Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch repair Dublin October 2014

• 17-10-2014 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know there are some threads on this but they are a few years old do I'm looking for an up to date answer ; )

Anyways, I'm looking for a place that does watch repairs in Dublin.

The watch is not expensive or fancy so just looking for a basic watch repair shop.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

bedlam wrote: »
    The places listed for Dublin would still be relevant, fast fix having many outlets around the city

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

i would'nt recommend fast-fix (had a bad experience) if you like the watch get it serviced/repaired in dawson jewelers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

i would'nt recommend fast-fix (had a bad experience) if you like the watch get it serviced/repaired in dawson jewelers

its just one of these :

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/DW5600E-1V/

so think fast fix should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

bedlam wrote: »
    and conversely I may be in the minority but would not recommend dawson jewelers for repair work.

You're not alone.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?83590-Am-I-being-unreasonable-EPISODE-TWO-now-added

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Coincidentally as I read this thread.. I needed a couple of links taken from a steel bracelet on a Tag H Twintime, needed to resize it a bit smaller as my girlfriend wants to borrow it, pretty simple job
    Went into FastFix, they said they could do it no problem; quoted a tenner for the job, grand stuff. When I went in with the watch, the nice girl behind the counter said 'hang on its a higher end watch'... she consulted a small computer screen and told me the price was now 25 euro for same job
    I declined, nipped over to Dawson Jewelers, they did it in a few minutes, grand total of bill, 9.50 euro
    I know its not a proper technical repair as such, but the F-Fix quoted price jump for no real reason annoyed me.
    Have no connections to Dawson J by the way, have never had a service or anything done there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

TedR wrote: »
    I know its not a proper technical repair as such, but the F-Fix quoted price jump for no real reason annoyed me.

Could the reason be that it's a higher financial risk to them? (If, for example, they accidentally damaged it while doing the job.)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Well, I suppose so, you could be right, but really, popping a few pins/links out of a pretty standard bracelet is pretty simple
    I should probably know how to do it myself!

The price jump felt like a bit of a rip tbh
    I think they have a fixed pricelist for the jobs that they do, and there isnt any discretion on it

To be fair I have had small things done at FastFix before, battery changes etc, and they were quick and prices were ok

I guess if I had a full service/repair to be done I might not use either of the two options mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

Very interesting. i just recommended off the back of my own experience with DJ but i wouldnt like to steer the op wrong...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I dropped a watch into Dawson a while back - Oris bc3 which had water inside. Sorted for €120. A lot but I was totally dreaming out that the watch was destroyed.

Anyone a recommendation for a standard service on this in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

893bet wrote: »

€160 for an automatic? Is that standard? I read the reviews and they are excellent in fairness

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's actually pretty cheap PF. Try the prices from main dealers of any of the well known names and you may get a shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's actually pretty cheap PF. Try the prices from main dealers of any of the well known names and you may get a shock.

Indeed - I have had 2 Oris watches serviced in the last 12 months. Service + new bracelet clasp was €550 through Oris and took 3 months. Service + main spring replacement was €210 at watchrepairs.ie and took 2 weeks.

Advertisement