Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2012 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

I don't like to laugh at an injury but seeing a headline read:

Yankee's Rivera injures knee shagging flies

made me laugh inside. I know it's an American term but it still brought out the immature side of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't like to laugh at an injury but seeing a headline read:

Yankee's Rivera injures knee shagging flies

made me laugh inside. I know it's an American term but it still brought out the immature side of me!

That's him probably done. Big blow for the Yankees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

That's him probably done. Big blow for the Yankees.
    For this season yes as his ACL is torn. Cant imagine him wanting to go out like this so we might see him back next season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Devastated for Mariano. You might hate the Yankees, but I don't know how you could dislike that man. I have major respect for him. I really hope that, like Coeus said, he will rethink his decision to retire at the end of this season after that.

No way Mo retires like this. Just not in his make up. Dude is a winner, he will be back in 2013.

Edit:- Just tweeted this:

Mariano Rivera ‏ @MarianoRivera
    Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok. I will be back.

• Advertisement

Just saw this on Twitter

"Mo hurt shagging flies. Big trade & Pineda gets hurt. Joba hurt on trampoline. It would be open season if it was the Mets"

Mariano Rivera ‏ @MarianoRivera
    Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support. I will be ok. I will be back.
    Good to hear he is gonna back. I think if he has the surgery within a month (they have to wait for the swelling to go down), he can be ready for next seasons spring training if his rehab goes well...

He should take some encouragement from Jaime Moyer's comeback. The guy blew his elbow out during the 2010 off season, had Tommy John surgery so missed last season but made it back this season as a starting pitcher at the tender age of 49...

Pujols has just hit his first homer of the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

about ****ing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

i feel like i've been watching this red sox game forever

• Advertisement

Position players now pitching in Fenway. Ridiculous. Over 6hrs now...I'm so tired. Beginning to not care who wins. Coin flip anyone?

8-10 wrote: »
    Position players now pitching in Fenway. Ridiculous. Over 6hrs now...I'm so tired. Beginning to not care who wins. Coin flip anyone?
    Yea, you know your in a long game when position players are drafted in to pitch...

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea, you know your in a long game when position players are drafted in to pitch...

Darnell McDonald got hit for a 3-run homer, Chris Davis closes it out for the O's. Nobody seemed to care, they swept the Red Sox at Fenway and just seemed glad that it's over!

Interestingly McDonald argued with the home plate umpire early in the game when at bat...then later on when he was facing his first batter as a pitcher, the same umpire gave a borderline call against him. I guess it goes both ways so be careful who you argue with!

Bryce Harper has been promoted by the Nats. I thought they'd wait until May but I guess the injuries have dictated. He makes his debut tommorrow...
    Got plunked for the first time in last nights game. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to let him know he is in the big leagues!

Oh and the injury list continues to grow for the Nats, Werth broke his wrist trying to make a sliding catch. I think that guarantees that Harper will not be demoted...

Got plunked for the first time in last nights game. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to let him know he is in the big leagues!

Oh and the injury list continues to grow for the Nats, Werth broke his wrist trying to make a sliding catch. I think that guarantees that Harper will not be demoted...

Plenty going on in that game. Nice to see him steal home to get his own back on Hammels. And good to see Zimmerman get Hammels back on his first turn at bat. Strange seeing Hammels coming out and saying he deliberately hit him too. Will he get a suspension for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Plenty going on in that game. Nice to see him steal home to get his own back on Hammels. And good to see Zimmerman get Hammels back on his first turn at bat. Strange seeing Hammels coming out and saying he deliberately hit him too. Will he get a suspension for that?

Suspension? He should get a medal ;)

Meh. This is the only suspension Philadelphians care about right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px7X8lQ7azY. Baseball season hasn't started yet in that city. Off-topic but great hit!

Really looking forward to the Rangers Angels series this weekend and especially Yu Darish going against CJ Wilson tonight. It's on a bit late so will watch tmw but I can't wait to see Josh Hamilton in the form he's in going against Wilson and Darvish against Pujols

EDIT - Well that was a bit of a letdown. Game basically over after the 1st

Did anyone see Brett Lawrie hitting the Ump with his helmet last night (via a deflection off the ground)? It's one of the first times I've thought to myself "wow, that's really really low" when watching baseball. Then the Ump was hit by a drink from the crowd. It's like something you would see at a GAA match.

Also, pretty interesting to see the face off between Collins and Wright after Wright was removed to stop him being plunked.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Brett Lawrie hitting the Ump with his helmet last night (via a deflection off the ground)? It's one of the first times I've thought to myself "wow, that's really really low" when watching baseball. Then the Ump was hit by a drink from the crowd. It's like something you would see at a GAA match.

Also, pretty interesting to see the face off between Collins and Wright after Wright was removed to stop him being plunked.

Don't forget Strasburg having something hot going on in his 'sensitive area'. Definitely an interesting day yesterday.

Re the Wright/Collins thing, I've probably said it before but there's a great book called the Baseball Codes by Jason Turbo and Michale Duca that's goes into the unwritten rules and etiquette in baseball and explains when and why people are thrown at and what you are/aren't allowed do. It's well worth a read.

How far off home plate was that strike 3 to Lawrie by the way? That was definitely only called because he was half way down to first on the previous pitch. Just announced that he's got 4 games which is less than I thought he'd get

• Advertisement

Two bad calls by the ump for sure but we see terrible calls everyday and players for the most part manage to keep their cool. And they're appealing! Ridiculous.

Nearly seen my first No-no live last night, but it wasn't to be. Verlander let a hit with just two outs to go.

Andy Pettitte for the Yankees was really sharp last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Seattle Mariners are doing a little better this year.

I'm almost too afraid to post.

:eek:

InTheTrees wrote: »

We weren't looking too bad around this time last year either and then the wheels fell off :rolleyes:
    But at least they're showing lots of promise. Good win last night, getting to the Rangers and Darvish. Also loved Felix's exchange with Beltre

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21653609&topic_id=&c_id=sea&v=3&tcid=tw_video_21653609

Yup. I'm still not giving them my full attention. We havent been to a game yet this year either.

Too many years of turning on the TV night after night to see them losing.

InTheTrees wrote: »

You've probably just cursed them so.....!!!!

You've probably just cursed them so.....!!!!

I think thats possible...

I posted here in baseball about two years ago and the season just went downhill from there.

Except last year I was apathetic and they still sucked.

:o

I've been to 16 MLB games and 1 minor league game in my time yet never caught a ball. I even went in to batting practice a couple of times and still nothing (thought it would be a bid sad looking if an adult starting knocking kids out of the way to get a ball).

Then this guy comes along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afo7jxw7I3g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He needs to enter the lottery!

• Advertisement

Tonight the Red Sox finally get past the .500 mark!

Bobby V needs to be fired ASAP

clip0006.gif.opt_medium.gif

Advertisement