Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Easy Day - Navy SEAL revelations on Bin Laden Killing

Options
  • 31-08-2012 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭

Is this guy believeable or just a Chris Ryan/Andy McNabb bullsh!tter ?

No Easy Day tells the first person account of Matt Bissonnette aka "Mark Owen" who with his fellow soldiers flew aboard stealth helicopters into Pakistan to storm the walled compound near the Pakistani military academy and witnessed the killing of Bin Laden. Is this guy believeable of just a Chris Ryan/Andy McNabb bullsh!tter ?

" The official version of events are that Osama Bin Laden appeared in a doorway and looked down the stairs as the SEALs advanced upward and one of the men opened fire. The shots are said to have missed as Bin Laden ducked inside the room just in time. The SEALs rushed the room where a woman was shot in the leg and Bin Laden was reaching for either a pistol or an assault rifle when he was shot and killed.

Bissonnette claims that Bin Laden was actually struck by the first shots one of which went into his head and killed him. He claims that Bin Laden was unarmed and not reaching for a gun when taken out.

As the SEALs were evacuated by helicopter they were forced to crammed inside as one of the choppers had already been destroyed. One of the men sat on the chest of Bin Laden's corpse. "

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-politics/195206-no-easy-day-seal-spills-beans-bin-laden-killing.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Who cares if he was armed or reaching for a gun. It was Bin Laden, the fcuker got what was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It sounds believable since the pentagon are trying to sue him if the book goes on sale.

But yea, who cares if the circumstances are different than reported, dead is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

It sounds believable since the pentagon are trying to sue him if the book goes on sale.

But yea, who cares if the circumstances are different than reported, dead is dead.

I guess they would consider it more of a threat to national security. If they shot him in cold blood, then that may make his followers more likely to retaliate, or could worsen the general opinion of America in the region. It's one thing to fly into Pakistan to arrent someone. It's another thing to go in and execute somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

There never was any intention to 'arrest' OBL.

The intent has always been to eliminate him and anybody like him in the Al Qaida management.

Talking to a few friends over in the US after it happened, most of them would have given up anything, including their lives, to have popped the cap that dropped that POS.

And THAT, is precisely what every member of Team 6 was prepared to do to get the job done.

OBL's followers have been 'retaliating' since the end of the eighties, much of it in advance of an inevitable conclusion in Pakistan.

If you are one the bleeding hearts who wanted a fair trial for the most-wanted mass-murder of the modern era, well, assume that he was tried in absentia, found guilty from the evidence of his own multiple public appearances on TV admitting his crimes, located and executed.

And then respectfully dumped overboard with the rest of the trash. Personally, I hope that he drifted into a half-chewed bacon sammidge on the way down to the bottom of the sea.

tac

tac foley wrote: »

If you are one the bleeding hearts who wanted a fair trial for the most-wanted mass-murder of the modern era, well, assume that he was tried in absentia, found guilty from the evidence of his own multiple public appearances on TV admitting his crimes, located and executed.

Stop being such a miltary stereotype :rolleyes:

I'd have happily pulled the trigger myself. But there are perception issues that people with more knowledge of national security than either of us have to take into account. That's why they're not going to publicise the fact that they just popped him.

There's definitely a debate to have around the whole notion of "assassinations" and it's an argument that, to me, has merits. It also has weaknesses.

But we have to be open minded. We can't just look at the world through "every member of ST6 would have laid down their lives to pull that trigger" soundbites.

There are issues of international law, national sovereignty, due process etc.

Should the police just be allowed to start shooting criminals in Limerick without trial? It's a concept that's appealing, but there's a debate to be had. It sets precedents, it denies fair trials etc, which may not be good for society in the long term.

Questioning assassinations on another country's soil does not make me a "bleeding heart", whatever that is. For the record, I'd be very left leaning but was broadly in favour of OBLs assassination, though I would have some concerns about it. I woudl also have some reservations about admitting it was an assasination. That doesn't make me a bleeding heart. it just makes me someone who has the capacity for independent thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MDPolak

Do you guys really believe in official story about killing ben laden? If you do, it means that Barak Obama is going to win in upcoming election. This is why this hoax was arranged for. To lift him up in surveys, to give him more votes. And the only reason that book is out because there were too many unanswered questions regarding what really happend that night in Pakistan. And I can bet theres loads of bull**** in it people will start to believe. They do already. Job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah tac, take your military way of thinking out of the military forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Well at least the operatives were operating under their own flag and not entering under the passports / guise of a neutral nation in order to assassinate their nation's enemy

discus wrote: »
    Yeah tac, take your military way of thinking out of the military forum

"Fulfilling the sterotype" is different from putting a military perspective forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I admit to it.

If you are less than thirty-two years, three hundred and fifty-six days old, I was in the Army longer than you have been alive.

I just can't help myself.

Sorry and all that if you got offended, but I'm certain that with all that in-built bubbly happiness and optimism that you 100% Irishmen have, you'll soon be over it, and we'll be buddies again.

Meanwhile, OBL remains firmly dead.

Great result, eh?

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    I admit to it.

If you are less than thirty-two years, three hundred and fifty-six days old, I was in the Army longer than you have been alive.

I just can't help myself.

Sorry and all that if you got offended, but I'm certain that with all that in-built bubbly happiness and optimism that you 100% Irishmen have, you'll soon be over it, and we'll be buddies again.

Meanwhile, OBL remains firmly dead.

Great result, eh?

tac

I didn;t mean to be snappy. I just hate it when people think that because I'm a lefty hippy that i wouldn't love to get OBL in a room on my own for a few hours :D

He's probably batter me though :o

And i WISH I was younger than 32 :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Bin Laden died in 2001 of renal failure. This leftist farce would've made Stalin's propaganda men blush. I really wonder what goes on in the brains of people who believe this garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

You could well be right mate!...

(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

I guess they would consider it more of a threat to national security. If they shot him in cold blood, then that may make his followers more likely to retaliate, or could worsen the general opinion of America in the region. It's one thing to fly into Pakistan to arrent someone. It's another thing to go in and execute somebody.

People who are even close to becoming terrorists are not going to be pushed over the edge because Bin Laden was shot rather than captured.

Notice how even the miltiants dont use at as a rallying call? Maybe if a child was killed during the raid but OBLs perceived "invincibility" was an enormous boost to those seeking to wage Jihad.

His death was a victory nearly any way you slice it, a man that killed thousands, and as an indirect result of his actions hundreds of thousands, was specificaly targeting women and childern, and was continuing to do so up untill the moment he was killed is by absolutly any reasonable reckoning a legitimate military target. The idea that just because they knew his name and he was therefore "targeted" somehow makes the killing more "evil" in some way is only ever advanced for political purposes - it has notthing to do with morality.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Bin Laden died in 2001 of renal failure. This leftist farce would've made Stalin's propaganda men blush. I really wonder what goes on in the brains of people who believe this garbage.

Evidence please.

So the video's etc after were a fabrication to?

Any other militant leaders that are "created"?

I take it 9 11 was as well?

The USS Cole, Mossad?

Marine barracks bomb, the DMV?

The raid in Pakistan - just some dude?

Al Qaeda itself - a CIA front?

Do you believe that the views he espouses are imaginary, and that no group believes in them or organises themselves to act on them?

Im just curious as to how deep this particular rabbit hole is.

I worry about the brains of people who believe in enormous conspiracies involving tens of thousands and multiple organisations and governments purely because it better fits their political position.

MDPolak wrote: »
    Do you guys really believe in official story about killing ben laden? If you do, it means that Barak Obama is going to win in upcoming election. This is why this hoax was arranged for. To lift him up in surveys, to give him more votes. And the only reason that book is out because there were too many unanswered questions regarding what really happend that night in Pakistan. And I can bet theres loads of bull**** in it people will start to believe. They do already. Job done

Is OBL, the taliban, Pakistan and al Qaeda in on the hoax to? They would have to be.

SamHarris wrote: »
    People who are even close to becoming terrorists are not going to be pushed over the edge because Bin Laden was shot rather than captured.

It's not as simple as that. It's to do with American perception globally. It's to do with people in Pakistan who don't particulalrly like American now seeing them fly into their country and killing a resident there.

It's not as simple as saying someone will see it, leave their job as an accountant. It's a more insidious thing, where people see the USA as a law unto itself that has no respect for the sovreignty of other nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Yanks were always going to get OBL and, in my view, taking him alive in one piece and putting him on trial was never going to happen.

The alternatives to a special forces operation were fanciful or ultra-violent. The main alternative to the SEALs was an airsrike.

Gates and Gen Cartwright, (the vice-chair of the Joint Chiefs) preferred an airstrike by B-2 Spirit bombers. Gates had been involved in Eagle Claw and opposed "boots-on-the-ground." Cartwright, despite what you might assume, was a Marine general rather than an Air Force one.

However, the Air Force then calculated that to be sure of doing the job they'd need to deliver a payload of thirty-two JDAMs (each weighing over 2000lbs). This would be required to guarantee the destruction of the compound and any potential bunkers under it.

One can only imagine the destruction this would have caused to Abbottabad and at the end of it there'd be no proof they got their target. My view is the US took the "best" option and did everyone a favour, including the residents of Abbottabad.

Is OBL, the taliban, Pakistan and al Qaeda in on the hoax to? They would have to be.

1st tip for you: put 4 words into Google: bin laden dialized hospital. That probably will give you better perspective on OBL case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

1st tip for you: put 4 words into Google: bin laden dialized hospital. That probably will give you better perspective on OBL case.

He may or may not have needed a dialysis machine!? Throw out the 9/11 commission everyone! Arrest the FBI! And the NYPD! Engineers around the world are part of the NWO, do NOT trust them!

Seriously can we start corralling the CT people into the CT forum?

I apologise. That wasn't the best idea to write anything here. Keep waching tv and be happy. Bye.

CT guy.

I apologise. That wasn't the best idea to write anything here. Keep waching tv and be happy. Bye.

CT guy.

Dont watch TV but I appreciate the wish for happiness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Should this book be published at all? Call it a smoke screen but the Pentagon is right that this book may disclose classified information that places Seal members lives at risk in future ops.

http://www.thedailybeast.com
    The Pentagon has determined that the book discloses classified information and that the author violated the nondisclosure agreement he signed when he became a SEAL.

Interesting to hear the other day about guys who had signed up for secret operations for Britain Home Defence in WW2 and still to this day refuse to speak about what they did, Different Era........

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

I worry about the brains of people who believe in enormous conspiracies involving tens of thousands and multiple organisations and governments purely because it better fits their political position.

Cannot express in words how much I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Interesting to hear the other day about guys who had signed up for secret operations for Britain Home Defence in WW2 and still to this day refuse to speak about what they did, Different Era........

Not just the SOE / Commando type people either. I worked in the UK and was freelancing (writing) for a while. I was given a job to write a profile about this very, thoroughly awfully nice chap who was the heart and soul of this village. At 80+ he still played tennis, ran the bowls club, helped with the cricket club, visited anyone who was ill (you get the idea).

Anyway, much to his horror he had been given a "Community Champion" award and the local paper was publishing a profile on him (even more to his horror). He was exceptionally polite but it was apparent from trying to interview him that he really didn't want to talk much about himself, so I enlisted the help of his sons who gave me a load of info and mentioned he had served with the Royal Artillery in WWII.

Being interested in military history I began to ferret around and with the help of his sons we got the full story (which the sons didn't even know about, because he never talked about it). The most they knew was that he had been a battery commander and staff officer through WWII with some time in the desert and towards the end in India.

He never mentioned how he had been evacuated from Dunkirk (on the second last day (3/6/40) or how he had helped fight delaying actions across that part of France, including getting caught behind the German lines twice. He also 'neglected' to mention to his family his time spent with the LRDG.

Wrote the article up and showed it to the sons who, naturally enough, were immensely proud of their old Dad - showed it to the oul fella and he was mortified, and practically begged us not to publish it. Not being in the business of upsetting octagenerian ex-artillery officers, I re-wrote it focussing on the cricket and tennis, with just a brief mention of his wartime service (important to mention the regiment!!!) and gave him all the research including the regimental diaries etc that I got hold of - for which he wrote me a lovely thank you letter, and invited me to have a beer and a chat about his wartime service as I was obviously "interested in all that nonsense." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

easons are selling it for 14 squid as a promotion.

one of the best books ive read so far, 100% recommend it. reads very well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

60 minutes did a full show interview with the author, for those who might be interested. Available as a podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

standing 6 ft 5 he probably would batter you!!

Skinny dude though. They probably went for the legs.

Advertisement