Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bikes - expansion stalled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Farotz

Google this article appeared on the North County Leader website on the 27th January:

'Councillors Want Free Bike Scheme In North County'

But you are right in saying that nothing has been planned yet:
    'However, the County Council have decided to wait until the free bike scheme that has proven very successful in Dublin City, has rolled out to other cities around the country, before considering a similar scheme for our larger towns, like Balbriggan and Swords'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Farotz wrote: »
    Google this article appeared on the North County Leader website on the 27th January:

'Councillors Want Free Bike Scheme In North County'

But you are right in saying that nothing has been planned yet:
    'However, the County Council have decided to wait until the free bike scheme that has proven very successful in Dublin City, has rolled out to other cities around the country, before considering a similar scheme for our larger towns, like Balbriggan and Swords'.

It's funny how they want them but are then back off from making decisions of new cycle ways, cycle priority etc or any action that might even inconvenience car owners at the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Aard wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out exactly how many bikes are available now, but it's not on the site. They state that there were 550 live in 2011, but there have been many new stations added since then. Anybody know?

Will be 1500 when expansion is done
    http://m.rte.ie/news/touch/2013/0510/391615-dublin-bikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://dublincity.ie/coca-cola-ireland-investment-support-expansion-dublinbikes-scheme

Does this mean that the dublinbikes membership will also work in Cork/Limerick/Galway?

Doubt it you annual subscription goes to cover the cost of the db scheme. How would that be shared?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yes that figure appears on the db website too, but I'm hoping to find out how many bikes are available today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Five Lamps wrote: »
    It's funny how they want them but are then back off from making decisions of new cycle ways, cycle priority etc or any action that might even inconvenience car owners at the slightest.

Sounds a bit like some city councilors. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

There's about four or five new stations under construction in and around Heuston. Does anybody have any idea how long the construction period has been for other new stations? Once these ones come into operation, I can see a huge increase in ridership for Dublin Bikes.

These seem to have been effectively completed from a construction point of view and are sitting idle without bikes for the last couple of weeks. I emailed Dublinbikes regarding when they might open, and got the following reply:

"Thank you for your mail.
    At present we do not have specific dates for the opening of the new stations. As the stations come online our website will be updated with all relevant information.
    Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

dublinbikes team"

Anyone know anything more specific as they when they might open? Can't wait to ditch the bus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

fitzgese wrote: »
    These seem to have been effectively completed from a construction point of view and are sitting idle without bikes for the last couple of weeks. I emailed Dublinbikes regarding when they might open, and got the following reply:

"Thank you for your mail.
    At present we do not have specific dates for the opening of the new stations. As the stations come online our website will be updated with all relevant information.
    Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

dublinbikes team"

Anyone know anything more specific as they when they might open? Can't wait to ditch the bus :D

I am also keeping a close eye on these. I got the exact same response from dublinbikes.

My theory is they want to open them with a big political fanfare, maybe with Enda or the new Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohoe cutting the ribbon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They have 9 days left before they are past the completion deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cerdito wrote: »
    I am also keeping a close eye on these. I got the exact same response from dublinbikes.

My theory is they want to open them with a big political fanfare, maybe with Enda or the new Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohoe cutting the ribbon

If it doesn't happen by the end if July then it might be September as it could be hard to find a politician to cut a red tape in August !

I'd say the Hueston stations are going to be hugely popular on the Dublin Bikes network. Anyone know approx how many bikes between the 5 stations in the vicinity ? 150 or so ? I can see them having teething problems at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

monument wrote: »
    They have 9 days left before they are past the completion deadline.

they haven't even started the Georges Dock station - there's an area currently cordoned off that may be where its going, but no sign of any other work.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If it doesn't happen by the end if July then it might be September as it could be hard to find a politician to cut a red tape in August !

I'd say the Hueston stations are going to be hugely popular on the Dublin Bikes network. Anyone know approx how many bikes between the 5 stations in the vicinity ? 150 or so ? I can see them having teething problems at the beginning.

Even more than that I think. If I remember correctly, there's at least 40 at HSQ, 40+30 across the Bridge where the North Quays start, 30 at the front of Heuston, and two more stations deeper inside Heuston that I haven't seen, I'd say two hundred at least. Having said that, I don't know if many people will bother to walk up to the HSQ station if they're heading into town/Northside.

The HSQ bike station is right beside the Royal Hospital, so I imagine it will be a primarily tourist-used station for IMMA and to walk through towards Kilmainham Gaol.

The HSQ bike station is right beside the Royal Hospital, so I imagine it will be a primarily tourist-used station for IMMA and to walk through towards Kilmainham Gaol.

Or used by HSQ residents ;)

Well yes, obviously. I meant that it probably won't see much Heuston commuter activity.

Well yes, obviously. I meant that it probably won't see much Heuston commuter activity.

No, it probably won't to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

I assume there'll be some sort of effort to ferry bikes from depot/full stations uptown, back down to Heuston?

It'll will be quite a challenge to meet demand...except on rainy mornings when no one will bother their barney cycling

GavMan wrote: »
    I assume there'll be some sort of effort to ferry bikes from depot/full stations uptown, back down to Heuston?

It'll will be quite a challenge to meet demand...except on rainy mornings when no one will bother their barney cycling

They'll probably have an increased number of those vans with the bikes on trailers heading down to top up the stations, but at the same time, one or two commuter trains arriving on a sunny morning could clear them out pretty quick, it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Heuston stations are now open, and active on the DB website map:
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/All-Stations/Station-map.

To give a sense of usage, as of right now, the two stations inside the boundary of the train station have 32 bikes out of 45 in total, and the 3 outside/on Parkgate Street have 9 out of 94 in total.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll take a few weeks for people to properly notice and use the extra capacity I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'd say once commuters are back to work tomorrow and see the Dublin bikes working at Hueston there'll be a quick rush of memberships signing up from non-Dublin addresses. Dublin Bikes from Hueston should turn into a very attractive alternative to taking the Luas to Abbey street, especially if it's not raining. In fact Dublin Bikes is probably the better option of the two especially given using the bikes can get you to within 400m of your final destination whereas for many Abbey Street is not where they want to end up. I'd say demand from Hueston will be heavy, no doubt it'll take the operators a few weeks to work out the patterns of bikes being displaced from the area so there is likely to be at least some teething problems for the first month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a shame there's inadequate separation between bicycles and other traffic in the city. If there were an east west cycling route along the quays safety and modal perception would be drastically improved.

I can see a lot of Heuston commuters using the bikes to get to Dublin 2. The 145, in my experience, just takes too long to get to Leeson Street at that hour. The 25a/b won't get you all the way to Barrow Street. And given the price difference (€20 vs over €600 including tax saver) even if it takes the same length of time or slightly longer, the amount of money saved is huge.

It could even make sense for people who use the Red Line. They can stop buying tickets for Zone 1 and instead hop off at Heuston and continue by bike. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I'm sure it would save money over the year.

In addition, I imagine there will be reasonable off-peak use of the Heuston bikes from the likes of people wanting to do a short tour of the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

I can see a lot of Heuston commuters using the bikes to get to Dublin 2.

The problem with all that and with using Dublin Bikes for commuting is that they're not reliable, in my experience. If you arrive and there are no bikes in the area, something that is very likely at Heuston in the morning, you'll end up getting a tram or bus anyway. If you have to plan for that (with time and money) and if it's any way a frequent occurrence, you'll end up abandoning Dublin Bikes.

Btw I'm a huge fan of DB even before it launched. I just don't think it will work for commuters getting off heavily loaded trains.

Yes you're right about reliability. That said, with spaces for 185 bikes immediately around Heuston, would there be enough to cater for each trainload of potential customers I wonder.

---

Separately, there's been research done on the bikeshare scheme in Washington, DC (or was it New York... I can't remember). Simply, the bikeshare took people off the central, overcrowded sections of the Metro, effectively increasing capacity there. Even though we only have a skeleton of a rapid transit system in Dublin, nonetheless there might be a similar effect here, where Zone 1 of the Red Line gets a bit of relief due to people taking the bikes at Heuston instead of the Luas. More space for people getting on around Smithfield and going to the Docklands.

I can see a lot of Heuston commuters using the bikes to get to Dublin 2. The 145, in my experience, just takes too long to get to Leeson Street at that hour. The 25a/b won't get you all the way to Barrow Street. And given the price difference (€20 vs over €600 including tax saver) even if it takes the same length of time or slightly longer, the amount of money saved is huge.

It could even make sense for people who use the Red Line. They can stop buying tickets for Zone 1 and instead hop off at Heuston and continue by bike. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I'm sure it would save money over the year.

In addition, I imagine there will be reasonable off-peak use of the Heuston bikes from the likes of people wanting to do a short tour of the Phoenix Park.

I'd imagine a Dublin Bike could beat most buses from Hueston to destinations within about 4km. Not by much mind you but still do-able.

Good point on the off peak use around the Phoenix Park. Although they're not the best bike to take on a 12 or 13km spin around the park at €1 an hour they're as cheap as it gets. I could see problems in summer with people having picnics with their Dublin Bikes up in the park from 6-9pm, not worrying about the €3 it might cost them but clogging up use of the bikes for others.

Also I bet the guy who rents bikes to tourists at the entrance to the Park isn't too happy? I know he has much superior bikes but for people just out for a leisurely cycle price is likely to be the deciding factor so I'm guessing he's gonna have to put up with a good few Dublin Bikes cycling past his stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnWyne

Hello, first time poster and really excited by the Dublin Bike expansion. I live in Inchicore and work in town, just got my card and started using the service this week and it's absolutely fantastic. I used to take the bus or else walk/luas/walk but for me it's going to be Dublin Bike all the way now. Fair play to the DCC on this one, they get alot of stick for wasting money etc but this has to be hands down best value per € infrastructure ever!
    BTW, lovely station built outside Kilmainham jail, not open yet, but really well done in limestone and granite, an absolute picture

JohnWyne wrote: »
    Hello, first time poster and really excited by the Dublin Bike expansion. I live in Inchicore and work in town, just got my card and started using the service this week and it's absolutely fantastic. I used to take the bus or else walk/luas/walk but for me it's going to be Dublin Bike all the way now. Fair play to the DCC on this one, they get alot of stick for wasting money etc but this has to be hands down best value per € infrastructure ever!
    BTW, lovely station built outside Kilmainham jail, not open yet, but really well done in limestone and granite, an absolute picture

Yeah it's a fantastic way to get around for short trips. But as others said make sure you always have a back up plan for those times your station is empty or the one you are going to is full up.

Eventually you'll probably like the cycling so much you'll want to get your own bike to cycle door to door home to work. It's nice to have the bus as back up for really rainy days but for a trip like Inchicore to the city centre there's probably no better way to do it than on a bike, it's likely the quickest way and always the cheapest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm an inchicorer two. It is fantastic and the Kilmainham lane-emmet road and kilmainham jail(yet to be finished) are all within a few paces of each other so no worries about no spaces. The bus is still definitely faster, I commute on the 25a/b into town every morning and barely spend 15-20 mins on the bus, I couldn't beat that on bike. Also safety is an issue, there needs to be more bike lanes and better separation from road traffic. Right turning movements can also be quite difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Is kilmainham jail as far as it is going to go?

I would have thought out as far as the black horse in inchicore/ suir road/crumlin hospital/ the irish memorial park would get one or two bike stands. really, there should be stands every few hundred yards along the canals as thats where the easiest cycling and availability of land would be.

are they still only aiming to have them along the quays or is it gonna go out as far as dundrum/glassnevin expansion.

I see the names on the opening stations but being a blow in, i dont know where they are in dublin.

Advertisement