Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best SIM Only deals [Updated regularly][Work in progess]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Just to clarify some points:

- Correct, at present, Three do not have a 2G/2.5G network, and therefore use Vodafone as a carrier of their calls and texts when out of range of a Three network. The O2 takeover should fix this issue and remove the theoretical need to rent carrier space from Vodafone. Ultimately, this will come down to business specifics.

- Three's customer service is a bit hit or miss, as you will find with all networks really. Personally, I have never had a major issue with them. Any issues I have had were answered on the phone on the first call. Any subsequent calls were returned as promised and resolved. They also have a very active Boards, Facebook, and Twitter presence, and things get done this way.

Some individuals will return to the default "they are Indian" for their call centre needs. Correct, they are. However, if things are fixed and helpful, who cares where they are from. Many Irish companies use foreign call centres. If you don't like using the call centre, don't. As I stated, you've many different options to get support. However, this shouldn't be a big deal.

In short, your milage may vary, but I have not found to be particularly worse or better than any other network. I have found that their calls are answered far faster than competitors.

I'm not going to make any further remarks about this particular issue as I created this thread and spreadsheet in order to display and discuss prices and bargains, and because there are numerous other threads about these topics should anyone wish to discuss it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the catch with 48, how are they so cheap?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What's the catch with 24, how are they so cheap?

I assume you mean 48 Months?
    They don't have the overheads of the other network.

They have limited staff to pay.
    No network [read cell towers] to manage.
    All customer care is done over the internet do no call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RangeR wrote: »
    I assume you mean 48 Months?
    They don't have the overheads of the other network.

They have limited staff to pay.
    No network [read cell towers] to manage.
    All customer care is done over the internet do no call centre.

Also, if you makes calls abroad regularly or use roaming a lot, you will find they are not great (either expensive, requiring you separate topups, or not offering service at all).

Aside from this and the fact that you have to except to have all customer service interactions to be done online, I don't think there is any catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The BIG BIG BIG catch with 48 and the reason I didnt go with them is if you go outside the "sub" you have to buy addon's these are expensive, you cannot just use credit.

Even the unlimited deal has 60min landline calls... if you use these up and need more its 3 euro for 10minutes...

http://48months.ie/membership-plans#add-ons

Life's too short for this... if they just billed your credit at a rate it would be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

I'm currently with 3 paying €20 p/m for unlimited data, unlimited texts and free weekend calls to any network.

A friend of mine is with Meteor and is paying the same for unlimited data and unlimited calls. The only thing he pays for is texts which he rarely does anyway. I'm seriously considering moving to Meteor to avail of this offer.

It looks like the best value for money at the moment - is there any other plan/network I should consider? Not interested in Tesco or 48.

AG918 wrote: »
    I'm currently with 3 paying €20 p/m for unlimited data, unlimited texts and free weekend calls to any network.

A friend of mine is with Meteor and is paying the same for unlimited data and unlimited calls. The only thing he pays for is texts which he rarely does anyway. I'm seriously considering moving to Meteor to avail of this offer.

It looks like the best value for money at the moment - is there any other plan/network I should consider? Not interested in Tesco or 48.

Are you sure he is getting truly unlimited. Meteor is falsely advertising unlimited for their prepaid plan which is actually 7.5GB (still good value but not unlimited).

I find that O2's "freedom internet" plan (also 7.5GB) works better for me based on my usage (and has slightly better coverage): http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/plans/prepay.php
    But this is because I don't care about unlimited calls and prefer to keep my credit for roaming and international calls. Might be different in your case.

AG918 wrote: »

emobiles 5gig data unlimited calls (mobile and landline) and texts with 4g for 24euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fionny wrote: »
    emobiles 5gig data unlimited calls (mobile and landline) and texts with 4g for 24euro.

You get that tarriff only if you are an Eircom customer.

You get that tarriff only if you are an Eircom customer.

Ya "officially" it is, one can get around that as I and other have done already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ya "officially" it is, one can get around that as I and other have done already.

Can you pm me the workaround, please.

Is 3's Unlimited Data on the sim only deal actually unlimited or what is the fair usage limit? Just wondering for someone who is considering not using their "data plans" and getting the sim only deal and popping it in a modem (I assume this wouldnt be an issue?)

Three have a fair usage policy of 15GB, however it is not limited at this.
    They have the right to theoretically throttle or limit your data at this stage, but they will only do so if you're causing a major impact on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ButtUcks

ButtUcks wrote: »
    I'm tempted to go with 3 for their 4g sim only monthly contract (Ultimate Flex Max) -
    Anyone know what the coverage is like in Skerries, North Dublin??

Right, I bought a PAYG 20e 4g sim earlier in the week & here's the download / upload speeds I got;

Dublin city centre - Parnell Square - (or North County Dublin if you prefer)
    12mb / 3.5 (@ 10.12am)

Skerries Rock, Skerries (Outside my house!!)
    19.10mb / 4.38 (@ 16.58)

Skerries Rock, Skerries (Inside my house!!)
    0.38mb / 0.09 (@ 16.59)

I think the issue is to do with the 4g 800mhz spectrum that 3 doesn't have, yet.

"the lower the number the further it will travel (good for increasing coverage) but the higher the number the faster the speeds it can deliver (good for congested urban environments). As such, those living in rural areas should look for a provider with lots of 800MHz spectrum and those in urban would benefit from a lot of 2600MHz spectrum"

If there is a plus side to my 3 experience it's their customer serivce, in fairness so far they have been very very good - both via boards.ie and their telephone support.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ButtUcks

ButtUcks wrote: »
    I'm tempted to go with 3 for their 4g sim only monthly contract (Ultimate Flex Max) -
    Anyone know what the coverage is like in Skerries, North Dublin??

Right, I bought a PAYG 20e 4g sim earlier in the week & here's the download / upload speeds I got;

Dublin city centre - Parnell Square - (or North Dublin if you prefer)
    12mb / 3.5 (@ 10.12am)

Skerries Rock, Skerries (Outside my house!!)
    19.10mb / 4.38 (@ 16.58)

Skerries Rock, Skerries (Inside my house!!)
    0.38mb / 0.09 (@ 16.59)

I think the issue is to do with the 4g 800mhz spectrum that 3 doesn't have, yet.

"the lower the number the further it will travel (good for increasing coverage) but the higher the number the faster the speeds it can deliver (good for congested urban environments). As such, those living in rural areas should look for a provider with lots of 800MHz spectrum and those in urban would benefit from a lot of 2600MHz spectrum"

If there is a plus side to my 3 experience it's their customer serivce, in fairness so far they have been very very good - both via boards.ie and their telephone support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Can you PM me the workaround please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Could you pm me the work around as well please? I'm looking to move off of O2 at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'll gladly accept a PM about the eircom/emobile workaround also. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,743 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Is 3's Unlimited Data on the sim only deal actually unlimited or what is the fair usage limit? Just wondering for someone who is considering not using their "data plans" and getting the sim only deal and popping it in a modem (I assume this wouldnt be an issue?)

I just got a €20 top-up for my new 3 SIM-only deal.
    I checked my account - 3000 weekend minutes, 3000 texts, blah, blah, wait, wtf is this?
    2TB - that's right, Two Terabytes of data.
    Shome mishtake, shurely?
    <edit>
    I just found out why - admin reasons. I suppose it would be throttled at some point if I went totally mad with it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

That's exactly the point. It's unlimited, but if you act stupid, you're getting throttled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭CGI_3

Fair play to you if you can do this. I've looked into this and can't find the way! Looking forward to a pm too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

CGI_3 wrote: »
    Looking forward to a pm too!
    No sign of a PM so unless someone else knows this workaround.......???

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

I'd be interested to hear about the "workaround", so if anyone knows it I would very much appreciate a PM :-)

el_greco wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear about the "workaround", so if anyone knows it I would very much appreciate a PM :-)

I dont think I should share it any more as I have noticed new wording saying customers will extend their eircom contract by 12months. Even though most of us wont have a contract to extend I would be worried... I myself am concerned...

My broadband is from vodafone and its vodafone broadband only so no contract exists with eircom to extend. Nor did I give any account number.

Any word on when o2's signal will be merged with Three's?

Was offered the unlimited minutes and texts and 5 GB of data for 24 euro from emobile but tbh those unlimited calls are wasted on me as I don't make many calls.

Think il go with 48 months' 10 euro per month deal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Was offered the unlimited minutes and texts and 5 GB of data for 24 euro from emobile but tbh those unlimited calls are wasted on me as I don't make many calls.

Beware the out of bundle situation with 48 is a bit rubbish... you cant just spend credit... you have to "buy" more addons.

I think one reason many people want to get the eMobile plan is to get 4G coverage though. Sadly there is no word of when 48months or other O2 affiliated networks will be able to offer this.

Beware the out of bundle situation with 48 is a bit rubbish... you cant just spend credit... you have to "buy" more addons.

What you mean?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think one reason many people want to get the eMobile plan is to get 4G coverage though. Sadly there is no word of when 48months or other O2 affiliated networks will be able to offer this.

Aye but isn't 4g only available in some of the cities?

Will be at least 5 years I reckon before it comes to mayo!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement