Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Panel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Have to disagree with you on the members being redeployed out of the Airport... It does not take a Garda to do this job.

Agree totally with you on your other point... I also did not see anyone over the festive season other than on Stephens night. I don't think there was one day that I didn't wake up to hear that someone had been killed on our roads.

I also cant see why management don't just come out and say there are not enough resources to police our roads as there were in the past. Instead, you see on the garda website, rte, facebook and other forms of media that they are saying the will be out. Anyone who knows anything about the organisation and how its coping knows its all lies. It makes AGS look bad, as people will just think they are too lazy to leave the station but in fact the resources just aren't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I agree, my point as regards the airport police is more a case that the powers that be are letting on that everything is hunky dory but they're that stuck for a presence that they need to redeploy these members. The gardai in the airport sittin behind the desk checkin passports baffle me and my boyfriend and i always say to each other when going through that they could be utilised better. i totally agree that anybody could do this particular part but if there was an emergency is there anybody in the airport with the appropriate authority to arrest somebody? I'm asking because i'm not sure! I remember when doing my physical the guy next to me was telling me that the physical requirements for airport police were very tough and he didn't pass it, dragging fire hoses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭P.C.Plod

Just incase anyone was worrying about the current review of the Garda Síochána (Admission & Appointments) Regulations 1988 - 2005.

Any changes to the current structure will not affect the current panel. As we have already been through the admissions process.
    This will only be enforced (if approved) for new recruitment campaigns.

Although it will always be good to be a strong swimmer and a good first aider these will 100% not apply to us.

Not much news but at least its something less to worry about. Just keep the heads down and get rid of that Christmas belly.

My first aid cert has expired as of last year, so i'm going to do a defib course and another first aid, is occupational first aid the best option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

C-J wrote: »
    My first aid cert has expired as of last year, so i'm going to do a defib course and another first aid, is occupational first aid the best option?

Defib should be included in any occupational first aid course you do, so you shouldn't need to do 2 courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Occupational first aid is what we studied when I was in the college and that included the defib so I'd imagine that's the standard they're looking for if that helps C-J.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

Does anyone know what kind of swimming cert the new requirements are looking for? As far as im concerned all the swimming certs that are available out there are for children! I can swim but I do not have any certs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

I have swim certs from the national safety council, levels 1,2 & 3, so I presume they will do fine. They're dated 1996 but shur you will never forget how to swim. Even have badges to stitch to my speedos when we start training.

*mental image* :o we have plenty of time to prepare ourselves for that baptism of fire into the world of speedos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

kojack wrote: »
    I have swim certs from the national safety council, levels 1,2 & 3, so I presume they will do fine. They're dated 1996 but shur you will never forget how to swim. Even have badges to stitch to my speedos when we start training.

1996, so i presume you were a child when you got the certs. What are adults supposed to do to get these certs, do the lessons with the kids?:p

• Advertisement

ghost86 wrote: »
    1996, so i presume you were a child when you got the certs. What are adults supposed to do to get these certs, do the lessons with the kids?:p

Yeah I was only 11, if you have a look on www.iws.ie they have a list of courses being run in each county, so there might be something there.

*mental image* :o we have plenty of time to prepare ourselves for that baptism of fire into the world of speedos!!

I'm dreading it, I'l be investing in a 6 month supply of veet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

My first aid cert has expired as of last year,

The cert can expire by a period of either 6 months or 1 year (i'm not sure) and still leave you eligible to re-new the cert with the easy 1 day course as opposed to having to start from scratch with the 3 day course or however long the place takes to give people a cert. All occupational first aid certs have to be renewed every 2 years with a one day re-freshers course. You may still be eligible to re-new the cert the easy way as opposed to having to start from scratch again.

Thought this was for the panel? This thread will go the exact same way as the last one. This topic doesn't concern the panel and should be kept to the proper thread. Last time this happened it spiralled out of control and we lost a good thread.

Unlike most people on here I am not presuming. I am telling you 100% that any changes made to the recruitment process will not apply to the current panel.
    The panel has been put through the public jobs recruitment process and is now finished with public jobs. All changes will be made at application level for the obvious reason that you cant apply unless you have the minimal requirements. We are at the latter end of recruitment and have completed this process. I assure you that the goalposts will not be moved.
    This is from a friend in the Dept of Justice Garda office. Also no talks have taken place nor has it even been mentioned to scrap the panel.
    As for when recruitment will start :o:o:o:o :confused:
    Nobody knows, they are still looking at current numbers and will hopefully decide after the next batch of retirements.

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    I also never said i wanted to go full time did i ? also who is to say if i was on the panel or not, if you where that interested in joining full time, why did yourself and others on the panel not join the reserve force, that way you would have got a look on the inside to see if this is really what you want to do, lots of joined the full time only to discover on a Friday or Saturday night, when a fight breaks out and you are stuck in the middle of it, or worse people spitting blood in your face, getting needle stuck, stabbed, look at the Garda that had a pot of boiling oil poured over him you then discover that this was not for you.

That way you wont be wasting your time and the governments money training you for it then to leave, personally the reserves is the way to go first, then you can decide if its for you or not, i am no way jealous of anyone getting into the full time force, best of luck to anyone that does, just hope its what you want to do.

As for making assumptions on who will get in first, nobody can say for sure what the government will do, they change their minds at the tip of a hat, only they know what is going on and even then do they really !!

Lets put this to bed, I agree it is a good insight into the job but not the be all and end all.
    You have cleary stated on other threads that
    Panel has well gone by the way side now, time frame for that would have well expired by now.
    So i think you best keep to the reserve thread and stay away from posting here as this thread no longer exists just like the panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

P.C.Plod wrote: »
    So i think you best keep to the reserve thread and stay away from posting here as this thread no longer exists just like the panel

Think i am entitled to my opinion on any thread on here, and who are you to tell me where to post and not post, this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Think i am entitled to my opinion on any thread on here, and who are you to tell me where to post and not post, this is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their opinions.

ZoneAlarm infracted and banned for one week for trolling and breaching moderators direction (post 6).

No further comment please.

Thanks

ghost86 wrote: »
    You are right CJ. The government are capable of anything. I am not on the panel but if I was then I would have joined the reserves while waiting since 2008 in order to, as you put it, tick every box possible.
    Thus, I do not understand why the people on the panel who are going into their fourth year of waiting have not joined the reserves. Surely if the panel were called to join tomorrow then would their not be questions asked as to why they did not join the reserves?

I fully agree its great to have everything, (just in case) but my point was that new changes will not affect the current panels situation.
    The recommended requirements also don't make sense,
    Why have an ECDL?
    I work as a network technician with no qualifications(self learned) so can i not use a computer?
    Swimming cert?
    People have a fear of water, should they not be allowed to join and even if you have a cert to say you can swim this does not mean you are a lifeguard.
    OK first aid and driving licence do make sense but the others to me are meaningless.

I think its better to just cover your own ass in the unlikely event that these things are suddenly needed. And there's no harm in doing them anyway, great to have! I've been reading over friends notes from templemore, I know it'll be a new curriculum but it's good to hit the ground running down there. There's also a few fetac night courses that would be great for any prospective garda to do, on the panel or not. I've done a couple on various topics relevant to ags, and am aiming to start a new one on challenging behaviour once i get the funds together. Though I presume the mods on here have already taken that course :p

• Advertisement

C-J can I ask what courses you have done? I might try sign up for one or two, build up a bit of knowledge so i'm not completely clueless when we start.

I've done introduction to counselling and also drug and alcohol addiction. The latter was great, also teaches motivational interviewing and intervention techniques as part of it. The lecturer said its an area that guards need to know more about, 80% of public order offences are caused through alcohol alone so its good knowin the science and therapies behind these things!

Thanks for that, I'l have a look to see if there are courses like that in my area. That last course sounds interesting and something well worth doing.

Try thelearningcurve.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I have moved, edited and deleted off topic posts.

Posts in this thread should be relevant to the thread title as per Forum Charter.

Those of you who feel you can post anything you like, anywhere you like on this forum, should familiarise themselves with the rules of this Forum, and the terms and conditions they agreed to when they signed up to Boards.ie

Consider this a warning.

Back on Topic Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toptrumps

CJ ive had a look at that website, their drug and alcohol addiction program is starting up again soon.
    Ive emailed them about spaces left.
    How did you find this particular one.
    Way back in 08 when we got the great news I figured the wait wont be long enough to do any courses worthwhile etc.
    But it (as we're all painfully aware) just went on and on, so I figure it cant hurt.
    On another note, hows everyone keeping up their fitness during the wait?
    I performed quite well in the pct and loved the push pull, and id actually love to do it all over again to see how id do after getting the head down in the gym the last couple yrs.
    Not looking forward to the running in templemore though lol

Actually forget that, Id RUN to templemore now if we all could get started!!!

toptrumps wrote: »
    CJ ive had a look at that website, their drug and alcohol addiction program is starting up again soon.
    Ive emailed them about spaces left.
    How did you find this particular one.
    Way back in 08 when we got the great news I figured the wait wont be long enough to do any courses worthwhile etc.
    But it (as we're all painfully aware) just went on and on, so I figure it cant hurt.
    On another note, hows everyone keeping up their fitness during the wait?
    I performed quite well in the pct and loved the push pull, and id actually love to do it all over again to see how id do after getting the head down in the gym the last couple yrs.
    Not looking forward to the running in templemore though lol

Actually forget that, Id RUN to templemore now if we all could get started!!!

hi toptrumps, ya I got email today listing all upcoming courses so I might try do another in April! I'd really recommend that course, the most beneficial parts for me were a) learning how to do a brief intervention b) learning the different classifications of drugs and their effects and c) learning the extreme effects on society that drug and alcohol use/abuse have and their draining effect on emergency services. Go for it it'll be a great help to you, it certainly opened my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

Hi Everyone,

2008 seems like so long ago now doesn't it? I remember how excited I had felt as i sat and filled out the online forms, spend hours looking at the pct test on youtube so I would be ready when i got to that stage, after our initial exams getting the results was one of the best and most fulfilling feelings i have ever had, but the nerves hit hard when I went to part 2 the interview and report writing because i knew that if i got past that hurdle i would breeze through the rest.

after I got the results from part 2 it seemed like forever went by until i got the call for my medical i think it was something like 8 months, but after that everyone i spoke to said i would be in before christmas that year, the cold dark november intake and i believed them too, i would have put everything i had on it as i had my medical and pct within a few weeks of one another.

pct passed with flying colors i'm all set for november, I sat into the car and drove back home and broke the news to all my friends and family that i had passed all the required stages to become a garda in training.

2009 turned into 2010, 2010 turned into 2011 and now the new year has brought 2012, and with a new year i am still none the wiser as to where i stand with regards the intake that i passed all requirements for!

As i get a bit older and as the days months and now years slip by wondering where i stand i am concerned with the reality of "am i wasting my time with waiting and should i start to look elsewhere for my career "

has anyone else felt like this, i think the one thing that any of us almost deserve is a bit of acknowledgement to where we stand, as its not a panel that is hanging in the balance it is peoples lives, a lot can happen in 4 years, i would just like to be kept in the loop.

just think that if boards.ie never existed what would we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

Hi Everyone,

2008 seems like so long ago now doesn't it? I remember how excited I had felt as i sat and filled out the online forms, spend hours looking at the pct test on youtube so I would be ready when i got to that stage, after our initial exams getting the results was one of the best and most fulfilling feelings i have ever had, but the nerves hit hard when I went to part 2 the interview and report writing because i knew that if i got past that hurdle i would breeze through the rest.

after I got the results from part 2 it seemed like forever went by until i got the call for my medical i think it was something like 8 months, but after that everyone i spoke to said i would be in before christmas that year, the cold dark november intake and i believed them too, i would have put everything i had on it as i had my medical and pct within a few weeks of one another.

pct passed with flying colors i'm all set for november, I sat into the car and drove back home and broke the news to all my friends and family that i had passed all the required stages to become a garda in training.

2009 turned into 2010, 2010 turned into 2011 and now the new year has brought 2012, and with a new year i am still none the wiser as to where i stand with regards the intake that i passed all requirements for!

As i get a bit older and as the days months and now years slip by wondering where i stand i am concerned with the reality of "am i wasting my time with waiting and should i start to look elsewhere for my career "

has anyone else felt like this, i think the one thing that any of us almost deserve is a bit of acknowledgement to where we stand, as its not a panel that is hanging in the balance it is peoples lives, a lot can happen in 4 years, i would just like to be kept in the loop.

just think that if boards.ie never existed what would we know?

I know how you feel but you should be glad that you got as far as a medical and a pct. I got a letter in September 08 saying that I passed the Interview. Haven't heard anything since then.

But I totally agree when you in regards of an Acknowledgement of some sort. It's a total lack of respect and common courtesy that they don't drop us a letter or an email explaining what the situation is instead of relying on newspapers and Internet forums for all our information.

• Advertisement

Having read reports in the Sunday papers (and all papers lately) and from speaking to family and friends in AGS, the slump in morale that exists in the organisation at the moment is astonishing. All that these members want to do is serve their communities, be seen to be proactive etc but its so hard when they have so little to work with. All agree, both members and civilians, that a fresh intake no matter how small would inject highly enthusiastic, energetic and motivated trainees into the force. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear which is precisely what shatter is doing, and shame on myself and others for believing his promises.

Advertisement