Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse from a Garda member

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It should be just as illegal for a member of the Gardai to use abusive language to a member of the public.
    Is it already or is legislation required before the Dáil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

taytothief wrote: »
    Everyone should respect authority without question, and take whatever abuse they give you.

"Beatings will continue until morale improves"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Sound's like the Garda was "losing it". That type of language is unprofessional, provocative, get's peoples angry, and likely to result in a "public order" type incident. It's simply not good enough to say the Gda was right to chown the poster in that manner for rubbernecking and tell him that he should shut up and take it when there's the time-honoured "keep moving" or "move along, nothing to see here" instruction from a Gda.

Having been in a law and order enforcement body for 22 years, I know how one's patience stretches and it's tempting to give some-one a good "tongue-lashing" for rubbernecking and being too close an observer to an incident-scene, causing a ripple-effect likely to lead to a second crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

aloyisious wrote: »
    Sound's like the Garda was "losing it". That type of language is unprofessional, provocative, get's peoples angry, and likely to result in a "public order" type incident. It's simply not good enough to say the Gda was right to chown the poster in that manner for rubbernecking and tell him that he should shut up and take it when there's the time-honoured "keep moving" or "move along, nothing to see here" instruction from a Gda.

Having been in a law and order enforcement body for 22 years, I know how one's patience stretches and it's tempting to give some-one a good "tongue-lashing" for rubbernecking and being too close an observer to an incident-scene, causing a ripple-effect likely to lead to a second crash.

What do you expect most of them do not know what the word professional means. Just look at the penalty points scandal. I constantly see Gardai driving around using mobile phones and not obeying the rules of the road. Sure most of them don't even have a full licence to drive breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What do you expect most of them do not know what the word professional means. Just look at the penalty points scandal. I constantly see Gardai driving around using mobile phones and not obeying the rules of the road. Sure most of them don't even have a full licence to drive breaking the law.

Do they sell drugs to kids too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They're exempt from the mobile phone whilst driving law

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Something I want to make clear after most of you talking about it like the guards are like god.

It is not called rubbernecking when the car is flipped over on the middle lane of a 3 lane road and you have to drive around it.
    How am I meant to drive around it and not look at it.

People were also driving slow incase they drove over pieces of broken car which could damage theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

As crossy say's. the other side of the coin is that he was driving with due care and attention by keeping an all around view of obstructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I constantly see Gardai driving around using mobile phones and not obeying the rules of the road. Sure most of them don't even have a full licence to drive.

None of which is illegal for a Garda. I'm sure most have a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Rubbernecking? Response sounds just about right to me. Around a year ago I was travelling northbound on the M50 and traffic had ground to a near halt. The stoppage was entirely due to idiots rubbernecking at a an accident on the other carriageway. Multiply the OP by a hundred fold and you get completely unnecessary tailbacks.

Should really be a penalty points issue. Garda was doing his job in an appropriate way. OP should take his bollocking like a man and hopefully learn from it.

• Advertisement

crossy wrote: »
    It is not called rubbernecking when the car is flipped over on the middle lane of a 3 lane road and you have to drive around it.
    How am I meant to drive around it and not look at it.
    While doing this I glanced at the crash but I definitely did not hold up the traffic.
    Hmm, earlier you were only glancing at the crashed car, now you have to look at it in order to drive around it. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

The Garda was wrong because his words were completely inappropriate. Safe driving is being aware of what is happening on the road around you and doesn't necessarily mean rubber necking if you're passing the scene of an RTA.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0006.html

Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in public place.

6.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person in a public place to use or engage in any threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to provoke a breach of the peace or being reckless as to whether a breach of the peace may be occasioned.

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to both.

Zambia wrote: »
    Do they sell drugs to kids too?

Classy response from a Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

No Pants wrote: »
    Hmm, earlier you were only glancing at the crashed car, now you have to look at it in order to drive around it. Which is it?

How could you not look at it if it was in the middle of the road?

RustyNut wrote: »
    None of which is illegal for a Garda. I'm sure most have a licence.

I'm sure they have a licence my point is most do not have a full one.

What the F^^^ are you on about man?

Do you think they have half a licence?

Do you have current figures as to the current licence status of the force personnel?

Barca2014 wrote: »
    How could you not look at it if it was in the middle of the road?
    Maybe you should look at what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If a garda said that to me for any reason, I would certainly be reporting it.
    Even if the driver is in the modified car from hell, he has no reason to behave like that. If there is an issue with the car, deal with it or let it go. Don't abuse the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

And you're basing this on what exactly??! A guard needs a full, clean licence to drive any state vehicle.

Just to point something out as well, the OP states that he stopped to allow someone else move in. He should be following the direction of the Garda controlling traffic, not superseding his directions. He was technically committing a Road Traffic offence.

All said and done though, yes, the Garda should not have resorted to calling the OP a f*cking spa. Not out loud anyway. Even though, deep down, the OP probably knows he is in fact...a spa...

And lastly, that post about all the Gardai queuing up? Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

And you're basing this on what exactly??! A guard needs a full, clean licence to drive any state vehicle.

Just to point something out as well, the OP states that he stopped to allow someone else move in. He should be following the direction of the Garda controlling traffic, not superseding his directions. He was technically committing a Road Traffic offence.

All said and done though, yes, the Garda should not have resorted to calling the OP a f*cking spa. Not out loud anyway. Even though, deep down, the OP probably knows he is in fact...a spa...

There was no Guard directing traffic. This was just a guard standing on the footpath that said it to me as I was passing.
    And Eoin its people like you who lick up to Guards that have them the way they are. Someone needs to stand up to a Guard when the power goes to his head.

I think the fact of the matter is in Ireland that if you give someone a hi-vis jacket the power goes to his head.

• Advertisement

I think the fact of the matter is in Ireland that if you give someone a hi-vis jacket the power goes to his head.
    We're ****ed then, the RSA is giving them out free to pretty much everyone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

There was no Guard directing traffic. This was just a guard standing on the footpath that said it to me as I was passing.
    And Eoin its people like you who lick up to Guards that have them the way they are. Someone needs to stand up to a Guard when the power goes to his head.

Where in that post do I lick up to guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Where in that post do I lick up to guards?

As soon as you gave an opposing view :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This reminds me of when a Guard shouted at my mother for not using her indicators at a roundabout.
    I was a passenger in the car at the time, and she had used her indicators.

I wound down the window and politely told him: "she was using her f++king indicators you c=n+ ...". He shut up, and we drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This reminds me of when a Guard shouted at my mother for not using her indicators at a roundabout.

I wound down the window and politely told him: "she was using her f++king indicators you c=n+ ...". He shut up, and we drove on.

And then you woke up and ate your Cornflakes.

I find a Guard being verbally abused hard to believe. Especially if he was already aggravated at what he perceived to be reckless driving with no indicators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

It reminds me of something that never happened as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Your mother must be so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Burburls

Ireland the cops are afraid to do anything for fear of people who do be making up stories or complaints and they the cops have a lot to lose where as the gobsh1tes don't give a crap.
    Oh ya they are terrified, that's why they kick the ****e out of people when they think no one is looking.

Have a read of this which proves my point yes it an extreme case most of them do drive cars on a daily basis without the proper licence and training.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-in-fatal-crash-didnt-have-a-driving-licence-inquest-told-26582819.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsneyeyqlau/

Here endeth the lesson.

• Advertisement

Have a read of this which proves my point yes it an extreme case most of them do drive cars on a daily basis without the proper licence and training.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garda-in-fatal-crash-didnt-have-a-driving-licence-inquest-told-26582819.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsneyeyqlau/

Here endeth the lesson.

From the article,
    Gda O'Connor told the inquest he was not authorised to drive official garda vehicles yet.
    ]

If a garda decides to drive his own vehicle that proves nothing. Seriously if that is your killer punch you missed.

Advertisement