Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't pay mobile bill

• 13-08-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was just wondering is there anyway of not paying a Vodafone bill that got way out of hand with extra calls last month. I pay it direct debit. What happens if I refuse to pay? They're not offering me anyway out of not paying it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

benfetch wrote: »
    I was just wondering is there anyway of not paying a Vodafone bill that got way out of hand with extra calls last month. I pay it direct debit. What happens if I refuse to pay? They're not offering me anyway out of not paying it.

If you refuse to pay then you're breaking a legally binding contract. I'm sorry, but it's that simple. Can you arrange to pay off a portion of it in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 benfetch

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If you refuse to pay then you're breaking a legally binding contract. I'm sorry, but it's that simple. Can you arrange to pay off a portion of it in advance?

Presume they chase you down in the end. Was a mistake and everything to make so many calls. Ouch is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you cant manage your debts properly stick to prepay in future.

After a while theyll hand it off to a debt collection agency who'll then hound you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

How bad is it and why did it get out of hand?

In some cases where their billing structure is arguably unfair and they know it, it is possible get a deal.

It happened to me once with Meteor when data service was something new. They had no proper way of monitoring your usage real time, no way to block the service once you go over bundle, and their SMS alerts for overspending would only come a few days after the fact leaving you plenty of time to spend even more. At the time going just a few megs over my 250 megs allowance generated a bill of 160 euros. I called them to say it was a joke as there was no way to control usage and you would get instantly charged crazy amounts for going over the bundle. They instantly offered to cut the bill in half, and after a bit more discussion I settled for 20 euros. I'm not that great a negotiator and it was pretty easy - they just knew the situation made them look pretty bad and these 20 euros were still easy money for them.

Advertisement