Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share a tear, [and back up your stuff@!!]

• 24-03-2012 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,596 ✭✭✭✭

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/change-in-t-mobile-plan-deletes-deceased-daughters-last-voicemail-to-parents.html
    The parents of a teen girl who died last summer had been hoping to hold on to the last voicemail she recorded before losing her battle with cancer. Unfortunately, when T-Mobile pitched its voicemail-to-text service to them, no one mentioned that it would delete their late daughter's message.
    "When I had bad days I would listen to her," the dad tells KOMO 4 News in Seattle. "She said 'Daddy I love you and I miss you.' And I don't have that no more."
    T-Mobile has apologized to the family and issued the following statement:

T-Mobile deeply regrets the sorrow the Butler family is experiencing. When saving voice mail messages long-term, customers receive an alert and are prompted to re-save messages that they'd like to keep. Unfortunately, when the voicemail-to-text feature was added, which has a shorter window for saving messages, the voicemail messages were deleted. We sincerely apologize the Butlers were not adequately made aware of this possibility and are working internally to assure this information is clearly communicated to customers in the future.”
    The dad says he's hired a lawyer to help him determine if T-Mobile still has a copy of the voicemail somewhere in an archive. [More..]
    :(

Like seriously, this is one of those rare tearjerk moments for me. That fcuking sucks for those people.

Reminder to everyone reading, if you have something precious, make sure to get a backup copy made of it. Home movies, photographs, personal letters, etc. the kind of things that you can't replace if they get destroyed, if your house catches fire, or if your computer crashes, etc.

Reminds me of my mom, she's had a DVR recording of when my brother was interviewed on local news 5 years ago. She's going to eventually be forced into a firmware update that will wipe that out but she hasn't backed it up yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

No words. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's very sad.

Weirdly, it reminded me of Jesse in Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

That's sad.

I believe the rapper, Juvenile, had some very interesting things to say about this very subject in his singular composition Back That Thang Up:

Girl, you looks good, won't you back that thang up?
    You's a big fine woman, won't you back that thang up?
    Call me Big Daddy when you back that thang up.
    Ho, who is you playin' wit? Back that thang up.

Powerful and prescient stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I really hope the mobile operator can find the voicemail somewhere. That's just awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's very sad.

So true Marston :pac:

Seriously though, sickner for the father. Hope they find it somehow for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

The cynical bitch in me smells compo whilst I shed a tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Sweet sufferin jesus,are we depending on a firmware update to remember our loved ones.
    Surely OP has enough technichal savvy to back it up even remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

That's just awful, I hope they somehow recover the message :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Maybe they will go all ****ing zen or something and **** and embrace the deletion as part of the whole destruction that's necessary for stuff to move on and crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,596 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ Sounds like Taoism, sure.
    Sweet sufferin jesus,are we depending on a firmware update to remember our loved ones.
    Surely OP has enough technichal savvy to back it up even remotely.
    There were a lot such comments in the article link "Oh they should have clearly known how to backup the kjesbngkjvbsdlhn" But seriously when you break it down, it's not common sense. It just aint. I work in retail. I get to see what "common sense" is. And by that, I mean the mean average commonality of sense.

Backing stuff up just isn't quite inside the realm of common sense, much less from a cell phone voicemail service. 3 in 10 people don't even know how to transfer files from one computer to the next; and of those, 4 of 5 of them are fearful of even attempting it. The only time people come in for voice recorders is yes, to record answering machines, but only in the case of messy divorces, when the ex has sent you nastygrams that you want to bring into court with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

:(

Overheal wrote: »
    Reminds me of my mom, she's had a DVR recording of when my brother was interviewed on local news 5 years ago. She's going to eventually be forced into a firmware update that will wipe that out but she hasn't backed it up yet.

This is what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,596 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh I've told her. Many times. She has the VCR still. My hands are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

That's sad.

I believe the rapper, Juvenile, had some very interesting things to say about this very subject in his singular composition Back That Thang Up:

Girl, you looks good, won't you back that thang up?
    You's a big fine woman, won't you back that thang up?
    Call me Big Daddy when you back that thang up.
    Ho, who is you playin' wit? Back that thang up.

Powerful and prescient stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.

Logged in just to thank that post, excellent work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's very sad.

Ya weird, exactly that occurred to me as well; sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Would they not just have... recorded it on to ANY OTHER DEVICE.
    If they lost it by accident while attempting to do this I would understand, not attempting to just boggles the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have a friend with whom I have a standing arrangement to delete his hard drive(s) before it gets handed to his parents in the event of his death. :o

reminded me of Jesse in Breaking Bad.

Mr Marston meet Mr Spoiler-tag :rolleyes:
    Haven't watched all of it yet ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm not reading that, I'm only on season 3. God knows what season-ruining text possibly lies under that grey strip.

Edit: I did read it, couldn't help myself. My bad. But it's not exactly a huge spoiler or anything.

Advertisement