Hi Ned78, I just noticed, you say you were getting an IP address of "169.x.x.x" ?

I believe that is the auto-generated IP address that Windows assigns to a device after DHCP times out (did it take like 30 seconds?)

It looks like you have the same issue as me...

What are the computer specs you are using?

Also, are you running any encryption protocol on the WLAN in the UMR?

Also, which firmware are you running the UMR with?

Thanks

What are the computer specs you are using?

Apple iPhone, Dell 8600c Laptop, HP Pavillion Laptop, Wii, Xbox360, home built PC with a Netgeat 311 card.
    Also, are you running any encryption protocol on the WLAN in the UMR?

The default one chosen by the UMR wizard, with a 13 character key
    Also, which firmware are you running the UMR with?

Hi,

My laptop is a Dell D620 with the built-in Intel wireless adapter, running the Intel PROSet software 12.0.4.0

The UMR is set to use WPA, non-broadcast SSID. I upgraded to firmware 1.2 a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

hazbot wrote: »
    Hi,

My laptop is a Dell D620 with the built-in Intel wireless adapter, running the Intel PROSet software 12.0.4.0

The UMR is set to use WPA, non-broadcast SSID. I upgraded to firmware 1.2 a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

Though we do not have a DELL, we do have computers with INTEL WLAN in them, so we'll give it a go with a UMR running version 1.2 and compare it to the latest development (2.0) we're busy with. Results will be in most likely after the weekend.

ned78 wrote: »
    Apple iPhone, Dell 8600c Laptop, HP Pavillion Laptop, Wii, Xbox360, home built PC with a Netgeat 311 card.

So which device in specific is it that undergoes this problem?

• Advertisement

Most of them. The Dell and iPhone give the most hassle, but the others do on occasion have issues getting an IP, or even seeing the router though they're 10 feet apart.

I've also noticed that it can take forever to log into the router itself 192.168.0.1 to check the status of the unit.

Advertisement