Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

BMMachine wrote: »
    your problem with all that is that LoL is the whitewashed game

You see I don't have a problem, you have a problem. This is what we are discussing is it not, your objection to to the depiction of females in an online game.
    this kind of lowbrow objectivization is the standard due to people having well, low standards.

So thanks for informing us of what is lowbrow and what equates to low standards. It's nice we have you here as an authority on art.
    you consider this a "play on traditional fantasy stereotypes" and that right there is the problem. Its not, its really not. you just have that as your level of what to expect

So how is the depiction of both sexes in Lol not a play on traditional fantasy stereotypes (and Anime)? That's a pretty big statement and one I think you will have trouble backing up. Where do you think the designers get their inspiration from? I have read my fair chunk of fantasy over the years, watched Anime and collected comics. I see nothing in LoL that is not recycled from all of those mediums.
    which is fine, if you think that women should be portrayed like that its your business. but don't get angry at people having higher standards and expecting better.

I dont think women should be portrayed in any particular way. I'm happy for women to be depicted in many different ways just as I am with men. I live in a free society and I'm mature enough to realise that freedom is something to be valued and that means accepting that there are many things that I might not find tasteful or appropriate but its my choice whether I expose myself to those things or not. Back to my original point, you dont like it then play another game, stop trying to impose your own contrived moral standards on a video game and trying to make people believe that because Katarina has big tits and a slim waist that that is somehow harmful to society.

yes there is. especially when one sex is objectivised in such an over the top manner for no reason other than to attract a larger (young) male audience. this is probably lost on you though, as like, you have been around for a bit and that seems like a valid enough reason in your mind to dismiss complete gender imbalance and the problems associated with it.

Thats your opinion, its not mine. I dont think there is any problem with the objectification of male or female cartoon characters in a video game. They are not real people, they are fantastical depictions hence the big muscles, big tits and monsters from other dimensions. Your theory as to why the girls are depicted like that is just a theory. I dont hear anybody talking about how they would love to bed Ahri or Kat!!

To your second point, gender imbalance, well you go prove to me that the ladies in LoL contribute to gender imbalance. Are they the reason females get less prison time than men for the same crimes? Are they the reason that women live on average 5-6 years longer than men, are they the reason that womens health issue receive far more public money than men's, are they the reason that men are discriminated against in the family courts, that men get practically no paid paternity leave, that male suicide rates are through the roof in comparison to females, that domestic violence, sexual assault and rape against men is treated as a joke, that men receive no help if they are victims of domestic violence even though meta-studies have shown even distributions of violence amongst men and women. I could go on and on about gender imbalance and happily discuss 3rd wave feminism and all its baggage and nonsense but as I said earlier that is a topic for a different thread and a different forum so go start it and I'll join. This is a discussion forum for the game and we really dont need half baked feminist clap trap telling us what is high brow or low brow or what is morally acceptable or not. Most of us here are adults who can very well make up our own mind about these issues and I certainly dont need someone of your moral persuasion making judgements about what I do or what I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CrillyRules

yes lets all campaign riot for female champions with clothes and average (slightly overweight) body size,if I wanted that I can just look out my window.

Also my gf plays fortune, trist and morg and although being the epowered female that she is still seems to like the artwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

This game is set in Valoran, Runeterra. Perhaps there are no overweight women in Runeterra. Maybe all the women in Runeterra are absolute stunners.

Perhaps all the normal men in Runeterra are fat and short and all the male champions are being sexualised.

Anyone heading to the Worlds Viewing party tomorrow in Dublin?

tempting, but will probably stick to the couch.
    ill be shouting for white :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Playboy wrote: »
    a big pile of not getting it and small mindedness

tbh, theres barely a point worth responding to in your post. its the usual mental gymnastics men do to convince themselves of moral justice. you cant see the wood from the trees and I doubt anything I say will make this happen as you have this whole "Defend the King!" mentality. its nothing against the gameplay of LoL or anything like that, its against the cheap sexualisation and objectivism of women and LoL being a bit of a poster child for that with its unimaginative and lowbrow scope on the female body. As pointed out, there are artists who designed great female characters but hes very much in the minority. I'm sorry your low standards annoy you in so far as anyone with any class should "leave my game alone". just reminds me of rednecks in america when they deal with people from other countries saying their gun laws are crazy "you shouldnt commentate on our country!!!", the subtext being, "get out of here with your facts and well reasoned arguments!" same mentality, different hobbies.

if low standards are your thing, grand. keep tooting on your horn and never expect better. but dont get so defensive when someone suggest it could be better and dont try to drag them down to your level

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

So far i'm enjoying finals, loved the opening ceremony for it too. Won't give any spoilers but its good watching

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Ok this thread has gone a bit off topic and has descending into sniping. If you want to have a discussion about the sexualisation of LoL then start a new thread specifically for that purpose. Any more posts on the matter here will be infracted.

Splinter wrote: »
    So far i'm enjoying finals, loved the opening ceremony for it too. Won't give any spoilers but its good watching

Was a great show, huge crowds. Hopefully it keeps growing here in Europe and we can see a European team in the final next year. Honestly think Fnatic were talented enough to be in the final but they just had a couple of bad breaks and struggled a little with consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just watched the open ceremony now, very nice enjoyed it alot. I just wish the players themselves where more charismatic than a wet brown paper bag. I guess to be an e-sport "athlete" these are the sacrifices that have to be made to be the best. Shame though...

-Edit-
    That presenter/host/announcer though! Korean Bruce Buffer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Was a great show, huge crowds. Hopefully it keeps growing here in Europe and we can see a European team in the final next year. Honestly think Fnatic were talented enough to be in the final but they just had a couple of bad breaks and struggled a little with consistency.

What are you doing !!!1 Hijacking the debate thread on female stereotypes in games !!!....oh wait...this is the LOL thread. Good to be back on topic :D:)

Was at the Finals yesterday, venue and everything was brilliant, some nice free gifts given out by Riot...and for once the closing ceremony was decent.

Thought some form of a comeback might have been on after Game 3...but White are just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I really don't think they are. They may be talented in a "could take a game off anyone on the day" kind of a way but that's not what wins tournaments. It's talent applied in a consistent way is the key. The Koreans put on so much relentless pressure and don't give a team any chance to come back when they're ahead. They're still a head above everyone else and I'm not sure the Europeans are even in the next tier after their showing this year.

As for the finals themselves; the opening ceremony was very impressive as was the general setup of the stadium. The games themselves weren't very exciting though. It was good to see SHRC pull a game back but I never really believed the comeback was on.

Seifer wrote: »
    I really don't think they are. They may be talented in a "could take a game off anyone on the day" kind of a way but that's not what wins tournaments. It's talent applied in a consistent way is the key. The Koreans put on so much relentless pressure and don't give a team any chance to come back when they're ahead. They're still a head above everyone else and I'm not sure the Europeans are even in the next tier after their showing this year.

As for the finals themselves; the opening ceremony was very impressive as was the general setup of the stadium. The games themselves weren't very exciting though. It was good to see OMG pull a game back but I never really believed the comeback was on.

I dont think they were good enough to win but do think that they are as good as OMG or SHRC. I think the Koreans struggled more against them than any other team (notwithstanding the demolition of NWS by OMG)

I dont think they were good enough to win but do think that they are as good as OMG or SHRC. I think the Koreans struggled more against them than any other team (notwithstanding the demolition of NWS by OMG)
    They lost twice to OMG so I think it's a bit insulting they say they are as good as them.
    And they went 2-4 in the group so the results, I think, speak for themselves. Sure they may have been unlucky in one game but as the old cliché goes, "you make your own luck".
    I wish they were on par (or any other European team) as it would make the latter stages of the tournament more interesting when you're watching players you know more about but they're just not.

Seifer wrote: »
    They lost twice to OMG so I think it's a bit insulting they say they are as good as them.
    And they went 2-4 in the group so the results, I think, speak for themselves. Sure they may have been unlucky in one game but as the old cliché goes, "you make your own luck".
    I wish they were on par (or any other European team) as it would make the latter stages of the tournament more interesting when you're watching players you know more about but they're just not.

Well I think they were very unlucky to lose one of those games but yes they were beaten twice. I do think that individually they are just as talented if not more talented than the Chinese teams but lack some of the teamwork and consistency that comes with better coaching and a little more dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

To say Fnatic are as good as SHRC or OMG is a complete insult to OMG or SHRC, Fnatic are so inconsistent, they only good players they have on the team are their bot lane. The rest are terrible nowadays.

I agree 100% with Seifer, it would make it more interesting to see a European team in there but to say they're as good as the others is just wrong. I'd literally only be supporting them for Rekkles, who is rumoured to be leaving but this was "quashed" by Fnatic themselves saying he is contracted into 2015.

-edit- Nobody on Fnatic except their bot lane are as good as the chinese teams, maybe xPeke is as good as corn but that's not saying much considering how weak corn is in comparison to the other mid laners.

n1ck wrote: »
    To say Fnatic are as good as SHRC or OMG is a complete insult to OMG or SHRC, Fnatic are so inconsistent, they only good players they have on the team are their bot lane. The rest are terrible nowadays.

I agree 100% with Seifer, it would make it more interesting to see a European team in there but to say they're as good as the others is just wrong. I'd literally only be supporting them for Rekkles, who is rumoured to be leaving but this was "quashed" by Fnatic themselves saying he is contracted into 2015.

-edit- Nobody on Fnatic except their bot lane are as good as the chinese teams, maybe xPeke is as good as corn but that's not saying much considering how weak corn is in comparison to the other mid laners.

I think you are overreacting saying that the comparison is a complete insult... I explained my reasoning in the last post. Xpeke is still a quality player who was as good if not better than Dade in both games vs SSB. Dade was considered the best player in the world going into the tournament. Rekkles and Yellowstar are a very good botlane and Soaz is a good toplaner if a bit inconsistent. Top laners have struggled in this meta and tournament though with Freddy and Gogoing being the ones that impressed me most. Cyanide is imo the only real weak link in then team and if Fnatic managed to find a quality replacement then you see a much improved team.

I think you are overreacting saying that the comparison is a complete insult... I explained my reasoning in the last post. Xpeke is still a quality player who was as good if not better than Dade in both games vs SSB. Dade was considered the best player in the world going into the tournament. Rekkles and Yellowstar are a very good botlane and Soaz is a good toplaner if a bit inconsistent. Top laners have struggled in this meta and tournament though with Freddy and Gogoing being the ones that impressed me most. Cyanide is imo the only real weak link in then team and if Fnatic managed to find a quality replacement then you see a much improved team.

When was Dade considered the best? Pawn was considered the best because he single handedly beat Faker in lane multiple times.

n1ck wrote: »
    When was Dade considered the best? Pawn was considered the best because he single handedly beat Faker in lane multiple times.

http://na.lolesports.com/articles/top-20-players-worlds-2014

#1 - DADE

Team - Samsung Galaxy Blue
    Region - Korea
    Position - Mid
    Signature Champions

Forget everything you thought you knew about Dade. Forget the feeding on Ryze. Forget his small champion pool. Forget his disgraceful exit out of the Group Stage of Worlds 2013.

Dade is the best player in League of Legends.

After his poor performance at Worlds 2013 and a finalist performance at OGN Winter 2013-14, Samsung traded him to sister team Samsung Blue. Since then, he has been an OGN finalist twice, won another Championship and an MVP as well as an OGN Masters Championship. SK Telecom T1 K’s Faker may be the household name, but it is Dade that is the superior mid laner.

His mechanics have never been better, his champion pool has never been more in the meta, and his chance to win a World Championship has never been higher.

There is a new king of League of Legends - Dade.

That is overhype if ever i've seen it, Gogoing at 17 as well and Pawn isn't even on it yet he single handedly smashed every mid laner in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TheoBane

WinterLAN is on the Front page of League of Legends and also on the client.

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/community/community-events/irelands-biggest-esports-event-almost-here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Someone take some photos and pop them up there please :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Are their any good teams entering the LAN ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone having trouble accessing teambuilder? When i click to join a team, i can not select a champion or role !

Would love to hear how the winterLan is going. Team builder is fine for me.
    Just trying to get used to new rift. Graphics are great but movement feels kinda weird or clunky

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nanaxi

playing LOL for sure... anyone playing in euw can add my id, same as my id here... we have diamond, platinum, gold team mates too welcome on board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Would love to hear how the winterLan is going. Team builder is fine for me.
    Just trying to get used to new rift. Graphics are great but movement feels kinda weird or clunky

Finals of open was emerald dvg vs frequency and in the invitational was Unity and some other team not sure who.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

How bout that new jungle? Alot of junglers having a hard time having the back after 3-4 camps. Where the likes of Aatrox, Fiddle, Warwick and Pantheon have become strong. Pantheon and Warwick are pretty much pick or ban i feel at the moment. As Panth With AS reds and without a leash i cleared Krugs (Smite) and took red straight with a loss of about 5% HP after red. Its pretty insane.

Diana jungle (my guilty pleasure) i feel is weaker. Although on the game i played with her i did a normal S4 clear with smite on blue, which is pointless i feel. Spirit stone could let Diana self sustain in the jungle but with the removal of the passive she kinda needs blue on the 2nd or ever 3rd respawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Warwick is very strong jungle now, you can take AS quints and clear both sides without needing to use a pot which is just so different to how most other junglers are comparing. I cant help but think that Riot really ****ed the jungle up so much now, they keep talking about versatility but now it has had the opposite effect.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Warwick is very strong jungle now, you can take AS quints and clear both sides without needing to use a pot which is just so different to how most other junglers are comparing. I cant help but think that Riot really ****ed the jungle up so much now, they keep talking about versatility but now it has had the opposite effect.
    It's been live for a week? They have the whole of the off-season to tweak it; let's hold off on the dramatics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Lol

Fiddle could do this all day everyday. Ring + 2 mana pots.

Was the jungle ****ed back then?

Advertisement