Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Propaganda Still Exists

Options
  • 14-10-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

http://vimeo.com/29280708

Interesting video how photographers for the media make drama from nothing. Very interesting point at the end where he would like to see how this is effected in african and arab countries during rebellions.

For people who cant be bothered to watch the video. Basically its a photographer taking photo's of photographers themselves during "riots" in palestine. They bring in actors to create dramatic scenes to sell photos to the western world media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

no **** - try watching RT sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

When did people start thinking propaganda had stopped :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

It's called Public Relations. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

whubee wrote: »
    no **** - try watching RT sometime

RT is the same. All media is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sonics2k wrote: »
    When did people thinking propaganda had stopped :confused:

February 18th, 1997.

There was a public information film about it on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

February 18th, 1997.

There was government sponsored film about it.

Knew i shouldnt have posted this in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

February 18th, 1997.

There was a public information film about it on the telly.

Ah I was only 13 then, I was busy watching something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

whubee wrote: »
    no **** - try watching RTÉ sometime

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Louis Theroux's latest doc was also on that bridge area. I reckon it's just a theme park for 'journalists'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Sky news , BBC news 24, CNN, etc etc etc & every published 'news'paper in circulation.

Turn off your TV , newspapers aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Op did you do some research on this from countries world wide or just post some one sided video you found.?

They all do it and some of history is based on propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My parents told me there was a man in the sky who loved me but was watching me 24x7x365 to make sure I didn't touch my pee-pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I'd like to take a propa ganda at your ma's jugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Every single side in every single conflict uses propaganda.

Things like the link in the OP don't even vaguely surprise me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Half of what you see and none of what you read.

Beyond simple propaganda, if you ever read a piece about Ireland or another topic you're knowledgable on in most major media, there are almost always mistakes.

Beyond simple propaganda, if you ever read a piece about Ireland or another topic you're knowledgable on in most major media, there are almost always mistakes.

I absolutely agree with this. Numerous times i've been reading things about topics i'm very familiar with in "non-native/industry" publications and i've said aloud, to myself, "Well, that's not right :mad:".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

an unnamed source equals lies made up the journalist in many cases

As we saw when the Amanda Knox verdict broke the Daily Mail put up an article with quotes from the prosecutor welcoming the guilty verdict.
    Of course the verdict was the opposite so the quote was made up, owned :pac:
    Well that's more incompetence then propaganda

This was filmed by an Irish crew, well done to them
    You can edit and film a story to show what you want to show and this is demonstrated

You will see the State media with troops on a bridge and they are monitoring an angry crowd below.
    But zoom out and check from a different angle and there is no crowd.
    Anything can be manipulated

edit, I don't where that is in the program, it's a few years since I've seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

The news is a bunch of half truths or full blown lies mixed along with the so called truth. Its all crap. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to open their eyes more.

Its an art form. To spinning something, to blowing something out of proportion, to even flat out lying. They're masters of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Media objectivity is probably one of the greatest propaganda spins of them all.

CoolHat wrote: »
    The news is a bunch of half truths or full blown lies mixed along with the so called truth. Its all crap. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to open their eyes more.

Its an art form. To spinning something, to blowing something out of proportion, to even flat out lying. They're masters of it.

It's not just the news though. Protest/lobbying groups/terrorists/governments/any-****ing-body will do exactly the same things as well.

The best way to get someone on you side or at least make them somewhat sympathetic to your point of view is to lie to them in a manner that speaks to them and their concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Propaganda exists on both sides of the fence and both sides lie to get people on their side.

Sickens me when I hear defence of both sides with the likes of "Well, stretching the truth to get people to fight for the side that's correct is worthwhile in the long run!"

No, it's not. It makes you no less of a lying scumbag than the people you're supposedly fighting against and utterly ruins the point you're trying to portray. Lying to get people to back you up is childish and manipulative.

My Facebook wall is full to the brim with this sort of random protest / petition nonsense from people who don't seem to possess the capabilities to double-check, nay, treble-check sources.

When you have someone trying to convince you that flatscreen monitors are part of a conspiracy from capitialist pigs, serve no function in IT business and are worse than "those older fatter ones" because it said so in videos like The Story Of Stuff then you know when someone has been suckered in and are beyond reasoning.

Advertisement