Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Z Nation TV Show (Syfy)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I like it. It's nowhere near The Walking Dead but it's a lot better than The Last Ship. I'm three episodes into that and it's terrible. Does it get better or should I just give up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I like it. It's nowhere near The Walking Dead but it's a lot better than The Last Ship. I'm three episodes into that and it's terrible. Does it get better or should I just give up now?

Giving up doesn't suit ya, Paddy :D

Giving up isn't an option, if we survive this we can survive anything. :p

I think Doc is my favourite character. Although, they are all growing on me. 10k is an unlikely bad ass.

It people want a really really bad show, check out "town of the living dead" on the same channel (SyFy).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It people want a really really bad show, check out "town of the living dead" on the same channel (SyFy).
    I put that on the other night and instantly turned it off again. Zombie oriented reality TV is a step too far.

• Advertisement

Every stereo type is here, the sniper who doesn't really talk (let me guess he had to kill his family), the chick with the short pants and top, the tough friends who were in the national guard who just decide to bring the survivor to California, the simpleton old redneck who is tagging along, the tough girl who likes hand to hand weapons, the tough guy who likes pistols, the dodgy survivor who wants to bug out etc etc etc. honestly if you gave this board 1 hour we could write a better back story.
    You called it........he had to show mercy to his Dad.

Was avoiding this thread until I had a chance to watch it!

It's spectacularly bad and I love it :D

The effects are terrible and they seems to have stolen the (WD spoiler)
    cannibal story straight from walking dead

Still though, I like a bit of cheese. I found myself grinning like a cheshire cat at the gore, and I'm sure I looked like a mad lady as I was on the rain at the time!

I don't watch much TV, and I'm not sure if I'll be really into watching this along side WD but I'll stick with it for a while anyway!!

"well they're not sharks"

Jaysis!

Just watched episode 5 :P

Caught up with it. Oh dear.

"well they're not sharks"

Jaysis!

Just watched episode 5 :P

Nice reference.
    If you know of The Asylum, the production company behind Z Nation, you probably know them from their schlocky, low budget, intentionally bad movies for the Syfy Channel. And the ne plus ultra of those are the Sharknado films. The Asylum has so far made two movies that found a way to get sharks inside tornadoes and have them attack people.

• Advertisement

Nice reference.

That's what I was laughing at it was mentioned earlier on the thread that it's from the creators of sharknado :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Two bullets one hole. It's so bad it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

How did they see that it went through the same hole!!!!

So awful..cant wait till the next one!!

The one with the religious nuts was alright, my hopes went up after that episode but the last one brought them crashing down again. What was the girlfriend of yerman that died drinking, ribena? She was well able to knock them back.

Everything about it was just beyond stupid.

I'm lovin' it. Great parody show even if it doesn't mean it, I am sure it does though.

I'm lovin' it. Great parody show even if it doesn't mean it, I am sure it does though.
    I'm not loving it but I do like it. I don't think it's meant to be a parody (although their reference to Sharknado was classic). I didn't see the death of Garnett coming. I thought that he was the Rick of the group and would be untouchable. For him to have such an unexpected death was kinda refreshing.

The show is very cheesy and it's obvious they don't have a huge budget but they have covered some of the zombie situations pretty damn well. Their cannibalism episode was excellent. It was beyond gruesome that people were lured in and effectively strung up as kebabs and in the end, the poor feckers didn't get any mercy and were eaten by zombies :eek: The Walking Dead didn't go that far.

The story line with Murphy is very interesting. He is a guy who is supposedly the answer to the apocalypse and unlike Eugene in The Walking Dead, you can see that he really does have some value. I love how they have him turning into a hybrid human/zombie. He knows he is changing and this makes him more powerful than the people he is travelling with but he also knows that he wouldn't survive on his own. Despite the bad writing, it will be interesting to see how this power struggle pans out. Previously Murphy was trading on the fact that his blood had immunity but he was a coward when it came to zombies, whereas now he is in a position to have an effect on zombies.

This show is far better than "The Last Ship". I muddled through to see what happened and couldn't believe that
    it was renewed for a second series :eek: Honestly, I expected this to be wrapped up by the final episode with the Captain saving his Dad and kids and everyone getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just caught up with this show, its not as good as the walking dead but watchable none the less. TWD wins on atmosphere and overall gloom of the situation whereas this show is more like a TV version of a comic with a snappy and slightly tongue in cheek flow to it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

silverharp wrote: »
    Just caught up with this show, its not as good as the walking dead but watchable none the less. TWD wins on atmosphere and overall gloom of the situation whereas this show is more like a TV version of a comic with a snappy and slightly tongue in cheek flow to it.

You really can't compare The Walking Dead to this, if you do that then you're missing the whole point of Z Nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

NUTZZ wrote: »
    You really can't compare The Walking Dead to this, if you do that then you're missing the whole point of Z Nation!

They are different style of shows , I probably don't know what "the point" of either show is, clearly Z Nation is a more stylised type of show and is a bit more "comic book" come to life then TWD is

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Murphy is one cold mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

indeed, that scene hit well above par for the usual standards of the show.

I think the zeds appearances are getting better too. Maybe they are nicking extras from TWD :p

I am quite enjoying the show at the minute.

This show does show signs of a pretty good underlying story. The episode in the camp with the religious nuts and the last episode were pretty good, murphy's developing into a very interesting character.

It's just very poorly carried off at times and I can see a committee type interference with the script calling for ludacris scenes to appease the masses no matter how out of line it is with the story.

I don't know if it's getting better or I'm just more forgiving now that I've watched it more.

I don't think budget is it's problem, what it does it carries off well. I get the feeling the real problem is someone says "wouldn't it be cool if" such and such happened at a board meeting and the writers have to try and jam that scene into an episode regardless of where the script is going.

ep 11
    really hope Addy and Mack are gone from the show now, moany holes.

ep 11
    really hope Addy and Mack are gone from the show now, moany holes.
    I thought they were alright up until the episode where they split from the group and they were having weird dreams. It was a complete waste of an episode and totally ruined Addy's character. Would definitely prefer a Murphy centered episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I thought they were alright up until the episode where they split from the group and they were having weird dreams. It was a complete waste of an episode and totally ruined Addy's character. Would definitely prefer a Murphhy centered episode.

They are flip flopping her motivation. She wanted to go to Cali then she wants to stay with the cult after dragging Mac along. He's a bit stalkery too.

I thought they were alright up until the episode where they split from the group and they were having weird dreams. It was a complete waste of an episode and totally ruined Addy's character. Would definitely prefer a Murphy centered episode.
    I didn't mind that so much, it was a change of pace and dream sequences like that can open up a character, you get to see what's going on in their head other than them being moody.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I didn't mind that so much, it was a change of pace and dream sequences like that can open up a character, you get to see what's going on in their head other than them being moody.
    Dreams can be revealing but that episode was like an unfunny ground hog day. It dragged and didn't add much to the overall story.

It was like a cheap rip off of that Tom Cruise movie, Edge of tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed this episode (12). Didn't miss Mac and Addy at all. Murphy is by far the best thing about this show, both because of his character and how the actor plays the character so well. He has moments of humanity (coming back to save them many times) to complete heartlessness (letting the zombie dad into the apartment to kill his family :eek:).

I can't believe next week is the finale!

Quick question: what happened to the guy who ended up with citizen Z? I wasn't paying close enough attention in the episode where he appeared so can't remember but did he leave or was he killed?

Advertisement