Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

All I can say is that he has the talent and the personality/determination. After that it's pretty much luck of the draw, particularly at Premiership level.

I'd really love to see him do well but personally I'm surprised that he chose Hull over Brighton. Having said that, I was surprised to discover during the week that since the Premiership started only 6% of transfers into that league have come from Championship sides. Strikes me as being quite low. Given that fact, he's now in a place where he's probably one of 20 or so players (and a versatile one at that) in a position to create a direct impression on a Premiership manager. Had he signed for Brighton then he'd be one player amongst 20 or so teams trying to create the same impression. Easy to get lost in the throng, at least now he's in a place where he may get a direct break into Hulls squad. It'll have to be a wait and see game.

Regarding his talent, yes, he has it. He's determined, skillful and focused. He'll never do any fancy tricks but neither will he let you down. He's calm but determined on the pitch and is quite a direct style player. Once he made the step up to the Senior team his touch of class was fairly plain to see and his 'promotion' was practically seamless. For a young lad he's head and shoulders above most of his peers in the league. Just like Kevin Doyle did, he just stands out. Reminds me in a way of Denis Irwin - no fuss, no fancy stuff. But bigger and faster!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Also if he impresses Steve Bruce, he could have a long PL career. He tends to trust certain players and take them with him. Just look at Meyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

For me Coleman was more of a rough diamond when he went over than Lenihan is now. In saying that I think Coleman had more potential for improvement.

As it is Lenihan is a good athlete, has a good attitude and is good footballer. I'm sure he will bulk up a lot in the next couple of seasons and we'll see if he is good enough.

Even if he can forge a career in the Championship he will be doing very well for himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get the fúck in!!!!!
    There is no better way to beat that shower then an injury time goal........in front of their fans........by a former player.
    Take a bow big Dan!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lovely stuff.

We were poor though tonight. In saying that better team won.

• Advertisement

Can't beat last minute winners

Murray was out most composed player all night as well.

Amazing that we are in a title race because I'm sorry to say that was very poor stuff again tonight. Same ball all ****ing night with no variation. Free kicks in the middle of the field are now considered setpiece deliveries.

I don't know what they are doing on the bench but the Danny Morrissey substitution was a total **** up.

1. He hadn't warmed up to go on
    2. it takes him 3/4 minutes to get his boots on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't know what they are doing on the bench but the Danny Morrissey substitution was a total **** up.

1. He hadn't warmed up to go on
    2. it takes him 3/4 minutes to get his boots on.

That was a joke. Pathetic in fact.

We are pretty one dimensional but we are still hanging in near the top. At this stage of the season, I'll take it.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That was a joke. Pathetic in fact.

We are pretty one dimensional but we are still hanging in near the top. At this stage of the season, I'll take it.

Gan dabht.

http://youtu.be/XPLYiZLs5ok

video of the goal. I went a little bit mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Gutted I missed tonight!!woulda been sitting Begind the goal n all!!! It where we sat all season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Fantastic result last night. What a feeling when Murray's goal went in. Another jumping like a lunatic and hugging complete strangers moment. We've had a quite a few of them this year. If nothing else, this season will have been fantastic for the pure drama it's created. Relatively lower expectations at the start, few decent results, cautious optimism, brought back down to earth, get back into it, think we're gone, only to stay in it yet again. It really is a rollercoaster and we have more to look forward to.

People say that we hoof the ball for 90 minutes, but Gearóid and Healy are both having fantastic seasons. Buckley is doing pretty well, too, bar a poor run the last few weeks. If we only ever hoofed it, then these lads in the middle would never get any of the ball, it'd be flying over their heads. Last night, whilst we didn't create a hatful of clear cut chances, we had a lot of the ball, played patiently, built slowly from the back, played it down the wings, as well as playing it long. And we did very well to limit the amount of ball that Rovers had. We play a good mix of football and I think that's a good way to play.

We should have more than a thousand at Limerick away in a fortnight. It'll be like Waterford in the mid-00s. Gutted I'll be missing it, but another three points would ease the pain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

What a great result. Went from having our second place come under threat to being back in the hunt for the title in a matter of seconds!!

I thought it was a relatively pleasing performance as well (apart form the referee of course!). I don't think there was the usual amount of hoof ball tactics as there were the last few games, particularly against Bray. Yes, we did play the long ball on occasions but it's fine to mix things up too.

We need to back up that excellent result though with a win in Thomond Park. It's on at half five on the Sunday (21st) isn't it? I might just head up to that one myself. Sure, isn't Limerick just up the road really!! :D:D

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    We should have more than a thousand at Limerick away in a fortnight. It'll be like Waterford in the mid-00s. Gutted I'll be missing it, but another three points would ease the pain.

I remember going down to Waterford at Christmas one year, great travelling crowd, we jumped around for 90 mins.....it was freezing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

nnnnnooooooooooo omg

I'd take Kabia back first!!

Noel Hartigan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Huge huge huge game on Sunday in Limerick. Really need to keep it to those three points on Dundalk, I really feel anything other than a win and its over.

The ruggers are playing there tonight so the pitch wont be in great nick, but there should be upwards of 700 City fans there so hopefully the atmosphere will be great, upto us to give the lads a lift, it does make a difference.

Theres numerous buses going so if you're interested give me a PM and I can point you in the right direction, theres drinking and non-drinking buses alike so whatever suits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Pitch is in great condition

Good win away to Limerick. Badly needed 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great win.

Delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was a big win.

I'll happily take us grinding out 1-0 wins for the next five games.

Still need Dundalk to slip up though.

Will they?

Roar wrote: »
    That was a big win.

I'll happily take us grinding out 1-0 wins for the next five games.

Still need Dundalk to slip up though.

Will they?

I dont think they will IMO but dont let that make it a disappointing season for Cork City. We've come so far in such a short space of time, its a minor miracle. Europe was always the aim for this season, and I think we're pretty much guaranteed that at this stage, bonus being that we are still in with a shout of winning the league. Credit has to go to the players and staff, I've been a bit critical of the football at times this year but these lads just dont give up, especially over the last few weeks with all the late goals.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If city finish 2nd is the Europa league qualifiers they get into?

If city finish 2nd is the Europa league qualifiers they get into?

Yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

dennehy.jpg

I genuinely don't think I can handle two more of those type of endings at the Cross! It's fairly ridiculous as you're just asking for trouble. We were lucky in the end to come away with three points.

Still though, an excellent win, and after playing some superb stuff at times. It wasn't entirely a long ball like earlier on in the season.

That first half though, apart from the first 15 minutes about, was pretty forgettable from a Cork City perspective.

All in all though, it's all about grinding out the result from here on in. We can't afford to drop any points.

We win games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Great result!get the bus's ready were all going too Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The game was crying out for Rob Lehane to come on and run at the Sligo defence. It was backs to the wall stuff for the last 20 minutes and it shouldn't have been. Seemed we had a flat back 8 by the end. Still though, all three points. Even if I nearly had a banger by the end of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Rorzz

City were so wasteful last Friday against Sligo, it was incredibly frustrating in the first half to see how they would continuously throw away possession with long balls to a lone striker, when it obviously was not working. We looked pretty good in the 2nd half on the wings, but the game should have been wrapped up well before Sligo got the penalty.

There's no excuse for the massive difference in quality between the two halves, if they want to make this our best season in years, the full 90 minutes need to be played with the same high octane.

Looking forward to Friday against Drogs, but am still not overly confident that we will pick up where we left off last week.

Advertisement