Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering with Three

• 13-08-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking to cut costs in my monthly budget - ive a three broadband and three handset - i was thinking of using the internet from my handset to replace the three broadband connection as a cost saving measure?

I see that their T&C say tethering isnt allowed or their sim cant be used in a router/dongle - how strict are they with that?

Any insights would be invaluable :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive done it every now and then in a jam, but I suspect you might get a call if your usage was consistently that high(assuming you use 20GB+/mo on your broadband). You're liable to be throttled over 15GB too but they dont seem to do that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ED E wrote: »
    Ive done it every now and then in a jam, but I suspect you might get a call if your usage was consistently that high(assuming you use 20GB+/mo on your broadband). You're liable to be throttled over 15GB too but they dont seem to do that.

One user over on Three boards now reckons he was cut off due to over use, and that it was affecting other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

whiterebel wrote: »
    One user over on Three boards now reckons he was cut off due to over use, and that it was affecting other users.

How do you mean cut off? they cancelled his contract and whacked him with an early termination fee? Any more details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But I don't believe him :D

The story doesn't add up and you can't believe a word that 3 "customer service" tell you.

Story was he had €10 credit left (prepay) but couldn't get connected and got an out of credit message so rang customer service who told him he'd be disconnected temporarily because he was affecting the others customers use of the system.

my3cents wrote: »
    But I don't believe him :D

The story doesn't add up and you can't believe a word that 3 "customer service" tell you.

Story was he had €10 credit left (prepay) but couldn't get connected and got an out of credit message so rang customer service who told him he'd be disconnected temporarily because he was affecting the others customers use of the system.

Cheers for the insight dude :) think i shall go ahead with the broadband removal and use the phone data so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm on three right now and have been enjoying Netflix and YouTube through tethering with no issues.

My SIM-enabled tab provides Internet for my laptop, iPhone and even Chromecast.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm on three right now and have been enjoying Netflix and YouTube through tethering with no issues.

My SIM-enabled tab provides Internet for my laptop, iPhone and even Chromecast.
    Good to know :) take a bit of financial pressure off me knowing i cna use it for all my internet needs as well as a phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

Hi
    I've been away for 2 weeks & went to use the internet as per normal on my Macbook on my return, tethering via the wifi hotspot on my Samsung phone.
    I'm with Three since last Sept (bill pay & all you can eat data) & the customer care ran me through the set up options back then with no problems.

However I couldn't get online the other day despite numerous attempts. I rang the customer care the next day & the woman in a kind of reluctant way brought me through the set up again for tethering. Everything was ticked like before that was supposed to be. When it didn't work she got kind of peeved & said it's illegal to do this.

I told her it wasn't last September & I'm still on the same contract & how come it won't work now & she won't help me?

I don't want to shoot the messenger but it seemed ridiculous. She did the whole "you need to buy our broadband package spiel". No I don't. Just get my tethering working again please. I use it to watch the odd missed program, hardly download central in terms of data.

Anyone in the same boat with any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What does your contract say? From the current Three all you can eat data T&Cs:
    The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering. In the event that we identify that you have breached this condition, Three reserves the right to suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Service at its absolute discretion.

Just because it previously worked doesn't mean you're entitled to support on it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I will check my contract.
    When I switched to Three last September I made it clear I would be tethering from my Macbook & that's why I was going for the particular package & phone that I chose. There was no indication at all that this was not an option.
    It seems odd that what was available legitimately to me then may not be now, when I remain under the same contract.

• Advertisement

@boardsusername firstly ignore anyone that goes on about T&C's it doesn't matter what the T&C's say if it works it works etc.

Secondly can you still get 3G on the phone, is the hotspot option still available and can you connect from the phone to the hotspot (with or without internet).

Yeah, I don't really care about the t&c's. But it doesn't work anymore so that's my main concern.
    Yes I can get the connection set up on my phone as per usual. It just won't connect to my Macbook. The network I set up & named is all there & I use the same password but the wifi (airport) icon doesn't go dark on the Mac, as in active when it should & I get the "cannot connect to the internet" message on both Safari or Firefox.

So if I can understand this right you have the hotspot option on the phone and 3G on the phone but with the hotspot enabled you can't connect the mac to the hotspot?

Three could easily detect when the mac connects to a hotspot and prevent any data being sent to it, but you would have to connect to the hotspot and then try to connect to the internet before they could do that. So far there have been no credible reports of this happening.

From what you have said and my experience of three's network I would suggest that the problem is with the mac, at the very least delete all reference to connecting to this particular wifi connection and try again. An other obvious test is to check you can connect to another unrelated wifi connection and see if anyone else can connect to your hotspot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

my3cents wrote: »
    So if I can understand this right you have the hotspot option on the phone and 3G on the phone but with the hotspot enabled you can't connect the mac to the hotspot?

Three could easily detect when the mac connects to a hotspot and prevent any data being sent to it, but you would have to connect to the hotspot and then try to connect to the internet before they could do that. So far there have been no credible reports of this happening.

From what you have said and my experience of three's network I would suggest that the problem is with the mac, at the very least delete all reference to connecting to this particular wifi connection and try again. An other obvious test is to check you can connect to another unrelated wifi connection and see if anyone else can connect to your hotspot.

O2 have known how to block this for years. Three now own O2. Figure it out. There's no point trying to ignore T&C's, thats what the OP signed up to, so they don't have to help him. Tethering is gone from Three for at least 2 years, if not 3.

I got a friend to look at it & set the "allow all devices" on the handset. Works fine now.

O2 have known how to block this for years. Three now own O2. Figure it out. There's no point trying to ignore T&C's, thats what the OP signed up to, so they don't have to help him. Tethering is gone from Three for at least 2 years, if not 3.

My tethering is not gone & I am on Three. I have been tethering since I signed up with them about 3 years ago. (With help from their own customer care in setting it up. despite forever being quoted about t&c's here.)
    My connection became dramatically slower the day after I got my new phone with 4G set up last week. This is what my query is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Please don't resurrect zombie threads; start a new one instead. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement