Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snipe and dare I say woodcock?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Don't see much talk or pics of snipe lads are ye not shooting them or not meeting them or both? And anyone come across a woodcock yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Seeing a good few snipe around here. Never really bother shooting many. 4 or 5 a season maybe. Have only 1 woodcock so far, about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

im after shooting 7snipe their in a 2 hour.im seeing a lot in the last week.maybe they will push down your direction with frost.seen no woodcock.yet.but the last to years iv shot them on the first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

meeting lots of snipe out in grassy fields in the last week or so...met one woodcock out in a grassy field last sunday..very tired looking so probably just in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    . Have only 1 woodcock so far, about 2 weeks ago.

Your aware that They're not in season yet.
    1st of November mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Meeting a few snipe here and there, they seem fairly scattered, I'm not shooting yet myself I don't take the gun out until November. Know your seasons lad, Woodcock is 1st of November, tut tut..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Don't see much talk or pics of snipe lads are ye not shooting them or not meeting them or both? And anyone come across a woodcock yet
    I was out yesterday evening for a shot at snipe . seen quite a few. As for wood cock we do have some here all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bennymurphy

was down in a bog yesterday eve saw a good number of snipe a couple of teal came in late is it very early for teal

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

was down in a bog yesterday eve saw a good number of snipe a couple of teal came in late is it very early for teal

No its not early for Teal at all, I've met a good few of them on rivers, numbers good this year. Nothing like flighting Teal at dusk, grease lightening they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Remember me?

Have a few teal got and meeting quiet a few of them ! Did I read someone shot a woodcock out of season oh for f@#$ sake lads

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

met 7 snipe in half hr the lst day around the farm in rushy. boggy ground they seemed lively enough and in good condition seen no woodcock yet they are still just on their way here with the moons id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bennymurphy

nice to see there's a good few around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

Was out with young bitch on the 10th just for walk put up 4 snipe and 1 woodcock thought it was very early for woodcock.. Hope he meant met 1 woodcock and not shot 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

good few snipe around dont really bother with them till about middle of november ,meeting the odd woodcock but be later in the season before they come in numbers .as above cant belive someone has shot a woodcock out of season really need to educate yourself on the seasons this type of thing can f**k it up for others .as for teal always met a good number of teal when out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

We are the same.not bothered with snipe or woodcock till mid november.it does be quiet here with them till near Xmas anyway
    that's when we really start getting mixed bags of game

pal u need to explain yourself here did u just mean that u seen a woodcock. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

snipe49 wrote: »

yes, he meant seeing them, we shall leave it at that and say anyone methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

snipe49 wrote: »

Not him who has to explain. It's the poster below his op.
    I seen one woodcock In September but there is a small number of resident up my way. Have seen loads of snipe.
    But without a dog I'm pi55ing against the wind :(

djflawless wrote: »
    yes, he meant seeing them, we shall leave it at that and say anyone methinks...
    Yes that the way i read it just seen one and no more,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Been meeting a few snipe on my place in the West in recent weeks since the weather changed. However you won't start seeing Woodcock in much numbers till things get colder on the near continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Put the pitch forks away lads & presume he is innocent before the lynching starts. At 1971 I'm guessing the chap is long enough in the tooth to know his seasons. If you add the word 'met' to his sentence it is how I read it. No more than that as I would give the benefit of the doubt.

On topic snipe are in, woodcock not so much yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Lots of resident teal here lad, so are around all year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

jayzuz will ye relax, where did he say he shot a wc!?
    Plenty of snipe about atm but you won't see many woodcock until the second week in november as that is when the moon is full ;)

5 hours on snipe.so their numbers are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Remember me?

allan450 wrote: »
    5 hours on snipe.so their numbers are good.

Good shooting! Spaniel or pointer were they shot over ?

German Pointers mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Meeting countless snipe everyday we go out, no sign of a woodcock yet down here, but then again i am not hunting for them either. :D

Meeting countless snipe everyday we go out, no sign of a woodcock yet down here, but then again i am not hunting for them either. :D

Sure how could u there not in season. Everyone knows that don't they ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Barneyc

Personally I don't shoot woodcock think they are a wonderful bird very scarce around my country anyway.!!

i love shooting them and eating them.nothing like the sound of a woodcock flying out of cover on a nice frosty morning with the dogs just behind it.its the best shooting of all.

• Advertisement

allan450 wrote: »
    i love shooting them and eating them.nothing like the sound of a woodcock flying out of cover on a nice frosty morning with the dogs just behind it.its the best shooting of all.
    Cant beat it. You always need to be ready for one to come flying out.

Advertisement