Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CADETSHIPS 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Interesting to see so many Naval Cadets. Usually there are a total of about 8.

Aye, thought that myself alright. Plenty of opportunity in any case. I'll be challenging for one of the 21 army places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

21 Army Cadets?

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Poccington wrote: »
    21 Army Cadets?

I give up.

Do you think its too much, or too little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Is the continued recruitment of Cadets for the Equitation school and indeed the continued existence of the school not a complete anachronism for a 21st century Army ?

I know the propaganda spouted by the Horsey lobby about 20,000 jobs , blah , blah, is all too willingly regurgitated by the media who never seem to challege it , personally I believe the Horse industry greatly exaggerates its importance to the economy . Even if it were true the question has to be asked just why the Army see fit to run an equitation operation when horses left service 70 odd years ago ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Do you think its too much, or too little?

Too much.

The DF as it is, is already top heavy with Officers. Adding in the upcoming re-org and the number of Units almost certainly being downsized considerably, it makes no sense to continue bringing in more and more Cadets to fill vacancies which could very well soon not exist.

It makes no sense.
    Delancey wrote: »
    Is the continued recruitment of Cadets for the Equitation school and indeed the continued existence of the school not a complete anachronism for a 21st century Army ?

I know the propaganda spouted by the Horsey lobby about 20,000 jobs , blah , blah, is all too willingly regurgitated by the media who never seem to challege it , personally I believe the Horse industry greatly exaggerates its importance to the economy . Even if it were true the question has to be asked just why the Army see fit to run an equitation operation when horses left service 70 odd years ago ?

It's ridiculous.

It's like a little bubble in which Edwardian society prospers. The peasants muck out the stables, brush the horses and give the Royalty a leg up onto the horse so they can go for a trot.

In the face of multiple barrack closures, Units being stood down etc. the Horsey School's continued existence is going to become a serious credibility issue for DF leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

While the Irish horse industry may be a huge contributor to the Irish economy, (I don't know either way) surely the money comes from horseracing and not Gymkanas? The ES should be racing in fairyhouse, not posing in the RDS if it wants to promote the irish horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

Hey folks, do they check for photo ID on the day of interviews and/or fitness tests for the Air Corps??? If you could let me know quick that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Hi guys,

Does anybody have a rough idea as to when the Psychometric testing for the Air Corps cadets will take place?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Hey folks, do they check for photo ID on the day of interviews and/or fitness tests for the Air Corps??? If you could let me know quick that would be great!

Who are you planning to send to do the test for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PDF101

Speechless....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 localcentra

OMG does that type of carry on really exist , is that how the family members do it so ? ie get others to go for their tests and the hard selection processes and then walk into the job when someone has done all the hard work for them , it seems a very plausible scenario.
    It was also explain some things.

I too have long-harboured the suspicion nay belief that a certain % of cadetships are reserved for the children of serving officers.
    I would love to see how many of those who are sucessful in the current competition have a Daddy in a position of ' rank '.

That said , it is notable that written tests now form part of the process - there was a time it was interviews and medical only and no doubt that suited some people just fine.

OMG does that type of carry on really exist , is that how the family members do it so ? ie get others to go for their tests and the hard selection processes and then walk into the job when someone has done all the hard work for them , it seems a very plausible scenario.

Family members? What the hell are you talking about?

Of course they check for ID, there is no other way of 'doing it' other than passing the tests like everyone else who has worked hard to do so. I went for a cadetship a few times before. I have so many family members in the Army, in 'the rank', that I often forget how many I have. I went for the cadets multiple times, and did all of the work myself (there is no other way). I passed all the tests, by myself. I did interview and didn't get it. I passed, and did quite well. But I didn't get it... because I didn't score high enough to be in the top number of successful candidates to be called ahead. No other reason. Wise up.

To suggest that it seams 'plausible' that someone could actually have someone else do a part of their selection tests, and then just slot back into the place at the next stage, is completely idiotic, and sounds like something someone would say if they A) Tried and failed and hold a grudge, B) Don't know a thing about how the competition works, or C) Both A and B combined. So these things that you think it would explain... what are they? Is it that you think it might explain why you or someone you know who doesn't have military family didn't get into the cadets having tried before perhaps?

Still baffles me that people think the cadetship competition is still 'jobs for the boys' and all that crap. People can easily say, look how many of them had family in the army. Take a moment to try and imagine how many of the people who didn't get in have family in the army too. Obviously people with military family will be more prone to wanting to become an army officer than others. The Irish Army is something that most people don't know about. People with military family know a lot more about it. Marks in the interview go for actually knowing about the Defence Forces and what its like to be an officer in it. People with military family will know a lot more about life in the army than people who don't have military family. A large amount of officer cadets with military family is an inevitability. It is not caused by an allocated number of places for officers kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Canvassing will disqualify ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I too have long-harboured the suspicion nay belief that a certain % of cadetships are reserved for the children of serving officers.
    I would love to see how many of those who are sucessful in the current competition have a Daddy in a position of ' rank '.

That said , it is notable that written tests now form part of the process - there was a time it was interviews and medical only and no doubt that suited some people just fine.

Have a look at the DF flickr site of recent commissionings - they make a big deal of families in the photos and there are competitively few in the context of the totals commissioned indeed there are a higher % of ex FCA/RDF commissioned in recent years than those who have family serving in whatever rank enlisted or commissioned. Indeed, quite a few of the families in question have an o/r parent and a commissioned son/daughter.

I am continually amazed ast the naivety of some people with reference to the famous '' Canvassing will disqualify '' line.
    It is nothing more than 3 words which in the case of Army cadetships are quite worthless - I myself prefer the following-

'' Unsuccessful canvassing will disqualify ''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I am continually amazed ast the naivety of some people with reference to the famous '' Canvassing will disqualify '' line.
    It is nothing more than 3 words which in the case of Army cadetships are quite worthless - I myself prefer the following-

'' Unsuccessful canvassing will disqualify ''

You obviously missed my ;)

You obviously missed my ;)

I sure did - my bad :o delighted to see we're both reading off the same page , going forward , etc ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Eh no, its the public appointments commission that do the aptitude testing. They couldn't give a flying toss as to who your family are - they're nothing to do with the DF - to them the aptitude tests are simply another service to they provide to another client in the public sector. There are military personell present, however its the public appointments crowd that are running the show for the first stage and they do check for ID - its checked at every stage of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

Does anyone know when should hear back ? When will the interviews be etc ?

• Advertisement

Kiddd94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when should hear back ? When will the interviews be etc ?

From what I remember, a couple of weeks after the application's closing date they'll email you with a schedule of dates for the different stages of the competition. I'm not in the DF though so don't take that as gospel. That's just what they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Hey, just wondering something.

Right, I'm just about to finish the second year of my four year maths degree. Have all the minimum requirements and all that. Fit enough to pass the fitness test, but not my much. Not really involved in any sports.

Would it be a advisable to apply for the air corp cadetship this year to see how it goes, or just wait for another two years, get my fitness up even more, have the level 8 degree and get involved with one or two team sports?

I know waiting has the best chance of actually getting the cadetship, but if I did it this year and didn't get it, say failed the interview or medical or whatever, would there be anything stopping me from waiting till I'm done with college and then re-applying?

Thanks!

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Right, I'm just about to finish the second year of my four year maths degree. Have all the minimum requirements and all that. Fit enough to pass the fitness test, but not my much. Not really involved in any sports.

Would it be a advisable to apply for the air corp cadetship this year to see how it goes, or just wait for another two years, get my fitness up even more, have the level 8 degree and get involved with one or two team sports?

I know waiting has the best chance of actually getting the cadetship, but if I did it this year and didn't get it, say failed the interview or medical or whatever, would there be anything stopping me from waiting till I'm done with college and then re-applying?

Thanks!

You don't need 2 years to get your fitness up, you can be doing that between now and the fitness tests.

You're better off sticking with your course though. For one, you won't get into the AC without a degree, and two if nothing else it'll give you something to fall back on.

I'd apply for the AC anyway though for the experience of the group assessments, fitness tests and so on. At least then when you go to apply again with your degree, you'll be familiar with the whole process and be at an advantage over people applying for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheBigLt

Thanks!
    I'd agree with Turbine, best thing to do is try this year, see how far you get. I spoke with a couple of guys last year who were on their 4th 5th and 6th attempts. Many of whom had only got as far as the physical. Word of advice to anyone thinking the physical is handy and doesn't need much preparation. I saw at least 6 people fail push ups and sit ups. For anyone who doesn't do them on a regular basis you'll get a big shock when you try to crack out the 20 you need to pass.Same with sit ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Alright, thanks!

One other question, what does the medical involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

This angers me greatly...who do you think you are that you may get someone else to do the leg work for you? You will be found out immediately and if for some bizzare reason you are not. The inability and underhanded nature will be sensed at the group stage, which is on the same day as the fitness.

Do some other applicant a favour and put your application straight in the bin and stop wasting decent peoples time.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheBigLt

Alright, thanks!

One other question, what does the medical involve?
    Same as any medical for any area of life really. Lung capacity blood urine also the cough twice job. Hearing eyesight run through medical history. If you are a diabetic or have flat feet there isn't much, well any hope of you passing the medical. Also some operations, like getting your shoulder pinned for example will need a letter from your surgeon to say he's happy for you to be able to carry out the duties of soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

BigDuffman wrote: »
    1:This angers me greatly...who do you think you are that you may get someone else to do the leg work for you? You will be found out immediately and if for some bizzare reason you are not. The inability and underhanded nature will be sensed at the 2:group stage, which is on the same day as the fitness.

Do some other applicant a favour and 3: put your application straight in the bin and stop wasting decent peoples time.:mad:

1: Maybe you should consider anger management classes so?

2:Judging by last years booklet the Air Corps don't have a group stage.

3: Who do you think YOU are to be telling me what to do.

Plus, nobody has awnsered my question yet. If somebody could do so quickly I would really appreciate it. Also is a cadetship like a ticket? As in once you're awarded it is it yours to do with it what you like? And if so what is the going rate for an Air Corps cadetship? This is all purely for informational purposes of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Also is a cadetship like a ticket? As in once you're awarded it is it yours to do with it what you like? And if so what is the going rate for an Air Corps cadetship? This is all purely for informational purposes of course!

Hmm, Troll much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Kiddd94

Have many applied who are currently doing their Leaving Cert ?

Advertisement