Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remote 3G Installation

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CDSM101

-=al=- wrote: »
    Never had a problem with the weather once the box is waterproof and can't move... It's on 24/7 and never had issues with the heat or cold... I think the last router I had went awol cause the power supply got wet, which was housed rather lamely on my part separately... But it's all in a new box with the power inside... much better set up.. I'll get a new pic if I can

And yep I run a cable from the router on the roof into the LAN of a TP-Link router and works perfectly. The Huawei router on the roof is set up to 192.168.1.1 as an open network for guests to the house or whatever and the main router at 192.168.1.2 as my own secured network for devices, laptops and pcs etc with static ips

It's Very cheap viable option and easy to set-up for a more consistent 3g setup. I just drilled 2 holes in an airtight box I got for storing rashers or some sort of Tupperware thing Galtee had for Rashers ages ago and works good!

I toyed with the idea of running an external antenna from the roof and keeping the router inside but never got around to it... The Huawei router on the roof is basically a glorified antenna

Got to be carefully with moisture. What might seem fine today or tomorrow may not hold true when it's -5°C. There is going to be moisture in any sealed box. This will soon condense when the temperature drops. This is why manufacturers usually fill outdoor stuff with dry air or leave small drain holes.

Moisture condensing on the PCB inside the modem will wreak havoc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah there's a few mm of space at the bottom around the holes for the cables to get in an out it's slightly raised too, but so far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CDSM101

Whoops! Just realised I gave the wrong link earlier. I meant http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/3g-modem-outdoor-setup/2636620

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

CDSM101 wrote: »
    Got to be carefully with moisture. What might seem fine today or tomorrow may not hold true when it's -5°C. There is going to be moisture in any sealed box. This will soon condense when the temperature drops. This is why manufacturers usually fill outdoor stuff with dry air or leave small drain holes.

Moisture condensing on the PCB inside the modem will wreak havoc!

The lowest the max min thermometer has show here is -14°C but I think a bit of wind chill crept into that reading and had no problem with condensation in a sealed unit.

What catches me out every so often is moisture on the USB connection of the externally mounted dongle, however that has turned out to be due to someone fiddling with it and not sealing it up again. If it happens I just have to replace the 3m USB extension cable I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

Hi All,
    Anyone know the frequency that 3 use on their network. I want to plug a yagi into a router and have various aerials in the workshop in the 2.4 / 5.7Ghz region that I can use.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Far as I know (and I'm open to correction) its on 900/1800 megs

exaisle wrote: »
    Far as I know (and I'm open to correction) its on 900/1800 megs

No, they're the 2G frequencies. 3G providers in Ireland use frequencies around 2.1 GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hs5424

Karsini wrote: »
    No, they're the 2G frequencies. 3G providers in Ireland use frequencies around 2.1 GHz.
    Thanks karsini,
    I will check with comreg to confirm the frequency that's licensed from the local mast.
    If there on 2.1ghz I will need to get my hands on a yagi to cover this part of the spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xzx

Why are some using two routers and not something like in vid there?

That's a perfectly viable option and pretty much what is going on on a smaller simpler scale in the vid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I dont have line of sight to the mast as there is a hill in the way,
    I get about 35% - 45% in signal strength via my router (TL-MR3420) with my huawei E1820 upo against the window.

This is my current speed (off peak)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3043277159

If I applied any of the above solutions(or any other solutions) and improved my signal strength to say about 70-80% would I see a massive improvement in bandwidth? Or is it even possible to improved signal strength without LOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

clansman wrote: »
    I have a question maybe someone can answer. I dont have line of sight to the mast as there is a hill in the way,
    I get about 35% - 45% in signal strength via my router (TL-MR3420) with my huawei E1820 upo against the window.

This is my current speed (off peak)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3043277159

If I applied any of the above solutions(or any other solutions) and improved my signal strength to say about 70-80% would I see a massive improvement in bandwidth? Or is it even possible to improved signal strength without LOS?

About the best you can do is test with the E1820 in a laptop from all the possible locations you could place the router.

tbh I'd be happy with 35% signal strength, there is an advantage in a better signal but I think its marginal and might give you a slight speed improvement when the mast gets congested. On the other hand you might get 35% from one mast and with relocation 50% from a different mast and if the second mast is less congested you might conclude that 50% ss is better than 35% ss when in fact congestion is your biggest problem.

Check out your nearest masts at www.siteviewer.ie and try mdma (only works with dongle directly connected to the computer) to see if you are connecting to different masts from different locations around your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Cheers Class Key,
    I have all ready checked with the siteviewier and IrelandofLine maps and there is only one mast in my area. Also I have the dongle placed at the best location and I am still only getting 35-45%.
    This is my current speed. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3044261243 (peak time)
    At this time its next to impossible to use the net.

I was looking at something like this http://www.stelladoradus.com/product/3g-repeater/ but I dont want to waste €250 and see no improvement.

clansman wrote: »
    Cheers Class Key,
    I have all ready checked with the siteviewier and IrelandofLine maps and there is only one mast in my area. Also I have the dongle placed at the best location and I am still only getting 35-45%.
    This is my current speed. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3044261243 (peak time)
    At this time its next to impossible to use the net.

I was looking at something like this http://www.stelladoradus.com/product/3g-repeater/ but I dont want to waste €250 and see no improvement.

I'd look at another way then. From your speedtest results you are obviously being hit by congestion. So ask yourself what difference a better signal will make? If you check in the talk to 3 forum you'll find users who have line of site to the mast 5 bars signal strength and are still complaining of speeds worse than yours.

I actually guess (only a guess) you'd see some improvement with a decent directional antenna. Your E1820 takes a crc9 connector but I can't remember if you have to crack the dongle apart to get at it. A high gain directional antenna will be a lot cheaper (try fleabay) than a repeater which would be illegal to use anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Hey guys

I have the new 3 dongle (Huawei E5220 i think). Its outside in a plastic box but i connect straight to the laptop. How do i connect to a router? Do i need to buy a specific type of router?

Thanks

Gheadphone wrote: »
    Hey guys

I have the new 3 dongle (Huawei E5220 i think). Its outside in a plastic box but i connect straight to the laptop. How do i connect to a router? Do i need to buy a specific type of router?

Thanks

The TP-Link 3/4G routers are your best bet but you will find very few of the newer dongles listed for any router. Some will work some won't the only way you'll know for sure is to try it either that or wait a 6-12 months maybe more for the manufacturer's to update their compatibility lists, if you are lucky someone else might try and post how they got on. In any case be prepared to update the firmware on the router and make sure you are buying the latest version of the hardware.

Thanks Glass Key.

Hopefully somebody will post their experience.

Thanks Glass Key.

Hopefully somebody will post their experience.

On the other hand the price of the most commonly used TP-Link router the TP-Link TL-MR3420 300Mbps 3G/4G is just over thirty euros delivered on Amazon so not exactly a massive amount to spend and try it for yourself.

You can always try contacting the seller on Amazon and asking if the combo will work together then if it doesn't you can return it.

Which reminds me I must get another one myself (last one got used to patch up a mates 3G setup).

EDIT> don't forget to keep an eye on all the reviews on Amazon for that router (and other routers) so you can see what dongles do and don't work.

Hey Glass key, unfortunately i was incorrect and i have the Huawei E5331, which is even newer. Im going to order the router you suggested (the TP link).

I see that i cant connect an antennae (the E5332 can, but the E5331 doesnt have any connection point). I have the modem outside on the window permanently in a waterproof plastic box, any other tips on improving the signal?

Hey Glass key, unfortunately i was incorrect and i have the Huawei E5331, which is even newer. Im going to order the router you suggested (the TP link).

I see that i cant connect an antennae (the E5332 can, but the E5331 doesnt have any connection point). I have the modem outside on the window permanently in a waterproof plastic box, any other tips on improving the signal?

Nearly all the dongles and MiFi's have an antenna connections but some are on the circuit board so you need to crack the dongle open to get at them :(

• Advertisement

Usually something like this

http://mobilmania.azet.sk/Files/Obrazky/2009/testy/OBR-huaE176/10.jpg

Where you can attach something this

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/1759/j4t3.png

or this

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_48038_1.jpg

-

Huawei make 3g routers that I have found better than dongles for signal but much more $$... I think 3 stock them unlocked still and you just put your sim card in and away you go

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

My three broadband connection is so slow,I have the 5220 wifi device. Is there any way to make the speed faster for as little cost as possible. Will putting it in the attic
    make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭flutered

help please folks, today i attempted to sign up to the rural broadband thingy with three, i got connected to a guy from the indian subcontinent who told be as there is no bank account in the house i could not sign up, i can go down the route of pre paid all i can eat data via a fone, this does not really suit at the moment, i have a e586 modem, if i get this unlocked will it work on this plan, the modem plans are rather expensive which is i am asking the question, i also have a b260a i could get this unlocked if needed, thanks folks.

they might be unlocked already and if they are you can do as you wish with it once you know the network settings

As for better signal at a low cost, it's all about location and signal strength really external antennas are good if they can hook up to a device

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭flutered

i can get 3 bars on the fone and full bars on the modem, if i unlock it and put in my card will i have a clear run, as i am on a pay as you go with all i can eat data it may be ok, i will try to unlock it and report back, thanks folks.

Advertisement